Suikoden Unique and Informational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

OLEG!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-Traitor-McDohl

Shi Shi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: OLEG! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone noticed that the Oleg the photographer from SIV is the same Oleg the photographer from Kawano's Shadows of Destiny?
Can we expect more Shadows of Destiny cameos in future Kawano Suikodens?
(my apologies if someone has already adressed this)
p.s. EVERYONE, PLEASE STOP PICKING ON JUNKO KAWANO!
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, he is, heh, very similar. And no, most people likely haven't since:

a) Not too many people played Shadows of Destiny (I don't think)

b) Those that did probably don't remember since it was a launch title.

c) He does look a little different.

My guess is we'll continue to see injoke Kawano characters for as long as she works with Suikoden, if they allow her to put them in. *shrugs* Who knows, perhaps next time we'll get Eike. ;)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I've heard about it sometime before the release of Suikoden IV that there was a rumor of such character to appear. But since I don't play Shadow of Destiny, I didn't notice it myself. I'm just a bit disappointed that there was a "video recorder" like that in Suikoden world while it doesn't really fit.

While yes character like Meg in Suikoden 2 had a laptop kind of thingy, it was a bit more for comical purposes. On the other hand, Oleg's video recorder was a part of the story. No big deal, but still a bit "out of place" for me.

P.S.: Could you please change your location into something shorter (or with some space)? You're not supposed to promote your website via the location info (try putting in your signature instead), and it's too long (because there's no space in between) that it ruins the setup of the page. Thank you.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

The-Traitor-McDohl

Shi Shi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well... there was a speed boat on the original Suikoden.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never really payed much attention to Oleg and the fact that he had a camera. I didn't think he was that interesting, even though he had the single most advanced piece of technology in SuikodenIV
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I realised something funny I think. In comment box Oleg wrote that in future he want to make mechanism that would be able to record people's memories. Isn't this direct connection to this other game Shadow of Memories? :?

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of the technology in Suikoden is Sindarin in nature. The motor boat, Gadget the talking barrel, all of the trickster gear Meg and Juppo and Belle use, Gadget's GPS device (presumably), the clockwork guards at Lepant's mansion, the Firewind Cannon, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Sergei's elevator is run by water power and I don't think it's Sindarin either. The Suikoden 2 and 3 elevators aren't really advanced; they're pulled by elevator "barbarians". And Super Gadget was based on Sindarin knowledge but formed through the efforts of the various craftsmen of Suikoden 2's SoD.

Oleg's camera was never mentioned as being Sindarin though. Thats what bugs me. It's totally out of place, but unlike the other out of place technology its not included with a sense of humor...its presence is dead serious. If he had just said "I developed this by studying Sindarin knowledge" it would have been more feasible.

^Actual quote!
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't find a primitive non-color camera to be that of a strech. Oleg just got lucky and made something that could change the world. Not that it did given S1-3. Maybe the Island nations have color cameras in the Present time? The Island nations were quite advance given there time frame. The Ship of Obel was huge feat. They are so far the earliest inventors of the elevator. (One that works in a weird way how did that thing get you to the port in obel anyway?) not to mention the camera which was more or less looked over by everyone in Suikoden 4. (They only cared about what it caught and not it itself.) Maybe the camera vanished into the history books. Wouldn't be the first time technolgy that was too advance for it's time got the shaft.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the thing is, the video recorder was weird because they didn't even have a "normal camera" technology yet to take photographs. They had no technology to capture a still picture, yet, they could suddenly jump to record a moving image.

One thing also bugged me a bit is Lino's purpose of finding Oleg in the first place. Maybe I missed it (since I've only played the game once), but was it ever explained why Lino wanted to find Oleg? It seems that he had no use of him whatsoever other than the record of Iluya's destruction. Since there is no way that Lino could predict such thing to happen, then what was the point of him trying to find Oleg? Lino didn't even reward Oleg straight away for the record, showing that he wasn't really all that interested in the video recorder.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe Lino simply wanted to gather those 108 SoD but there is another question: How could he knew Oleg is one of them?

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's no point for Lino for trying to gather the 108 SoDs since he is not the Tenkai Star, and keep in mind at that time, Lino hasn't joined up with Lazlo (Hero IV) yet. So technically speaking, there were no "gathering the Star of Destiny" yet.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oleg looks a lot like oleg in shadow of destiny but not exactly the same traitor mcdohl ( i am on topic here ok so no one punish me ok)

The-Traitor-McDohl

Shi Shi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

runemaster wrote:
Oleg looks a lot like oleg in shadow of destiny but not exactly the same traitor mcdohl ( i am on topic here ok so no one punish me ok)

Just like the Cloud from Final Fantasy Tactics isn't exactly the same Cloud from Final Fantasy VII?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The-Traitor-McDohl wrote:
runemaster wrote:

Just like the Cloud from Final Fantasy Tactics isn't exactly the same Cloud from Final Fantasy VII?

Nope, more like the Oleg in Suikoden IV is really a different character than the Oleg in Shadow of Destiny though seems to be based on the Oleg in Shadow of Destiny. Oleg in Suikoden IV is not a film director, he's an inventor of video recorder. Oleg in Suikoden IV doesn't seem to regret his life either.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

sorry to go off topic but i never knew that

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: