Suikoden United and Informational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The "Star Trek" Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: The "Star Trek" Thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't doubt that this forum probably has countless Star Trek fans, so I don't see why a discussion on the subject would be amiss; especially considering the recent thread about the loss of James Doohan.

I was just watching Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, next to First Conact easily one of the best Star Trek films. Has a few mildly interesting cameos like Christian Slater. I think the uniforms they use in these films are the best ones they've ever had in Star Trek too. When you're watching it, you actually feel like you're watching a quality film, not just an extended Star Trek episode. (Insurrection for example) Bones is golden as usual. The Klingons are so classy and intellectual in it too, I miss that.

On another note, I was pretty disappointed that Star Trek: Enterprise wasn't getting the viewing figures it deserved. I was enjoying it more than I was enjoying the majority of Voyager or Deep Space Nine episodes. Some of the characters were far more interesting than the likes of Mr. Charisma Harry Kim or the Retro Rebel Tom Paris.

Don't get me wrong though, I liked a lot of Deep Space Nine, there was just a lot of weird stuff and a lot of stuff that bored me. Voyager was dull for about three straight series. The Next Generation was either average or above average for me at most times, there were lots of great characters. (and a few stinkers like Wesley Crusher, Doctor Polaski etc.) The classic Star Trek is good for a laugh and actually has some pretty solid episodes, but in this day and age its hard to take seriously.

I've been to a few conventions in my time, but it has been many years since. We only got them about once a year in the UK, and they were never really all that special compared to those in the US. The best I met was probably Q (John DeLanci). I got sick of seeing Richard Arnold.

So where and who are the rest of the Star Trek fans?

Edit: Prize goes to Filipe for pointing out my deliberate mistake in calling the Undiscovered Country IV instead of VI. *cough* ;)

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."

Last edited by Agahnim on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The best movies in my opinion were IV the voyage home, VI the undiscovered country, and First Contact. However not in that order, First Contact for me was the best.

As far as the series, I agree with you on Harry Kim and Tom Paris, talk about snoozers. I always hoped they would die like the infamous "red shirt guys" in the original.

It was a little disappointing that Enterprise was cancelled. I think it had potential to be great, it just never was. I stopped watching it when the series seemed to shift from exploring and discovery to, battle battle kill kill save the world. That is alright sometimes but if I want to see that all the time I'll watch Star Wars instead.

Voyager was dull the only time I actually started to really get interested is when Seven of Nine was brought onto the show. Jeri Ryan is so....*cough*.

Deep Space Nine I really enjoyed. I loved pretty much every character and the series became even better when Worf joined the crew. Deep Space Nine allowed fans to see and learn more about races the previously were not as fleshed out. (Ferengi, Trills, Cardassian, Bajorans, Etc.)

Next Generation was my favorite, I still watch it whenever I catch it on SpikeTV. I agree with your views on the original though, it's good for a laugh but hard to take serious today especially when they are supposed to be so far in the future and they still use 70's style computers with the big buttons and switches, and the clothes....lets just say if that is the fashion of the future the world is in trouble.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was going to make mention of the problem with the movie number that Ganon Dun used for Undiscovered Country, skipping two films all together. However that is alright considering that sometimes I even forget how many star trek films there have been. Though aside from, the Wrath of Kahn, Undiscovered Country, the films prior to be based on the Next Generation series were lacking.

As far as the films go, while I liked Undiscovered Country, I have not been too much of a fan of First Contact. It was a decent movie, but it just never really hit home with me as that great of a movie. I did enjoy the most recent one, as it seemed to be played off well in my opinion, regardless of the fact they killed a character off. Oh well things could have been worse, and they could still be milking that series for films. However, word is they are making another film which may or may not be for the Deep Space Nine series. I happen to like that series more than the others.

It has more characters, better storylines, and everything that happens generally from one episode into the next is somewhat connected. Overall, Quark is probably my favorite character considering he is evil, but not all that evil anyway. Thats just my opinion though. It's also funny that the guy that plays the youngest ferengi is actually the second oldest member of the cast behind Odo in real life. However dont hold me to that information, thats just what I have heard. Might have only been a rumor anyway.

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All I have to say is that I once served James "Scotty" Doohan a bowl of clam chowder and a fish and chips basket.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All you Deep Space Nine fans look at my username :wink: .

I am a big fan of pretty much all the series, excluding the first though, didn't really like that one. Deep Space Nine (if I wake up in time) and The Next Generation are my two favorite of all the series', which I still watch on Spike TV every weekday. Deep Space being my second favorite had the best characters, Weyoun (the man of 7) being my favorite, of course. I also liked when Worf came and the arival of the Defient (my most favorite of the ships).

I liked pretty much all the movies excluding the very first one. I only saw it once and didn't like it at all. I own the first three TNG movies on DVD and I liked them all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weyoun wrote:
All you Deep Space Nine fans look at my username

Y'know, it was bothering me. I knew I heard that name before, but it didn't dawn on me until now where it came from.

Anyway, my favorite series is TNG. The original was fairly funny sometimes and was ok considering it was made in the 60s. DS9 had some interesting characters, but I didn't like most of the story. Voyager was ugh. The only thing I liked about half of it was the fact they were lost and I wanted to see them not make it. Happy endings get old. :( I kinda liked Enterprise, but didn't see much of it.

I liked all the movies to varying degrees. I watched the latest movie, but I can't remember a single thing about it. It's like I spaced out during the whole movie. Anyway, I'll agree that the first movie was a little different. Among them, I'd have to say IV is my favorite just because it was sorta a comedy, although VI and First Contact are good as well.

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Deep Space Nine is easily my favorite of any Star Trek series. For one, it's much darker, not nearly as optimistic as the other ones, which adds a lot to the depth of the characters. Also, I like how the majority of the episodes center around the station, since even though most people don't like the fact that the main location of the show is stationary, I think it makes it better. I also like the contrast between the federation and non-federation characters, and the carry-overs from The Next Generation.

So far I have the first two seasons of DS9 on DVD. I plan to eventually collect the whole series, but it's gonna cost me a fortune.

Oh, and Weyoun was one of the Vorta, right?
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Marshmallow wrote:
Oh, and Weyoun was one of the Vorta, right?

Yep.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Weyoun was probably one of my favorite characters in the entire Star Trek series of shows. He just came off so easily, as both somewhat understanding of other people, but also had an almost sadistic nature to him. Dont get me wrong, he doesnt rank as high as Quark with his own style, and Odo who was just so cool, but he is definately in the top 5. For those of you who are wondering Weyoun actually ranks number four on my top five for Deep Space Nine behind Warf, but ahead of the warrior guys. You know the ones that fought for the changelings directly, whose names i dont recall right this moment anyway. It's funny, Warf ranks in my top five in both of the series that we was a part of, but ranked number 3 in both.

Anyways, am I the only one that hopes they decide to make the next few Star Trek movies about Deep Space Nine? Perhaps even baseing them loosely on the books that were made based on the series. That would make it interesting, and there is a lot they could do with that. Maybe even go along the lines of a seperate series making all the DS9 movies connected in some way leading to a finale of some sort? Thats just an idea though.

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Filipe wrote:
For those of you who are wondering Weyoun actually ranks number four on my top five for Deep Space Nine behind Warf, but ahead of the warrior guys. You know the ones that fought for the changelings directly, whose names i dont recall right this moment

That would be the Jem'Hadar :wink:

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*Runs in* ST:TNG IS THE BEST!!! HUZZAH! *Attempts to run out, but instead hits the wall. Knocking herself unconcious*

Seriously, though, it rather sucks that you can only get the box sets for TNG online (mom won't let me use her credit card) or at Hastings (they prolly cost an arm and a leg). The other box sets are rather abundant.

Yes, I know that Picard should not have been captain after the Borg incident, but still!!

I've been a Trekkie since I can remember.

//EDIT
Just wanted to give you some of my opinions:
1. Wes is hot (I'm gonna name my kid Wesley because of him, Wes on Angel, and Wes on The Princess Bride... I'm such a dork).
2. I really thought Guinan was cool.
//END EDIT

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad to see that there are a lot of Weyoun fans here. But are you a fan of me or the Vorta named Weyoun? :) (kidding lol).

Last edited by Weyoun on Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moreso you. Never did like the Vorta that much. They were kissups or loudmouths depending on the situation. Bark was much worse than their bite. I don't like those kind of people, um, aliens or whatever.

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey I have a fan! :D .

Anyway I liked him a lot. He always was the suckup to the founders more or less. Im glad they made clones of him seven times because he kept dieing so easily. Though I didn't like the seventh one, he was by far the worst person of them all. I am glad he died so unhonorable.

Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess I'm sort of a light Star Trek fan...I like the "Next Generation" series, mostly because Picard is the man, pure and simple. The original series was hokey and lame IMO, and the other ones either try to hard or are too boring for my tastes.

The movies aren't bad though. Especially since we received the classic line from Kirk: "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNN!!!"

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: