Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

[Rhapsodia] So what do you rate it? [spoilers]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: [Rhapsodia] So what do you rate it? [spoilers] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, I haven't found a topic about this yet and I am really bored so if there is, I'm sorry and oh well. :P

So out of 10 what would you guys rate Suikoden Tactics?

I would probably give it about a 8.2/10.

I loved the story (even though it was extremely short), the gameplay is the most solid of all the suikdens (cept maybe II), most of the characters I liked, the music was pretty good (though not great) and the fact it covered some of the more important things missing in SIV is just iceing on the cake. :)

One thing I didn't like about it was how many side quest there where compared to the story. Way to much side questing and not near enough in the main story (I mean I could probably get done with the story in 20 hrs or less).

The graphics just plane sucks in this one. I am really sorry but even III and mabey even I kicks the crap out of this one. Also the way the scenes are done are crap.

Other than that though, a solid Suikoden game.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I thought the story was a little weird even for my taste. At least the whole fish eye thing.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well! Not that I haven't already voiced my opinions on this game in fragments in about a dozen other threads, but here we go. First of all, I suppose I ought to arrange this like a legit review and do some categorical stuff...

Story - 5/10 - It has a fair amount of potential, with the political intrigue transpiring in the Kooluk Empire, and their endless conflict with the Scarlet Moon Empire to the north. Iskas and Heinz both had the potential to be much more interesting than they actually were. Since the story turns out to be about cannons that turn people into fish, instead of about the two Empires, I can't really rate it any higher. It was silly and bizarre, and quite out of place when compared against other Suikoden games. In Suikoden II, Luca Blight was butchering thousands of innocent people, and in Suikoden III, Luc was trying to destroy the world! Fish people doesn't strike the same kind of terror.

Graphics - 7.5/10 - Absolutely mediocre graphics for the Playstation 2. It's quite obvious to me that the machine is capable of a lot more. Play Shadow of the Colossus for twenty minutes, and compare the two. Dissimilar games, perhaps, and its graphics are certainly no worse than those of other tactical RPGs on the system, but also no better. In fact, it looks about like Final Fantasy Tactics to me, with some improvements to environment, rather than models...and that was a PSX game. Still, graphics aren't really the foundation of a game of this type...so I rated it a bit higher than it probably deserves.

Gameplay - 8/10 - Solid, if not especially innovative. It adds a slightly Suikoden twist to the tactical RPG genre, but other than that, it plays about exactly the same as every Tactical RPG ever made. The key to victory is still mobility, and you need to be aware of terrain features (in this case, elemental tiles) that affect your performance. However, stacked up against Final Fantasy Tactics, I felt that Suikoden Tactics essentially confined us to a 2-D world. None of the characters could really jump, and even if they could, there were still only a handful of battle maps where they could even capitalize on it. I like the 'random' level-up system, and the skill system. I didn't have any use whatsoever for 'support' characters or mounts, but I made my way through just fine without them. I think my greatest aggravation with this game is the subject of mages. It annoys me tremendously that if I want to use a Mage, I have to use one of a pre-set group of Mages. I didn't find any of them to be really worth my time, even Simeon and Roget, whom everyone else seems to love so dearly. With the exception of the Rune of Punishment, I didn't even find myself ever needing magic. But still, the game play was solid.

Sound - 2/10 - Here's where this game falls apart for me. No, I'm not talking about the music, though I did find it to be quite unremarkable, as I can't really remember much of it. But what I'm really talking about here is the voice acting. It was terrible, to my mind, quite possibly the worst voice acting since Resident Evil on the PSX, some ten, twelve years ago. Some of you may have been able to deal with the acting better, but even small things like how Kyril pronounces Rune Cannon began to grate on my nerves after...five, six minutes. They changed Lino's voice actor, and he sounds like a total goon, remniscient of his old voice, except lousy. Some of the voice acting was okay...actually, most of it was generally at least tolerable...but when the main character's voice acting annoys you that much, it's hard to get past it. There were a few other whoppers too...I wasn't a big fan of Iskas' voice, nor Corselia's. Of course, I hated Corselia anyway, so that wasn't much of a leap for me.

Rant complete. That gives me a final rating of an astonishing 5.625. The sound really ate Suikoden Tactics for me...and that probably sells the game a bit short of where I would have rated it, if I'd simply given an out of 10 score. I probably would have done more of a...6.5. Meh.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would rate Suiko Tactics at around 8/10.

IMO Tactics made up for Suikoden 4 in every way (I would give Suiko4 a 4/10). It was a mostly solid game throughout it's run and it was a good way to kill time.HEre's what I thought of it by indivdual aspects:

STORY---Well it's the most bizarre story in the series I'll tell you that. Cannon turning people into fish? WTF? I thought that aspect was out of left field and I did'nt expect it at first. I did like to learn about the Kooluk Empire and it's political backgrouonds. Showing that it basically tering itself apart with the people starving, the imperial and patricharchal factions having tension between each other, and how it was threaten by the SME gave way to what would eventually happen to Kooluk. Still it kind of got ruined by the cannons turning people into fish. :? Iskas however was a decent villian and so it was'nt totally a lost cause.

GAMEPLAY--- This being my first Tactical RPG, I was surprised on how fast I got into it. It's really a user-friendly game which is a plus in my book. The element terrains were a good idea to add some strategy into battles so it was'nt that bad. The skill system from Suiko 3 is back and that makes it so you're team and tone up their skills and the fighting runes (Viper, Great Hawk, etc) having their own seperate skills makes up for the lack of magic runes in the game. ONly negative I have on battles is that your characters that are'nt in the storyline that much can die.

GRAPHICS---For the most part good. It does'nt really matter to me about graphics, as long as they are do the job then I', fine.

MUSIC---Better than Suiko 4's music. The variety of battle themes is welcoming, as well as the remixed music from the series (the sad theme for example sounds like "reminsece" from the Suiko 2). My fav track would definitly be "Quake in the Imperial Capital" because of how epic is sounded and it's middle eastern falvor to it.

SOUND---I agree with Parallax on the VA. Most of it was below average, but Kyril was definitly bad. His voice still sounded pre-pubescent and it did'nt match his appearance at all. Another thing I would like to add is that you can't press X while a character is talking, so that means you have to listen to the actor finish his line before you can press X an then have to hear another actor say his line and finish it. WHY CAN"T WE JUST SKIP THE VOICED LINES ??? :x Other than that no problem.

So overall 8/10 with the sound being a negative.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with most of your opinions..but about Kyrils Voice..he wasn't a real human at all... he had such a young voice because he didn't age like a normal human...besides that..For a s-rpg it was more than good enough
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leon Silverberg wrote:
I agree with most of your opinions..but about Kyrils Voice..he wasn't a real human at all... he had such a young voice because he didn't age like a normal human...besides that..For a s-rpg it was more than good enough

Wow good job. You're the first person I saw that came up for a logical explanation for why Kyril's voice is like that.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd probably rate this 8.5/10 mostly for gameplay. The gameplay was just so good!
The side quests were fun as well, which ranks high for me. The story had an alright base, but I still feel they could have done more with it.. especially since it's pretty short. The graphics and music were fine, nothing overly amazing, but nothing horrible either really. I'll agree to the ranks on the voice actors though.. my gods. Why they couldn't stick to the same people from IV I don't know. The younger voices of Sigurd and Hervey still make me cry a little inside. Mind you some of the voices we were done, it's just the ones that weren't.. we really bad. I liked the voices for the new characters Simeon and Roget though. The gameplay really pulls this game through though :)

-My DeviantArt-
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I added the [spoilers] tag just in case. We wouldn't want any PAL gamers to read about Kyril's age before actually playing the game would we?

^Actual quote!
Saphyer

Samui Fubuki

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blazing Camp wrote:

SOUND---I agree with Parallax on the VA. Most of it was below average, but Kyril was definitly bad. His voice still sounded pre-pubescent and it did'nt match his appearance at all. Another thing I would like to add is that you can't press X while a character is talking, so that means you have to listen to the actor finish his line before you can press X an then have to hear another actor say his line and finish it. WHY CAN"T WE JUST SKIP THE VOICED LINES ??? :x Other than that no problem.

Actually you can skip the voiced lines, you push the triangle button when they are talking, that just skips their line and moves it to the next characters, and you can hit triangle again. :D
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saphyer wrote:
Blazing Camp wrote:

Actually you can skip the voiced lines, you push the triangle button when they are talking, that just skips their line and moves it to the next characters, and you can hit triangle again. :D

Oh well I did'nt know that. THat'll make replaying Suiko Tactics much easier on my ears, thanks!:D
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As most people have posted already, I'll give this game a very solid rating of 8.5/10. I didn't think it was exactly remarkable in the story department when compared to the other games(except IV, this was definetely better han IV) in the series. What got me the most was the gameplay, which was probably one of the best in the Suikoden series. It was really addictive as an SRPG, and they certainly gave it a Suikoden feel. So, I'd have to say I was satisfied with how the game turned out in these departments. I too hate Kyril's voice with a passion, but the rest of the cast is very well done. The weirdness in the story didn't affect me too much, since it was interesting to say the least. The fish monster part was just a bit too weird, but nothing too bad. So, there's my rating for this game.

And I do like Leon Silverberg's explanation of why Kyril's voice was like that. I think it's a very solid and possible reason.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As a Strategy RPG, this game pales in comparison to mostly any other TRPG. Konami has the excuse available to them for this being their first Suikoden TRPG, but that does not change my rating in anyway. I only find the game bearable because of the Suikoden name attached to it. I hate it as a TRPG though, despite my long-time wanting for a Suikoden Tactics. I would like to see Konami try again, but they failed miserably this time. An avid or long time old school TRPG player would agree, unless they have a biased mind due to this being a Suikoden game. My love of the series does not blind my judgement.

Rating? 7/10, I suppose. (Suikoden IV getting a rating of 7.5).
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished the game and must say I enjoyed it quite a lot overall. I'd give it an 8/10.

Gameplay: Definately the best thing about tactics. The suikoden series was just itching to have a tacticul game made and they really took a lot of the core aspects and translated them well into the tactical genre. The only thing I ended up not liking was how certain characters can die for good..now I understand this ups the challenge and in the end I think it makes the game that much harder, but me being the kind of guy who HATES getting near the end of a battle only to lose his favorite character...that sucks. So I ended up usually playing it safe with characters that couldn't die ^^;

Story: Meh. I think the same person wrote this as Suiko IV (Junko Kuwano). Yeah...she's not the best at telling stories. But there were good parts and I liked quite a few of the new characters, but in the end I have to agree with everyone else that it was just strange...and it's hard to take a cannon that turns people into fish monsters seriously.

Music and sound: Can't remember much of it...just wasn't very memorable. However the last bit of the game I do recall having some standout tunes that I enjoyed. Still nothing that I was like "ZOMG have to buy soundtrack NOW!" Now then...sound. Voice acting = TERRIBLE. I turned it off very early on to save my ears from hearing it. IV, while a sucktastic game IMHO, at least had decent VO...but this was just beyond bad. I am quite picky about VO though, so maye i'm overly harsh. However it seems most people would agree with me that it blew chunks.

Graphics: Ya know, they are kind of crappy for this late in the ps2's life...but i kinda liked 'em. Sure they could have been better and the people looked close to lego people sometimes...but I warmed up to them pretty quickly and it didn't detract from the game at all for me.

Overall: Fun game. Very addictive. Lots to do. I liked the ending of the plot, but most of the in between stuff was silly. I hope they make more Suiko tactics games and maybe stick more to the political storylines and such that the series is known for and ditch the magical fish monsters of doom. That is all.
Obel Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just beat the game about five minutes ago, and I think it's the time for me to review the game.

Graphics 7/10: I really like the graphics, particularly the character sprites. The cell-shaded, midget cartoon-like characters work for me. I find them totally cute. They look like animated keychains. I really like the backdrops for the battles, too. They're large, lush, and colorful. My favorite was the Frontier Town Haruna backdrop. But what I liked the most was the towns, and how they were hand drawn. Nice. I liked most the face portraits, too, but there were some that I didn't like. Ameria, particularly. She looks weird in this one.

Sound 9/10: The high score goes to the musical score in this game. Most pieces were dark and moody, which fit the game to the tee. The last boss fight got my blood pumping. I credit that to the beat playing in the background. And I really liked the campfire scene music. I really like it a lot, actually. I think that ties to the fact that whenever I hear that music, I see characters from the Suikoden IV interacting with each other, catching up. It's very nostalgic to see this, and the music totally enhances that. The voiceovers could have used some work (Kyril and Lino, for example...), but it wasn't annoying enough for me to lower the score. And hearing some of the Suikoden IV music remixed is a nice little plus, too.

Gameplay 8/10: This is my first strategy RPG game ever. That being said, the gameplay here is very accomodating for first-timers, like myself. Remember that Othello commercial from way back when? Easy to learn, a lifetime to master? Yeah, that's what this game is. It is very simple to do what you need to do; attacking, casting magic, using items is straightforward. The little chat balloons totally help you out, too. It's good to know whether your move will help or hinder you. And I really like the elemental floor tiles; it adds to the strategy. One knock, and this is a very minor knock, is that I really don't like the idea of having your characters die permanently in battle. There are a lot of characters in this game, yet I never used them. I was so afraid that they would die. And one of my favorite things to do in this game is to level up different characters.

Story 8/10: The story starts off a little slow, but through the course of the game, you find out more and more, and everything makes a lot of sense. There are a couple of plot twists in the story, which I really like. What makes the story shine is that it dives deeper into the Kooluk empire and the Rune Cannons. Things I wondered in Suikoden IV were totally answered in this game. The ending left me happy, yet kinda sad, but I liked how everything unfolded.

Overall 8/10: This is one solid title. I highly recommend this game to all of the Suikoden fans. Even if you don't play SRPGs, please give it a shot. You learn more about the Kooluk and the Rune Cannons, which to me, makes it all worthwhile. Just remember to take it easy in this game; don't rush it, else you'll hinder the experience.

^ Shout out to John Layfield. Thanks for the sig, homes.

mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Graphics I liked them they were defubebtly better then all the other Tactic games. However they aren't as good as a regular Rpg but that is understandable due to the fact of how small the characters are and they will have great difficulty trying to make sure it was perfect. My only problem was the fact that they didn't really use the magic graphics very well. It was pretty much each spell had the same graphics as it's SIV counter part from waht i saaw. However the upside is the combo's I like how everyone had their own kind of image for their attack even though most had the same range. ((Princess attack Double Sword attack, and Pirate Family attack)) In conclusion i give this a 9/10((i am really leniant i guess))

Sound Well this is where i was a push over. Although the music was redundant after playing it for a week straight nearly with just food, bathroom, shower, and sleep breaks. But i doubt anyone wwould do that unless it was rainy and everyone left their house for some where. and way BACK ON TOPIC how ever the opening song was fun and i found it reminded me a lot of Suikoden 3 in conclusion i give it a 9.5/10 due to the fact you should not play the game as much as i did.

Gameplay- Wonderful how leveling requires two things. As you level you gain a new skill slot, as well as if you raise a rank in the Quest guild you can go higher in your own skills. Also i found that the characters became very helpful and if you trained all of them certain qwuest become easier. The story was very well better then Suikoden IV because it was more of a Okay i need to find the Rune Cannons and take after my father since he died from the Evil eye. How ever in the end it did change that not just rune cannons had to be stopped anyone who wanted to still use them. in conclusion i have to say that gameplay gets a 10/10

Story Well what can i say the story is just i wanna take after my father as he was so skilled. Even though it turned out he was a spy. However it did change many times. They had to help the Kooluk imperial faction and such. As well as the Side stories and little camp moments that give us a little backround. i give story a 8/10

Overall 9.125/10 It was fun and i enjoyed the week of playing it and i still am so i do not know the whole story but i can say it is atleast close to that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Graphics I liked them they were defubebtly better then all the other Tactic games. However they aren't as good as a regular Rpg but that is understandable due to the fact of how small the characters are and they will have great difficulty trying to make sure it was perfect. My only problem was the fact that they didn't really use the magic graphics very well. It was pretty much each spell had the same graphics as it's SIV counter part from waht i saaw. However the upside is the combo's I like how everyone had their own kind of image for their attack even though most had the same range. ((Princess attack Double Sword attack, and Pirate Family attack)) In conclusion i give this a 9/10((i am really leniant i guess))

Sound Well this is where i was a push over. Although the music was redundant after playing it for a week straight nearly with just food, bathroom, shower, and sleep breaks. But i doubt anyone wwould do that unless it was rainy and everyone left their house for some where. and way BACK ON TOPIC how ever the opening song was fun and i found it reminded me a lot of Suikoden 3 in conclusion i give it a 9.5/10 due to the fact you should not play the game as much as i did.

Gameplay- Wonderful how leveling requires two things. As you level you gain a new skill slot, as well as if you raise a rank in the Quest guild you can go higher in your own skills. Also i found that the characters became very helpful and if you trained all of them certain qwuest become easier. The story was very well better then Suikoden IV because it was more of a Okay i need to find the Rune Cannons and take after my father since he died from the Evil eye. How ever in the end it did change that not just rune cannons had to be stopped anyone who wanted to still use them. in conclusion i have to say that gameplay gets a 10/10

Story Well what can i say the story is just i wanna take after my father as he was so skilled. Even though it turned out he was a spy. However it did change many times. They had to help the Kooluk imperial faction and such. As well as the Side stories and little camp moments that give us a little backround. i give story a 8/10

Overall 9.125/10 It was fun and i enjoyed the week of playing it and i still am so i do not know the whole story but i can say it is atleast close to that.

Don't flame me this is my first rating so please tell me how i did with this>.>
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: