Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Blue Moon Kasim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kartz

Silent Hill

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Blue Moon Kasim Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was scrolling through Suikoden 1's instruction manual the other day when I was pissed at myself, 'cause I managed to delete my Suikoden 4 save. As I read it, I started to wonder about Kasim's nick. Where does the 'Blue Moon' part come from? It's been a while since I last played Suikoden 1, so I might not remember if there is an explanation somewhere in there, but I don't recall one. Could there be a connection to vampires and the Blue Moon rune?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt it but I don't know where the knickname comes from either. His sword has a lunar connection as well, it's called "Emerald Moonlight".

Could be something to do with the nomadic tribes of Senan but everything I can suggest is merely conjecture.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

..Kind of strange that he would be called Blue Moon Kasim and yet have a sword called "Emerald" Moonlight. I believe there are blue emeralds, but they sure aren't the ones that everyone thinks of at first. Anyway, it doesn't seem to me that he's likely to be connected to the Blue Moon Rune, as he does not appear to be undead. He has too much history as a man, being one of Teo McDohl's old war buddies, and a long time servant of Emperor Barbarossa Rugner.

However, we do only have two vampires to look on as examples, so yeah...seems like just conjecture on my part, too. I suppose anything is possible though, right? As for being connected to nomadic tribes, his portrait sure doesn't do anything to disabuse that notion.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe he's a wanna-be vampire, some sort of cult follower :P That must be it!
It makes little sense either way really, and I highly doubt we'll ever know. It was probably just a coincidence or something.

-My DeviantArt-
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to Suikosource:

Quote:
Kasim Hazil (Tenyu Star)
Origin: Southlands
Position: One of the Six Great Generals
Events: Succession War, Gate Rune Wars
Kasim Hazil is a seasoned General. Known as "Kasim of the Blue Moon," his skill as a swordsman is second only to Georg Prime. He has protected the Senan Area with Moravia as his base, and during the Succession War, he had Mathiu Silverberg as his subordinate officer. During the Gate Rune Wars, he tried to defend Moravia from the Toran Liberation Army, but due to Mathiu's tricks, Jowston attacked from behind and overran Moravia. Defeated, he joined the Toran Liberation Army and fought against Barbarossa in order to convince him to stop fighting. After the Gate Rune Wars, he asked President Lepant to send him north to fight with Jowston; and without rest heads out to another war, this time he is victorious.

Kasim is not from the Senan region, he hails from the mysterious region referred to as the Southlands. Only a few characters are known to be from this region (Samus, Shin, and I think Shiba?).

What the Suikosource entry forgets to mention (and what I can just barely remember!) is how his sword was crafted by expert swordsmiths using a technique which has since been forgotten or lost. I think the swordsmith(s) were from the Southlands.

My memory on this is foggy, but I believe Kasim was part of an organization in the Southlands. But I could be confusing him with Shin, who is said to be from an organization in the Southlands.

His name is likely independant of the vampire village. Remember that we have a Black Dragon Island where crazy chefs live, a Black Dragon Sword which was an upgrade for the Star Dragon Sword in the NTSC version of Suikoden 1, and a dragon named Black from Goya.

^Actual quote!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kasim is from the Southlands, the nomadic swordsmiths were from Senan.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

herm.... he a second finest swordman... wow....never thougt of that

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

What??? I don't even know what to make of that.

Just curious as to whether Senan is known for it's swords like real time Toledo or Damscus. Can someone fill me in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron88 wrote:
Quote:

HAHA yea i got nothing.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Kartz

Silent Hill

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So what we got? Blue Moon Kazim, Emerald Moonlight, Scarlet Moon Empire, Blue Moon Rune/Village (I'm probably missing something). Now that I think of it, it unlikely to Kazim have a connection with vampires, since the "Blue Moon" part could only be meant to be a reference to the Scarlet Moon Empire. I still like the idea that Kazim slaved a vampire or two back in the old days and got his nickname from that.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron88 wrote:

He's referring to the fact that Kasim is said to be the second strongest swordsman in Suikoden, right after Georg Prime.

Oh, the entry also forgets to mention that Kasim was the only Great General capable of beating Barbarossa in battle. But I guess saying "second strongest after Georg" kinda encompasses that doesn't it? But still, that fact was brought up way back in Suikoden 1's day. And probably stated sometime after Georg left!

^Actual quote!
Ormiss

Ashwind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering the degree of continuity in the Suikoden series to date, it seems more than likely that the title "Blue Moon" is in fact pure fluff; the first thing that popped into the writer's mind at the time. As for "Emerald Moonlight" and "Blue Moon," it wouldn't surprise me if some stronger relation was lost in translation. As someone mentioned, there is such a thing as a blue emerald, and the original Japanese word used might be more specific than "emerald."

I forget, was the Blue Moon Rune ever mentioned in S1, or was Neclord "just a vampire?"
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I states that Neclord was once a man who became a vampire by 'misusing a rune'. The Blue Moon Rune itself is never mentioned.

Of course, Suikoden was never really intended to become a long running series so when Suikoden II was being produced it seems a bit of ret-conning went on to change the story of Neclord.

It's something usually glossed over seeing as the 'misusing a rune' explanation is literally one throw-away line in Suikoden I anyway.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
..Kind of strange that he would be called Blue Moon Kasim and yet have a sword called "Emerald" Moonlight.

The second name of his sword, before Emerald Moonlight, is Blue Moonlight, which makes it even stranger. Anyway, the "Blue Moon" thing was probably just a title, which they reused because it just sounds cool or something. :|

I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to expand on this more and actually link Kasim to Neclord somehow, but I highly doubt it. Suikoden I was 10 years ago.
Ormiss

Ashwind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Suikoden I states that Neclord was once a man who became a vampire by 'misusing a rune'. The Blue Moon Rune itself is never mentioned.

Of course, Suikoden was never really intended to become a long running series so when Suikoden II was being produced it seems a bit of ret-conning went on to change the story of Neclord.

It's something usually glossed over seeing as the 'misusing a rune' explanation is literally one throw-away line in Suikoden I anyway.

Thanks for that information; it's been a long time since I had the opportunity to play Suikoden I. With that in mind, I doubt the Blue Moon Rune existed even in the loose plans or setting information before Suikoden II was produced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: