Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Knight vs. Samurai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sadness wrote:
I think pirates would have owned both knights and samurais. Knights will be helpless in water because their armor will sink them, and the same is true with samurai.

Then how does a pirate fare against a knight or samurai on dry land?

Quote:
But to be honest, I don't think you can compare these two, because they never actually met in battle. You can only construct a hypothetical situation!! There's no data!! You can't have any good theory unless you have actual data, so I don't find any of the arguments convincing.

Hence the topic. I would like you to make a hypothetical situation. No knight has ever fought against a samurai, well none accounted anyways. If you want to talk about them drowning under the weight of their weapons and armor underwater, go ahead. Whining is frowned upon, you know.

Fox Hound wrote:
Need I stressed though, that in Medieval Wars, only an imbicile would go on to battle using only Knights. The wars back then were about combined arms (pikemen, archers, infantries, cavalry). This also applicable to the Japanese and the Chinese.

My 2 cents.

True, that's true. But the European Knights were at a disadvantage in the Crusades
when coming against the mounted archers, whose range and mobility made a dangerous combination. As far as i know, the knights did not train on achery on the horse. Samurais were trained in mounted archery, though. Should a squad of mounted samurais come against a squad of mounted Knights, the samurai (with bows) would have the advantage, would they not?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fox Hound

Former White Wolf

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starlsasher wrote:
But the European Knights were at a disadvantage in the Crusades
when coming against the mounted archers, whose range and mobility made a dangerous combination. As far as i know, the knights did not train on achery on the horse. Samurais were trained in mounted archery, though. Should a squad of mounted samurais come against a squad of mounted Knights, the samurai (with bows) would have the advantage, would they not?

Yep, that's why crossbowmen were the most feared units by knights back then. The Vatican even have them outlawed because they could easily killed knights with only minimum training, unlike knights which had been trained since birth. Not to mention how the Mongols and Seljuk Turkish horse archers easily decimated knights back then, and don't forget how the Huns screwed the Western Roman on the first place, horse archers.

So yes a squad of mounted samurai-archers would have the upper advantage againts the knights. But some knights also have mounted units who specialized in crossbows/bows, although it's only a very very small numbers of them. :?
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I think pirates would have owned both knights and samurais. Knights will be helpless in water because their armor will sink them, and the same is true with samurai.

Pirates rely on quantity, not quality. Most of them are goons with almost no battle skills in which a single knight and samurai could easily defeat. Knights and Samurais, however could battle alone if needed. They're trained, but pirates aren't
Prince Crisafulli

Fulli Force

5827 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know Riou and Jowy weren't trained as Samurais, but they were trained in Martial Arts, which leads me to believe since they were soldiers, oh perhaps not knights in a Knightdom such as Matilda or Razril, but still they were Knights none the less they had skill in both areas. Therefore if somebody has a skill and is exceptional, then it doesn't matter what their style is as long as they are effective, Luca Blight was immensely strong and he would probably fall under the Knight catagory, but Riou with help defeated him and he would fall into martial arts in my eyes.
Also there is a variation of skill and expertise for each, so a Knight who was renowned but was aging may fall victim against a fresh young Samurai who used his speed against him, therefore tactics not strength or speed would determine the outcome.
Tactics have been shown to fare extremely well, one such example is Genghis Khan's conquest of Russia, he only sent a small patrol but they invaded a considerable amount before being pushed back, which was due to tactics, since Russia was a huge Empire, and its not the type that would be easily conquested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: