Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Need help with Spyware/Adware Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Need help with Spyware/Adware Please Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there anyone here that knows a lot about computers and can help me out with this? In the past I've always managed to keep my computer pretty much clean (considering I have no virus protection) and when spyware does get through I've usually managed to get rid of it, but I've been unable to get rid of this one so any help would be appreciated. I'll wait and see if anyone can help before I post any of the details though.
Lucent

Toran Imperial Warlocks

14757 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First thing is first, if you don't have a hardware firewall (IE: a router) then you should go to zonelabs.com and download the freeware version of Zone Alarm. It's better than having no firewall at all.

Next, you'll want to download spybot search and destroy and Ad-Aware. You can find both of these to download for free by searching for each individually on google.

Lastly, google up "avast antivirus" a moderately strong a free antivirus software.

Use both of these spyware programs (ensuring that you have a firewall running first) then run Avast to clean up your system of any nasty little viruses. I'd recommend running ad-aware and spybot monthly and avast weekly.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I already had Ad-Aware, and I use the Microsoft AntiSpyware program and also ScanSpyware. I use the Microsoft Firewall but I followed your advice and got Zone Alarm as well, I downloaded Avast Antivirus and it found about six or seven trojans straight away so thanks for that.

That was the good news, the bad news is that I still have the problem:

When I'm on the internet I sometimes get taken to other websites especially when I go to google, such as

"http://www.deal-foryou.com/normal/yyy102.html"

"http://www.mega-cheap.com/normal/XBCYINT.html"

"http://www.starware.com/2.0.0.0/landing/weather/weather_01.php?banner= w0001&aff_id=weatherazoogle"

"http://www.your-deal.com/normal/yyy102.html"

"http://www.cool-discount.com/normal/yyy102.html"

"http://e.rn11.com/adbuys/a405-admed-ron"

"http://www.searc-h.com/normal/yyy65.htm"l

When trying to use Windows Task Manager to end a process, some processes that I could end before I can no longer end, as I get an Access is Denied error.

Lastly when running CWShredder it detects CWS.Jksearch says it removes it but there is nothing in the recycle bin and CWShredder just finds it again when I run it.

The reason I've got all this is likely because of a crack I used the other day so I could use a program and I've since uninstalled said program.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the program fails to remove something, remove it yourself. Typically these programs will give you addresses on your computer where these files are located. Of course, you're usually messing with the registry when doing this, so backing it up may not be a bad idea. Windows firewall sucks, but I've been told by our physics dept. tech guy that the Microsoft AntiSpyware thing is actually pretty good.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Make sure that when you run spyware/virusware that you search through the options to find the option to enable a deep level scan, ie it scans byte by byte. It takes a long time but will sometimes catch something you may otherwise miss.

It isn't recommeded to do this all the time as it isn't really neccessary, however if you are searching for something specific it can sometimes help. Also make sure you have updated your software to the max before you run these checks.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FF6Sage wrote:
If the program fails to remove something, remove it yourself. Typically these programs will give you addresses on your computer where these files are located. Of course, you're usually messing with the registry when doing this, so backing it up may not be a bad idea.

Yeah I know all about messing with the registry, made my second biggest mistake on my computer that way and had to use boot disks and DOS to restore my computer because whenever I logged in it logged straight back out. If you're interested my current problem is my third biggest mistake and my first...well lets just say it involves an online virus scanner, explorer.exe and the word DELETE.

Thanks to the advice so far but just so you know I'm not new to the problem of spyware despite all evidence to the contrary, although hopefully people who read this thread can learn to protect their computer properly and not make stupid mistakes like me.

There's less of a problem now though, those websites I mentioned before seem to no longer start unless I've already got a browser open which is much better than being interupted every fifteen minutes. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: