Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

I got Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2! (Spoilers abound )
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelW

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: I got Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2! (Spoilers abound ) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Afer months and a couple years of reading at suiksource and walkthroughs, I finally get to play the games themselves :D ! Now I may soon join in the discussions here now!

I played a little bit of Suikoden 2 at first (up to recruting Millie, Kinnison, etc...), but then I went to play Suikoden 1. I'm playing that first so I can get McDohl in S2.

I'm playing Suikoden 1 (started since Sunday) and I'm all the way to the part where you have to fight Teo's army. And so far I'm liking the story.

I thought the Gremio part at Sonierre was very sad obviously. Does anyone let Gremio come with Tir when prompted at Garan Fortress? I did because Gremio is like a second father to Tir and I know Tir is comfortable around him.

I liked how Flik put it to Viktor at Scarletica Mansion (it was when you're about to recruit Milich, he says something of about how Tir is the leader now) Shows he quickly matured.

I really felt bad for him when he learned about Odessa. The emotions were fittin g (being angry at Tir for example ) But I'm glad people didn't lose thier morale.

It may be me and I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Gen and Komandol remind me of Ace & Joker :D And I like thier Unite Attack too, Awesome damage so far.

And was Kraze going to rape Eileen or something? Did it say why he took her captive?

It may be jumping the gun, but I'm thinking that Hellion is a True Rune bearer from the dialouge when you recruited her. She knew that Tir had Soul Eater already and I think True Rune bearers can only sense other Ture Rune bearers and not "normal" people.

I actually feel bad for those elves. Stubborn as the Elven guy in Suikoden 4. I'm thinking that they immigrated from Na-nal Island. I'm thinking Post-Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2, Kirkis might've been the one who eliminated the prejudice between humans and elves (which is why Roland is in the Zexen Knights among humans )

I don't know about Suikoden 2's army system yet, but I like the army battles in this one better than S3 or S4. I think it should've been like this in Suikoden 3. I could see it in S3:

Charge: Tinto - Lilly+Reed+Samus
Magic: Magicians - Jeane+Viki+Estella
Arrows: Clan Chiefs - Lucia+Dupa+Yuiri
Others: Merchants - Gordon+Dominic+Scott

The music is great. I really love the theme that plays when you're at the McDohl household (it also plays when Sylvina and Kirkis are reunited at Kobold Village) . What is it called?

This topic is to voice my thoughts on the game and Suikoden 2 when I get to play it.

Just one question. Where is the best armor I can get to increase Pahn's Defense and where can I sharpen his weapon to LV 12?

Gotta go!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Congrats on getting a hold of the games, bro. Now for me to ruin some of the 'new game freshness' for you. You'll thank me when you're old and jaded like me.

Quote:
I thought the Gremio part at Sonierre was very sad obviously. Does anyone let Gremio come with Tir when prompted at Garan Fortress?

Gremio wedges his way into the party no matter what you say. It's a reason why Gremio love isn't as huge as it might be. No-one likes a pushy character.

Quote:
And was Kraze going to rape Eileen or something? Did it say why he took her captive?

It's very heavily implied, don't you think? I can't say there's much room for doubt about Kraze's intentions. She wasn't taken away to play checkers, that's for sure.

Quote:
I actually feel bad for those elves. Stubborn as the Elven guy in Suikoden 4. I'm thinking that they immigrated from Na-nal Island. I'm thinking Post-Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2, Kirkis might've been the one who eliminated the prejudice between humans and elves (which is why Roland is in the Zexen Knights among humans)

It's stated that the Toran Elves have lived in the Great Forest region for centuries, while some NPC dialouge on Na-Nal suggests that Na-Nal is in fact an Elven colony.

I think Roland left Toran before the destruction of the village, being disgusted with the rampant racism running through the area.

Quote:
I really love the theme that plays when you're at the McDohl household (it also plays when Sylvina and Kirkis are reunited at Kobold Village) . What is it called?

Damn, I should know this one. I think it might be 'Touching Theme'. However, I might be wrong on that one.

Quote:
Where is the best armor I can get to increase Pahn's Defense and where can I sharpen his weapon to LV 12?

Suikoden I is a pretty linear game, so I suppose the best places to go for both is the last town you've been to in the story-line. If you can't do that and are stuck at the castle or whatever (I haven't played Suikoden I since I go all the characters to level 100. After that I need a good long break before playing it again.) then you'll have to make do with whatever your castle stores can provide.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Zaj

The Lone Gunmen

31884 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Quote:
I really love the theme that plays when you're at the McDohl household (it also plays when Sylvina and Kirkis are reunited at Kobold Village) . What is it called?

Damn, I should know this one. I think it might be 'Touching Theme'. However, I might be wrong on that one.
Touching Theme plays during Leknaat speeches, Main Theme Arrange ~ Guitar Version is the one you're looking for.

MichaelW wrote:

It may be jumping the gun, but I'm thinking that Hellion is a True Rune bearer from the dialouge when you recruited her. She knew that Tir had Soul Eater already and I think True Rune bearers can only sense other Ture Rune bearers and not "normal" people.
Yes, and what makes it even more mysterious, is, that she gives you the Blinking Mirror, how'd she get her hands on something like that? Maybe we'll even see Hellion in Suikoden V so we'll get to see the jorney of the Blinking Mirror from Suikoden IV and forwards.

Let our mercy, as deep as the Feitas, and our authority, as powerful as the Sun, be revealed to the entire World.
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MichaelW wrote:
I liked how Flik put it to Viktor at Scarletica Mansion (it was when you're about to recruit Milich, he says something of about how Tir is the leader now) Shows he quickly matured.

Yes, that part was awesome. Viktor was freaking out, but Flik.. well, you pretty much said it.

Quote:
It may be me and I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Gen and Komandol remind me of Ace & Joker :D And I like thier Unite Attack too, Awesome damage so far.

I never noticed that, but I always felt there were similarities between Kirkis and Franz, and their situations...

Quote:
The music is great. I really love the theme that plays when you're at the McDohl household (it also plays when Sylvina and Kirkis are reunited at Kobold Village) .

The music's GORGEOUS. I always felt that Suikoden 1 had the best soundtrack out of all the games (though Tactics is sorta up there too).

John Layfield wrote:
Gremio wedges his way into the party no matter what you say. It's a reason why Gremio love isn't as huge as it might be. No-one likes a pushy character.

I don't know why Gremio doesn't have more respect from fans. After all, if he hadn't forced himself into your party, your game would've ended like an hour later. (Yes, yes, I know he forced himself into your party for story purposes, but still.)

Quote:
Quote:

It's the Main Theme (Acoustic), but I think the Main Theme (Ensemble) plays when Sylvina and Kirkis are reunited. The two kind of alternate at more happy/defining moments, though.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

El Regrs wrote:
I don't know why Gremio doesn't have more respect from fans. After all, if he hadn't forced himself into your party, your game would've ended like an hour later. (Yes, yes, I know he forced himself into your party for story purposes, but still.)

I don't think it's as much the fact that Gremio was a required party member as the fact that you were given the traditional Suikoden farcical choice (Later perfected in Suikoden II where Shu would just bark orders and you'd have to reply 'ok') over whether to take him or not.

I suppose people just thought "God, if you're coming then let's go, but don't pretend I have a choice, Gremio."

Really, they should be venting on Viktor for telling you to leave him behind, opening up this entire branch of complaint.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well for me it wasn't like that fortunately...

I mean I liked Gremio I wanted to bring it along with me, and other people might too, I didn't care about gameplay excellence when I first played the game only about characters I liked...

So I suppose it depends on who you are, as the maker of this topic I fell for the illusion of choice, and wondered what would have happened if I had chosen no...

We can't and we shouldn't blame the illusion of choice for the first two games, the were released in a time with no KOTOR or Morrowind or whatever multi-path games are out there now, I only care how they do so in the future....

But I'm under the impression that Konami didn't intended you to make a choice in the first place, the reason you get a choice to say what the characters says, and some times even if there is one choice is for you to better pretend to be him...

That is why they are nameless and that is why they are silent...

You are "silent" in KOTOR too, but I didn't see any fans of that game complain.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zaj wrote:
MichaelW wrote:

Yes, and what makes it even more mysterious, is, that she gives you the Blinking Mirror, how'd she get her hands on something like that? Maybe we'll even see Hellion in Suikoden V so we'll get to see the jorney of the Blinking Mirror from Suikoden IV and forwards.

While I'm not discounting this theory, there was a gentleman in Caleria during Luc's chapter in Suikoden III that could sense the power in Luc - unless of course that character had a True Rune which I doubt.

The Blinking Mirror isn't proof of having a True Rune either. Lepant gave it to you in Suikoden II, and while we know where he got his hands on it, just because we don't know where Hellion got it from doesn't at all lead to any proof of True Runes.

I would think the fact that she can sense True Runes is that she's a very powerful mage. After all after the events of Suikoden I she takes over from Leknaat's position - that wouldn't happen to just any old weak magician.

There's certainly nothing to say she doesn't have a True Rune, but I don't think the fact that she knew Tir had the Souleater and the fact that she brought the Blinking Mirror isn't anywhere near linking points to having a True Rune.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
MichaelW

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is me or does Cleo rock with magic?

Because I got done beating Anji and his two companions. I had Tir, Cleo, Pahn, Kirkis, Tai Ho and Yam Koo fight them. I had Cleo use the 3rd spell of the Fire Rune and Tir use Black Shadow. It felt so good damaging them! I think Cleo is a fairly good magician.

It was my third time fighting them and it was tough!

Does anyone kow which characters are good with certain runes (since unfortunately you have one slot )

Now I'm about to recruit Esmeralda and fight Teo's army.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cleo is good with Fire, as Leeknat rather subtly tries to get you to notice.

Flick is good with lighting, Vikor is not really good with any elemental rune, give him a Titan rune, or Double beat, I'm not sure I may be confusing some runes with II, I personally give Viktor an Earth/Mother earth rune but whatever.

You could check on GameFaq's or Suikosource I think they have all the Rune affinities there, eh Luc is good with wind obviously, and well, Pahn has the bore Rune, and Kirkis isn't that good, you can find better long distant characters like Rubi...
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Kirkis, I never use full time magic users (Crowley, Mazus, Luc) except for suikoden III and IV and Kirkis is good both with physical attacks and magic. He stayed in my party till the end and I never had any trouble.
Vessol

Goldstar's Regiment

3495 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm for the last battle I used Tir(main hero) Flik, Viktor, Crowley,Kirkis, and Cleo, it was a great party. I put a Thunder Rune on Flik, Soul Eater of course on Tir, Viktor had a double beat rune(I think), a flowing rune on Kirkis, cyclone rune on Crowley, and a fire rune on Cleo. Yeah I rocked.
Anyways I liked the inclution of multiple runes in Suikoden 2.
Also I just bought Suikoden 2 :) on ebay, I played it before, but finaly actualy bought the game, so yeah its sitting in front of me waiting to be played this weekend when i get my PS2 back.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope you enjoy the awesomeness that is Suikoden II.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Congrats on getting a hold of the games, bro. Now for me to ruin some of the 'new game freshness' for you. You'll thank me when you're old and jaded like me.

Haha, that made me laugh.

Dont make the same mistakes we did MichaelW, enjoy it while you can!
I suggest staying outta' these forums till you're finished.
MichaelW

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was pretty sad dialouge with Teo and Tir ("The gretest joy a father can experience is seeing his son surpass him....") Part of me thinks Teo was a selfish bastard for picking the empire over his son. I mean from the way he talked and etc....

I'm sure if he defected to the Liberation army, Tir would forgive him.

I know he doesn't, but it makes me think Windy gave him a Black Rune, but then when he was defeated, he was broke free of the spell and that's why he talked like he cared for his son all along. But I don't think so, I mean, he let Pahn go. So...........

And who did Maithu mean by saying "Cut this man's head off!" when Tir was about to fight Teo? Did he mean Teo or Tir? If he meant Tir, was he joking? Sorta took me by surprise.

So what was the significance of going back ino the past to the Hidden Village? Was it a test or sometehing before they get the SDS?

I actually liked recruiting Sarah. I like the sprite of her washing laundy :) And speaking of sprites, I like it that when you hit Neclord (when he's invincible, he turns into bats :D )

And IMO, Georges and his bogus card game irritated me :evil:

I'm now at Neclord's Castle with Tir, Cleo, Viktor, Lorelai, Kirke, and Hix in my party.

Kirke's personality is so morbid :twisted:
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, I like that part of the storyline where you have to save Tengaar. :P Even though I find those two (Hix and Tengaar) quite annoying, their story with Neclord is one of my favorites. :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: