Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

I want Trinity Sight System back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm all for the game having a bit more meat to it than the 20 hour playthroughs that I experienced in Suikoden I, II, and IV. Suikoden III had a bit more to it, and I liked that about it, but at the same time, I got really tired of the Trinity Site system pretty quickly. I didn't think it was a bad idea, but they showed several scenes that were the exact same scene from the viewpoint of all four different groups. If the multiple points of view were to return, I would greatly prefer for it to be regarding entirely different events. There was nothing that appealed to me about seeing something happen, then watching again with slightly different dialogue to show the reactions of a new group of characters. The only time I wanted to see the same scene from a different viewpoint was during the Luc chapter, because, well, they're the bad guys, and their perspective is genuinely different.

I'd be in favour of a returning multiple point of view system, I suppose...but it would have to be executed a bit better than it was in III for me to really get in to it. Also, since we're not discussing it in terms of being the main theme of another game, that would probably help as well. No matter how badly executed it is, if it only happens once or twice, I'm sure most people will at least be able to tolerate it.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pierrot_Le_Fou wrote:
And as I said, the first two Suikodens took me 20+ hours on my first playthrough and part three made me suffer for 80 hours! Sorry to the fans of the Trinity site, I just thought it was a pile..

80 hour Suikoden is music to my ears.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never understood how people thought it was slow and boring. It just happened that similar events were played through from three points of views. More often than not, the paths of these people never crossed and when the stories interwove, it was done very nicely across pivotal story moments.

Perhaps it's because I knew the story of Suikoden III prior to playing, but I didn't find Geddoe's chapters dull after already playing through hours of Chris and Hugo's chapters.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The idea that it was a mistake to make the game longer is somewhat strange to me.
and to say that Final Fantasy games are long?

Really?

Thats a unique take on rpgs in general and FF in particular.
I feel like I didnt get my money's worth if the game isn't atleast 40+ hours.

And considering I think there are all of 2 or 3 FF games that took me that long,
I would not classify them as long games, atleast not relative to the RPG genre.
I tend to think of FF games as average in length.

And the notion of a Suikoden V that is longer than III is VERY appealing to me.

I play for the story, the characters, the music, the designs, and the fun of it.
None of that lends itself to wanting 20 hrs of game for more than $50.

I feel that the Trinity Sight System gave me exactly what I wanted.
And NOT using it would just be recycling the typical manner of storytelling.

I felt like Suikoden II could have used a Dual Sight system,
with players getting to experience Jowy's quest to become king.

I honestly felt that more should have been done with that,
and its my biggest gripe with what is otherwise one of my favorite games.

Suikoden III's system could use some fine tuning,
but I think that it would be awesome to atleast get a sample of it in V.

Also, I felt the seperate chapters they provided in Final Fantasy 6
were some of the best parts of the game.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Also, I felt the seperate chapters they provided in Final Fantasy 6
were some of the best parts of the game.

They WERE to the best part of the game to me! :(
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:

Perhaps it's because I knew the story of Suikoden III prior to playing, but I didn't find Geddoe's chapters dull after already playing through hours of Chris and Hugo's chapters.

It may have depended heavily on the order in which you chose to play the chapters. I played Hugo 1, Chris 1, Geddoe 1, and so on. As a result, I was seeing essentially the same things three times in a row, rather than playing Hugo 1,2,3 and then returning to the beginning with a fresh perspective. Perhaps it would have been more enjoyable if I'd done that?

Quote:
More often than not, the paths of these people never crossed and when the stories interwove, it was done very nicely across pivotal story moments.

I do disagree with this, though. Yes, most of the time the three groups were doing different things, but I felt that they still experienced the same events too often. Again, maybe that's because I staggered the chapters like I did...I don't know. Personally, I thought the execution was poor though. I'm not opposed to another try in Suikoden V, or another game down the road, though. :)
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like longer games as long as they aren't overwhelming like Star Ocean 2. Otherwise, long games are great.

The Trinity Sight is something I fell in love with, though many people here don't like it. There may have been the same scenes, but they were from different perspectives and they demonstrated different motives, adding more depth to the storyline. The only thing they could have done better was to leave out the Koroku segment and put in Nash or Sasarai instead. Prefereably Sasarai.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bring the TSS back, please Konami. If the sacrifice is a longer game play, all the better. Suikoden 4 was a bit boring to me becasue it only had 1 POV.

EDIT: And Axiose is right, you know...after having to do all the tedium of Hugo and Chris, Geddoe's chapters were amazing relief. Not to say that at sometime his chapter wasn't as boring as Hugo's or Chris. Overall, it was less boring. Also not to say Chris's and Hugo's chapters weren't without their strong points.

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't want to turn this into a Suikoden III disucssion but Chris and Hugo's chapters were bound to overlap with each other due to the very nature of their positions (as leaders of opposing sides) - however, when they did I really felt it added a strong depth to the game.

Suikoden V looks as though it'll have more than one side of the story (as all Suikoden games have had) and even though we're looking to have an unnamed prince as the Tenkai, I still think the occaisonal "other side site" might be nice to get a further depth to the story.

Or perhaps instead of that - why not do a Luc? After completing the game (perhaps not necessarily with 108 SoD's as I prefer the "gift" to be part of the main hero/story) you can play through the events from a different point of view.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The trinity site system worked well for the game, and helped to reinforce a theme of free will, and choice. However, to have the system back again would be a throwback to the old theme, each game needs to have it's own basic moral theme, and re-using the trinity system may very well force five down the same theme.

*Theme used 4 times in previous paragraph. Go diversity*

Last edited by Ley on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I don't think we need it back as a "Trinity" system. I just want a system that lets you see multiple view points. Be it 2, 3, 4, 10, 12 - as long as it's done nicely if it's included.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The trinity system was unique to GS3 and will most likely stay that way. Even though it was fun and enjoyable, I loved the game with its slow plot progression and the time it took to explain situations... however I don't think it will work in GS5.

The creators have already specified that there will be multiple paths in the story of GS5, therefore I think the diversity will come there - people will play through multiple times to see all the story elements and side plots. I just hope none of the decisions stop you from getting 108 stars...

On the trinity idea though - the fold out 'board' they show in the Limited Edition package has three sections and from what we can tell they are all different versions of the same image. King has also said looking at the LE extras will herald several spoilers, meaning there will likely be massive impacts on the game depending on the path you choose.

I can't wait to see this new story system they're adding...

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trinity Site? yes, please :-)

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I sure would. I really enjoyed the Trinity Site System and was what drew me to the game at first. It was so creative and it was so new considering when i had played it the firs time the only RPG's I had played was Final Fantasy X and a few Zelda games. So it was a great change and it was very innovative, if you could follow the story though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Different points of view is always good in any game. Who didn't want to play as Jowy in Suikoden 2? I think is important to know about the "other side of the coin", you know you are a hero and you are fighting against highland. But you know what is really happening in there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: