Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Egyptian culture of Raura and Hortez & co. in S5?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Grammar is good. Please make an effort to write more understandably in the future.

Hey dont descrimnate agants people who went to a school that didnt care damn california school system :evil:

CLERKS
PirateSigurd

Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And Shiba wasnt from the Southlands, he is from the Grasslands, Lizard clan.

"The Blood of the sea flows through my veins, I return to it now to be reborn" Troy
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

And Shiba wasnt from the Southlands, he is from the Grasslands, Lizard clan

Eighter him or Bazban(is this right) was from a Lizard clan in the south.

CLERKS
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree with Mitchell here, both Raura and Hortez looked to be of Aztec or Mayan design, not Egyptian. Raura's head dress if I remember correctly is the only thing that looks even similar to Egyptian culture. And Hortez is Spanish, which is what Central America was populized by back in the days of Cortez.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gunloc

19976 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Raura & Hortez VII's design has a very distinct ancient Egyptian look.

And remember that Hortez VII's full name is Nefentitiri Radames Ampenhetep Iruiktanas Antikoseus Puto Remaios Kureakias Dimetirios Farasmuseian Ishak Saraj Amenenuhet Tatomes Hatshepsut Toto Ank Amen Hortez VI's son, Hortez VII. Many of his names are just slightly altered versions of the names of Ancient Egyptian gods/rulers/etc.

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

interesting..that dungeon HAS to be of his culture

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought that it was Dupa that was from the other Lizard Clan?

Anyways, with a name like that, Hortez has to be of Egyptian like culture.

Raura doesn't quite have to be, since we all know her amazing lack of directional skills, she could've wound up "north in the Nameless Lands" (Translation: Falena), and could've gotten her head dress there. She seems to not have as dark of skin as Hortez does, so it seems the chances are higher for Hortez to be based off of Egyptians then Raura.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:

Anyways, with a name like that, Hortez has to be of Egyptian like culture.

He has Parts of Egypt/Central American Names in it. Hortez alone is spanish.. I think Konami wanted to mixup mayas with egypts at the time they developed raura and him
Gunloc

19976 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think the name Hortez was chosen for it's Spanish backround and I can't find any other parts of his name that are Spanish based, I think it's just a coincidence. I personally don't see any central American influence in Raura or Hortez's designs.

MMan9000 wrote:
Raura doesn't quite have to be, since we all know her amazing lack of directional skills, she could've wound up "north in the Nameless Lands" (Translation: Falena), and could've gotten her head dress there. She seems to not have as dark of skin as Hortez does, so it seems the chances are higher for Hortez to be based off of Egyptians then Raura.

Raura is Hortez's mother so I think it's safe to assume they have a shared cultural backround.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gunloc wrote:
Hortez VII's full name is Nefentitiri Radames Ampenhetep Iruiktanas Antikoseus Puto Remaios Kureakias Dimetirios Farasmuseian Ishak Saraj Amenenuhet Tatomes Hatshepsut Toto Ank Amen Hortez VI's son, Hortez VII..

holy..! :D That's hilarious :lol
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, you all think that they're egyptian? Raura and Hortez VII have no ties to egypt. Absolutely none. Suikoden is known to take names and such from various locations in our world and transplant similar ones in the suikoverse. I guess by your thoughts the people of L'Renouille must be french, because its a french name. Miklotov must be russian. Freed and Yoshino MUST be japanese with the last name Yamamato. Yoshino looks of oriental decent too. But Freed, he looks like an american to me.

Throughout the game there have been people who look and act different. This is for individualization. Raura and Hortez both act clueless and spaced out because they are supposedly related. Its quite a given that in suikoden the apple never falls far from the tree. Emily and Camille share very similar attributes, and Sanae Y. acts like her father (Freed) and looks and fights like her mother (Yoshino). So, it stands to reason that if Hortez VII is Raura's son that he too would inherit her personality. The reason why Hortez wears what he wears? To tie him to Raura. If you look at the children of other suikoden games, like Sanae and Emily, you see a definite likeness to their parents. With Hortez VII you do not see that as much because Raura never fought and most passed her off as a non-major character. So they gave Hortez similar clothes.

Another factor, could be that yes, Sindar symbols appear on the hat that Hortez wears. So, you are led to believe that he's Sindarian. I disagree. Both Raura and Hortez are (I can't think of the official title) people who turn runes into scrolls. The procedure to do that may be a Sindar technique. It has never been said how exactly they turn the runes into one time use spells. But it stands to reason it is an advanced technique and it probablt isn't taught in standard schools.

So, it is my guess that their character's garb was based off of egyptian or Aztec (I actually first thought Hortez to be aztec as well) however the culture they come from do not neccessarily have to be an egyptian or aztec one.

Onto the small task of the Lizard Clan. Shiba was from the southern lands. This is clearly stated in the text of Suikoden 3. You didn't even have to send the mostly useless detective Kidd to find this out. It is said when you first arrive in Great Hollow with Hugo. Dupa explains a Lizard Clan procedure that Shiba is not aware of and Dupa claims it is because Shiba is not originally from this clan but came from the south.

On to the presence of Sindar in Falena. We do not know if we'll see any actual sindar ruins in Suikoden V. The dungeons we see may just be basements to the castles of various places. Whether or not there are Sindar ruins in Falena is up for speculation, but it is my beleif that there are some because of Killey's presence there. Killey said he's spent his life searching for the Sindar. If he was originally from Falena it is safe to say he was exposed to these ruins at a younger age and began his love for them there. It was the break from jail that forced him to flee his homeland and search the rest of the world for the Sindar.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well but them 2 are closer to being egypt then anyone else

19976 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
So, you all think that they're egyptian? Raura and Hortez VII have no ties to egypt. Absolutely none.

I don't think they are Egyptian, they can't be because they exist in the Suikoden universe, not on Earth. I said I believe their designs are ancient Egyptian based.

RedCydranth wrote:
Its quite a given that in suikoden the apple never falls far from the tree. Emily and Camille share very similar attributes

I think Emily is the daugther of Ronnie Bell.

Last edited by Gunloc on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You might be thinking of Rachal as who looks and acts like Camille. I thought that it was Camille under a different name at first, but that isn't possible...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details

moss2

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've always thought that Hortez and Raura has more of an Aztec/Incan style to them, rather than Egyptian.

I was about to say that I might be the only one that thinks this, but then I saw Mitchell's post above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: