Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise

Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you ever get a chance to try caviar, then by all means take it. It looks disgusting (a mass of little black sturgeon eggs) and it's ridiculously expensive, but it tastes amazing. I had it once when someone took me and my family out to this really expensive restaurant, and I'll probably never have the luxury of eating it again.

I've had shark fin soup before, and it was pretty good. It tastes more like meat than like fish though, but I guess that depends on the species of shark.

Squid, small octopus, anything with tentacles is good, I think. I like crab too, but my family used to buy live ones and boil them alive. That was more than a little disturbing...

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I too live in a fishing wonderland, except I'm on the western coast of Canada. Don't you love our bountiful natural resources, St. Ajora? Coast to coast, and great fish on both sides

Not to mention the moosemeat ;)

Quote:
Anyway I advice anyone to start eating a bit more fish but watch out for those bones...

Funny that you should mention that, since the haddock fillets are supposed to be boneless but my mom picked out 10 bones in one fillet! That is so disgusting, I can't imagine choking on an icky fishbone.

Quote:
My favorite hands down by a huge margin is tilapia. I suppose it's the only exception to the "no soup with fish" rule, though I much much prefer it fried, batter or no. My brother hates it, which makes me like it even more. Salmon's a very close second, but tilapia's just heaven. At least for me

Hmm, second mentioning of tilapia. Must be goooood.

Quote:
Salmon: Another good choice. Make sure, if you want to take advantage of the health factor in the Omega 3 fatty acids to NOT buy Atlantic Salmon, because it's farm raised and doesn't have the Omega 3.

I had no idea that there was a difference...damn. My mom is always telling me about the omega 3 in salmon, so I feel good (read: not guilty) when I eat it, but I guess I'm going to have to check at the supermarket. I bet it's Atlantic :\ But the kind I eat is smoked anyway..I'm sure that makes a huge difference too.

Quote:
I've had shark fin soup before, and it was pretty good. It tastes more like meat than like fish though, but I guess that depends on the species of shark

Sounds good to me. I don't want it to taste *too* foreign for me...and it'll help ease me off of the meat.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your stories guys, and your suggestions. Today I just went to a grocery store so there wasn't a huge selection, but I did get...TILAPIA because of it being mentioned three times- it has to be good if ya'll spoke up about it. Now I need to track down some squid and go to a real seafood market and try out other new things. I'm thinking of buying something new each week instead of splurging and wasting money if I don't end up liking it...so what should my next choice be?

And *how* should one cook tilapia? I think some of you mentioned it...I'm a girl who can burn water so I'm hoping it isn't too difficult to fry *twiddles thumbs* You CAN fry it right? Or grill it? If I fried it without batter I wouldn't know what to cook it in/with...hmm.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Every time I buy tilapia, there's usually a deep fryer nearby where the workers fry it. That's the only way I know how to prepare it. I have heard people say that they cut it up into fillets, but really, it's such a small fish. How big can those fillets be? Good luck preparing it. Since I've only seen it deep fried, it must be pretty hard to fry it. (Although I don't cook very well, so I wouldn't know too much)

Regarding squid, I don't remember ever buying it for myself. Usually I just go to a restaurant and order it on the table. That too is deep fried, but since it's much smaller than tilapia, you can deep fry it yourself. Calamari is more of an appetizer than an actual main dish, but I have seen it served either way. Remember the vinegar!

Is caviar really that good, Samwise? When it comes to food, I get picky about what it looks like, so I've never bothered to try caviar. But next time it's offered to me, and then I'll give it a go.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You said that in your first post that you didn't like smoked salmon. Well, i like salmon, smoked or otherwise. But if Salmon isn't something you would like... Hope you don't object to tuna.

I have had squid. I like it. It's chewy and stringy, so hopefully you don't hate stringy or chewy food. :wink:

Red snappers are good as well.

Living in Australia, having fish is not a problem. There are Fish and Chips store on every block. I might be exaggerating though. It might be in one out of every two blocks. :roll:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samwise

Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Is caviar really that good, Samwise? When it comes to food, I get picky about what it looks like, so I've never bothered to try caviar. But next time it's offered to me, and then I'll give it a go.

Well, I guess you either love the taste or hate it. It's fishy-tasting and has a very fatty consistency, kind of like butter. Very exotic-tasting. I think there's different types of caviar depending on which kind of sturgeon it came from, but I have no idea which type the one I had was.

And yes, it looks very very gross (it makes me think of a disease :shock: ). I guess if you're constantly thinking of its appearance while you're eating it, it probably won't taste very good. :) I think it's usually served as a topping or a side dish (I had it with some kind of biscuit). Well worth a taste, I think. Even if you hate it, at least you've tried something different. ^^
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you got to watch out for some ocean fish that are higer on the food chain, they contain higher amounts of Mecury. also some fish like some Cod and the "Chillan Sea Bass" are being over fished.

there is also guilt to be had, lots of seals and Cetacean species die not just in nets but just killed "because they take the fish", farm raised salmon face the same as cattle, fish are feed fish parts and there is over crouding. Farm rasied cat fish tastes great...but do you really want to know where they live/eat? let alone natually, the're scavangers like the lobster. thats why the're tasty...no corn feed snooze fests here. Tilpa is a mild fish, farm rased a lot.

it depends on what you are looking for...some shoping marets have a little book thing so you can reserch fish. some fish are firm fleshed some flaky, Monkfish is firm, flounder not, don't grill a flounder, but girll a shark! oOh and sharks, some i hear "urinate" through their skin so they are inedible. anway happy fish eating.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
And *how* should one cook tilapia? I think some of you mentioned it...I'm a girl who can burn water so I'm hoping it isn't too difficult to fry *twiddles thumbs* You CAN fry it right? Or grill it? If I fried it without batter I wouldn't know what to cook it in/with...hmm.

I can cook it, so it's undoubtedly easy to cook. You can fry and grill it. I would prefer the former though. You can put batter if you want, though I have not tried it with batter ever. I think sweet and sour sauce would work well too if you plan on frying it without batter. My father cooks a mean sweet and sour tilapia. You can also cook it with coconut milk, although I don't really know how to do that and neither does my mother. Our neighbor occassionally shares it with us when she cooks too much. It's not bad, but I prefer it just plain fried. And now I'm hungry for tilapia again. I hope we have it for dinner tonight.
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Broiling it works well too. And it's a healthy alternative to frying.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahhh yes the Western Coast of Canada, my home where I have come to enjoy the many styles of making fish here. I mean we have had salmon at one time or another coming out the wazzoo, so I have plenty to choose from when it comes to various fish dishes. However I have never really brought myself to like sushi for some reason, probably considering the fact that it makes me gag. I am not quite sure why, but it just never seems to sit in my stoumach very well. However, maybe it just takes a bit of time to get used to it and I will try it again some time. However now is not such a time.

I would say more about dishes, but frankly it's 3am, and the last thing I need is to want to eat now.

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love sushi so much, funny to think my favorite way of eating fish is to eat it raw. A couple nights ago a friend and I went to the local sushi restaurant, where I ordered 18 pieces of sushi, but my friend ordered 26! When the waitress delivered his order, the massive order of sushi came on a large wooden boat instead of a plate. His wallet ended up hurting him more than the meal on his stomach - he paid 45 dollars for one meal! The only negative part of sushi would have to be the price.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I have heard that at times, sushi can be incredibly expensive, which already is one of the things I dont like about Sushi. Aside from of course the fact that it tends to make me sick to my stoumach whenever I try to sit down, and eat it. I actually think that forty some dollars for a dinner of that sort might even be considered on the cheap side. Odd as that sounds, it could very well be true, however I cant really say for sure either way. I have never wanted to really eat that much sushi. Did your friend, at the very least enjoy his entire 45 dollar meal? If he did, then it was at the very least pretty well worth the cost of it, if he hadnt then he truly wasted $45.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree. Ordering a lot of sushi but having to pay only $45 in the end sounds pretty cheap. Sushi is one of my favourites and when me and friends go out to eat in a local Japanese restaurant, we often tend to tip over $45 quite easily. When we split the bill fairly, I usually spend $15 - 25. The highest I ever paid for Japanese food was around $40 and dude, that was only for my share! >__< (thankfully, that only happened once. =__= )

I never had a disliking for fish. Maybe because I've always eaten it ever since I was a kid and taking it as part of a daily meal. ^__^; Also, I was taught that fish is not only good for diet, but also it's good for healthy looking skin. So I keep eating fish just for the sake of that, hahaha! :D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Squid, small octopus, anything with tentacles is good, I think. I like crab too, but my family used to buy live ones and boil them alive. That was more than a little disturbing...

... I like octupus XD especially with chili paste. Squid's hard to chew though.

I like my fish... fishy as hell. The fishier, the better. That's why I like salmon. And then I dip it in Worcestershire and lemon XD

Quote:
If you ever get a chance to try caviar, then by all means take it. It looks disgusting (a mass of little black sturgeon eggs) and it's ridiculously expensive, but it tastes amazing.

The only fish eggs I've ever tried are the orange ones on California rolls, and salmon roe. The orange are kind of sweet, and salmon roe just tastes like liquid fish (kind of repulsive, strangely), but if caviar's a happy medium between the two, I'll consider it.

Quote:
I love sushi so much, funny to think my favorite way of eating fish is to eat it raw. A couple nights ago a friend and I went to the local sushi restaurant, where I ordered 18 pieces of sushi, but my friend ordered 26! When the waitress delivered his order, the massive order of sushi came on a large wooden boat instead of a plate. His wallet ended up hurting him more than the meal on his stomach - he paid 45 dollars for one meal! The only negative part of sushi would have to be the price.

I'm not as surprised about the price as I am the amount of food... 26 pieces?! :shock: Wow... I can't even eat half that much before I'm full.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

he paid 45 dollars for one meal!

OK let me get that through the currency converter.........

That is 24 British quid (my preferred European currency if you haven't noticed yet, not that I have a big choice that is), which isn't that much but still considerable as long as you do that once in a while and not every week it is fine, hehe it would be nice if you got to keep that wooden boat.

Quote:

Funny that you should mention that, since the haddock fillets are supposed to be boneless but my mom picked out 10 bones in one fillet! That is so disgusting, I can't imagine choking on an icky fishbone.

There are people who don't manage to pick them however, like in a banquet or whatever it was when I was a kid, a guy was galloping up some fish (I don't remember the kind) and got a fish bone a big one stuck at the back of his throat,
and cough and cough, he coughed his lungs off, the local peasants instead of telling him to go to a Doctor or something they were telling him to eat bread, and that by eating it the bone would have been caught on the bread and go down with it.

So after that he was galloping bread, my ***** parents were worried and I was laughing, eventually and after eating what seemed like a whole loaf, someone with little more intelligent than the rest (probably the village idiot or whatever that place was) told them to finally get him to a Doctor lived nearby, I don't know what happened after that and how they got it out, but the next say we heard that the bone was apparently very big and that it left a hole in his throat, I'm guessing that it didn't stop his oxygen supply or something so it wasn't too big but I don't believe (I did back then now that I think about it I don't) what those fools were saying anyway.

Well I got a small one in my throat once and my parents started with the bread again, so after some of that since nothing happened I stuck my finger in my throat and pulled out, I was very close to vomiting doing that but I didn't fortunately.

So you see be VERY mindful of fish bones.
Lady Chris

Zexen

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ah i love fish...i in fact love to go fishing...

you should eat catfish!^^

Mondrosen
Games Fanarts and Drawings of Suikoden, Final Fantasy, etc! visit please (^^)v
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: