Suikoden Unique and Irrational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rate the Tekken Characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Rate the Tekken Characters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the spirit of the Dynasty Warriors thread on rating all the characters, i thought that we could rate on the Tekken Characters. This is for all the Tekken series, from 1 to 5, including the Tag Tournament.

Jin

Movelist:

I will be referring to the Traditional Karate Jin from 4 and 5, not from 3, since it's pretty much Kazuya. Jin has more well-roundness with his moves. He has an equal share of punches and kicks to pull off, unlike Hwoarang that specializes in kicks, or Steve that pulls off punches about 95% of the time. He has also some good defensive moves, but needs practice with timing.

Strategy:

I think that he's good playing close or far away. i tend to stay a bit back and let him pull off those strong punches like the Square, down move. I also like pulling off the Kazama Stlye 5 hit combo = Square,X,Triangle,Square,Circle. To attack low, i tend to use the down+X,X move. I just play a bit of variety with that.

Style: Jin tend to look cool always. The Flame design on the pant sleeves equals cool. 8-)

Overall Pros: Has little weaknesses in offensive, defensive, close range, far range or grappling attacks.

Overall Cons: May not be everyone's cup of tea. My brother had been very frustrated using him. It's probably the worst character to use for him. But i can use him fine. ^_^

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

Ling Xiaoyu

Movelist:

She tends to have tons of moves in all of the Tekken games she has been in. She has lots of stances, like the Phoenix wing thingy = down+trianlge+Square, or that Snake Charmer/Hypnotist stance = back+triangle+square. Her moves are meant to be comboed. Her 10-hit combo is probably to the most powerful there out of all the playable characters.

Strategy: I play her more defensively. She is weak in attacking, and she needs to pull off comboes to have to pull off effective damage. one punch, or one kick will simply not do. You have to be able to pull off a chain of moves for her to be useful. Unlike most characters, time is one of Xiaoyu's allies.

Style: In Tekken 3, she looked pretty annoying, and kind of chubby. After the slick and sexy graphics in Tekken 4, she looked much better in the tracksuit and in the school outfit. And she also looks good in 5, with her tracksuit and silk Chinese outfit.

Overall Pros: Combo damage. Tons of moves. Cute girl.

Overall Cons: Weak attacks. Must pull off comboes to be effective. Not that fast.

Rating: 9/10

I'll put up some more later on. If you would like to argue with some of my opinion along with your own, feel free to do so. :wink:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which Tekken are you going by? I know you say all of them, but there's such a huge difference between them that I don't think it's really possible. (For example, Kazuya Mishima is one of the best characters in Tekken 2, Tekken 1, and Tekken Tag. On the other hand, he's mid-tier at best in Tekken 4 and 5. Lei is a good character in Tekken 2 but probably the third or fourth worst character in Tekken 5.)

For the record, I'm basing all my ratings on Tekken 5 and a 10 point scale.

Steve Fox

In Tekken 5 (most recent, I think), it's fairly obvious that Steve is the absolute best fighter. His flicker stance alone puts him there. Add in his great 121 mixups, his superb wall game (an ability to juggle his opponents to the wall from almost anywhere on a stage, and then hit and hit hard, ala 1,2,1~b,(flicker stance)1,1,1,2. Steve Fox is the very epitome of a high reward/low risk game. No one else competes.

Pros: Insanely high tiered character for a reason. High reward/low risk. Wall games are unmatched. Kind of cool.

Cons: Lack of low hitting moves. Not as flexible in strategy as some other characters are. Lame outfits.

Overall Rating: 9.9

Bryan Fury

One of the best characters in the game, but, like Jin in Tekken 4, don't expect it to stay that way. Bryan has always been a good, solid choice, but what makes him truly great in Tekken 5 is a few busted moves: b+1, a moving forward mid hit that gives +3 frames on block; if you're unlucky enough to get hit by it, you can kiss about half your life bar goodbye. His d/b+3 is one of the lowest risk/highest reward moves in the game; it hits low but it packs a high crush. But best of all is one of his easiest juggles once he splats his opponent against a wall - 1,2,1, d/f+3. A true killer, but probably not a long-term success: will probably be toned down in the next version of the game, as Kazuya was from Tekken 4 to TTT, and as Jin was from Tekken 4 to Tekken 5.

Pros: Easy to use moves that are easy to abuse. Strong game. Powerful. Fairly good fashion choices for a walking corpse. His is an evil laugh.

Cons: Rather well regarded as cheap. Is likely to be fixed in the next version of the game so Bryan players may find themselves in the same predicament Jin players found themselves in Tekken 5. Storyline has always been kind of middling. Walking corpse, so probably smells.

Overall rating: 8.5

Asuka Kazama:

Pretty much Jun with a younger face, as the average Tekken fan probably wouldn't like playing with a deceased (and possibly decapitated) middle aged mother. Like Jun, she has a strong game with her speed, power, and confusion tactics. And, unfortunately, like Jun, her game isn't that versatile, and there are faster, more powerful, and more confusing characters than her. Solid mid-tier.

Pros: Good at mixing things up. Relatively speedy. Fairly strong. Good mix-up game. Cool outfits.

Cons: Other characters are better than her in most of the things she excels at. Once you know the main attacks most people use with her, is supremely easy to block. Few good juggles. Creepy but funny, somewhat incestuous ending.

Overall: 6.5

Jin Kazama

In Tekken 4, there was no better character. Now he's back, and ...extremely powered down. Once the top of the list, Jin is now worse than either his father or his grandfather. It isn't that he's bad, exactly - it's just that others do it better, a common malaise in fighting games. Has few weaknesses...but also few outstanding strengths. Strong all around, but not much of a standout, this time around.

Pros: Good both close and far, and fairly strong at both offense and defense. Great pedigree. Fairly good looking if a little bit girly. The only Mishima character who isn't trapped in the family mold. (i.e., a Kazuya player can't adjust to playing Jin as quickly as they could to, say, Heihachi.)

Cons: Is not the best at anything, and has few exemplary moves. Angsts. Stuck in continuing downward spiral of bad costuming decisions. Isn't as good as the more conventional Mishimas. Isn't as good as demon version of self. Demon version of self has pants. Is in everything, and with 2 versions of him in game, VERY, VERY easy to get sick of.

Overall Rating: 8.0

Kuma/Panda

Is a bear. A very, very large bear who is surprisingly always one of the worst characters in the game despite the fact he can and does chew other contestants. Let's face it, Kuma's primarily appeal is being able to brag about beating your friends with a gigantic bear.

Pros: Is very large bear. Has funny endings, usually. Is bear.

Cons: Slow. Needs a better movelist. Not versatile. Is bear.

Overall rating:: 2.5

Heihachi Mishima

He'll leave the Tekken tournament when you pull that invitation out of his cold, dead hands. Heihachi haters might have hoped the tagline of Tekken 5 was true, but unfortunately for them, Heihachi is back and ...pretty much the same, but with much, much better taste in outfits. Heihachi is, as always and like all other Mishimas, a solid choice, with a good game. Great power, slightly on the slower side of average speed, and a good movelist keep him pretty solid, and he is arguably the best Mishima in the game. However, he's still nowhere near as good as Steve or Nina.

Pros: Strong. Solid movelist. Good juggler. Remarkably good body for his age. Hilarious ending. Good fashion sense in Tekken 5, though that Tiger gi must be getting awful smelly by now. Cannot be killed, storyline wise.

Cons: Not much variety. Mishima characters are popular, so many people know how to get around Heihachi's most versatile weapons. Slower than average. Tiger Gi no doubt reaks to high heaven after over 20 years of use. SPEEDO. SAMURAI UNDERPANTS.

Overall Rating: 8.0

Kazuya Mishima:

The one time king of the ring is ...surprisingly tame in this version of the game. Perhaps it's his age catching up with him, but Kazuya is no where near as good a choice as he used to be around TTT. (To be fair, most of this isn't his fault. He was neutered in Tekken 4, and the Tekken 5 version is actually an improvement.) But he's still plenty good, and a solid choice. He has a positively devastating stun game, and only a novice lets a Kazuya player get close to them and duck, for his WR moves are pretty brutal. His spinning demon may be an oldie, but never the less, it's still a great, fast hitting move and one a lot of people won't block right away.

Pros: Great at stunning other players. Solid juggler. Very powerful. Average speed. Fairly good looking. Solid costumes. Smoking jacket. Has a talent for producing great offspring (Jin, possibly Steve?). CANNOT DIE, or if dead, CAN BE RESURRECTED. SURVIVED VOLCANO (...kind of). Has demon version of self which manifests sans pants.

Cons: Limited game. Limited movelist. Mishima fighter, ergo popular, and therefore his best moves are well known. Not very fast. Looks fading with age. Still trying to kick the Devil Possession habit and not having much luck with it.

Overall Rating: 8.1

Christie Montiero/Eddy Montiero (??? Forgot if he shares her last name...?)

Unfairly regarded as a cheap character, Christie Montiero is a surprisingly solid character. She's no Steve or Nina, or probably even a Mishima, but she can hold her own. She has a great mix-up of high and low attacks, and an absolutely mean offensive game....but almost no defensive game of which to speak. Because she is a somewhat unorthodox choice, a good Christie player can often gain an advantage out of other player's unfamiliarity with her repertoire (for a good Christie plays very differently from a bad one). Fairly decent at confusion games, though not as good as Ling. One of the better "show off" characters in the game, which my explain why so many new players choose her. (Of course, the ripe melons she strapped to her breasts many be another factor...)

Pros: Good offensive game. Great at mixing things up and confusing other players. Stylish. Showboat. Unique.

Cons: Other players are better at both her games. Has no defensive maneuvers to speak of and her juggling is pretty weak. Fanservicey to the extreme. Voice actress makes Sophitia voice actress from Soul Edge sound good.

Overall Rating: 6.5

Feng Wei

Not really my cup of tea, but I cannot deny he's good. His soldier ram is one of the most punishing moves in the game. Good attack, good defense, decent speed...He's a solid all around choice, and while he isn't quite as good as Nina, Steve, and Bryan, he's really, really close.

Pros: Solid in just about every respect. Probably more that I'm not familiar with.

Cons: Boring design. Confusing story. Repetitious story - Baek called, he wants his storyline back.

Overall rating: 8.5

Nina Williams

Let it not be said that Nina doesn't hold a close candle to her kiddo. She's an excellent fighter on her own, with probably the best ground game out of all the characters. Add in almost perfect poking tools, great juggling capabilities, and a mean shoe game (you know what I mean. :D) and you have arguably the first or second best character in the game.

Pros: Very versatile. Great ground game. Good juggling abilities. d/f+1,2 (hits mid, gives advantage on block, is bloody hard to get out of, and best of all, very fast.) Cool outfits.

Cons: Has sucky spin-off game. Needs to get a life - has been in tournament how many years now? Gratuitous fanservice.

Overall rating: 9.8

Lei Wulong

A sad case of a once-useful character outliving his usefulness. It's hard to believe that Lei was one fo the best characters in TTT when you look at his Tekken 5 sad-sack form. Lei has almost nothing going for him. Nothing. Even his best move, the Razor's Edge...sucks. It's a good thing Lei can lay down and take a beating, because that's pretty much all he can do here. Oh, he's better than Kuma, but by no measure does that mean he's good.

Pros: Is fairly cool looking. Probably the only character you can make jokes about going to work drunk with. Was a decent cop. Pretty.

Cons: ...Just about everything else. Not fast, not powerful, and doesn't have the skills to keep up. Is no longer very good cop, as ending illustrates. May, in fact, drown his tears over his suckdom in the drinky drinky giving my not-so-clever bon mot above a tragic end.

Overall Rating: 4.6

...My hand hurts. X_X I'll do the others later if I can find the time.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well since I really disliked Tekken 4 and for that reason I haven't bought Tekken 5 yet I will try to rate based on Tag unless mentioned otherwise.

Kazuya Mishima:

I never really used any other character in Tekken 1 and Tekken 2 and I was furious that they removed him in Tekken 3, in Tag however he was there to shine, I don't remember the names of the moves but he does it like no one else especially in style and that's part of what I'm looking for, he got a bit tiring after a while but unless I mess with one of King's never ending grabs I could beat the crap out of everybody.

Pros: He is the devil you don't really need more than that though that doesn't show that much on Tag he is basically tailored as one of the best characters and in other words the Ryu of Tekken.

Cons: He gets bothersome after a while and he is very predictable to human opponents but if they beat you up in game you can always do the same in real life...

Dr. Boskonovich

Yes you read that right I'm talking about the Tekken 3 version more than Tag since I barely used him there (I'm not even 100% sure he was on the Tag version my memory says he was but my memory maybe wrong) and I never lost a match with him against a human opponent yet and since I forgot all his moves now and I'm not playing Tekken 3 or Tekken Tag again I never will, he is the most unpredictable fighters ever, and uber unpopular and that causes him to really kick a** once you really master him, though he is hard to master and despite what everyone says once you do you are flying away or rather rolling on the floor, he is the only character in the game as far as I know that has a one-hit KO move, though slow all you really want with that move is timing, you have to manipulate the rest of his moves very masterfully and you opponent will keep on trying to kick you in the nuts.

Pros: He is one of the most unpredictable fighters in a fighting game ever, an old man rolling on the floor.

Cons: He is very hard to master, an old man rolling on the floor.

King:

I'm not sure if I used him like this in 3, tag or 2 but he was the cheat scapegoat, you could start a grab combo with him that literally never ended and that caused people who didn't know the game to be impressed but is just really a cheating monkey so I only used him for a while always avoided him after that.

Pros: A never ending grab combo that could drive your human opponents mad with rage.

Cons: A never ending grab combo that could drive your human opponents mad with rage.

Well I won't add anyone else now not until I remember any of the old or if I get Tekken 5, I played Tekken 4 for like a day so I won't add anyone from that.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophitia wrote:
Which Tekken are you going by? I know you say all of them, but there's such a huge difference between them that I don't think it's really possible. (For example, Kazuya Mishima is one of the best characters in Tekken 2, Tekken 1, and Tekken Tag. On the other hand, he's mid-tier at best in Tekken 4 and 5. Lei is a good character in Tekken 2 but probably the third or fourth worst character in Tekken 5.)

Yeah, just give comments on the development of the characters throughout the series, like the examples you gave. And then give your rating on the latest Tekken you played, just in case some people haven't played 5 yet.

Julia

Movelist:
I wasn't so keen on nature girl in Tekken 3, so i can't give any comments on that one. I felt that she wasn't that exciting to play in 4. But she get alot better in 5. She has the punch combo square,triangle,square+triangle, which was pretty good. And the down + square + Circle works well also. I was able to beat Jimpachi pretty well with her.

Strategy:
She is more of a fist fighter, but her Bow and Arrow moves are good as well, since it seems to be her signature move. I feel that she is better played at close range, and she also has the X+Circle evasion move, like Xiaoyu.

Style:
She is okay. She is more modest in the way she dresses, even in comparison to Xiaoyu or Asuka, but she's still hot. Her moves look more square, instead of fluid, but she's still an effective fighter, at least in my opinion.

Overall Pros: Strong moves. Has a juggling combo.

Overall Cons: Looks/style is a bit boring.

Rating: She's starting to become one of my favorite characters, so i will give her a 8.5/10, which i am sure is more than what anyone else will give her.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is Steve really Top-tier now? I'm not the most hardcore fan of Tekken 5, but I always figured that Nina topped Steve in the listings. This is why I started to use Steve and not Nina. Top tier people usually aren't fun to play with, unless they're super cheesy to the point where you have to use them. *cough Blanka CVS2 cough*

As mentioned by Sophita, he has a bunch of good mix-ups, but most of them hit high. He's got a lot of fake movements which cancel to other moves and that blasted Flicker are just horrible on big time opponents. I like Steve's d+2~1. At least it's a low attack. But by far my favorite moves for Steve is his juggles.

b+1,flk1, f+2,1~b,flk 1~b, 3+4 abl 2. There was another one, but I forget. Also, it took me a while to figure out how to get into the flicker stance. You have to hold back for it to work.

When I play Steve, I usually do well against Nina. But when I use Devil Jin, Asuka, or anyone else against her, she just kills them with pokes. I think I can counter them with King (after all, you can't poke when you're being grabbed) but reversals have become too easy to pull off. That and I can't do his throw combos for the life of me.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad, I'm not really an expert on Tekken 5 (the last Tekken I played really, really indepth with was Tekken 2, and left the series a while after that and just started to get back into it fairly recently), but I would say there is a minimal difference between Steve and Nina on the tier charts. I've seen some which rank her first, some which rank him so, and a lot which contradict each other.

I placed Steve over Nina because in the latest version of the game in arcades, I've been hearing some of Nina's skills got toned down fairly severly, so I gave the one decimal point difference in favor of Steve.

Personally, I play Christie, Julia, Ling, Asuka/Jun, Anna, Lee, Heihachi, and Kazuya, who are pretty much my favorite characters in the series. If I'm not interested in them, though, I don't bother much. (As can be rampantly seen in my Feng Wei rating. heh.)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh I use Feng extensively because of the fact that his style of fighting is exactly the same as Fei Ku and Negi Springfield from Negima. Feng's Chinese arts are more refined than the other two (who focus on many different Chinese styles) because he perfected his art. That's the closest I ever got to a comparison in a fighting game, so I had to use him. I'm not disappointed at all, but I'm still learning.

I do like to use Asuka too, but because I play a lot of Nina, Steve, and Bryan players, I either get outsped by Steve and Nina or outpowered by Bryan. People at school are horribly cheesy like that. They got upset that I beat them in Smash Brothers, I guess. In fact, I also have a little trouble with a King player from school that just won't let me hit my launcher. It's very frustrating when he's able to keep doing those throw combinations. I don't do King's combos very well, so it's hard to reverse the throws.

Baek Do San is also another character I like to use. He's a welcome addition for Tekken 2 players. He was my favorite character back then and he retained a lot of his mix ups, and cancels. He's not as good as others, but when you can fake someone out with any attack, then you have a chance. His Diagonal up-forward 4 launcher is quick and leaves people open for a 1~2 1~2 3+4 juggle. It doesn't hurt much but he's fun to watch. He's extremely fast if you can time his cancels. I'm still having a very hard time pulling them off, though.

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Eddy Montiero (??? Forgot if he shares her last name...?)

Unless I am mistaken, Eddy's last name has always been Gordo. I may be incorrect with the spelling, but I do know that he was once (Tekken 3) called Eddy Gordo.

On a side note, I always hated Eddy and Christie, because I hated their fighting style: Capoeira. It was far too wierd for me to defend against, and I always wound up losing against my friend who, as it comes to no suprise, loves playing with them. Also, I hated Voldo from the Soul Calibur games too, because of his wierd fighting style, and lose to him frequently too. :/ I need to work on beating down fighters that play wierd...

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What you hate, people love. Capoeira usually hits low or middle, but rarely high.

I read up a but in Capoeira. I might be wrong at this though: It was originally a dance/martial arts, these two things tend to be both e.g. Pencak Silat, from West Africa. It was brought by the slaves brought to South America. They further developed it to defend themselves against their masters who were beating them or such. Because they would usually have their hands chained, Capoeira uses legs and headbutts. Nowadays, it's part of dance and a great way to lose the fat in your body and get fit!

Steve

Movelist:
I have yet to try Steve from 5 yet. But i liked him in four. He was pretty fast and strong. I can't remember the commands, but he was still a great fighter. It was also goo to annoy my opponents with the evasions. :twisted: He is one of my brother's most hated characters, since i beat him so bad with Steve. :twisted: :twisted:

Strategy:
For him, i tend to be a button masher when going on the offensive. :P And i tend to go on the offensive alot. I don't trust the X and Circle buttons much and just block attacks instead.

Style:
I think he looked better in 4 then he did in 5. in 4, his boxer shorts (i.e. Shorts that boxers wear :lol: , not boxershorts) were longer, and looked more, well snazzy. In 5, those shorts got shorter. But it's a small matter, anyways.

Overall Pros: Great Offense. Evasion mechanisms to annoy to opponent.

Overall Cons: Scary to fight against.

Rating: 9/10
He is IMO a very efficient fighter.

Yoshimitsu

Movelist:
He is the master of unorthodox fighting. In 5, he has the new Manji Dragonfly move (if it was in the previous Tekkens, i had never seen anyone use it), which was very cool, even if it is kind of silly. More on my brother, this is one of his favorite characters, if not his favorite. He has the knack to use him, and was able to beat Jimpachi on his first try with this character. He hits low or high, but rarely in the middle, or so i find. But i'm not entirely used to his fighting style and stances, to be honest. But i can still kick butt with him. One of our (i.e. my brother's and mine) favorite moves is the Kamikaze. It's funny...

Strategy:
I just start off with Kamikaze! I think that it is his strongest move, and i think that it's alright to abuse it. And i don't believe in abusing moves. For variety's sake, i would use that juggle-launcher move thingy, forgot the name and command, and then whack! in the air. The Manji Dragonfly is fun to use and should be used at least one in the Round.

Style:
Oh man, this guy is the Zoolander out of the Tekken bunch. He looked even more creepy in 5 then he did in the previous Tekkens. I personally liked his outfits in Teekn 4 and in Soul Calibur. But i liked his samurai look in 5.

Overall Pros: Style. Manji Dragonfly. Indian Stance (when he's sitting down)

Overall Cons: Creep-factor. Strange to fight with.

Rating: 8/10

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: