Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

FullMetal Alchemist
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: FullMetal Alchemist Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone else like this anime? In my opinion it's got one of the best english dubs out of the animes that I've seen, the story's interesting and I can't wait to find out what happens next since I haven't seen the subbed japanese version.
The version I watch has the english audio dubbed over the japanese visuals so that nothing is cut out. If anyone is interested they are released on Sunday/Monday as torrents by xlg47.

So what's other peoples opinion on this show?
Vince Muerto

The Cool Guy Regiment

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love FMA. I watched the fan-subbed version, and thought it was super great.
I found almost no flaws with this show. It had a great mix of action, suspense, and comedy. The only thing that I could consider a minor flaw was the ending. It was a good ending, but it seemed like they could have given more to it.

The story was the best part though. The first time I heard of this show I thought it would be just another shounen anime with a bunch of characters fighting all the time with hardly any plot. Much to my surprise it was pretty much the opposite. The story was top-notch. I have no bad things to say about this show.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree, Full Metal Alchemist is amazing! It had some nice plot twists for sure, and some very well developed characters and backstory.
I will agree that the ending was a little lose compared to the rest of the series. I believe there's a movie that's supposed to follow up however. I'm trying to find a place to find a subbed version. With that said, I think the ending is well placed.

I was the same way when I heard about it though. It was gaining popularity really fast, and I almost wrote it off as another junky kids anime. I ended up seeing some of it in japanese at a local anime night then when I dropped in though, and really liked it.

I haven't seen any of the english sub personally. I've heard good things though, and from several people at that.

-My DeviantArt-
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Fullmetal Alchemist. It's probably my favorite anime, right now. I just wish they would release the DVDs faster, since that's the only way I can watch it. I think I'm almost up to the second season...

What about the manga? Has anyone been following it? I kinda like it better than the anime, just becuase the plotline is a bit more...stable.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is definitely my favorite Anime. It actually has me kind of hooked at the moment. I DVR all the episodes and the new ones come one every saturday. When i first watched it on adult swim i thought it was stupid and i thought Al was a girl, but when i actually sat down and watched a couple of episodes it instantly had me hooked. Now i get pissed when i miss the new ones and can't wait for more to come out on DVD. I can't remember enjoying another anime as much as this one for awhile, maybe when i first started watching Gundam Wing, but that was ages ago. Anyway yea i watch it alot and if anyone hasn't seen it yet it is definitely worth a watch.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was reading the manga myself actually, it's a bit more complex, which I like. I can't remember how far I got before I ran out of it to read. I'll have to try and track the rest of it down. I really enjoy it. I'm more of a manga person though, while I like to see both the anime and read the manga, I just always feel like I get more out of the manga.

-My DeviantArt-
Dynast

Rising Storm

16559 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A FMA thread? You guys have no idea how long I've been waiting for something like this to pop up. :D

Elzamine wrote:
I'll have to try and track the rest of it down

Well, it's currently been licensed, but there is still some groups who are scanlating it. Some require passwords to access the chapters, while some function with a page-by-page reading system (which I find extremely irritating). If you want, though, I could point you to one of the sites, but I'm afraid that you'll have to contact me via MSN. 'Tis not good to discuss illegal dealings in public. :D

(Oh, and the latest chapter just came out!)

Admittedly, I've only watched the first two episodes of FMA before crying out in despair and returning the CDs to my friend (he burnt them for me back before it was licensed) as my computer couldn't take the load and was lagging horribly. And so, I'm more into the manga than the anime. I do know about how the anime goes though (when you're a member of the LJ community as well as a few fan message boards, it's kind of hard to miss all the spoilers that's posted all over the place), but I can't say that it's that much to my liking. I'd have prefered it they had kept the storyline parellel to the manga, but of course, that wouldn't have been possible as the manga is still going, while the anime has finished. It might take them years to finish the entire animation then, and by then, the interest would probably wane.

In any case, I believe that FMA is a fabulous series. It has wonderful music and a absorbing storyline, and it's perhaps the best proof that women artists can draw something that's not romance and shoujo-ish stuff. Yes, Hiromu Arakawa is female. FMA also has really in-depth characterisation and isn't afraid to play around with death (I found the part in which the doctor turned his own daughter into a chimera for his own selfish purposes saddening), and I believe that it is a top-notch series.

Last edited by Dynast on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah there were two deaths that shocked me in this anime, that was one of them and you guys can probably guess the other.
Kane of the Black Sea

Pilage and Plunder

77740 Potch
208 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it is my third favorite anime. It goes right under number 1) X the series 2) Berserk. Although they need to make more berserk.

Back to FMA I think that it is a really awesome show with an intricate storyline and it is drawn very well. I think that a lot of hard work had to have been put into this show just by how cool it looks. I haven't really seen the episodes in english, I downloaded all of the fansubs, though. I like the fact that they aren't edited like they are when you watch them on Adult Swim.

Nameless Lands : Chikei - Avenging Star
Sig art by ardPSiko

All I want out of Life it to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't do dub...and I tend to steer well clear of anything (as far as anime goes, that is) on the Cartoon channel on the matter of principles. I actually read the manga of Full Metal Alchemist, interestingly. I've heard it's got some key differences with the anime series itself...I don't know, I've never seen it...but I liked it. The characters gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside...I kind of grew to sympathize with the struggle of the two main characters...and I did like the Seven Sins quite a bit.

I think it's fascinating villains that make an anime series for me either way, but the Sins were some of the best ones I've seen. Probably the single biggest reason why I liked Full Metal Alchemist.

I'll probably end up hating Full Metal Alchemist in the end, just like everything else, because I'll get sick of hearing people talk about how great it is. Seems to be an inevitable occurance with everything I ever end up liking at all. Except for Suikoden. :)

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Dynast

Rising Storm

16559 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't do dub...and I tend to steer well clear of anything (as far as anime goes, that is) on the Cartoon channel on the matter of principles.

Well, I admit that I've never seen the dubbed version of FMA, but according to what I've been hearing on the FMA Livejournal communities, it isn't too shabby. The dubbers, apparently, have watched FMA before (it's a horrifying result when they don't) so they do have a general idea of what they're supposed to do.

Besides, you have to watch it to see if it's really as bad as you think, no? :D

Quote:
I kind of grew to sympathize with the struggle of the two main characters

I agree. One does grow rather (emotionally) attached to the two Elric brothers after all they've been through. Must be a fan thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some people have commented the ending seemed loose, I just thought it was them laying the setting for the film that they released of it. I haven't seen the film myself but it's called the conqueror of Shambala (not a clue if it ties into the manga anyhow either).

One of my favourites as it goes, great anime series I always thought.

Ed Elric could possibly be why I like Hitsugaya Toushirou in Bleach so much too, they have a nearly identical voice and I'm almost certain the voice actor has to be the same person.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree completely with PF, the ending seemed lose for good reason.
Is the movie out in Japan yet, does anyone know?
I always pick up a subbed version, I started on subbed and I'm used to the japanese voice actors, I just like to see things in their original contex :)

-My DeviantArt-
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you can get fansubs of the theatre rip, you know someone holding a camera in the cinema that kind of thing.

Check here:
Fullmetal Alchemist Movie Forum

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
I'll probably end up hating Full Metal Alchemist in the end, just like everything else, because I'll get sick of hearing people talk about how great it is. Seems to be an inevitable occurance with everything I ever end up liking at all. Except for Suikoden. :)

Nah, there are plenty of things wrong with FMA.

I downloaded 30 episodes of it before it was licensed. I watched 26 of them, and then decided that the whole series didn't really entertain me that much. Note that by the time you reached Episode 26, you finished the first major plot arc and were filled with a bunch of downtime. During that period of filler, FMA's weaknesses really shone out to me and I didn't feel compelled to watch more of it. The concept after Episode 1 and 2 were quite awesome and I was really into it, but eventually I got tired.

About a month ago, I watched Epsidoe 27 and 28, but overall, there was nothing there that would pull me back to finish the series.

So vote -1 for liking FMA. I probably won't follow this thread in detail (I bet there are a lot of spoilers, and even though I do not plan to watch the rest of the series I don't want to read spoilers) and I don't want to troll the thread, but I just wanted to let it be known that there are people who thought that FMA wasn't that great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: