Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Overrated Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, take it easy people, err, I'll disregard the above and go ahead with my own stuff...

Halo 2

Now that is an overrated game, the single player though better in some areas is but a shadow of the original's former self, the storyline got very cliché, though not form me personally since I rarely read any si-fi stories, and they basically gave us an incomplete game, they also changed the game engine a bit, to be focused with the X-Box Live aspect of the game (I'm coming into that don't worry).

The new health bar was designed so you should die faster, and that was done to fit multiplayer and not single player scenarios, you don't respawn in single player just where you got killed do you?

The game was easy, on every difficulty but Legendary, and the foolish dudes made the first stage on Legendary the most difficult in the whole game, the first stage right, that really puts people off playing in that difficulty, especially if you're not aware of the game engine yet.

Now on live is not that bad, but the speed in which your character moves is pathetic, and the importance placed on the Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher is too much.

Overall I'll consider it an OK game, but not the legend some consider it to be, because it's not.

Final Fantasy X
I was disappointed with X, it has a lot of flaws, and the storyline didn't do it for me to say the least, I liked Auron as a character, but the rest were not up to my standard, well except Lulu perhaps.

After spending now I can officially say, 700+ on it, I know it's short comings more than anyone, I consider it overrated since some people dare to say that it is a milestone of this generations RPG's.

Suikoden III

I'm saddened to say this, but the game is not what is consider to be, I used to consider the Edge Magazine's 6 score unfair, but once I played the game I happen to agree with it.
Everything on the game seems a bit too much like some juvenile anime, I don't mean that in the violence, sex and language factor, but in anime gags that may just be some small side plot reference to lighten the mood, taking center stage, namely Chris and her knights, that was given a lot of attention while it should have been but a comedic relief, the gameplay, is, well past the skills the worst in the series for me, the importance given to the Tenkai didn't settle well with me, I still can't get over some of the Cheesiness in some places (but that is perhaps due to translation), don't throw any rocks at me but at many respects IV was better.

I'll list anything else later...
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita: Yes mod.
Keo

JutsuNinjas

1161 Potch
4 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Silent Hill 1 it just sucked.

Controls:They where the worst part a side from the story. The controls where uncoropertive. Also porley positioned

Grafices:Wernt bad for its time but it wasnt great or outstanding.

Story:Was complete cheese. You go to Silent Hill and rest next day its a ghost town peartymuch and monsters are attacking.
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All Final Fantasies past 6. Note: I'm saying they're overrated, not bad. (Well, actually, 8 and up were really bad. Especailly X. But I digress.)

Nippon Ichi games. They're all the same game.

Halo, of course. Still fun, but definately overrated.

GTA series. Yeah, GTA 3 was great, but not best game ever.

Diablo. I couldn't play it for too long.

All Soul Caliburs. As fighters, they really really suck. All you do is button mash. How's that fun? Play Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution for a real fighter.

Doom 3. Holy crapfest galore. This game was so bad I deleted it form my computer within 30 minutes of installing it.

Kingdom Hearts. It's Dark Cloud with annoying characters and a bad story.

Every Castlevania game. Back in the SNES days I rented Super Castlevania. Wow. Boring and generic even back then. I played that one DS version that everyone's raving about not long ago and it's still just as boring.

God of War. Totally lackluster. I don't get the draw.

Animal Crossing. I rented it. Played for 5 minutes. Then turned it off and returned it.

Nintendogs. Just... No.

Wario Ware. A lot of crappy minigames piled into one game. A lot of crap piled on to of eachother doesn't make gold. It just makes a huge pile of crap.

Whew. I wonder if I missed any? :P

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

for me, it has to be xenosaga; i'm not into epic cutscenes and super slow battle systems, let alone ditsy lead characters. this one failed to reel me into the series, period.

anything with final fantasy in the title is much the same; every game i'd seen clips of failed to ignite anything approaching serious interest.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dooz wrote:
All Final Fantasies past 6. Note: I'm saying they're overrated, not bad. (Well, actually, 8 and up were really bad. Especailly X. But I digress.)

I disagree with this on Final Fantasy IX. People tend to be high on 7 (because it's the first 3D one), 8 (because it has wonderful graphics -TONS of improvement compared to 7), and 10 as well as 10-2. But I rarely see people praising 9 without having good reasoning behind it. Very rarely people put 9 as the top FF game (I'm one of the few). So I don't see how it's overrated.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see how X-2 is overrated. Everyone hates on that game beceause of the girly dress up stuff and fluff plot.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate it because it doesn't seem like a RPG. It seems a mission based action game with a "not so good" RPG battle system. The dress ups and th plot are also anoying, as are most of the minigames.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though I think it is a great game FFVI is way overrated by the fans. It's the most overrated game ever in my opinion.

A few others though:

FFVII(even though it is still one of my favs :P)

Any of the HALOs

Any of the GTA games

The old Mortal Kombat games were way overrated in their prime.
Lord Vader

Lord's Minions

4417 Potch
721 Soldiers
20000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am happy to see that there are not any Halo fan boys just attacking the few of us that think Halo is overrated. It is also good to see that people can agree that Halo(1 and 2) are overrated.

General of the Godwin Army
United States Navy ATF-HT
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Dooz wrote:

I disagree with this on Final Fantasy IX. People tend to be high on 7 (because it's the first 3D one), 8 (because it has wonderful graphics -TONS of improvement compared to 7), and 10 as well as 10-2. But I rarely see people praising 9 without having good reasoning behind it. Very rarely people put 9 as the top FF game (I'm one of the few). So I don't see how it's overrated.

I see tons of people high on 9, actually. People consider it to be a "back to the basics" type game, which I severely disagree with, thus they riddle the title with praise.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

By the term overrated, it means as a general whole the majority of people think this game is better than what it actually is. I am part of a few Final Fantasy sites (FFP, Eyes On FF) and the majority consensus there is that Final Fantasy IX is a good game but not teribly overhyped like VI, VII and X, nor is it terribly dogged like VIII. Final Fantasy IX isn't really over rated, only be a select few do people love it more that the rest of the series and that is opinion, not rating it over its actual value.

People are allowed to be fans of a game without it being overrated. I have a friend who proclaims bubble bobble for NES as the best game in history, but just because one person rates it higher than its deserved rank doesn't make it over rated. Now if everyone here agreed that Bubble bobble was god gift to humanity then the case can be made, but if a small group like the game a lot, it is not considered overrated. This holds true for Final Fantasy IX. May people played it, many liked it, some disliked it, but very few herald it as a work of video game art.

As much as I love the game, Shining Force is definitley overrated. Those who play it, like myself, seem to feel that this game is worthy of being the first induction to the Video Game Hall of Fame. I love the game and replay it all the time. But its essentially a low rate Strat RPG and nothing more. Most characters are highly underdeveloped and the stotyline is extremely predictable, however this game is overly loved, thus it truly is overrated. But I could care less because I simply love this game with my existance.

It is difficult for some of us to be able to differentiate between favoritism and overrated. Final Fantast as a series, overrated. Final Fantasy V, underrated. Final Fantasy IX, rated perfectly fine. Sure many love V but it doesn't get the love it deserves. Some love IX, some abhor IX, most just accept IX as a decent game. Halo, Overrated. Skies of Arcadia, Underrated. Resident Evil as a series, Rated properly.

Also like I beleive Sophita said before, Overrated doesn't mean the game sucks and people love it anyways. Usually the games that are overrated are good but not as good as people say. Halo and Final Fantasy VII are both good games but not to the extent where people pledge their lives to them. Of course I don't beleive any game should be devoted to like many devote to Halo and Final Fantasy VII.

Himuro wrote:
I don't see how X-2 is overrated. Everyone hates on that game beceause of the girly dress up stuff and fluff plot.

I agree with you here. X-2 was generally hated and if anything its underrated because the game, once you get pat the girliness actually has some decent playability. The storyline isn't that bad once you get a few chapters in and the Dressphere system is a rehash of the very successful Job System that made Final Fantasy V great and Final Fantasy Tactics the work of art it is.

And on that Note, if ANYONE says Final Fantasy Tactics is overrated they'll get an "e-punch to the face" from me. That game was nothing short of brilliant. Music, gameplay, character development. It deserves all the praise it receives, hands down the best Final Fantasy game to date.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!

Last edited by RedCydranth on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
I hate it because it doesn't seem like a RPG. It seems a mission based action game with a "not so good" RPG battle system.

Huh? Replace the word missions with sidequests and you have FFX-2. I guess Suikoden is an adventure game because it puts emphasis on sidequests huh?

Quote:
And on that Note, if ANYONE says Final Fantasy Tactics is overrated they'll get an "e-punch to the face" from me. That game was nothing short of brilliant. Music, gameplay, character development. It deserves all the praise it receives, hands down the best Final Fantasy game to date.

Agreed.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dooz, tons of people high on Final Fantasy IX doesn't really make it overrated. Like Red said, being overrated would have to be high on the whole community instead of a select few. And among the many Final Fantasy series fans, I'm sure there are not many who would put Final Fantasy IX as the best Final Fantasy game. Many would only say it's great, but rarely say it's the greatest. Hence, not overrated IMO.

If those think that Final Fantasy IX is "back to basic" and that's why it's great, then it only shows that they like "basic" Final Fantasy game (which could refer to I-VI). So it's quite safe to assume that those people would love I-VI more than IX because IX only (not literally) replicate the I-VI.

It's like the Suikoden II fandom when there are sooo many people want the next Suikoden game to be like Suikoden II. If Suikoden IX turned out to be like Suikoden II and become a "back to basic" kind of game, many would love the game, but I doubt they'd say Suikoden IX to be better than Suikoden II.

Himuro wrote:
Huh? Replace the word missions with sidequests and you have FFX-2. I guess Suikoden is an adventure game because it puts emphasis on sidequests huh?

Dude, stop with the sarcasm. Really. We don't need more posts like that over here. Especially after a mod-post from Sophita to warn all of us.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think you people understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that I don't think that Final Fantasy IX was good. At all. Most people do think it's good. Thus, to me, it's overrated. To other people it may not, this depends ENTIRELY on your personal viewpoints. But in my eyes, it is severely overrated.

Duh.

And I don't get what's so horrible about sarcasm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: