Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

News: Murayama wrote whole script of Suikoden 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: News: Murayama wrote whole script of Suikoden 3 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Previously, it was rumored that Murayama left Konami before completing the script for Suikoden 3, and for that reason chapter 4 and 5 were rushed by amateur writers (prompting the seculation that Koroku's slot was supposed to be Sasarai, etc).

However, Shadrad (who is a fanartist at Suikosource among other things) ran into Akiko Takeshita at a convention. She was involved in Suikoden 2 and 3 on the graphics side. So, Shadrad asked her the burning question, and the reply was that Murayama left after he completed the entire script.

This puts an end to one of the mysteries that we thought would never be solved.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yeah, that really answers one question, but unfortunately, I think there is another question on regarding whether Murayama had full creative control over Suikoden III or not. I mean, though he wrote the whole script of Suikoden III, was it really the way he wanted it to be or was it sort of under Konami's pressure to do certain things (that might led to the decision why Murayama left Konami as well).

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Didn't chapter 4 & 5 feel like disc 2 in Xenogears to anyone else? I wonder if similar problems occurred in Suikoden 3.....

One answer leads to a whole lot more speculation..... either way, thanks for sharing it Sars

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WHat do you mean Koroku's slot was supposed to be Sasarai? Sasarai was already a star. Does that mean rumors say you were supposed to be able to recruit Clone Boy earlier and that he was supposed to be the Chima and then someone else was supposed to be the Tengou? Or does that mean Sasarai was supposed to have a POV instead of Koroku?

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i had no idea he did the whole script well thanks anyway to you SARS.

Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he means POV since as you said, Sasarai was already a star. Either that or he was supposed to run around on all fours.

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It'd be hilarious if you're controlling Sasarai as you visit the Homeland. i.e. Nash doesn't want him to piss on him, heh. And, Jeane's "secret"? Wow. Our favorite bishop, of all people...

Still, I doubt this news would stop those rumours anyhow. Once in denial, always in denial.
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finally! Wow, I really thought I'd die without knowing the truth.

Quote:

Ah yeah, that really answers one question, but unfortunately, I think there is another question on regarding whether Murayama had full creative control over Suikoden III or not. I mean, though he wrote the whole script of Suikoden III, was it really the way he wanted it to be or was it sort of under Konami's pressure to do certain things (that might led to the decision why Murayama left Konami as well).

My thoughts exactly. Chapters 4 & 5 do have a change of pace, and they feel rushed. Especially compared to the rest of the game. If Murayama was forced to modify his script, and that was the reason of him resigning, that we don't know.

But I'm glad to know that the "Suikoden trilogy" was done entirely by him. My appreciation of Suikoden III just went up.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I read about this, too. Usually, pacing problems in a game happen because of budget issues. Xenogears was rushed because they ran out of cash and Square was like, "Finish this or you guys get canned". So they finished it.

If you're writing a game, more than likely the story script is something that is finished early. You cannot develop detailed code and graphic models unless characters are finalized and the storyboard is in place.

The pacing issue in Suikoden III had more to do with the shift in narrative technique than the quality of the story, if you ask me.
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think a better question would be if they followed the script exactly the way Murayama had intended it. Lots of people write scripts only to have them altered later on for various reasons beyond their control. We still cant be sure this is story that was intended maybe they followed a basic outline but changed some things along the way. Then again it doesnt really matter to me because I actually like suikoden 3( except for the Major battles that grid sucked big time).
The-Traitor-McDohl

Shi Shi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This may be common knowledge around here (forgive me, I'm new), but what exactly is Murayama doing now?
It seems like other developers would be glad to snap-up such a talented scenario writer.
btw. I remember watching for Murayama's name during the credits of III and not seeing it. What gives?
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I remember watching for Murayama's name during the credits of III and not seeing it. What gives?

i think they removed him because he left so thats about it

As far as i know i have no clue what he is doing now.

Lena Suphina

Luna Azul

7653 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So now the excuse of the downhill - wards of Suikoden 3's Chapter 4 onwards is no longer "Murayama quit" but now "They hadn't gotten enough time"

Of course I love Murayama, I'm just messing around. I reckon whatever he did, he did it in good faith that it would be accepted warmly. Unless he's really bitter about it. Now that's another thing.

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The big question for me is this: Did Murayama plan on Suikoden 4 turning out the way it did?

Did he intend to go to the Island Nations? Did he intend to go 150 years in the past? Did he intend to reduce the party size and remove the skill system?

I want to know if all of the Suikoden games coming out now were part of his "design" that he may have planned out ahead of time. My intuition says "no" but it could be possible.

^Actual quote!
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i say no because that does not seem like something he would do but then again thats what i think i may be wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: