Suikoden United and Illusional Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Anime Conventions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drummsta

Cheesier Monsters!

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Anime Conventions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just went to my first ani-con yesterday and today. It was pretty fun. I felt a little out of place because so many people cosplayed and I didn't. Looks like fun ^^.

Anyway I just wanted to know how many of you have been to one and if you think they're worth going to. Also anything convention related like stories and such (have you cosplayed before?). I really don't know much about them.

I got some good deals on manga and stuff. And some of the cosplay was really amazing! Popular cosplays were: Gaara, Yuna, Vash and Kakeshi (sp?).

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cosplaying is actually fun. Especially group shots and people treating you like a celebratity. Though to each their own as well. I love taking pictures of them.
*tries to look for the Jillia Blight cosplayer*
Anyway, there will be an anime convention coming to Vancouver.
I hope to see some suikoden cosplayers as well. :wink:

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was invited to go to a convention in Toronto in the summer by my friend. Don't think I'll cosplay b/c I'm shy when it comes to attention, plus I don't know if my facial features would work with any characters. Fuu Hououji or Rene from Suikoden IV would be perfect, except my hair isn't as long as theirs.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd love to go to an anime convention in my lifetime. Being out here on the east coast in freaking Canada gaurantees that you have no shot of going to something like that. le sigh. I don't know if I'd cosplay or not. Most pictures from anime cons just make me laugh. I don't know how some of those people dress up and still retain their integrity. But I suppose it's the same as Halloween....sort of. If I were to ever cosplay, I'd go as someone normal...not like someone in a long red trench, or waving a tin foil (or whatever) sword around :P Yeah, I think giggling at the costumes would kill me if I ever went.

It's amazing what some people do with their get up do, and the time and effort they put into them. I cannot sew for the life of me. But I imagine it would be really fun getting everything together and creating an image.
Killey

The Riders Of Quan

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to one in January, I can't wait. It's gonna be so much fun! ^_^
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i don't know if i could go to a anime convention. i'm already a closet anime fan as it is and... going to a convention would be a big step. as far as cosplayers, i guess its ok, but only certain people should cosplay. why? Man-Faye. eww..................... :roll:

Cheesier Monsters!

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So true. There were a lot of really really fat people in tight costumes. It was really gross. I'm not bashing fat people...but honestly...blech...

Some people really looked great and some were funny too. For example, someone dressed up as tofu. I'm definetly cosplaying next time! Oh and another thing, I went to the J-pop dance party afterwards and I saw some of the worst dancers I've ever seen in my life. And some girl hit me in the face while "dancing" so I have a bruise on my nose.

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea i also don't see myself ever going to an anime convention. Not that there is anything wrong with going to one, but that is just not my style. I can just imagine what one of my friends back home would say if i were to mention anything about going to one. Hell they probably wouldn't even know what anime was much less know that there are conventions for them.

I can remember one day when i went to suncoast to go buy an anime. This girl i was talking to asked what i was going to buy there and when i told her that i was going to get an anime dvd she couldn't stop laughing. I was surprised she even knew what was at first, then when she did she said she could have never pictured me watching anime. I have had similar experiences at other points in my life which is one of the reasons i try to stay out of the public eye in my anime dealings.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Barbarosa Rugner wrote:
I can remember one day when i went to suncoast to go buy an anime. This girl i was talking to asked what i was going to buy there and when i told her that i was going to get an anime dvd she couldn't stop laughing. I was surprised she even knew what was at first, then when she did she said she could have never pictured me watching anime. I have had similar experiences at other points in my life which is one of the reasons i try to stay out of the public eye in my anime dealings.

yeah, you sound like me when i buy anything anime or manga related. sometimes it feels like i need to wear a trenchcoat and sunglasses or something just to buy shonen jump. That's why i get all my anime needs online.

Rising Storm

16559 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never found a reason to be embarrassed by buying any anime or manga related items- as far as I know, the (very) few stores that stock them here always enjoy some very brisk business (that is, if the merchandise is reasonably priced) as there are many people who actually want to purchase them. There's nothing to be embarrassed about- if you like something, you have no reason to be embarrassed about it.

Back to the topic, I have been to altogether 3 anime cons, and am probably going to do the same this year. As for the matter of cosplay, I've made up my mind to join the FMA cosplay group this year and go as Riza Hawkeye. Next year, I'm aiming to cosplay Lena. That is, if I have sufficient resources to do so. :D

Besides, cosplayers aren't all that scary- sure, some are really bad, but when you see a good one (like the J-rocker cosplayers), it simply blows you away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
I'd love to go to an anime convention in my lifetime. Being out here on the east coast in freaking Canada gaurantees that you have no shot of going to something like that. le sigh. I don't know if I'd cosplay or not. Most pictures from anime cons just make me laugh. I don't know how some of those people dress up and still retain their integrity. But I suppose it's the same as Halloween....sort of. If I were to ever cosplay, I'd go as someone normal...not like someone in a long red trench, or waving a tin foil (or whatever) sword around :P Yeah, I think giggling at the costumes would kill me if I ever went.

It's amazing what some people do with their get up do, and the time and effort they put into them. I cannot sew for the life of me. But I imagine it would be really fun getting everything together and creating an image.

What province and location are you in Canada? There is a convention happening in Alberta, Toronto, and even Winnipeg.

Quote:
yeah, you sound like me when i buy anything anime or manga related. sometimes it feels like i need to wear a trenchcoat and sunglasses or something just to buy shonen jump. That's why i get all my anime needs online.

This depends on where you are the people you hang out with I suppose. A lot Asians I know aren't really into anime that much, but they don't really have a problem with it either. They enjoy cosplaying, and are really good at it. Since there a large Asian community here, buying anime isn't really that strange. It's the same as buying videogames and so forth. It was strange back in the 90s since no one really knew about anime and made the assumption it was for kids. Now however, there are conventions booming and people taking an interest to it. You'll still get people looking at you strangely in a western store, and people who aren't into anime, but from what I've seen, there isn't really a problem buying anime.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I recently went to the AE convention in Canada and I had such an enjoyable time. I was really glad that my digital camera was fully charged when I went there because I took over sixty pictures of cosplayers. There were some really good cosplayers, especially the Jrockers. Just...wow. *__* I bought some anime goodies, a calander, and a few mangas, including the Suikoden manga Vol. 4. I felt so lucky that I found volume 4 because I have been missing Vol. 4 and Vol. 5 in my Suikoden manga collection for a while. ( I used to have volumes 1-3, then 6-8. ^___^; ) Unfortunately, they didn't have Volume 5 so I'll have to find that in another store.

This year, I cosplayed as a Gothic Lolita. I'm planning to cosplay MisaMisa from Death Note next year, but only if I'm able to find the all the necessary supplies I need. There were a lot of Naruto and Inuyasha cosplayers this year. I only went to two conventions altogether and I remember being very hyperactive when I went to the first one. I bought two big box full of mangas (like Initial D, Spiral, Shaman King, etc. ), doujinshis, and Japanese magazines. For someone who doesn't usually exercise on a regular basis, man, those boxes were extremely heavy. x____x
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to one in November, AC-Cubed, in Ottawa (Like the only convention in Ottawa all year >.<). This'll be my first convention. I'm not cosplaying,a nd I don't see myself ever doing it. Is anyone here going to AC-Cubed?
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

CNAnime goes down this Friday, I think, in T. Goin' there for the three days with some pals of mine, and I'm actually very much not looking forward too it. I don't even friggin' like anime. I'm just going to get access to the comic stuff. Dreamwave is probably going to be there again, and I want to finish my DMC collection, plus there are a handful of amateurs there who are usually decent (although often crappy). As for cosplayers? I throw things at them.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Jinners

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was actually away for however long from this site *because* of an anime convention. It was at SFU and called 'Anime Evolution 2005'. I didnt eat, it hurt to walk. but i stalked the nash cosplayer, the 'phone' (flame) champion. And glomped the star ocean 3 cosplayers and screamed at MG solid snake whenever i saw him. I got so many suikoden things...and got into bleach, as, i was missing out on it (that and *everyone* cosplayed bleach----it was scary...), so i was lucky enough to find volume 1-6 (the suikoden volumes were...like sold out...). But i was happy~

It was my second con and there was much to do x3 I totally reccomend anyone thats an anime/game fan to go to one in their lifetime. (i lived in the video game room...3 hours of dead or alive 2 killed me~~)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: