Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rune controversy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Rune controversy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got a question:

Runes are displayed in Suikoden as orbes which can be found or bought and then attached to a person's body part,in Suikoden it was the left/right hand or the head.In "real life" runes are just old signs or writings.
But when I look back at the Rune of Punishment or Soul Eater or whatever it looked much more the signs were like tatooed to the person.So when I thought of that I thought it looks more like heraldic that signs because signs dont just burn themself into the skin or?

See ya Chiep

Last edited by Sialeeds on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune 'crystals' are abosrbed into the flesh using techniques known by Rune Masters. When the rune is attached the rune 'symbol' is tatooed/burned as a result of the rune being attached to the body.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are you that Chieppo?

I agree with John. The crystals absorbed into the bearer's body and the sign come up in the hand (right/left) and head the bearer.

Rune in real life is kind of alphabet. Runic alphabet used by the ancient people and used as magical signs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_alphabet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh I get it thanks!I just thought of it and then somehow I connected it with Heraldic
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The crystals house the runes. A runemaster removes the rune from the crystal, and implants it into a person't hand or forehead.

^Actual quote!
Ormiss

Ashwind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Due to reasons connected with fanfiction aspirations, I am curious about this subject. In the novels, is the process of attaching or removing a rune ever described? Does anyone here know?
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not that I know of, all I can tell you is that as an orb a rune looks like:
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/genso/crest_icon/wind_k.gif

And once attached looks like:
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/genso/crest_icon/wind_n.gif
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt the actual process of equipping a rune has been detailed. However, we do know that the rune itself is, well, a runic symbol, encased within a crystal. As Blue Thunder mentioned, the rune is removed from the crystal and magicially bound to wherever you want it.

It is possible to equip a rune improperly, causing pain to the bearer. It seems the nature of the pain would vary depending on the skill of the rune sage. A decent rune sage should be able to equip a rune to a customer with no ill affects.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok.. so the Rune.. when there "Equipping" or attaching the rune to you.. it's not the actual orb that is what your purchasing.. your purchasing the Glyph... or image and power itched into the Orb... And just like how true runes.. transfer from person to person.. or from a rock to person or whatever... its transfered off of the orb and onto the person..and the glyph then apears on them....then the orbs are just thrown away ^_^

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True Runes seem to work somewhat different, of course...and aren't contained within crystals, but rather have to be borne by a person. That was the entire purpose for creating Luc and Sasarai - to allow Hikuusaak (Is that even how his name is spelled?) to hold onto additional True Runes, without having to circumvent the one-True-Rune-per-bearer rule himself. Since the exact nature of Runes is something that's not really explored, it's hard to say why it's different for True Runes as opposed to the lesser ones, but maybe it's simply the level of power associated with a True Rune being too much for a random crystal.

On this same subject, is there an actual explanation as to why some Runes can't be equipped on whatever location you please, and have to be attached to a specific slot, like the forehead or right hand? I'm thinking Pale Gate here. Also, all of the True Runes seem to favour the Right Hand slot of their bearer, and can't share a bearer with a second True Rune, not even Windy, who's entire life goal seemed to be gaining the ability to attach a second True Rune.

For them to be reduced to the label of simple Runic Symbols contained within crystals would seem to be somewhat at odds with some of the rather more interesting properties that certain Runes seem to possess. True Runes and the like even have a willpower of their own, and the ability to choose their own bearer, which is either more or less pronounced depending on the Rune. The Soul Eater, for example, seemed to obey Ted's wishes, while the Rune of Punishment definitely moved from person to person as it chose...or to the nearest living person, if it had already managed to kill everyone, of course.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Ormiss

Ashwind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it's possible that the simple reason that more than one True Rune cannot be equipped by a single person is that they all have to be on the right hand. With that in mind, there might be some True Runes that can be equipped in concert with each other, as long as one of them is unique enough not to be equipped on the right hand slot. Windy did try to obtain the Souleater, but was rebuked. Unless she's a true fool, it's possible that the Gate Rune (true, Front & Back) is equipped on the forehead. That would certainly explain why the Pale Gate Rune can only be equipped on the forehead.

Ultimately, an elegant solution to a plot hole that is most likely caused by retroactive continuity.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well.. i always figured runes can ofcoarse be combine well if they were ment to I mean. LIke you said the Front and Back of the Gate Rune.. two seperate peices or parts to the same rune... Also the Rune of Begining was able to form on the Hero in suikoden 2 after it leaves jowy it sort of combines I believe..also it combined on his had.. so I dont' think it has much to do with what part of the body. The major difference between normal runes bought at a shop.. and True runes.. are well the most noticable.. are the True Runes are bassically like gods and they have a mind of their own.. and really everyone follows their will. When Those Lesser Runes you can buy.. are just mere reflections or fragments of the True Runes Powers... and alot easyer to control and master since it's only a very small peice or representation.

Monkeys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought True Runes generally attached to the dominant hand. Maybe the Rune chooses where it prefers to be attached. We all know the true runes have their own will.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

how bout runes for the feet? we have head and hands but how about the feet?

are the hands and head only the proper release points of power of the runes?

white tiger should be put on the feet i think? cause wakaba uses his feet while tapping the power of his teqhnique rune.

yes. i think true runes attached itself to whomever or whatever it wants to attached itself unto. souleater refuses windy. but i don't know about the case of hugo. :? since true flame is gotten from hugo.

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Runes can be attached anywhere on the body. The in-game representation of runes being attached to the head and feet only is merely a gameplay mechanic designed as a limitation to the amount of runes one can equip. For example, Leknaat's half of the Gate Rune is attached to her chest and Crowley has over one hundred runes attached to himself, surely not all of them are attached to his hands and head.

True Runes seem to be sentient and so can make the choice of who or what to attach itself to, if it wants to attach itself to anything at all. At the same time, a True Rune can be 'forced' to attach itself to something if enough power is used. The sheer power of the True Runes would make such events extremely unlikely, however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: