Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Valkyrie Profile 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

malicesoul wrote:
Right now, I'm at chapter 3 and the game's really really REALLY slow. So far its just like 'Go to a dungeon, Silmeria uses object reading to tell you where the orb went next' and you'll repeat this several times .The game started off so great. I hope its just Chap 3 which is like this

I've heard that the third chapter is like that, but only for that particular chapter. I'm not sure though, since I only just got there. I had to leave town for a family emergency so I only got the game on Monday. >_<

jjrrs wrote:
Can someone tell me how the EXP gained is given in this game? I thought in the first game the total EXP you got at the end of each battle is what each fighting character got, yet that doesn't seem to be the case here...

I believe that the experience you see at the end is for the party, so it gets divided amongst your active characters, as Jinners mentions. As for being a lot like an action game, since it's from Tri-Ace, I think I'd be surprised if it wasn't like that. Heh.

Anyway, so far I'm really liking this game a lot. Because I got it late, it's sorta keeping me from my other games right now. Graphics are pretty, character designs are mostly very nice, and the system so far is decently challenging without being too overly complicated. The entire rune/skill thing is taking a little getting used to, but oh well. At least you can go to every character, including those that are not active, when you go into the equip screen. That helps in switching people in and out. Minor thing, but I appreciate it. ^_^
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite Tri-Ace game is Star Ocean: The Second Story, would I like and enjoy this game?

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hard to tell. Any particular elements that you liked about SO2? It's been a while since I've played it and my head is not quite what it used to be. ^_^
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Locke wrote:
My favorite Tri-Ace game is Star Ocean: The Second Story, would I like and enjoy this game?

It may be better to start with the original Valkyrie Profile...and then judge for yourself.
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
Locke wrote:

It may be better to start with the original Valkyrie Profile...and then judge for yourself.

*grumbles*

Doesn't have a PSP, though I could rent this game and give it a try.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or you could rent the PS1 version, which should be deemed a classic.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do realise that i'm double posting. Please forgive me!

but i just had to announce that I am currently playing Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, although irregularly, since i have these final weeks for the end of the semester.

Although i have just started Chapter 3 now, I would like to give some of my thoughts on it:

Plot
The story is all right for now. You all (ought to) know the story: Alicia has two personas, her own and Valkyrie Silmeria. Yet this has caused some trouble for her, since it had her banished from the Kingdom of Dipan, and now Valkyrie Hrist is pursuing her for defying the Gods. Silmeria is defying Odin and the gods and trying to help the humans that will be caught in the war between Dipan and them.
The pace so far moves along well, not too fast, and not too slow.

Graphics
I was surprised at the opening FMV. It was not as impressive as i thought it would be. It was a bit disappointing for me, but it was still pretty cool overall. in comparison to VP1, Silmeria's flow through the towns and dungeons is kind of slow, and not so fluid. But it is still pretty good, besides that.

Sound
The music is so-so. Nothing special about it. The voice actors are good. But this, as well as the graphics, are minor details.

Gameplay
I really like the innovations put in here. It is 80% the same as the original gameplay, but it has become more real time. I like real time ^_^. however, i find moving them through the battle screen to be a little bit cumbersome. When i try to rush in one direction, I fund them dashing in another. It took me some time to remember to make sure to face them the way i want them to. I wish that they allowed all of them to pull out their Special attacks though *sigh*. I believe that i am still a bit early in this game, since i haven't encountered the sealstones yet. So i'll make more comments on this later.

Currently, i am at the Stredberg (sp?) Mountain ruins, but i am resting at Coriander. I need to gather some more money for the equipment, and i'll play more defensively, since that is my style. as i said before, Chapter 3 is getting hard (but not that hard yet).

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice rundown, Starslasher, and I mostly agree with what you have to say. I'm in Chapter 6 right now, but taking a minor hiatus to try out FFXII.

The funny thing about the graphics is that I thought they looked fantastic on my TV's at home (older 27" Toshiba and 27" WEGA), but when I brought the game over to my friend's place and put it up on his new widescreen Sony, it looked pretty shoddy. Bunch of that can obviously be attributed to the old "anti-aliasing" thing, but it might also have to do with the way the character models were constructed, but I'm not sure. I really like a bunch of the character designs though.

Totally agree with you about dashing and not always figuring correctly where you're going. Even after putting in a decent amount of time, I still sometimes find myself accidentally dashing off in the opposite direction or straight into a wall (doh!).

The sealstones are a mixed bag...some of them are VERY useful for certain situations (and I hear that it gets even more useful/required in the Seraphic Gate), but there's a bunch that I don't bother to pick up at all, let alone restore.

What do you mean about not being able to pull out all of the special attacks? Do you mean stringing together a four-person combo of special attacks?
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The storyline picks up after chapter 3.

I absolutely loved loved loved the combat. The dashing takes some getting used to, but once you master it, that's all you'll do! It becomes very helpful in fights later on.

As for the skills, I was a little dissapointed at the skills that only become available from accessories in SG, because they kind of sucked. Oh well.

For sealstones, I'd recommend you pick up experience pig law and 1/2 RDM 1/2 RSP (I think that's what it's called antway). Those make the game a whole lot easier. Oh yeah, and you'll need some photon enhancing sealstones to get a lot of the treasures in SG.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

What do you mean about not being able to pull out all of the special attacks? Do you mean stringing together a four-person combo of special attacks?

Well, it's just that you need certain weapons to pull out the Soul Crush attacks. Unlike in the first game where all the character can use their Special attack or Greater magic (e.g.Arngrim's Final Blast). When i got my first four characters, i was dying to try out everyone's Special attack. Unfortunately, only one of my characters at this point is capable of doing this (Alicia with that Crest Estoc you get in the lab thingy in Chapter 2). So i felt a bit down on that.

Quote:
As for the skills, I was a little dissapointed at the skills that only become available from accessories in SG, because they kind of sucked. Oh well.

Yeah, i don't think that i'll be getting used to getting skills from the equipment. It was better in VP1 when you get those Skill Points and you put them in skills like Survival (loved that skill. Getting 10,000 health at level 10 or so is a big plus, hehe). But it's not that bad, though.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've finally joined the club!! I am playing through right now...

Is anyone here interested in writing a review for VPS? I'm collecting them for my site, and there's quite a few articulate people passing through this thread...anyone up for it?
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
Well, I've finally joined the club!! I am playing through right now...

Is anyone here interested in writing a review for VPS? I'm collecting them for my site, and there's quite a few articulate people passing through this thread...anyone up for it?

*raises hand* Oh! Me! Me!! I'll be happy to do it!!
Cowardice cannot survive.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Leb has put his up. And he finished the game.

As for me, i'm still in the Sedberg Mountain Ruins in Chapter 3. I was frustrated with that post thingy, but finally got around it. I would like to write ar review, but i'm still too early in the game. :P

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry to bring this up, but i just have to ask a question.

I just went through the Sahma Desert, going into the volcano. Just how much of Chapter 3 did i go through at this point? Compared to the previous two, this is obviously larger. And the enemies are tougher than before. I did get the archer Einherjar, though. Also: *SPOILER*What's up with the enemy+sealstone thingy? Is there a way i can get it?*END Spoiler*
Thank to whoever answers my quiestions.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You are at least halfway through chapter three. There are two more dungeons to go and there is one optional dugeon. I'd suggest clearing the optional one as well. Not only are there good sealstones, it will prepare you for the upcoming dugeons.

My opinions on this game has always been high and I was not disappointed, but if you managed to get your hand son and beat the first game while getting the A ending your experience with the story in this game will be exponetially increased.

I don't quite get your question Starslasher, but I think you mean the stone that is in the Valcano and the enemy is on top of it or it is over inside the enemy. Normally you will have to beat the enemy to get, but I wouldn't bother because the stone isn't all that good and enemies like that are usually stronger than the enemies you would normally run into. I don't know in this case though. I hope that is what you wanted to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: