Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FF6Sage wrote:
What is that book about? I've seen two people reading it and I've never heard of it.

Siddhartha is by Herman Hesse and it's the story of how spiritualism takes precedence is a man named Siddhartha's life.

*SPOILERS*It's about a man becoming a Buddha thru a long series of events in his life. The book itself is told in a rather dull style, but the ideas presented in it are facinating if you have little background on Buddhism like I did before reading it. Basically, Siddhartha is the son of a rich family who decides he wants to get rid of all his possessions and study the Brahmin faith, I think. On his path he meets the Illustrious One, a Buddha, who I'm not sure whether or not he was supposed to be "the" Buddha. He tells Buddha that he loves the ideas he has but he needs to experience life for himself. Then he goes on a long journey of self discovery ending in "Om."

When I read it, I thought it was a stellar book. Check it out if you've never read it, it's an important book even if you don't like it.

Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was reading Silver Spike by Glen Cook (part of the Black Company fantasy series about mercenaries). But now that school's started, I'm going to have to put that on hiatus for a while as I trudge through such exciting reads as ML for the Working Programmer and Principles of Modern Chemistry.

For a good read, some books I really enjoyed were Riddley Walker by Russel Hoban (about a boy in a post-nuclear war world written in a very interesting and creative invented dialect ala Clockwork Orange), Contact by Carl Sagan (even better than the movie, which I immensely enjoyed), and War of the Rats by David L. Robbins (a wonderfully desciptive historical fiction about the battle of Stalingrad).

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Currently I'm reading Poetic Edda by Snorri Sturlusson. I found the e-book at Gutenberg. Trying to read those old english word.

Edda's story is about Norse Myth. My favourite part is Voluspa, the Vala's phropecy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Breeze

Whispering Winds

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently torturing myself with People of the Wolf by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. It's a terrible book; terrible writing style, terrible plot, shallow characters... Generally horrible. I'm only reading it because it started off being so horrible, it was funny... Now it's just bad. Worst of all, the back of the book is trying to convince me that it's all a true story. Riiight.

Besides that, I'm reading Revelation by Carol Berg. It is so far not as great as Transformation; I miss the arrogant prince and his temper tantrums. *sob*

And when I need cheering up, I read Duh! The Stupid History of the Human Race by Bob Fenster. Think the Darwin Awards, but people aren't only dying. It's beautiful :lol:

Books that I plan to start reading are Squire by Peter Telep, Cliches of Politics edited by Mark Spangler, and my biology book from last year. Yes, the teacher let us take the biology books home, since they wouldn't be using them anymore. And yes, I am crazy and read textbooks in my free time. I would've taken home my History book if I could; it was so incredibly silly.

What do you think are my strengths and weaknesses?
Viktor2008

Army of Hades

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am not much of a reader, I have tried to read a book, but I just can not get into a book nomatter how hard I try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Old Kingdom by Garth Nix
- Sabriël
- Liraël
- Abhorsen

I find this serie very good :)
It's about as the titel says :roll: and old kingdom that has fallen under the ages, now it's full of death because the barrier between life and death has been broken and for so our heroes must ofcourse banish the death all the way back into the realm of death and make sure they can't return to the realm of life :mrgreen:

Really a great book people

Also just finished reading : The Winged Cat by Isabel Hoving
If you like fantasy you'll enjoy all 510 pages

Regards
nanami

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
aimless

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading the boards at the moment.

Okay, seriously, I'm reading Sherlock Holmes until my downloads complete, and then I go back to my usual ignorant self. Or if I finish before they complete, I'll take the plastic off those Lord Of the Rings books. I've been meaning to look at the original text forever. And I have to read that Dune series before the books completely rot on my shelf.

Bah, I've got a lot of backlog. I ought to learn to read faster.
Something Edible

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading the Communist Manifesto, by Karl Marx and Frederick Engels. I've read it a few years ago, but I don't remember much about it.
Shabadoo

56688 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished up with the Essence of Ninjutsu by Masaaki Hatsumi and am currentley reading Secrets from the Ninja Granmaster also by Masaaki Hatsumi.
Ryusanji

The Crimson Flames of Highland

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently reading this old bunch of books I found int he attic...Nobody in my family has any idea where the heck they came from, and they aren't even that old. It's freaky. It's the Xanth series by Piers Anthony... It'as a neat little fantasy series...very ummm...unique would be the best word -_-.

Other then that, I'm re-reading the Slayers and Vampire Hunter D novels.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I finally got the order of Bandits of the Marsh. After waiting forever for shipping. I'm about 10 pages into the first book, and I"m already hooked. ^^

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've finished most of the books said I was reading before, save Diary and Catcher in the Rye, which despite loving both books, I have not yet completed them.

Between this post and the last I also read two essays/stories that were turned into books with insane margins and text in order to take up space. They were...

God Bless Dr. Kevorkian by Kurt Vonnegut
On Bull**** by Professor Harry Frankfort

I've also picked up several new titles in which I'm about a third of the way thru in all of them.

Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren (School)
Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare

I'll start The Great Gatsby for English soon, but generally, I'm reading Shakespeare as I work on the computer. It's an interesting habbit due to his complete works being completely online.

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. It's quite fascinating; those Nazis were quite the interesting (and messed up) characters. The book, however, is so amazingly long. I'm on page ninety out of eleven hundred after three days of reading; I usually read much faster than that, but these pages are so long and the print so small. I have a feeling I'll owe the library a lot of late fees for this one. :wink:
MrMan

Secret Agent Men

180000 Potch
0 Soldiers
341000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

right now Im reading Eldest by christopher paolini. Its the continuation of Eragon, and its actually quite good
Mukumuku

The Flying Squirrel Batallion of Tinto

10000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished Cather in the Rye and I can honestly say that it is the best book ever.(Burn in heck Harry Pothead) Am currently reading "a painted house" and am not loving it so far....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: