Suikoden Utopian and Informational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Overrated Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its A Catapult

Arcarsenal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PF wrote:
Alot of decent calls here, FFX was good not great but I think alot of reviews got wrapped up in it's appearance and the OMG it's got voices factor. Annoying voices, god I hated the laughing scene.

The pond scene made me hurl.

That was more tacky than the entire Squall/Rinoa relationship...and given that Squall was gay they had to try hard for it.
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Two words.....Final Fantasy......

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

two words and lots of dots

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:
FFX is the most overrated piece of poo I've ever played. Horribly shallow characters, unrealistic development, horrible voice acting (besides Belgemine), boring story, pudding-like end boss, stupid twists, lack of color. Where exactly is the good point of this game?

The sphere grid? If you think it's the sphere grid, go ahead and write out what the sphere grid is on a piece of paper. Then write "That is what makes the game fun" Then read it outloud and if the sound of your thoughts doesn't kill you from wrongness, then perhaps your god (or some good intentioned passerby) will put you out of your misery. The graphics? Well, when you make all the characters so ridiculously ugly, it's kinda bad when you can see them more clearly. OOOH Bot ZOMG u c@n l13k 533 1u1u'5 8008@63!!! The replay-ability? I was almost in tears when I finally finished the game the first time. It was like enduring POW torture.

The sphere grid was amazing. How is it not fun compared to simply leveling up? How are FFX's characters shallow? What's wrong with the colors? The colors are full of bright, likable colors that suit the game. Lack of color? You must be color blind. Unrealistic development? How? Wakka dealing with racism in the most realistic way presented in a game yet? Tidus's struggles with his childhood and being able to overcome bad things by just putting a smile on his face? Yuna's will to sacrifice herself to save Spira, but was just as reluctant to do so?

Quote:
That was more tacky than the entire Squall/Rinoa relationship...and given that Squall was gay they had to try hard for it.p

What the heck? Squall was not gay at all.

Tidus and Yuna's relationship was way more realistic than Rinoa of Squall's.

Last edited by Himuro on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not every Final Fantasy isn't over rated. I've never heard anyone rant on hof Final Fantasy II is the shining example all RPGs should be cast upon. Nor was Final Fantasy IX heralded as a crowning acheivement and held up on fanboy pedastals. I will agree that Final Fantasy VII, VIII and X are heavily favored and over dramatized as being better than they actually are. But if you notice, for the majorit of these "Overrated" games you all are saying sucked, we all own them or have played through them. Thus the company did its job and marketed the game well. I like the analasys of The Movies and Fable becuase these games WERE flops in all aspects. They were hyped before their release and then failed to show any promise once released.

It all depends on how you perceive the word "overrated" By critics or by fans. Critics will proclaim certain games to be phenominal and then they fail to be anything but. And then there are games that fans go ape over and at one time you probably did too, but now you're all sick of hearing it all.

Final Fantasy VII was a good game and anyone who disagrees has to be lying through their teeth because there are MANY examples of bad games out there (Beyond the Beyond, Guardian's Crusade and Legaia 2 come to mind). I think people's beef is the amount of fanboy praise this game receives. Like the fools who proclaim Sephiroth as their Emo god or some crap. This isn't the game's fault and its on the immaturity of the 15 year olds who play it. The game employed a decent magic system, innovated the Limit system and had a very intriguing story. Even in terms of all the Final Fantasy games, few have the in depth character bios of this game. By the end of the game, if you chose to do the sidequests, you know a lot about each character. You can't say that about too many RPGs before this. I was revolutionary for its time and deserves a lot of praise. I'm not saying it is the best RPG ever like the fanboys, but it does deserve credit.

Also, to that extent it helped launch the Sony Playstation as the premier machine for the Role Playing industry. I know a large portion of people purchased a Playstation so that they may play Final Fantasy VII and once they did they started to buy other games in that genre like Breath of Fire III and other early Playstation RPGs. Final Fantasy isn't overrated, its just over appreciated.

A game that I find overrated is Halo. I know it is the Final Fantasy VII of X-Box, but this game has done nothing to advance the FPS industry. I see no difference, besides the graphical quality, between Halo, Quake, Half-Life and Unreal Tournament. Maybe this is why I abhor all FPS. You run around and shoot things trying to shoot, eat or in some way destroy you. I guess this is why I love Duke Nuken 3D over all these other FPS games still. At least that has witty commentary and strippers. Oh, and Rise of the Triad had some nifty weapons and made a large number of very creative levels which took more than firepower to get through. So seeing as I find no difference between all these FPS games (Unreal Tournament made anti-gravity an option which was some sort of innovation, I thought I'd mention it somewhere) Halo to me seems extremely overrated.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Red: If I think a game is overrated, it doesn't necessarily mean it sucked. FFVII, while being overrated is still a great game, and a great rpg to start out with.

Red, play Riddick. I don't care for the fps genre at all and I am AMAZED by that game. It's about more than just shooting. You can use stealth and a whole slew of other gameplay options.

UberYuber wrote:

And for all of you people who said Suikoden II... I'm shocked. Considering that I, III, IV, and Rhapsodia were all mediocre to awful games. Overall, this game is severly underrated. Among the Suikoden community, it really doesn't have an equal in comparison to the rest of the games in the series.

Hell no. Suikoden IV is the only mediocre Suikoden if you ask me.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:

The sphere grid was amazing. How is it not fun compared to simply leveling up?

Because all I did was teach three people 3 spells and stopped using it after that because it was an extra hassle. Not to mention you could be lvl 99 and if you didn't find those lvl 4 sphere grid keys, you couldn't get a new spell that would prove to be useless anyways. For 75% of the game, I didn't use it at all... then I went back and taught everyone everything simply to have it all done. It allows you to customize your characters the way you want, but I'd rather just have them customize themselves. Who really cares?

Quote:

How are FFX's characters shallow?

That's kind of an odd question. How are they not shallow? None of them are well rounded characters. Most of them can be described in 3 words. Square often thinks making a character "deep" means hiding everything about their personality for 3/4 of the game. This doesn't make them deep, it makes them bland.

Let me just give you my impressions...

Yuna - First off, there is hardly any emotion in her character lines which pretty much destroys any effect she can have on a person. She might die? Excuse me when I display more emotion than her by saying... *yawn* Her development is crazy linear because she's essential to the story, but her quiet... was that enthusiasm? What the heck was it? I have no idea.

Wakka - Voiced by the same guy that did Bender Bending Rodriquez on Futurama. The dreaded closemindedness about... uhm... everything... who seems to hold out until you're ready to kill him and then he simply overflows changing everything. Gotta love that "BOO YAH!" shout every time he ends the fight. Actually, you can't love it. You have to hate it unless you play the game on mute which was my particular favorite way to play it. Let's face it, Wakka is your standard Derek Vinyard unbelievable transformation from night to day. It's almost like they're trying to fake that he has a personality. Wait... wait... he can change... wooooo! Later on in life, he marries his sister and they live happily ever after having some of the greatest conversation any one could imagine.

Wakka: "Hey looo"
Lulu: "...."
Wakka: "Boo yah!"

Tidus - Anyone can tear Tidus to shreds. Tidus was actually voiced by the guy who did Yancey (Fry's brother on Futurama... see the running theme here?) The guy is a tad bit overkill on his emotion in the voice acting nearly exploding any of his lines from being relatively believable to repetitive gibberish.

He's just about the dumbest character I've ever seen in a square series. Every time there's a development in the game, it has to be explained to him 30 times before he can grasp it. Then he switched from idiot mode to gung ho mode in 1.2 seconds. His depth consists of an immature child hating his father which... LIEK SOO UNEXPECTEDLY... keeps coming back to beat you in the face. There are better ways to get into my head than to throw bricks at it (Eqqus)

Tidus is most certainly an upgrade from Cloud and Squall... but that's like saying having 1 dollar is more than 0. Of course it is, but you're not exactly rich here either are you?

Lulu - I shall say little because I am wise. I shall also reveal nothing about who I am because I'm spending too much time trying to keep my dress from falling off my torso. What I will do is arouse hundreds of thousand of little boys who can't afford to go out and find a real woman.

Auron - Pleasantly well voice acted. His character was so annoying though and I'm sure that kills the fangirls. He's dead huh? That's nice. Hey crackhead, why not share impertinent information with us earlier on? Oh... because square couldn't come up with a twist that wasn't so utterly obvious. I understand now.

Kimarhi - The worst voice acting in the game of the main characters, but he doesn't even compare to his fellow Ronsos who make my ears bleed just thinking of them. Here... let me shove some pencils in my ears lead first to take care of the pain. He has character development through his return to the mountain where his runt hide was beat so many years ago to prove that he's tougher now. I thoroughly loathed all 10 mins of your development... so much that I've been able to clear it from my mind.

Rikku - Omg... I love Rikku and I can't say anything bad about her. Her voice acting is dead balls accurate. She plays the peppy girl character on the nose. I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to kill her with cuteness or make the emotion or peppyness overkill. She actually acts like a girl that is her age. It's that Al Bhed thing. They're incredibly stoopid and yet produce the only believable character.

Seymour - C'mon... is anyone that tired to where they have to yawn when they speak? Ok... so you're using the church to become powerful.. that's actually realistic. Your main weapon is some sort of blind and chained up eggplant. Scary. This guy just seems like total filler material and every point I ran into him it just seemed like the pinnacle of my disenjoyment. My new word. Seymour = So bad I must make up new words to describe how bad he is. I could also compare it to certain bowel movements... but let's stick with that.

Quote:

Lack of color? You must be color blind.

That's not very nice. Keep you're arguments on the game and not on the people with opposing arguments or opinions.

I'm not color blind. I'm aware of the fact that the blitzball cage is blue and that wakka's pants are yellow. However, unless you're on the coast somewhere you're introduced to overwhelming shades of brown and grey. After 10 mins of any particular dungeon, I had to slit my wrists and stare at the results to experience some color. It's like playing D&D in London... when the weather is worse than usual. (No I don't, nor have I ever played D&D)

Quote:

Unrealistic development? How? Wakka dealing with racism in the most realistic way presented in a game yet? Tidus's struggles with his childhood and being able to overcome bad things by just putting a smile on his face? Yuna's will to sacrifice herself to save Spira, but was just as reluctant to do so?

Because everyone had their differences and instead of developing into well rounded characters that accepted differences and incorporated their own personal rational feelings into the mess, they simply reinvented themselves at every turning point. If you walked away from the game for 3 hours and came back at certain points, you wouldn't be able to tell who was who if it wasn't for the same dreary voice acting.

As far as your particular examples... obviously you had a greater attachment to the characters than I could've ever hoped to. They, however, don't show any real development. I think you're trying to say Yuna was deep because she didn't want to kill herself. Tidus was deep because he was immature and emotional and ..."still smiled"... not sure what that's about. Wakka didn't deal with racism realistically. He simply changed when it was convenient for the storyline. That is rather undeniable IMO. Wakka was more like... the first main character to have emotional ties that were pro-racism. It may have been what made Rikku and her actions all the more appealing to me. It definitely did help Wakka some because it gave him a reason to be there, but not much more.

Besides all of this, the game is incredibly linear and the difficulty level is so easy, it's rather absurd. I honestly don't remember even taking damage until about 10 hours into the game.

I also found playing the game at all when there was someone else in the room was just ... I think embarassing is the word I'm looking for... because of all the childish aspects like story and character voice acting rolled up together.

Quote:

Tidus and Yuna's relationship was way more realistic than Rinoa of Squall's.

That is pretty much wrong. I'd say they were pretty equal. The only thing that makes Rinoa and Squall hard to grasp is the fact that he suddenly changes his personality in the middle of the game. I guess voice acting does wonders for the people who can't grab emotion from simple words.

Quote:

Hell no. Suikoden IV is the only mediocre Suikoden if you ask me.

Suikoden I was a mediocre game. Rhapsodia was a step below. Suikoden III and Suikoden IV were awful games with cool characters. It's rather hard to try and argue this with Suikoden fans though so I'm not going to try. Just open your mind and go see what every other critic on the planet thinks. They don't simply align their opinions to make you mad you know. :mrgreen:

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to work on your huge post eventually but first:

Quote:

Because all I did was teach three people 3 spells and stopped using it after that because it was an extra hassle. Not to mention you could be lvl 99 and if you didn't find those lvl 4 sphere grid keys, you couldn't get a new spell that would prove to be useless anyways. For 75% of the game, I didn't use it at all... then I went back and taught everyone everything simply to have it all done. It allows you to customize your characters the way you want, but I'd rather just have them customize themselves.

You could you say that about any rpg that puts emphasis on customization, really. Why limit it to just FFX?

Quote:
Besides all of this, the game is incredibly linear and the difficulty level is so easy, it's rather absurd. I honestly don't remember even taking damage until about 10 hours into the game.

You're lying. FFX is actually the hardest FF since FFV. Did you even attempt to fight in the arena? Linear? All FF's are linear! What's so different in FFX compared to the others? You walk from place to place on the world map? Even if FFX didn't have the world map, the set up's still the same: you walk from town to town in a linear fashion until you have transportation

So you're saying that just because critics think that Suikoden II is the only great Suikoden (which is false because Suikoden III is highest rated Suiko period.) that we should believe what they think?
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What it all boils down to in the end is that not everyone is going to agree with votes taken reguarding the most popular of anything. I've heard just about the same number of people bash FFVII that love it. Once games become too popular people tend to try to oppose it either because they didn't honestly like the game, or think it was as great as everyone else did; OR, because they don't want to be part of the popular trend, it makes them 'special and different' or some lame crap like that.

Julious Cezar
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:
Suikoden I was a mediocre game. Rhapsodia was a step below. Suikoden III and Suikoden IV were awful games with cool characters. It's rather hard to try and argue this with Suikoden fans though so I'm not going to try. Just open your mind and go see what every other critic on the planet thinks. They don't simply align their opinions to make you mad you know.

OK, here's Suikoden III in the eyes of the critics (thanks to gamerankings):

IGN: 94%
Gamespy: 84%
Gamespot: 91%
GamePro: 90%
Electronic Gaming Monthly: 70%
PSM Magazine: 90%
Game Informer: 95%
Official Playstation Magazine: 60%
Gaming Target: 95%
Game Revolution: 85%

Even Suikoden IV had an average of 65% which might mean mediocre but not awful. Suikoden II got 83% average, Suikoden 85% and Suikoden Tactics got 73%.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think with suikoden 2 it is overrated but is the best of the suikoden games (im in a pal region so im not worthy of playing 3 so i'll pretend it doesnt exist), but i think its wrong that people seem to need a 3d clone of it just to say its a great game, yes in part 4 did suck terribly, but hey it had its good points the first few hours were just as good if not better than 2, people just need to play it and see it for what it is, if you compare them all to 2, then you ARE going to be dissapointed because times have changed and people have moved on.

now to final fantasy- VII will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart simply because it was the game that got me hooked on rpgs, but it is not without its floors, i mean, why the hell did areis die? why did no one care? it was like shes dead, but let act like she never existed, but this isnt the one i have a problem with.

Why the hell do people say that VIII is the best? it SO overrated, hmm squall changes his entire character half way though the game and such a rehash of cloud to begin with, the only savior was sephie and she was horribly under developed, and dont get me started on the ' we all went to the same orphanage bullsh....' i thik IX is the best because it doesnt try to be something its not, its a pure RPG pure and simple with the whole cartoony love story and stupid haired villan to boot, the way a good RPG should be.

i never really gott he metal gear solid games, i mean sure there good, but so much hype, just turns me right off, i mean all the anboyism just makes me want to throw a fire bomb into konami head quarters, for fooks sake.

hmm i done ranting. thanks for listening we should do this more often
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cloud and Squall are completely different. Cloud was a Zack wannabe, Squall dealt with real life issues, issues I can actually relate to as a person. In fact, Squall's whole nature is just like mine. Cloud didn't know who he was, Squall was afraid of abaondonment.

People say FFVIII is the best (and I think they are right) because of the amazing character customization and characterization. No, the characterization is not standard rpg fare. The characters aren't there for you to know their past or anything like that, they're there to warm up to your heart. It's their personalities that grab you. I know tons of people in real life who act just like Zell, Selphie, Rinoa, Ivrine, it felt so life like in presentation and theme. The junction system is the best character customizatoin system I've ever seen. It is so diverse and allows so many gameplay options and it's sooo basic too. A few other things that make FFVIII great: the things that happen. FFVIII is by far the most epic FF in my eyes. The Garden War between Galbadia and Balamb was classic, assinating Edea, Rinoa fraeking out on the space ship, clearing out the Ragnarok, Laguna, the ending...those are just a few amazing moments in FFVIII that will be graved in to my heart forever. I wasn't too fond of it the first time I played it but when I replayed it I loved every second of it. No, it's not perfect but what game is? Some of you people act like all of your games need to be perfect or something. The love story, while kinda rushed was still well done if you got it. The reason Squall changed so rapidly was because he suddenly realized how important Rinoa was to him at the wrong time. This made him put in the effort to save her and he fell in love. Rinoa changed Squall, basically, if you didn't get that.

And yes, FFVIII is my favorite Final Fantasy.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmm just realised i made it sound like i hated FFVIII, i dont , i do like it though im not one for the junction system i do respect square for trying it out, im glad they have the balls to put in such a revolutionary system int such a long standing an respected series, i love all the final fantasys, but some more than other, it not like VIII is the best but it can dump all over most other rpgs of the time, and some of today, id rather play that than a D+D game anyday for example.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its their personalities that grab me? I hardly think so. Irvine's personality did not grab me in any way. Rinoa Had no personality to take hold of. Oh no, I'm extremely weak and fall victim to the enemy plot even though you just spent 40 hours leveling me up to level 99.

Maybe its just me but I prefer a set of characters with a personality more than the shallow one you get when you first meeet them. Zell ALWAYS was the hyperactive dude, Selphie always was the girl who was just there for seriously NO reason whatsoever. Irvine is the worst ladiesman in the history of videogames, but still managed to be less shallow of a character than most the others. Ultimately this final fantasy played out to be a terrible character game. However the overall storyline was not that bad. Overall I feel Final Fantasy VIII was the worst (Yea, worse than II and Crystal Chronicles) in its series but its still better than many horrific games.

Quote:
Squall dealt with real life issues, issues I can actually relate to as a person.

What real life issues does Squall deal with? Oh I know what issues, duh! Being in a private military institute with a group of people you all copmpletely forgot you grew up with. Yeah, that happened to me three times last year. Damn, that is quite realistic. Or maybe the realization that your adopted mother is being possessed by a witch of sorts hell bent on collapsing the universe. My cousin went through that on, its quite rough.

If he dealt with handling an apartment and paying bills I'd say he had "real life issues". If I ever see a video game that gives the main character menial real life issues aside from "Which chick should I bone?" I'll flip. I play RPGs so that I can face interesting fantasy situations that are reasonable unfathomable in my mundane existance.

Final Fantasy VIII's Junction system was decent if it wasn't so abusable. They should have made a limit on how far you could progress before moving up in junctioning. I found it too abusable too quickly. But that is just my perspective.

If you consider his "whatever" personality realistic when a chick is all over him like Rinoa was, you need to be around more dudes. Either he isn't telling us something or he's really playing hard to get. No guy will be like that when a hottie like Riona is all over him. And its not like he didn't find her attractive because it was one of the major scenes in the opening sequences. Definitely a bad call on this one there, Himuro. Nothing in FFVIII is at all close to naormalcy and reality. Sorry to have to be the one who broke this to you buut, it had to be done. They don't call them Final FANTASY for giggles.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol There goes the FANTASY argument. Despite being in a mainly sci-fi setting, FFVIII was just as fantasy as any of the other games.

I never said that the personalities grab "you" as in, you Red. I mean the literal you.

Quote:

What real life issues does Squall deal with? Oh I know what issues, duh! Being in a private military institute with a group of people you all copmpletely forgot you grew up with. Yeah, that happened to me three times last year. Damn, that is quite realistic. Or maybe the realization that your adopted mother is being possessed by a witch of sorts hell bent on collapsing the universe. My cousin went through that on, its quite rough.

Did you even play Final Fantasy VIII? Squall was abandoned as a child. He grew up in an orphanage and the only person he really loved (Ellone), left him. He really didn't know why, so he blamed himself. Squall felt that people were useless and unreliable. Even if you befriend someone, they'll just leave you in the long run. This made Squall anti-social and hard to break down. Many people have gone through this, this made Squall so likable because he was someone many could connect with. It's like you're just throwing out complaints without actually thinking about the story.

Quote:
That's kind of an odd question. How are they not shallow? None of them are well rounded characters. Most of them can be described in 3 words. Square often thinks making a character "deep" means hiding everything about their personality for 3/4 of the game. This doesn't make them deep, it makes them bland.

Let me just give you my impressions...

Yuna - First off, there is hardly any emotion in her character lines which pretty much destroys any effect she can have on a person. She might die? Excuse me when I display more emotion than her by saying... *yawn* Her development is crazy linear because she's essential to the story, but her quiet... was that enthusiasm? What the heck was it? I have no idea.

Wakka - Voiced by the same guy that did Bender Bending Rodriquez on Futurama. The dreaded closemindedness about... uhm... everything... who seems to hold out until you're ready to kill him and then he simply overflows changing everything. Gotta love that "BOO YAH!" shout every time he ends the fight. Actually, you can't love it. You have to hate it unless you play the game on mute which was my particular favorite way to play it. Let's face it, Wakka is your standard Derek Vinyard unbelievable transformation from night to day. It's almost like they're trying to fake that he has a personality. Wait... wait... he can change... wooooo! Later on in life, he marries his sister and they live happily ever after having some of the greatest conversation any one could imagine.

Wakka: "Hey looo"
Lulu: "...."
Wakka: "Boo yah!"

Tidus - Anyone can tear Tidus to shreds. Tidus was actually voiced by the guy who did Yancey (Fry's brother on Futurama... see the running theme here?) The guy is a tad bit overkill on his emotion in the voice acting nearly exploding any of his lines from being relatively believable to repetitive gibberish.

He's just about the dumbest character I've ever seen in a square series. Every time there's a development in the game, it has to be explained to him 30 times before he can grasp it. Then he switched from idiot mode to gung ho mode in 1.2 seconds. His depth consists of an immature child hating his father which... LIEK SOO UNEXPECTEDLY... keeps coming back to beat you in the face. There are better ways to get into my head than to throw bricks at it (Eqqus)

Tidus is most certainly an upgrade from Cloud and Squall... but that's like saying having 1 dollar is more than 0. Of course it is, but you're not exactly rich here either are you?

Lulu - I shall say little because I am wise. I shall also reveal nothing about who I am because I'm spending too much time trying to keep my dress from falling off my torso. What I will do is arouse hundreds of thousand of little boys who can't afford to go out and find a real woman.

Auron - Pleasantly well voice acted. His character was so annoying though and I'm sure that kills the fangirls. He's dead huh? That's nice. Hey crackhead, why not share impertinent information with us earlier on? Oh... because square couldn't come up with a twist that wasn't so utterly obvious. I understand now.

Kimarhi - The worst voice acting in the game of the main characters, but he doesn't even compare to his fellow Ronsos who make my ears bleed just thinking of them. Here... let me shove some pencils in my ears lead first to take care of the pain. He has character development through his return to the mountain where his runt hide was beat so many years ago to prove that he's tougher now. I thoroughly loathed all 10 mins of your development... so much that I've been able to clear it from my mind.

Rikku - Omg... I love Rikku and I can't say anything bad about her. Her voice acting is dead balls accurate. She plays the peppy girl character on the nose. I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to kill her with cuteness or make the emotion or peppyness overkill. She actually acts like a girl that is her age. It's that Al Bhed thing. They're incredibly stoopid and yet produce the only believable character.

Seymour - C'mon... is anyone that tired to where they have to yawn when they speak? Ok... so you're using the church to become powerful.. that's actually realistic. Your main weapon is some sort of blind and chained up eggplant. Scary. This guy just seems like total filler material and every point I ran into him it just seemed like the pinnacle of my disenjoyment. My new word. Seymour = So bad I must make up new words to describe how bad he is. I could also compare it to certain bowel movements... but let's stick with that.

1. Square hiding characters' personalities 3/4's of the game equating to bland? Do you think Jowy's bland? Because he's the same way. None of these characters hid of their personalities the whole game. They had their personalities throughout, and grew from their initial struggles (aside from Lulu). That does not apply to Final Fantasy X, that applies to Final Fantasy IX.

2. Yuna was quiet. And? Her enthusiam came from the fact she stood by her beliefs throughout the game and gave courage to those around her. Whenever Yuna would see a passerby like the little girl at the Highroad, she told them she would attempt her best. And that she did. Despite being enthusiastic and strong, Yuna always kept her feelings on the inside. She thought she could do everything herself, but at the same time she was scared. She wanted to do everything else other people did as they grew up, but she felt it was not her obligation to deal with such things because they were irrelvent to her pilgrimage, including love. That's why during the love scene in lake Macalania, she initially seemed hesitant in her relations with Tidus (if I remember). Yuna was a strong female character, one of the strongest in fact, to grace a video game.

On to Wakka. First and foremost, Wakka and Lulu were not siblings. That shows how much you paid attention to FFX's plot, huh? What does his voice acting have to do with him as a character? You're grasping at straws. Wakka is a good character because he's what he have in all of us, hostility towards another group of people. Wakka is bland? Wakka is far from bland, brudda. The good thing about Wakka was that, you could understand his hate for Al Bhed, and you understand why he was reluctant to machina and always blamed them for ill things, prmarily because of his brother's death. Throughout the game you see Wakka show his hostility towards any form of technology or Al Bhed character because of his ignorance. He is the epitome of ignorance, which makes him such an interesting character. While there are many good people out there, their ignorance can get the best of them and rule their lives. What kept Wakka going was his faith, even if it was blind faith. Wakka lived by exactly what he saw and felt, and showed progression at one point in time or another. What I liked about Wakka is that he showed the ignorance that can be found in all of us.

Tidus - Ooooooh, my favorite part because he's my favorite FF character next to Squall. Your complaints are moot. Things are explained to him because he's not from that time period. Things are also explained to him because...basically they're doing that for you, the PLAYER. Not for Tidus. Tidus is a bit immature, yeah. That's why I like him. He's not your typical brooding Final Fantasy character like Terra, Cloud, or Squall. Tidus had a fear of his father, what's so bad about that? The great thing about Tidus was that underneath his immaturity he was a strong individual. He didn't let the past weigh him down, he kept on going and tried to DEFEAT the past. I love Tidus. Yeah he's naive, but that's what so great about him. Trying to find a way to help Yuna even if he didn't know if there was truly a way was pretty naive, yeah, but what Tidus has on his record is that the he atleast tried. Tidus holds FFX's theme strong because he's all about conquering fears and inner weakness, just like the theme.

Lulu, yeah she was for sex appeal but what female character isn't for that? I'll give you Lulu, she was a pretty useless character but her role was to counter Wakka and lend support. She was the serious member of the party.

Kimahri was very quiet, but at the same time pretty likable. Another weak character but overall still very good.

Rikku...I completely agree on her. I love Rikku.

What's so bad about Auron? Predictable plot twist? Who cares about predictable plot twists? I hate it when people bring up predictablity when it comes to characterization. Who really cares? How does that make Auron a bad character?

Seymour, I'll give you that, but Seymour to me wasn't even the real villian of FFX. He was just someone who always got in your way.

No, the characters aren't perfect, but what game has perfect characterization or doesn't have throw away characters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: