Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Curious Case of the Runes in the Great Generals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ormiss

Ashwind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest, I think any and all discussion on this topic is retroactive continuity at best. In my opinion, it's been pretty clear as the series progressed that the creators of Suikoden didn't really have that much figured out beforehand. However, that doesn't stop it from being an interesting topic.

Aside from the good points about loyalty and the tasks demanded of the generals that have already been brought up, perhaps Windy simply didn't have enough Conqueror Runes to dispense them as she pleased? It's suggested that the Black/Conqueror Runes that are placed on the generals are created and controlled by the "mother rune," the Conqueror Rune worn by Windy, right? Perhaps there's a limit to its power, else a single such (non-True Rune) could give a person potentially amazing powers.

All this aside, I found the Conqueror Runes to be used in a classic, but poor way in Suikoden I. Nothing is more unsatisfying in a roleplaying game than finding out that the person you hate isn't actually evil when you lay the smack down. The Japanese people seem to be enamored with lack of accountability. ;) It was especially ridiculous in Legend of Dragoon... but I won't go off on a tangent here.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems to me that Windy didn't have much of a reason to bewitch those three, or at least Teo and Sonya. Teo was absolutely blinded by loyalty, even when fighting his own son. And once Teo died, Sonya was blinded by rage.

Kasim, however, is a stickier situation. Maybe Windy didn't implant the Runes until after she found out that Ted had the Soul Eater, and by then Kasim had gone to the north? Remember, Teo left the day after his audience, and if Kasim did the same, he would have left several days before Ted's capture.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As said, the reason was simply because Teo, Sonya, and Kasim didn't want them. It makes sense, since those three always seemed the generals most confident in their own skills.

Milich is arrogant of course, but he seems willing to use any tool available to solidify his power. Kwanda... just never seemed to have much character, so it's hard to analyze him, but he got the most use from the rune. Teo and Kasim, definitely rugged individualists who I can't see accepting help from anyone. Sonya's harder to justify, though I don't believe she felt a strong need for the rune, and if Teo refused it, she'd probably follow suit.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I completely missed that. I really have to read these threads more carefully before posting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: