Suikoden Unique and Illusional Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Kawano Alludes to Suikoden Sequel for PS3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What happened to Leon? He gettin too old and you need someone younger? :P

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would think leon is either in the scarlet moon empire,to old, or he does not fit in the timeline of the game.

rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

look guys lets face it even if many of us here is disappointed at s3 and s4 saying that it will lose alot of fans coz of its "not so deep storyline" well yeah your right. but face it even thou how many times you hate those two games when you heard that suikoden 5 is going to be released and news about 6 for ps3 look who started to talk about suikoden again. i bet my ass you'll buy those 2 games when they are release even thou your always saying how much they stunk. i believe suikoden will not lose its following instead i believe it will follow thru. cmon where in a suikoden community lets give kawano a chance.

and i like all the suikoden games coz they're suikoden.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lena Suphina

Luna Azul

7653 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What people are afraid is that the makers are pushing it by offering what looks like a very unpolished result. People don't care that much about sales counts as long as the game provides satisfaction. Of course I don't hate IV, but people don't just buy because it's suikoden. Not everyone has a disposable income. Hell, I probably won't get a ps3 even if suikoden 100 went out on it unless there is a cheaper pricetag.

However I still think Kawano still deserves a second chance. The success of III pushed the bar a bit too high in my opinion. Sure you could make a great story full of everything but it always starts off as a story that is great only to you. I may recall a story of the Breath of Fire series, where Capcom decided to take a gamble and release their 5th game which resembled very little to it's predecessors. It sold peanuts in the US but it is now slowly gaining fans. The story of IV was not anything like 3, but I'm happy it did so. Because if they stuck to 3, the game would be damn boring. and repeating the concept is not a good idea to reviewers.

The party number topic is always going to have different responses. People love this, people hate that.

What I really want is to see Suikoden take a gamble and use their popularity introduce something that is new to mainstream gamers. not new as in "appealing to" but rather what they want and not something cut up to fit the deadline. And I'll go back to Breath of Fire V, which I worship because it did such a wonderful job at ignoring the thought of "what if the mainstream gamers don't like!?".

I have nothing against mainstream gamers by the way, I'm just taking it as a marketing view. Many games are made just for the masses. I wouldn't be surprised if suikoden 6 turned out to be a rehashed suikoden 3 with bits of 2.

Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

aisuru wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if suikoden 6 turned out to be a rehashed suikoden 3 with bits of 2.

Oh god, don't say that. You're getting my hopes up!

^Actual quote!
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it makes sense for them to already be planning Suikoden 6. I mean, it would only make sense if they hope to push the release of S6 to be somewhere along the release of PS3.

Afterall, it would be the best marketing time since with the new release of PS3, there would be limited amount of games, and if they make S6 one of the first games to be released, it'll improve sales...
rane

86165 Potch
50 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The story of IV was not anything like 3, but I'm happy it did so. Because if they stuck to 3, the game would be damn boring. and repeating the concept is not a good idea to reviewers.

yup your right there dude.

Quote:

Well, it makes sense for them to already be planning Suikoden 6. I mean, it would only make sense if they hope to push the release of S6 to be somewhere along the release of PS3.

Afterall, it would be the best marketing time since with the new release of PS3, there would be limited amount of games, and if they make S6 one of the first games to be released, it'll improve sales...

good timing. they won't miss the proper opportune moment. but still they can release s6 if it has been really polished.

To feel used, to feel lust, to feel wanted for once
To know there's somebody else who's dying to feel anything
I'm Ready and willing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 1 was the first RPG released for the PS1. But it didn't sell so well because everyone was saving money for FF7.

^Actual quote!
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

skymansxeno wrote:
"Suikoden needs to evolve gameplay wise. III allowed this. IV deevolved this step. Hopefully they realize this. I don't want Suikoden 2.100101010"

Well, I would say that they are finally trying to do new ideas with gameplay and such. She did say she was looking for people with new/inventive ideas.

How are they trying new things with the series? We know nothing about Suiko V.

Personally, I wish Suikoden was more like Final Fantasy in terms of gameplay variety. Each Final Fantasy keeps the essential traditions, but they expand the system so much that it feels different, plays different, and offers a refreshing, completely new experience. This is why I love III compared to other games in the series, it starts new ground for the series and actually tries to be different. Thanks to all the complaints about III *being* different, they made IV a backstep in terms of gameplay and innovation.

Change != bad. I'm worried that Suiko V will be as mediocre, uninspired, and same old same old like IV because of all the complaints with III's haters, people who apparently can't grasp change and hold on to old memories tightly.

Quote:
Suikoden 1 was the first RPG released for the PS1. But it didn't sell so well because everyone was saving money for FF7.

...It..was?
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Change is not what the majority of fans want...

We want improving and perfecting what is already established!

We want the game to preserve what it always had, but make it better. This isn't hard to do. Suikoden 2 took everything good about Suikoden 1 and perfected it, while doing away with what was bad. Thats what we want, plain and simple.

Not "another Suikoden 2" in terms of taking everything from Suikoden 2 and making a copy of it, even though the game was about as perfect as a sequel can possibly ask to be and had more drama in the first 5 minutes than most RPGs have from beginning to end...but "another Suikoden 2" in terms of improving upon already established systems, storylines, and characters like Suikoden 2 did, insteading of whoring off some Final Fantasy dribble and expecting fans to swallow it because they're so devoted to the series that they would buy twenty more Suikodens even if they hated every game because they loved the first three so much.

Or...something like that.

Change can be good. But this is Suikoden. Change is not what we need. Improving and perfecting what is already there is what we need. You can still have the same kind of dilemnas, the same kind of story, and the same kind of battle system, and make it interesting by improving it every time.

Change should be reserved for the series' last death throes. Thats when we need Suikoden Extreme Beach Volleyball and Suikoden 3-2: Luc's Revenge.

And the reason Suikoden 4 was a backstep in development isn't because fans complained about Suikoden 3. It's because fans complained about Suikoden 3 and the game makers heard us...but didn't understand us. They completely misunderstood what we were complaining about and decided to completely abandon everything that had been constructed over three games and almost a decade.

I probably ranted didn't I? I apologize.

Whatever the case I'm still excitied about Suikoden V and this new rumor of another Suikoden for the PS3.

^Actual quote!
Lena Suphina

Luna Azul

7653 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Thunder wrote:

It wasn't just that, it was because the cover looked like a Dungeons and Dragons game threw up on it.

Quote:
Change can be good. But this is Suikoden. Change is not what we need. Improving and perfecting what is already there is what we need. You can still have the same kind of dilemnas, the same kind of story, and the same kind of battle system, and make it interesting by improving it every time.

The Suikoden thing is so versatile. I don't know how to say it completely. But look at this. 108 heroes, plot elements and bam, Suikoden. Sure it wont live up to everyone's expectations of returning characters and "oh woe why didn't they keep the battlesystem of...". But I can not stop saying how lucky Konami has the right to say "we did it first!" with Suikoden. They have EVERY right to change everything. Even if it doesn't mention your favourite nation or icecream flavour. As some have said, we will buy it because it's a Suikoden game. And that holds true to many. Some bought/rented IV despite the nasty reviews. Suikoden has yet to create a cult of followers in the US that suck up Konami's every words. The FF series are given a blank canvas to start with. Suikoden already has limits to it.

And change does not mean "How can we sell this better?". Konami knew what the fans wanted. They wanted more 3. But they already knew that they cant do that anymore. 3 had been finished and opening up is not part of Suikoden. And they can't just redo the story with a little tweaks and different characters. If they try to do another complex character filled political plot, people will complain that it's nothing like 3.

Besides, for all we know, Suikoden V could be like IV. The game has nothing except images and screenshots and short descriptions. When IV was coming out, people were waiting anxiously. And they could make it as un-Suikoden 3 as they want, that only shows that they are aware that they are doing something that they want.

To sum things up:
108 stars + Plot elements in similiarity to the novel = Suikoden #x
Everything else is frippery

Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It wasn't just that, it was because the cover looked like a Dungeons and Dragons game threw up on it.

You couldn't be more right on that. Whats worse is that the characters on the cover are supposed to be actual Suikoden characters.

Quote:
Konami knew what the fans wanted. They wanted more 3.

I say that you're wrong. A lot of fans didn't approve of S3. The staff of Suikoden said that they realized many fans were unhappy with the game and thats one of the reasons they wanted to change the series a bit and do something more similar to Suikoden 1 (read: stale). And also something about not being able to continue Murayama's story for some reason.

Quote:
If they try to do another complex character filled political plot, people will complain that it's nothing like 3.

I'm sorry I don't quite get what you're saying. Are you saying that if S4 was a complex character filled political plot then people would have complained? Because I gather that people are complaining about how it (S4) is none of those things and thats why they're angry at the series.

And why would people complain that having a complex character filled political plot would be nothing like S3? Thats exactly what S3 was. Thats also what S2 was. Its also what S1 was. And its what S4 was supposed to be. Complex character filled political plots are what the entire series is based on.

Quote:
Besides, for all we know, Suikoden V could be like IV.

*seppuku*

Quote:
To sum things up:
108 stars + Plot elements in similiarity to the novel = Suikoden #x
Everything else is frippery

That couldn't be farther from correct in opinion. What makes a Suikoden a Suikoden is the storytelling...a "complex character filled political plot" like you said. Murayama was a master storyteller and wove interesting and detailed stories. The 108 Stars of Destiny is just something thats kind of a plot tradition for the series just like Viki is, something that will not go away because it is a solid part of the series, even though it's becoming more and more difficult to explain with every game. Good storytelling is more important than having 108 stars or an upgradable castle.

In my opinion anyway.

^Actual quote!
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know, I personally would prefer change, as well as improving and perfecting old features.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Thunder wrote:
Change is not what the majority of fans want...

We want improving and perfecting what is already established!

We want the game to preserve what it always had, but make it better. This isn't hard to do. Suikoden 2 took everything good about Suikoden 1 and perfected it, while doing away with what was bad. Thats what we want, plain and simple.

Doesn't that also exactly explain the changes between Suikoden 2 and 3? Only that we weren't happy with that one. The result: Suikoden 4. Sorry that they misunderstood one-third of the fandom, but the rest of us isn't exactly thrilled by the idea of dropping 3's innovations and returning to the series' glorified "roots".

At this stage, it feels like Suikoden 5 will disappoint some of us regardless of how the game itself turn out to be. I have no doubt.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

At this stage, it feels like Suikoden 5 will disappoint some of us regardless of how the game itself turn out to be. I have no doubt

with all due respect what are you trying to say,i dont think that suikoden 5 will disapoint anyone from what we have heard so far,ok i admit not everyone was thrilled with suikoden 4 but that does not mean that suikoden 5 is going to suck.It means that konami made a mistake and they will learn from that and make suikoden 5 rock this world. :mrgreen:

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: