Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Can someone explain this mis-hap over Morgan for me?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Can someone explain this mis-hap over Morgan for me? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

as we all know Morgan is the blind monk in SI, but when he is recruited he says he's "been blind since birth"

yet on numerous sites and (i believe in the mangas as well) he was reported to be an awesome gladiator in Falena that had his eyes torn out due to winning so much

Could he be lying? or is it just another mistranslation by our pals at Konami?
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that he said that to disguise his past as a gladiator. I could be wrong though.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, he was lying. People typically don't tell you all of their past history of angst and slavery upon their first meeting.
Rikimaru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe we will find out in SV. 8-)
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:
Yeah, he was lying. People typically don't tell you all of their past history of angst and slavery upon their first meeting.

Except in most RPGs of course. :P

But, yeah, Morgan lied.

"Hi, I'm Morgan. I study at this temple. I was once a gladiator in a far away country called Falena. I defeated (and possibly killed) so many people there they had to remove my eyes so anyone could stand a chance against me.

Then I kept killing people so they sold me as a slave. Then the boat sank and I washed up in this third-rate backwater one-village region of your country and now I study here as a monk.

What's your name?"
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow. I honestly never knew he was lying, but then again, I never really paid too much attention to him. I always thought that those who angsty pasts usually just stay silent about it rather than lie. Guess not.

Makes him more interesting though and kind of reminds me that I need to pay more attention. Heh.
Dahgaba

Wandering Swords

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its the characters that make suikoden a classic. That is why I am still a die hard fan of the series.

"Join us at the best Final Fantasy Forum around!" www.ffplatform.com
laylei

Key and Rose

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved Morgan. I used him in my final battle party, and he was pretty good. I hope he's in SV.

I just figured he was lying as well, considering he used to be a slave. He might have been worried someone would "turn him in".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe he ment it like he never looked deeper at people or somthing when you meet him he said he could see your soul or somthing like that. So he feels he can see better without his eyes.

CLERKS
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I never paye much attention to him either. In fact, up until recently I thought he was a woman. Maybe I'll try to play Suikoden again just to see what exactly he says(I probably won't since I'm too lazy). i do remember the part where he said he was blind from birth, though. Wow, now that he's been brought up it makes me wanna learn more about him. I hope he's in SV, but before he was blinded. I'm sure he could be a really strong ally.
Ormiss

Ashwind

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to have to apply Ockham's Razor on this and say that the most likely explanation is that the part about gladiatoral battles and slavery is retroactive continuity. Unless it was mentioned somewhere else in Suikoden 1, the fact that he lied is a mere construction after the fact. For all intents and purposes, there was no such background plan in the original game. On the other hand, leaving such details open for later reconstruction is indeed a powerful tool. Writers use this kind of ruse constantly, especially in fantasy. It's all a matter of filling in the blanks and then pretending that you had a plan all along. :D
Noah

Sneaky Paw

6913 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What the hell? Where does someone go to find backstory like that? Someone could have made that up since there is almost no backstory for anyone in Suikoden 1... most people in that game seemed to just be in their lives "doing their thing", when suddenly the hero, or "Tir", came along and said "Hey you should join the revolution!" Some people had the nerve to ask for items... some joined without being asked (looks in the direction of Kuromimi, or "Black Ears" to the owners of a Suikoden 1 manual).

I guess every character can't be a Viktor or a Humphrey... or the game would be ALL backstory text and be deemed unplayable... Or tons of plot with small intermissions of gameplay or a level or something, kinda like Xenogears was.

As far as I knew, Morgan was just another "some dude" character like Meese, or Kirke... like a Qlon who could fight.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

apprently you don't know how to look up stuff.got this stuff off of suikosource.

Quote:
Morgan is originally from Falena where he was a gladiator. As a slave swordsman, he was so powerful that he always won. Thus, his eyes were removed to equal the odds in the gladiatorial arena. However, even after he became blind, he was equally powerful due to his focus into his inner being. Because of that, Falena sold him to the Island Nations. During the voyage, the ship he was on was destroyed by a storm and Morgan luckily washed up in Toran. He then joined the Qlon Temple where he continues to hone his inner being. He joined with the Toran Liberation Army for a while, but after the war he returned to Qlon Temple for further meditation.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat

Last edited by Buff on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apparently you don't know how to quote.

And as to where: a lot of this stuff comes from japanese only publications and the like.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buff, don't be rude.

Realistic explanation: It's retconning, just like true-rune users below a certain age continuing to grow.

In-Game explanation: He's lying. He could quite likely have a bounty on his head, and he isn't going to tell some stranger that he was sold as a slave, but his boat wrecked and he wound up washed up in Toran. For all he knows, Tir could easily turn him in for a reward!

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: