Suikoden Unique and Infamous Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Overrated Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think FFVII was the most overrated game.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whether a game is overrated or not is a matter of opinion, so if most people think FF9 is a good game or just OK and Dooz thinks it sucks then in his opinion it's overrated. Not that I agree with him on it being a bad game, it's proably my second favourite final fantasy. Red and Black Pesmerga are entitled to disagree on whether or not FF9 is a good game or not but they can't say his opinion on whether it's overrated or not since there is no right answer.

Red wrote:
And on that Note, if ANYONE says Final Fantasy Tactics is overrated they'll get an "e-punch to the face" from me. That game was nothing short of brilliant. Music, gameplay, character development. It deserves all the praise it receives, hands down the best Final Fantasy game to date.

The game is o v e r r a t e d. Maybe it's because I haven't completed it (I only finished the first chapter thingo) but there was nothing about this game that struck me as brilliant, just a better version of the Tactics Ogre games (Of which none were as good as Ogre Battle).

skymansxeno wrote:
Even though I think it is a great game FFVI is way overrated by the fans. It's the most overrated game ever in my opinion.

Completely agree with you, well not completely, FFVI is a decent game not great.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huh? How can you say Tactics is overrated if you're still at the beginning of the game?

That's like saying you read/watched 10 minutes of Lord of the Rings (comparable to Tactics because it's a lengthy story) and claimed that it's overrated. It's unfounded. Tactics is brillian because the customization is so amazing, that just picking what abilities to group on yoru characters serves as just a basis of what's fun in Tactics. Not to mention the AMAZING plot which is comparable to Suikoden I-III. It's full of political intrigue, LOTS of characters, amazing characterization....FFT is a God among SRPGs. Yes, Tactics Ogre did it before Tactics, but guess what? Matsuno made some Tactics Ogre games too! And also, FFT is the only SRPG I can think that can be as hardcore or casual as you want it to be. The game's not overly complez, but it's subtle in regards to what there is to do. There's not much to do at first glimpse but if you want to be rewarded in trekking into the unknown, you'll get your money's worth. If you just want to go through the game's main story getting the plot, you can. If you want to level up and get abilities, you can and you can do it spades. FFT is an example where simplicity is king. It's a simple system that doesn't overdo it (Disgaea), but offers just as many rewards as bigger, more grandiose rpgs. FFT is a classic. It's the only game where I ever bothered to stay in one area for hours on end getting abilities and leveling up. I recently played it for the time this past spring. Definitely one of my highlights of the year.

But then, opinions are opinions I guess.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that you mention it the Lord of the Rings is overrated (both the books and the movies). But that's off topic.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can we all just agree that anything that is popular will seen as overrated in the eyes of certain people?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dooz, I think you missed the point here. What we meant with the term "overrated" here is when people in general put a certain game at such a high pedestal when and you don't consider it to deserve to be there. So it's not a simple case of "many say it's good but I don't like it" like what your opinion of Final Fantasy IX is. So while in your opinion Final Fantasy IX is rated higher than it should be, it's not exactly the "overrated" that we're talking about here.

Himuro, your last post is exactly why some people consider FFT to be overrated. Opinions like "FFT is a God in SRPGs" or "FFT is the only game that ..." are exactly why a game could be overrated. You might really like it *that* much, but it still doesn't mean that it's the perfect game like the impression that we get from reading your post. No game is perfect. There are really really really good games out there, and one would be the best for you, but by no means perfect. And when a game is described as if it is, that's where it really hits that it's overrated.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i see what you mean now, its all relitive i suppose.

i think the sacasm thingy is just when people use sarcasm to be nasty (im not saying you did, just explaining) a little bit of sarcam in the right context makes for qute a refreshing disscusion i find at least, but not in the being mean for no reason way.

oh and MGS is way over rated
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Dooz, I think you missed the point here. What we meant with the term "overrated" here is when people in general put a certain game at such a high pedestal when and you don't consider it to deserve to be there. So it's not a simple case of "many say it's good but I don't like it" like what your opinion of Final Fantasy IX is. So while in your opinion Final Fantasy IX is rated higher than it should be, it's not exactly the "overrated" that we're talking about here.

Okay, listen (Or read... You know what I mean).

Himuro obviously does not think that Tactics is overrated. Why? Becuase he thought the game really did live up to it's hype. But you didn't think it lived up to it's hype, so you do think it's overrated. You think that's not relative? It is all OPINION. Hype is based on opinion. That is a fact. You would not create hype if you did not like it, and liking or disliking something is your own personal opinion.

Thus, when I think that Final Fantasy IX sucked, I also think it was overrated, since most people did not think it sucked.

Understand?

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dooz, I understand (and had understood from the beginning) your point and I understand your idea of the term "overrated". I'm just saying that it is not what we're talking about here. There are two different "overrated" here.

1. What you're talking about.
Overrated: Something that people rate higher than what you rate.
Example: Someone gave a game 8/10 while you give it 6/10.

2. What we're talking about.
Overrated: Something that many people rate so high (as in "the best") while you don't think that way.
Example: Someone gave a game 10/10 while you gave it 9/10.

So while I understand that Final Fantasy IX is overrated to you in #1, but it's not in #2 because while many people consider FF IX to be a good game (8 or 9 out of 10), not many would say that it's the best (10 out of 10). If you ask Final Fantasy fans for the best Final Fantasy game, you're not going to see many saying that it's Final Fantasy IX though you would probably see it in their top 3 often.

And I never said that FFT didn't live up to its hype. I only said that when people start to try to say that a game is perfect or a God etc, it's when others would start to think that the game is overrated because objectively, there is no such thing as perfect game. So when Himuro asked a question such as "How can you think that FFT is overrated", I simply said that the opinions that FFT is a God in SRPG and so on (like his) is exactly the reason why people could consider FFT to be overrated. And many of FFT fans really try to make it sound as if it's the perfect game. While in reality, there are still lots of room for improvement.

And I do understand Himuro's fandom to FFT because I'm like him as well, just with Suikoden II (as I've posted first time in this thread). But the difference between the two of us is that I still acknowledge Suikoden II's flaws and the fact that it's not a perfect game.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would probably have been better if we had stuck to a couple of shining examples of games that spent too long in development and had too much effort put into hyping them relative to what they delivered. I wonder how many people would honestly say that Fable was everything that it was cracked up to be. Beyond examples like that, where sentiment seems to run almost universally in one direction, it's all going to be based on opinion.

Quote:

1. What you're talking about.
Overrated: Something that people rate higher than what you rate.
Example: Someone gave a game 8/10 while you give it 6/10.

2. What we're talking about.
Overrated: Something that many people rate so high (as in "the best") while you don't think that way.
Example: Someone gave a game 10/10 while you gave it 9/10.

You're making an extremely fine distinction here...and one that's maybe not always applicable. What if everyone I know thought Final Fantasy IX was a 10/10 game and I thought it was a 4/10 game? In my experience, all of those people rated the game as "the best", and I didn't. But if you know different people than I do, or tend to read more reviews than I do, and your experience wasn't that all sorts of people rated Final Fantasy IX 10/10, then your distinction is hard to apply...because it could easily be founded as much in personal experience as your first example, which is a case-by-case comparison.

Case in point, I could never consider Final Fantasy IX to be overrated, because none of the people I interact with on a regular basis (including me) liked it. I could consider Final Fantasy VII to be overrated though, because a lot of people I know thought it was the best game ever, and I thought it was mediocre at best. That's a poor example, because Final Fantasy VII really is hyped to death...but I still feel like you're trying to make a serious case out of an extremely slender thread. Some people may not even be aware of the "general hype". Some people don't exist in a community of gamers, and don't tend to share their ideas about games as often as others among us, and some circles have wildly different tastes.

Your perception of how hyped a game is could depend a great deal on what form of communication you participate in the most, and how it affects you. Someone who never read game reviews, for example, might never have heard of Fable until it was released. Just because others here heard all the hype doesn't make the opinions of those who weren't immersed in it any less valid. By the same token, some people may have had a game hyped to death by their circle of friends and found it lacking, and simply assumed that others felt the same way as their friends.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax, that's exactly the point. I'm not saying that the people who have never read game reviews don't know anything and not entitled to their opinion, but it is quite safe to say that those who don't really hang out in a community would know less than those who do hang out in a community.

Hence, when Dooz said that many people are high on Final Fantasy IX, I'm not saying that he's wrong, but it is conflicting against what I have known before. Because as far as I know, there are many more people who are high on Final Fantasy VI, VII, or even VIII (a game that I consider as a love it or hate it) instead that makes it Final Fantasy IX to be not overrated. While I'm not active in Final Fantasy fandom anymore these days, that idea is supported by Red Cydranth who is still active in Final Fantasy fandom community. So I take it that what I knew back then is still quite accurate these days, that Final Fantasy IX is still not the one that is most popular among the fans.

I don't know how much involved in a Final Fantasy community Dooz is, but I'm guessing not that much because of the dislike to the newer Final Fantasy games (normally, if you don't like the newer games, especially since it has been like 5-6 games, you'd be less active in the community because they just don't produce anything you like anymore).

Quote:
Some people may not even be aware of the "general hype". Some people don't exist in a community of gamers, and don't tend to share their ideas about games as often as others among us, and some circles have wildly different tastes.

This is a really good point. But at the same time, you can't really say something is overhyped if you've never heard anything about it (or only heard from few). That's why I think you'd have to know what you're talking about first before claiming that something is overrated or not. You can't just claim that something is overrated when you've only heard good things about it from your friends.

And taking it back a bit, Dooz is right that it's all about opinions, but at the same time, we're trying to discuss an overrated game that is based on general opinions that the games are "all that" while you don't think so. That way, we can have some basis to discuss things.

If it's simply really based on "they think it's good while I don't", then everygame is overrated to someone because every single game must have some people that don't like it. If that's the kind of "overrated" we're talking about here, then every game is overrated. And as a fact, not every game is overrated. Hence, there must be a line that defines the "overrated" that we're discussing here. And that line is the general opinion of the players in the community.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes well that's enough on Final Fantasy IX for now...

Some more overrated games:

ALL the Mario games except Super Mario RPG for SNES

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also think FF IX is overrated I completed the game in my first playtrough in 12 hours :shock: That is to short for a RPG and especially a FF game.
Fifa 2006 is also totally overrated it isn't good at all, Pro Evo is much and much better
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In most reviews FFIX is reviewed right, as a very good game, a very good RPG and a back to the origins Final Fantasy with all the good and bad things that brings with it. However, it was one of the FF's that passed away on people and, because of that, those who liked it tend to overrate it a little just so the others play them too.
Also, I know people who completed FFIX in less than 11 hours on the first playthrough and never played it again, but they missed many things in the game, consequently missing half of the fun.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but still the first time I played FF VII it took me over 50 hours without getting al the extra things like the limits some summons and the ultimate weapon and such. FF IX was a nice game but I thought it was overrated especially here in Holland where FFIX got a better review then VII and VIII.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: