Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

[Rhapsodia] What year is it set in anyway?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: [Rhapsodia] What year is it set in anyway? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do I even HAVE to post in this box thing for you to know what I'm asking? I guess so, because the forum demands that I type something. Bloody 'ell....

Anyway! Suikoden IV takes place in IS 305, I assume (still doing my best to bury my head in the sand to escape spoilers) that Suikoden Tactics takes place several years later for the most part with a bit of 'flashbacking' going on.

So, questions are as follows!

1) What is the 'present year' in Suikoden Tactics?
2) What year do those 'flashback battles' and so on take place in?

Answers on a postcard, please.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Forum Poster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What year is it set in anyway? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Do I even HAVE to post in this box thing for you to know what I'm asking? I guess so, because the forum demands that I type something. Bloody 'ell....

Anyway! Suikoden IV takes place in IS 305, I assume (still doing my best to bury my head in the sand to escape spoilers) that Suikoden Tactics takes place several years later for the most part with a bit of 'flashbacking' going on.

So, questions are as follows!

1) What is the 'present year' in Suikoden Tactics?
2) What year do those 'flashback battles' and so on take place in?

Answers on a postcard, please.

1) I read it takes place three years later, so...308, I guess.
2) I believe the "flashback battles" happen over a period of years, the very first being seven years before, but I doubt the last flashback battle is seven years before Suikoden IV.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What year is it set in anyway? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forum Poster wrote:

2) I believe the "flashback battles" happen over a period of years, the very first being seven years before, but I doubt the last flashback battle is seven years before Suikoden IV.

Seven years before Suikoden IV (aka IS 298) or seven years before Suikoden Tactics (aka IS 301)?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's how I see it:

-The first battle in Suiko Tactics takes place around 7-ish years before Suiko 4.

-The battles with Sigurd then Steele take place (I think) the same amount of years before Suiko 4 (7 years).

Then when after that, the game takes place about 3 years AFTER Suiko 4.

Though I don't know how long the events in Kooluk took (probably less than a year).
Konrad

Blazing Salamanders

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i remember something in the game that talked about this

when you begin you will find yourself seven years before Suikoden 4 (Because the Chapter say something like that)

then after the last incident in the "flashback battles" the new Chapter tells it has been three years after Suikoden 4 thats where you begin
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its kinda of funny because the month and the date are based on what you set your month and date on your PS2. I remeber because when I first played it was 11/21 (I think) and when I started my second game for my younger cosin it was 12/25 (chismas day).

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, there is a misconception here. The "three years later" did not use the Island Liberation War (ILW) as its basis. It was referring to the Steele event instead, which took place some time prior to that war. I have no information on the exact time periods, but Rhapsodia roughly took place within three isolated time slots:

1. Back Street of Razril. The first battle where Walter and his entourage ran into Snowe and Hero in Razril. Supposedly 7 years prior to the ILW.

2. A few years later, the Steele-related events took place. No exact dates were given but we know that this must happen sometime after Rakgi's father lost Rune of Punishment and Brandeau gaining it.

3. Three years after the above sequence of events (NOT the ILW), the main meat of the story began with Kyril's finally resuming his father's quest in Razril.

Also, as Georg_Prime mentioned, there is no way we could be sure the actual date when Kyril's quest ended due to the game mechanics.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Given those clues we can figure a few things out.

If the backstreet battles are indeed 7 years before the ILW, and the rest of the game takes place AFTER ILW (Given character interactions) then the second flashback must be at least 4 years after the backstreet battles. The only thing we can't figure out is how long after the ILW the rest of the game takes place. However, if we could figure that out we can ascertain the exact date of the Steele battles.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Forum Poster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think we're getting tripped up over the Steele/Brandeau/Edgar battles. How long did Brandeau really have the Punishment Rune? Most bearers seemed to have it rather briefly before succumbing to its power.

Also Cray had to have time to get the Rune and drag it all the way up to Scarlet Moon, cut it off, have his son inherit it, the son kill the nobles, and the Rune travel back to the Island Nations again.

This is what SARS's timeline has to say about these events:

Quote:
Solar Year 304: Pirate King Edgar Killed
The notorious "pirate king" Edgar is killed while fighting an enemy pirate. The pirate Brandeau avenges his death during the same battle, resulting in his inheritance of the Rune of Punishment from the enemy pirate.

We see this incident in Tactics. SARS's timeline lists the year, which is one year before...

Quote:
Solar Year 305: Island Nations Established
In response to rapid southward aggression and the annihilation of Iluya by the hands of the Kooluk Empire, forces from Razril, Kingdom of Obel, and other surrounding islands including pirates band together. After numerous battles, the Kooluk naval forces are destroyed, resulting in kooluk abandoning its southward ambitions. The islands that banded together for the struggle against Kooluk form the Island Nations Federation. At the same time, Rune Cannons are abandoned for naval warfare purposes due to it being considered "too dangerous."

This entry seems to indicate the Steele battle took place not too long before the events of Suikoden IV. Naturally, the whole sequence of events starting with the audience with Sigurd could have started a bit earlier.

However, "Rune Cannons are abandoned for naval warfare purposes due to it being considered 'too dangerous,'" seems to be referring to Tactics, but...

Quote:
Solar Year 306: Kooluk-Scarlet Moon War
The Scarlet Moon Empire starts invading Kooluk after they are infomed of Kooluk's ambitions against them. The declaration of this war forced Kooluk to abandon its southward ambitions. The war was actually orchestrated by Elenor Silverberg who served the Island Nations forces.

I'm probably misremembering, but I could swear some NPCs referred to the recent trouble with Scarlet Moon during Tactics. And I believe Kooluk was mobilizing defenses against Scarlet Moon in the "Small Border Village."

It should be noted, though, that SARS has not updated the timeline with a certain event that happens at the end of Tactics, so I guess I may be wrong about the year of Kyril's mission. Maybe this will become clearer whenever he is able to get back around to it.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konami has been inconsistent. Previously, they said that Brandeau only had the ROP for a "few months." In Rhapsodia, this has been changed to "three years." I don't think 36 months is a "few months." Damn Konami.
Forum Poster

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:
Konami has been inconsistent. Previously, they said that Brandeau only had the ROP for a "few months." In Rhapsodia, this has been changed to "three years." I don't think 36 months is a "few months." Damn Konami.

ROFL. Well, nevermind what I posted above. But, I guess this isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened. :roll:

BTW, Sars Ad-Minh, has Konami given an official name (a la Dunan Unification War, Kooluk Southern Expansion) to the events of Rhapsodia/Tactics yet?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe they call in the "Islands Liberation War" or something. I don't have any source with me, but I think I heard they gave it a name in the US version of Suikoden tactics. Somebody help me.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep. The "Island Liberation War" would be the English version's name. They also changed a few names of the locations in Koolok, so our map is inconsistent in terms of the names. That's not really that important though.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah, can somebody list all the names of the English versions' official placenames so I can update the map?
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

**Probable Spolier Alert**

Fort El-Eal

The Calreon Laboratory

Terana Plains

Mido Shallows

Ruins of Collanbal

Xasta Grassland

Merseto

Frontier Town Haruna

Small Border Village

Imperial City Graska

Secret Patriarchal Facility

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: