Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Born singer or become singer: The boy bands versus the soul
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Born singer or become singer: The boy bands versus the soul Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I thought of starting this topic after an argument that started over at the 10 things about me you don't know thread between me and Acheron88, I thought why keep it to our selves and ask your opinions about it.

So what do you think of made bands of manufactured music and singers who are born singers like Elvis Priestley some would say?

Do you like the state of the pop industry these days and all those computer manipulated voices to get the note just right and s***, or do you think that we need true voices out here that come from the soul and not artists by comity.

For me singing comes from the inside the soul, now before wild beasts ravage me since I have said in the past that there is no soul let me show you what I mean.

Natural, I mean when I sang as I kid for the first time I didn't know about all that stuff of having your tone a certain way and whatever, and I just clicked people were like "Oh Arenegeth you have a good voice" and "what the heck that kid sings good" I wasn't a part in a choir or anything I just felt those songs and people liked hearing me to sing, what difference does it make if a few notes were off, we are not instruments we are people, so the "soul" is the adaptation the passion that comes from with in us usually due to genetic reason or just happen at a genetic level, that thing that others in other places call talent that natural immediacy to a certain thing.

Also let me continue my argument here.

Quote:

Pavarotti is a 40 year veteran opera singer. Where as he was gifted with the potential to have a great vioce he didn't sit on his ass and let it happen.

No but are you saying that he was worked the way he was he was made and had nothing more than potential?

Quote:

He took the initiative to join several choirs(One of which is the Gioachino Rossini in Wales). He also had two different, well respected vocal instructors in his youth. So yes, Pavarotti did have to do all that. Pavarotti had to do more like travel to another country to join a choir. Pavarotti also worked with some of the biggest names in Opera so naturally one can infer that he learned things from them and taught things to them as well. Maybe I should restate to be exclusive to classical singers.

Other than the instructors the rest are nothing more than experience, I remember hearing his father saying that "when I heard that boy sing I knew he was going to be famous" so he was natural alright the rest just showed the proper selling way.

Quote:

And plenty of people sing from the heart and sound crappy. Just look at William Hung.

Eh, sorry but I have no idea who that is but the point of singing from the heart is not to sound crappy point a song of this chap to me.

Quote:

Just because you can sing along to all the notes on a song doesn't make you a "good singer".

No what makes you a good singer is what affect you have on those who listen and not how you sing the song, if you manage to move the person you're there.

Quote:

Maybe it means that to your peers but "good singers" read music, interpret the meaning of the text and present it with dynamics and musical inflections to convey the meaning of the piece.

Those aren't singers those are technical machines a singer doesn't need all that it comes natural you can't make your self a true singer no matter what.

Quote:

I'd bet money that you, Arenegeth, couldn't do this.

How much? (Damn where's a microphone when you need it)

Though that is irrelevant to the essence you see the human ear doesn't care if a note is 0.1 of a key off they care if what they hear sound good.

Quote:

I mean I'm sure your voice sounds pretty but I'm also pretty sure that since you've never learned anything about using your diaphragm, dropping your soft palet, using proper singers diction, and having good breath support. Reading music for an instrument and reading it for singers is completely different.

It isn't so much as how it sounds but how it moves, I can't sing any song I just can't I have to like it to feel it otherwise I will be doing all the things that I don't know that you describe above I will not be a singer but a radio.

Quote:

And now we're getting away from the point of this thread. If you have another reason or counter point PM me.

I did something better and made a thread about opening the discussion and this interesting topic to other people plus adding the market repercussions of what you are saying.

So people what do you think about that is it another Backstreet boys or Maria Callas for you?
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You seem to be under the impression that manufactured bands are made up of people solely for their looks. Or that if they are in a group, then they don't know how to sing.

Wellll...the Backstreet Boys were manufactured if I remember correctly. The Spice Girls were. Perfect example of boy and girl band. They all knew how to sing, regardless of the way they first met or not. True, many "bands" are put together just to make money, but many of them can still take it back to the basics- the music.

About your soul thing...eh I have to admit I did not get a word of that. Soul and genetics? Erm...

Quote:
Eh, sorry but I have no idea who that is but the point of singing from the heart is not to sound crappy point a song of this chap to me

That's not what is meant by that statement. Lots of people sing from the heart and they still sound awful, without meaning to. Take my mother for example. Or better yet, let's not.

William Hung is a guy who tried out for a televised music competition and he was really, really bad. He went on to make his own single, or CD I think, and people only regard him as a spoof.

Quote:
No what makes you a good singer is what affect you have on those who listen and not how you sing the song, if you manage to move the person you're there.

This is wrong. The word singer isn't subjective. You either sing or you don't. The way people react to it has nothing to do with it. Some people can tune into someone's voice and really enjoy it, others don't. If I sing in the privacy of my own home and practice by myself without letting anyone hear me, well my lack of audience doesn't disprove whether I have a good voice or not.

Quote:
Those aren't singers those are technical machines a singer doesn't need all that it comes natural you can't make your self a true singer no matter what

Arenegeth, you know absolutely NOTHING about music if you're saying this :P oh god.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Wellll...the Backstreet Boys were manufactured if I remember correctly. The Spice Girls were. Perfect example of boy and girl band. They all knew how to sing, regardless of the way they first met or not. True, many "bands" are put together just to make money, but many of them can still take it back to the basics- the music.

The music is not written or made by them and don't think that what you hear is always what you get believe me, I have known some people in the technical aspect of the industry that tell me that you can do wonders with a voice through a computer this days.

Quote:

About your soul thing...eh I have to admit I did not get a word of that. Soul and genetics? Erm...

Soul is a metaphor, genetics come in two kinds, the ones you inherent and the ones that are made while your DNA structure is formed that has nothing to do with inheritance.

Quote:

That's not what is meant by that statement. Lots of people sing from the heart and they still sound awful, without meaning to. Take my mother for example. Or better yet, let's not.

William Hung is a guy who tried out for a televised music competition and he was really, really bad. He went on to make his own single, or CD I think, and people only regard him as a spoof.

I think you miss what heart means to me at least is not if you like a song and that's it is when you perform it when you become one with it.

Quote:

This is wrong. The word singer isn't subjective. You either sing or you don't. The way people react to it has nothing to do with it. Some people can tune into someone's voice and really enjoy it, others don't. If I sing in the privacy of my own home and practice by myself without letting anyone hear me, well my lack of audience doesn't disprove whether I have a good voice or not.

You don't understand singing is singing if you sing awful people wouldn't like it no matter what, how about the bards in the past they gathered the crowds and gave performances what about them they were natural weren't they.

Quote:

Arenegeth, you know absolutely NOTHING about music if you're saying this oh god.

Perhaps all this time is you who don't, so are you saying by that then that your mother that you describe as having a bad voice judging from the comment before can become the next Celin Dion?

Or are you clutched within the realms of vanity and every kid and its dog dream of being the next best thing eh?

St. Ajora I'm starting to think you argue with me for the sake of arguing, or is it because you like me, you know what they say opposites attract. :D
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

See the point where you lost your validity was when you said you knew what a good singer was and then gave me, for one, the impression that you have no experience as a concert singer. That kind of makes you sound like a anorexic food critic. Firstly, there is a difference between a singer who is classically trained and who is just publicized.

It's just like if someone is born with the natural tendency to build muscle better than someone else. Just because they can doesn't mean it necessarily happens. Either way they have to work out to build muscle, it's just that to one results are more evident, more quickly. Basically, singing is a something that comes easier to some than others but everyone can do it if they practice enough. So for you, Arenegeth, maybe singing and getting compliments for it comes easily. But you lack the vocal experience to be able to satisfy the tastes of people that are actually into singing. After you go to competetion where they judge you on things like blend, clarity, diction, posture, attidtude/stage presense, choice of music, and overall entertaining value please come back and tell me that singing well is just something that happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

See the point where you lost your validity was when you said you knew what a good singer was and then gave me, for one, the impression that you have no experience as a concert singer.

Eh, I don't I never claimed I did, a concert singer is not better than a folk singer now is there that sings in social gatherings without microphones but just a voice.

Quote:

That kind of makes you sound like a anorexic food critic. Firstly, there is a difference between a singer who is classically trained and who is just publicized.

A singer is a singer when you become a singer then all you are doing is eluding your self and no one will remember you for your voice, when you are born however is where all that counts and since when music has become concert and nothing else?

Quote:

It's just like if someone is born with the natural tendency to build muscle better than someone else. Just because they can doesn't mean it necessarily happens. Either way they have to work out to build muscle, it's just that to one results are more evident, more quickly.

Exactly all it takes is to sing follow a few guide lines and that's it how do you think folk songs got carried over through the centuries?

Through note books?

No it was through voice what I'm trying to say here I hope I see someone post in this thread without the "I want to be Britney Spears/Enrique Iglesias syndrome that I haven't seen a kid without yet.

Quote:

Basically, singing is a something that comes easier to some than others but everyone can do it if they practice enough.

That is what people say to them for the reason above, oh how TV has shaped the youth of these last generations.

Quote:

So for you, Arenegeth, maybe singing and getting compliments for it comes easily. But you lack the vocal experience to be able to satisfy the tastes of people that are actually into singing.

Singing is an art not a profession, you vocally create not submit.

Quote:

After you go to competetion where they judge you on things like blend, clarity, diction, posture, attidtude/stage presense, choice of music, and overall entertaining value please come back and tell me that singing well is just something that happens.

If I lose to the judges I will win to the audience and imagine if I ever tried to do all that stuff you are talking about, just to "sell" my self better.

Especially the posture part up there, I mean man I had an offer from a local agent which greatly surprised me because of my rough looks that I immediately without second thought denied much to my peers disbelief because I'm not a society mad singer I'm like a bird natural or I forget birds take voice lessons too.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The music is not written or made by them and don't think that what you hear is always what you get believe me, I have known some people in the technical aspect of the industry that tell me that you can do wonders with a voice through a computer this days

I'm well aware of technology these days, and groups like the Backstreet Boys have not relied heavily on enhances. Hell, all you have to do is see them singing live in a mall or something and you'll know that hey, they're pretty good. Music like Madonna's recent stuff is FULL of voice enhancers and distorters...that's pretty obvious. But picking on celebrities that have remained more or less true to their voice isn't right...you're targetting the wrong people.

Quote:
The music is not written or made by them and don't think that what you hear is always what you get believe me, I have known some people in the technical aspect of the industry that tell me that you can do wonders with a voice through a computer this days

What does that have to do with whether they can sing or not? If I remember correctly, you said music had nothing to do with reading notes from a scale.

Quote:
Soul is a metaphor, genetics come in two kinds, the ones you inherent and the ones that are made while your DNA structure is formed that has nothing to do with inheritance

This doesn't sound very steady or believable...

Quote:
You don't understand singing is singing if you sing awful people wouldn't like it no matter what, how about the bards in the past they gathered the crowds and gave performances what about them they were natural weren't they

What? This has nothing to do with what I said. I know what singing is, and the size of an audience doesn't determine whether you can sing or not.

Quote:
Perhaps all this time is you who don't, so are you saying by that then that your mother that you describe as having a bad voice judging from the comment before can become the next Celin Dion?

Or are you clutched within the realms of vanity and every kid and its dog dream of being the next best thing eh?

Yes I'm "clutched within the realms of vanity" because I know what I'm talking about? This isn't a very complex topic- you seem to think that going off into wild, deep tangents that you'll prove a point to someone else.

Quote:
St. Ajora I'm starting to think you argue with me for the sake of arguing, or is it because you like me, you know what they say opposites attract.

Yeah let's be best pals :P Truth is, Arenegeth, you're the only one posting discussiong topics these days. You bring excitement to my life! But of course, when this arguements get silly and heated, I'm going to stop posting here, I promise I wont get TOO bad.

Last edited by St. Ajora on Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arenegeth wrote:
Singing is an art not a profession, you vocally create not submit.

Wrong, it is a profession. What makes a profession is unions and insurance - singers, (particularly those who sing in musicals) the good ones anyway, have both of those. Opera singers have their own union and insurance to go with it, thus it is a profession. One can be an artist for a living even if one does not paint - acting, painting, writing, drawing and singing are a profession like anything else and need to be respected as such.

As far as this whole "born with it or not" debate goes, singing can be an aquired skill, oddly enough. I know quite a few people who have been only mediocre or even crappy then gotten leagues better by working with their voice with someone who actually knows what they're talking about. While I'm not possitive that everyone could do it, most people can. Some simply choose not to and some deny the ability or work, like myself.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm well aware of technology these days, and groups like the Backstreet Boys have not relied heavily on enhances. Hell, all you have to do is see them singing live in a mall or something and you'll know that hey, they're pretty good. Music like Madonna's recent stuff is FULL of voice enhancers and distorters...that's pretty obvious. But picking on celebrities that have remained more or less true to their voice isn't right...you're targetting the wrong people.

No wait my targets for manufactured pop is the ones you mentioned, Spice Girls the Backstreet Boy's, Westlife those who are literally formed to fill a market and not an artist singing songs.

Quote:

What does that have to do with whether they can sing or not? If I remember correctly, you said music had nothing to do with reading notes from a scale.

Yes the point was the creativity involved as a singer if I was famous or to a point I wouldn't let other people write music for me.

Quote:

This doesn't sound very steady or believable...

Well perhaps I have my genetics wrong I will look into it later and let you know more details since its been a while since I studied genetics.

Quote:

What? This has nothing to do with what I said. I know what singing is, and the size of an audience doesn't determine whether you can sing or not.

We agree on that part then.

Quote:

Yes I'm "clutched within the realms of vanity" because I know what I'm talking about? This isn't a very complex topic- you seem to think that going off into wild, deep tangents that you'll prove a point to someone else.

So then did you want to become a singer as a kid?

Do you still want to?

And why do you think shows such as Pop Idol are so popular?

Quote:

Yeah let's be best pals Truth is, Arenegeth, you're the only one posting discussiong topics these days. You bring excitement to my life! But of course, when this arguements get silly and heated, I'm going to stop posting here, I promise I wont get TOO bad.

Oh well I promise not to get too hot for you.

Quote:

Wrong, it is a profession. What makes a profession is unions and insurance - singers, (particularly those who sing in musicals) the good ones anyway, have both of those. Opera singers have their own union and insurance to go with it, thus it is a profession. One can be an artist for a living even if one does not paint - acting, painting, writing, drawing and singing are a profession like anything else and need to be respected as such.

Here is where the difference lies, It is made to a profession like so many things, it is not meant to be you are all clouded by how thing MTV and record albums make it seem, this is music this is singing I'm talking about here not some form of commercial version the human race has created.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arenegeth, the biggest problem that I see with most (if not all) of your posts is that you always think so extreme and full of exaggeration. Like in this case, it's either the "natural" singers or the "computer manipulated" singers. You easily generalize that current pop industry is full of computer manipulated singers as if no one can sing anymore. That's wrong, and you know it.

The question becomes, why can't the "natural" singers be manipulated by computers as well? As you mentioned yourself, as humans, they will make mistakes when singing. And they will sing some songs off keys. So why not use the technology to "correct" the mistakes so that it'd result in better end-product?

Would you prefer to listen to a natural singer's CD where you noticed 3 off-keys in a 3 minute song all the time? You'd be like "Crap if only those keys were not off, it would've sounded much better."

The thing is, computers are used to improve the quality, not to create the voice. If computers are used as extremely as you say, then why bother signing a singer? Just use computer and put it on a supermodel's face.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Arenegeth, the biggest problem that I see with most (if not all) of your posts is that you always think so extreme and full of exaggeration. Like in this case, it's either the "natural" singers or the "computer manipulated" singers. You easily generalize that current pop industry is full of computer manipulated singers as if no one can sing anymore. That's wrong, and you know it.

The biggest problem is that I give the impression of extremism that you are talking about, because I completely agree with what you say is certainly not all.

Quote:

The thing is, computers are used to improve the quality, not to create the voice. If computers are used as extremely as you say, then why bother signing a singer? Just use computer and put it on a supermodel's face.

When did I say it was done extremely, it is done to a great degree yes to even improve the quality of voice but of course most "products" are hand picked after audition and audition so of course they have some voice, that were probably working on since the beginning of their life.

Quote:

Would you prefer to listen to a natural singer's CD where you noticed 3 off-keys in a 3 minute song all the time? You'd be like "Crap if only those keys were not off, it would've sounded much better."

They could sing the song again and again, if you really know a song is hard to get it wrong frequently but that is besides the point, yes some times voice is manipulated to a point that the singer has aid in the whole song but in other cases you see another singer on the cover and the video's and another on the studio since they look for a pretty face they found it but he/she hasn't got the best voice, on with a less good looking better voiced to take recording burden.

But I think you missed my point I'm not extreme about anything I'm sorry it seems that way.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a topic very close to my heart. I think one of the biggest problems with this discussion so far is the confusion of "singer" with "performer." Singing is a specialized skill, and performing is very different. If I pick up a sword and poke it at someone does that make me a fencer? No, it makes me a guy poking a sword at someone. It's the same with singing. People in theatre say it all the time: "I can sing, but I'm not a SINGER." There are people who are both singers and performers, mind you.

I have a lot of experience in both singing and performing. In the 20 years I have been singing I have performed in choirs, musical theatre, rock concerts, etc. I have worked with some of the best technical singers out there and some of the best showmen out there. I have worked with people who have sung for preseidents and prime ministers and even the Pope. Although I have taken lessons here and there, I have never taken voice lessons regularly. I have, however taken many workshops and seminar classes and have worked with people who have been studying all their lives. You manage to pick up a few things doing that.

Anyone can sing. Singing is just the vibration of vocal cords. Technical singing is much different. If you tell a child to sing, they will not immediately do it "the right way." Singing takes a lot of training. Otherwise you get people like Michael Bolton who just scream on pitch and blow their voices out after short careers. Singing correctly is very hard. It requires great muscle conditioning and concentration. It requires complete control over the muscles in your face, throat, neck, chest and abdomen. You cannot sing correctly if you are out of shape. You can yell on pitch and call it singing, but you can't sing correctly. Most of the people out there on the charts these days do just that: yell on pitch. They have a great sense of pitch, so people confuse it with singing since its on-key. They're not even singing, let alone worthy to be called "singers."

Using the aforementioned example, the Backstreet Boys are singers. They have technical know-how on the craft of singing and (for the most part) have been trained. The Spice Girls are not singers. One of them (Posh) doesn't even sing by herself if you watch their videos. They are performers. They are charismatic and can "sell" a humber, but it's not singing. They were chosen for style, not substance. Image, not ability. There has to be some talent and some natural tone quality there, but that was secondary to appearance and dance moves.

Quote:
singers who are born singers like Elvis Priestley

Elvis was a performer, too. He had a unique quality and a great showmanship, but very little vocal aptitude.

Being a "singer" by itself is not all that great either. Showmanship is needed, too. The best technical singer in the world can be boring, and the most poorly sung number can be entertaining. You need to have both to be great.

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goody! Another topic in which Arenegeth tries to give off the impression that he's better than us!

Okay, you're arguments have been darting about like crazy, I don't even know what you're trying to prove anymore, so I'll just address what's been mentioned so far.

Natural singers versus... whatever the argument is. Okay, I think everyone has to be born with at least a shred of talent that needs to be developed to dabble in a particular proffesion or art form. I mean, for all I know, I'm potentially the world's greatest... I dunno, surgeon. If I invested in developing this talent, I would eventually come to be the best surgeon on Earth. Goody. Problem is, I have no intention of becoming a surgeon, so I'm not going to develop my natural talents. As such, even though I'm potentially the best surgeon to ever live, any schmoe surgeon right now could surgery circles around me because they've developed their talents, and I haven't.

It's the same with singing. People are born with various levels of inherent talent, and depending on how much you practice and develop your talent, the better you will be at singing. So two people can have the same potential, but the one who practices more will be better. Similarly, someone with less potential can become a better singer than someone with greater potential by practicing more. Singing is a skill just like any other- there is a certain amount of natural ability to credit, but a lot of it is simple, nose-to-the-grindstone practice.

Man versus machine! Does using a computer to correct your voice make you a talentless hack? I don't know. I guess the easy answer is "it means you are a bad singer". Or at least, not as good as someone else. You can't hit the right notes? It means you aren't as good as someone who can, pretty much end of story. However, there are more important aspects than simple talent to being a succesful singer. Some people can sing flawlessly but have grating singing voices, while in contrast, some people can't sing properly but have glorious singing voices. Singers that use machines and programs to correct their voices are probably riding on the success of the sound of their voice (or the attractiveness of their bodies :P), rather than the quality of their singing.

And then of course, there's a certain "style" aspect to being a succesful singer.

Style versus substance. I think of Nirvana when I address this issue. Not particularly talented as musicians, Kobain's not a tremendous singer, but the style (well, anti-style) of the group catapulted them to success. In this way, traditionally speaking, Nirvana is a "bad" band, but their message and their image appealed to young, strung out types who felt like the world had, well, "somethinged" them over.

So based strictly on the argument at hand, being a bad singer still ultimately means you're a bad singer, but being a bad singer doesn't neccesarily mean you will be an unsuccesful or unpopular singer.

Profit versus spirit. If a band sings for profit, does that mean they are less "real" than someone singing from unbridled artistic integrity? I suppose, yeah. Less "real" because they were assembled by a record company to make money. Traded like a good, you know? But the same thing can be said of movies. Most movies are a commodity made by studios for profit, artistic integrity be damned. Non-Hollywood and art films are the minority. But does that mean everything to come from Hollywood, manufactured though it may be, is defaultly bad? Okay, bad example for the mosy part, but some truly great films have come straight out of Hollywood. Great films made for profit by studios. Manufactured groups aren't bad by nature, even if they often come out hackneyed. Like Ajora said, Backstreet Boys may be a cobbled together cash-grab, but they do have some sort of singing talent.

Similarly, as mentioned, singing from your heart doesn't mean you'll be better, even if it means you have more artistic merit. Sure, "real" singers are arguably of a higher calibre, but this isn't just defaultly true.

Stomach versus Heart. It's a song by Barenaked Ladies, from "Born on a Pirate Ship".

Alien Versus Predator. I haven't seen it, but I liked the Alien films, so I might check it out. I was supposed to see it with my friend, actually, but that fell through. I didn't even really want to see it with him, actually, I just said I did to humour him.

Godzilla Versus King Kong. What? King Kong has electric powers now? Come on! They made that up!!

Scorpion versus Sub-Zero. FIGHT!!!

Anyway, I've kind of lost my point. Go about your businesses! Leave the crazy man alone!!

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Krawnik wrote:

Scorpion versus Sub-Zero. FIGHT!!!

Anyway, I've kind of lost my point. Go about your businesses! Leave the crazy man alone!!

Fight my behind, its obvious that da man is scorpion yo! xD

Well in order not to repeat so much what everyone elses says I'll add some nice facts :o :

Bono couldn't sing when U2 started, he could hardly vocalize and he had a very "poor" voice, of course with effort he ended up perfecting his art. I think that some people are gifted with natural charisma, a way of being, or simply a tad of creativity and luck that no one else had xD wich allows them to succed.

Of course, you can learn to sing, but a technical singer generally won't stand out (or thanks to other attributes such as popularity and the media they may indeed!) but a creative person may perfect his/her technique in the long run.

To sum up, some people just have the "spark" within them and some not, whereas you prefer one kind or the other is purely a matter of taste because many talented persons are ignored and many others that suck are not.

Quote:

St. Ajora I'm starting to think you argue with me for the sake of arguing, or is it because you like me, you know what they say opposites attract.

Yeah let's be best pals Razz Truth is, Arenegeth, you're the only one posting discussiong topics these days. You bring excitement to my life! But of course, when this arguements get silly and heated, I'm going to stop posting here, I promise I wont get TOO bad.

Ignoring the Latin heat over here Ash, uh? Psché... you'll regret it girl xDD
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So basically in sumation of what I've percieved to stated, there is a distinction between a performer and a singer. There is also a distinction between a singer and a techincally trained singer. Basically, someone with a naturally "good voice" (and Yea, I caught that Bono "poor voice" pun) can only have that voice temporarily because they don't know how to use it correctly. Fact. So when an aspiring singer takes the initiative to learn how to sing properly, thus taking the gift they had and refines it, they become a technical singer. So, I ask you, how is being a technical singer and being a good singer not the same thing? I know quite a few people who had pretty bad voices and then took voice lessons and ended up with careers in vocal music. One ended up with a range from second soprano to first bass.

The original argument was that being a good singer is a gift and not something you have to put work into. So, no that is not true. A good singer is a singer who knows what they are doing. If you knew anything about singing you would also know that reading notes off a page doesn't make you a good singer either. You have to have feeling behind what you sing just like a Violinist has to have feeling behind what they play. There is an obvious difference in a fiddle and violin by the way they're played and the feeling behind the way it's played. You can play a violin fast ut with the mentality of a dirge or requiem you won't have the proper sound when playing the notes of a song like "Bile' dem Cabbage Down".

"Being a good singer is a gift and not something you have to put work into". The fact that someone tells you that you're a good singer doesn't mean its true. Often times your the best singer in the world to someone but thats when your singing right next to 4 people who can't keep the right key signature and have are bumbling over every other word. Maybe the person who told you that thinks that you have low self-esteem or something.

Quote:

Ignoring the Latin heat over here Ash, uh? Psché... you'll regret it girl xDD

My nickname in Tinto is Ash(Acheron, Asheron and its shorter for write-ups) and that statement had me very VERY frightened the first time I read through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, the difference between violin and fiddle is very subtle: a violin has a 'chin rest'- a plastic piece used to place one's chin upon the violin for 'proper form'. The fiddle has no chin rest. The strings and everything else is the same fundamentally, so I believe that's the only difference between the two, I can't recall the discussion that we had at one point during my 8 years of orchestra (I played violin)

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: