Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What is wrong with Chris?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: What is wrong with Chris? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm playing through Suikoden III again, and I just reached the part with the short-lived peace treaty, and Chris just said something along the lines of "Let us quit shedding each other's blood... at least for now." Does anyone else think that that was an incredibly stupid thing to say? She's almost inviting a war. I mean, why not say, "Let's agree to quit fighting, even though we all know that we'll be killing each other again in no time." It would have had the same effect, and would have at least been more honest. I usually like Chris, but this is just an act of supreme stupidity.
Oboro Tennosuke

Earhbound Spirits

453 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, maybe she wanted to show that she wasn't naive enough to believe that Zexen and the Clans would be at peace forever...She wanted to appear tough, or they would have started underestimating her...maybe.

But I agree with you Camus, that was kind of unnecessary for her to say. Perhaps Galahad and Pelize's death were still troubling her deeply.

Bekka

The Kotaro

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I think it is supposed to show they all understand the truce probably won't be permanent and they know it won't solve all the conflicts they have with each other... Both sides know that they are most likely to have more disagreements in the future.

But if you are going to form a truce and the other side adds ‘at least for now' at the end. it does make it sound like they're planning on actually breaking the truce. That's not really the best way to start a peace treaty...
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'm playing through Suikoden III again, and I just reached the part with the short-lived peace treaty, and Chris just said something along the lines of "Let us quit shedding each other's blood... at least for now." Does anyone else think that that was an incredibly stupid thing to say? She's almost inviting a war. I mean, why not say, "Let's agree to quit fighting, even though we all know that we'll be killing each other again in no time." It would have had the same effect, and would have at least been more honest. I usually like Chris, but this is just an act of supreme stupidity.

She wants peace. It's stupid to fooly think that peace if ever lasting. Chris knows that any peace treaty is never a permanent thing especially when either Zexen or Grasslands have new leaders or tribes that are bloodthirsty or vengeful and want a war. Chris wants peace, but she knows that sooner or later there is a chance of a war between Grasslands and Zexen as it seems to be a case of Highland/Dunan - they're two big nations existing in one land very close to each other.

I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of supreme stupidity.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Lord_Tiberus661

White Wolf Army

-21593 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i agree with axiose, she knows peace is not going to be eternal. and anyways, technically it is not her choice for peace, she just leads the knights. the council votes on peace, and she has little to no say in it, if they say go to war, she either does it or is executed for being a tratior in her counrty. politics really mess things up in the whole peace with a nation as different as the zexans and the clans. it is basically racism on a major scale.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is nothing wrong with her words.

It is a TEMPORARY truce, and Grasslands and Zexen has never and will not ever be at peace forever.

Of course, her words apparently were completely wrong since they did not stop shedding each other's blood even for now...
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
She wants peace. It's stupid to fooly think that peace if ever lasting. Chris knows that any peace treaty is never a permanent thing especially when either Zexen or Grasslands have new leaders or tribes that are bloodthirsty or vengeful and want a war. Chris wants peace, but she knows that sooner or later there is a chance of a war between Grasslands and Zexen as it seems to be a case of Highland/Dunan - they're two big nations existing in one land very close to each other.

I think you need to re-evaluate your definition of supreme stupidity.

I realize that the peace would not have been everlasting regardless of what Chris had said, but her saying that undermined the peace treaty that they were there to sign. To me, that's supremely stupid.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, I don't think most of us can have a fair say in the matter until we know what she actually said in the game. We know the proximity of what she said to them, but a missed word here and there could alter the meaning of her words. And for that matter, we would need the Japanese translation of her speech because the words could have been lost in the localization. The original meaning is sometimes different than the PAL or NTSC versions. It's happened countless times before.

But assuming that's what she said, then personally, I don't see much ire it would cause. It's certainly odd to say such a thing in a peace treaty, but it's not critical to the process itself. We have a bunch of warrior tribes plus Chisha and Zexen Knights who have a duty to protect the Zexen people. Their interests are conflicted with one another and thus they have shed a massive amount of blood in each other's expense. It was a time of war and no one knows anything else. Perhaps that's why such a comment was merely glossed over in the eyes of the Grasslanders. A life of peace is a dream to them and so when Chris actually implied that the truce is likely temporary, Grassland just let it slide, knowing it to be true.

"Extreme Stupidity" is going overboard. That would at least imply false pretenses. If I had to call that statement something, I'd call it very unnecessary; but not stupid at all. It's likely true.

We can also make the weaker argument that the peace treaty was going to be signed anyway, so there was no need for either side to mince words. (Lucia thought she was too attractive to be a fighter, or something like that.)

ASHRAF

6500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i don't see something wrong with chris cause she's my favorite character in suiko3
but there's that she killed lulu but it's okay
otherwise she's perfect
and beautiful
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The original meaning is sometimes different than the PAL or NTSC versions. It's happened countless times before.

Just the NTSC Ced ;)

Jowy, what did that have to do with anything? There was nothing wrong with what she said because she's your favourite character? If you have nothing to bring to the discussion, don't bother posting.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Jinners

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well i hate Chris with a passion and what she said seemed logically true. I didnt find anything wrong in her statement.

The grasslanders were seen by the zexens as "barbarians" and there have always been bad relations between the two right? And realistically thinking about it, its like the real world now. There is no peace in the real world, so why in a video game? A treaty doesnt necessarily mean everythings hunky dory, it only means they see eye to eye now.

But that can change in a single action.

Therefore its not stupidity...not to me anyway. Seems more like...well i dont know what. its 1am. im braindead. it's like reality. Sure it could have meant something else entirely. But thats my opinion. I mean, isnt making peace "For now" with someone, good, rather then just letting it go out of control? I think i remember Chris saying she didnt like fighting... Maybe i misread a line somewhere..maybe the manga said that. i dont know...

War is unavoidable sometimes, especially if there is a long dislike in history. Therefore maybe chris knew that...? Just a thought. Im not good at these kinds of discussions so i could be completely wrong.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The possibilities of translation mistakes aside, Chris isn't one to sugercoat her words. It's the truth, and both sides knew it very well.
Oboro Tennosuke

Earhbound Spirits

453 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would agree with you if those words had been spoken by, for example, Dupa. Chris didn't seem to me such a cynical warrior...it looks like she's eagerly awaiting more fighting. Or even mocking the Grasslanders for their inability to respect agreements.

I mean, she isn't exactly a saint, but with these words she's just calling for a counterattack; Especially when she says them to the most proud and impulsive warriors in the world of Suikoden (this is obviously speculation, but I bet it's not far from the truth)

Shouldn't Chris have Zexen's safety in mind, first and foremost? Provoking attack does not seem to be the best strategy IMO:

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's not forget the reaction of the Grasslanders to that comment...or should I say, lack of reaction. Obviously they didn't think twice about what Chris said. So really, in the end, what's the deal?

If Chris didn't say it Lucia would have said the exact same thing. Or even Dupa. Heck, I can even imagine Sana saying it too.

I haven't viewed that particular scene in a while, but if I remember correctly Chris nods her head a bit and looks at the ground? She's obviously tired from the fighting and wants it to end. Her words are sincere and honest. The Grasslanders are also tired of the fighting. They know it won't last forever but both sides will take peace when they can.

^Actual quote!
Mukumuku

The Flying Squirrel Batallion of Tinto

10000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah it really didn't sound out of charater. I can't really think why thats so odd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: