Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is Konami milking Suikoden?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Is Konami milking Suikoden? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was thinking S4 did'int realy show anything use full and now it seems like Rhapsodia just shows the desturction of rune cannons. Is any one else starting to think Konami is just milking the Suikoden series?

CLERKS
Siertes

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do you mean by useful? The only problem I had with S4 is that the conflict seemed rather small. It still added to the history, so that's use enough, IMO.
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It showed a history that was'int needed by S2 the Island Nations were premitive (shown by Amada). The hero could just have shown up in another game like Ted did in S4. It would get a score of 5 on it's own if not for being part of the Suikoden series, But it gave nothing to the series.

CLERKS
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pleaze explain how Amada shows the Island Nations is primitive.
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Pleaze explain how Amada shows the Island Nations is primitive.

Well his clothes and the type of boat he uses, If the Island Nations did not get held back with the desturction of rune cannons (probely got to hate other tecnologys after that) he would have a power boat. Also Shu trades little gold coins with them that makes they seem dum and intranced by shiny things

CLERKS
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zaj I mean Mike wrote:
Well his clothes and the type of boat he uses, If the Island Nations did not get held back with the desturction of rune cannons (probely got to hate other tecnologys after that) he would have a power boat. Also Shu trades little gold coins with them that makes they seem dum and intranced by shiny things

There is no evidence of this. Amada's clothing does not appear to me to be primitive. It looks like typical wear of someone from an island.

The boat Amada uses is not primitive either, in every Suikoden the same types of wooden ships with masts are used. There was only one
"power boat" and that was made by Kammondol the inventor for the Liberation army. So "power boats" are a bit of an unknown in the Suiko world.

The coin Shu had was a coin from the Island Nations, nothing more and nothing less, just because it was shiney does not make the residents of the islands dumb.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So you realy think that the Island Nations are advanced? They would eighter be behind or ahead tecnologicly.Look at amada does he just like to live retro?
But that is not the point is it me or does it look like Konami is just going try and get as much money out of this series as posbile?

CLERKS
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Were you playing the game with your eyes closed or something?
The entire Suikoden World is supposed to take place in a land similar to aincent China(Dunan reigon or Midevil Europe. (Zexen)

Steam power was just recently invented, and the primarly wat to move boats everywhere else was by either wind or oar.
For Godssake, the first video camera was invented in the Island nations, as well as Rune cannons!

Aside from that Amanda is dressed like a typical Japanese/chinese fisherman.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
zeal

The Zealots

0 Potch
400 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'm still surprised that this is open.

we're all clearn that the island nations are not primitive or dumb. They are probably a more advanced nation. elevator, rune cannons, and camera are fine examples of the technology the island nations.
much less that they can travel all the way from the island nations to duran to trade, which the trade route goes right through Kooluk territory.

sooo i ask can this please be closed that question has be answered and the evidence has be refuted.

Check out:
Car Accidents
I'm A Plus Size Model
Superslut
Rene Magritte/Surrealism
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fishermen in Japan still dress like Amada dresses. No one's ever gonna say Japan is technologically primitive though.

I also have no idea how the relative reflectivity of coins make people dumb. I believe most coins are indeed reflective, which would mean most everyone in the world are dumb (when applying this logic).
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But to answer the question, no I don't think Konami are milking Suikoden.

Many of the negative Suikoden IV comments I've heard is that the game didn't expand on the history and plot of Suikoden. It was exactly the same comments used when Suikoden III came out.

The thing is though, in these arguments people wanted Suikoden to expand on the history and plot of the first two games. So they didn't even want what they were complaining about.

Full new Suikoden games are always going to be set in a new land with new characters and a new tale. Suikoden IV gave background about the Island Nations which is a NATION in the land of Suikoden. It gave insight on their war, the Kooluk war with Scarlet Moon, another Silverberg, another True Rune, some more history of Ted, more information, if slight, on Harmonia. Rhapsodia looks set to give out even further information.

Suikoden I and II never really did give us any information. It set up questions. We know only half the True Runes and even less about the bearers. We knew only a handful of nations and some mysteries about Pesmerga, Yuber, Luc, Jeanne and Viki.

Suikoden III and IV didn't answer all these questions, apart from the "Why is Luc moody in Suikoden II" question. They're slowly expanding the plot and history of Suikoden. Perhaps the answers all lie in another land, but I'd rather have some more depth and fun with Suikoen before all the questions are answered and the games are finished.

Remember, a lot of information and such about characters and the plot of the first two games was given out through the publications in Japan. Not the games themselves. If you take the games on face value, there are few answers to questions in them.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Em okay I will try to give my input on this.

Firstly is Konami milking Suikoden. I don't even think that we have seen enough of the Suikoden world for that to happen. All of the Suikodens really focused on one part of the map.

Suikoden 1 was set in in The Scarlet Moon Empire and throughout the Gate Rune Wars you see the overall conflict that results in the formation of the Toran Republic and learn about True Runes and other places in the Suikoden World such as the City States of Jowston. It shows the death of characters and betrayal and was a success.

Suikoden 2 focused on the war between The City States of Jowston and Highland Kingdom and you were introduced to the two aspects of the Rune of the Beginning and other True runes such as the Blue Moon Rune and Beast Rune and the rivalry with Luc and Sasarai is just starting to form. As you mentioned, you learn about the Island Nations from Amada's origins and Shu's coin. Which made you want to see the Island Nations. You also learn about the Queendom of Falena which people are interested in seeing. Then you see the formation of the Dunan Republic.

Suikoden 3 focused on the war between Grassland, Zexen and Harmonia and explained more about the Sindar as hinted at from previous games. It intoduced the five elemental True Runes and talked about Dharma and Chaos and introduced the Duck and Lizard races to the series. You learn that Ace was one of Gilbert's Mercenaries and Fred and Rico and the Maximillian Knights made you think back to previous games.

In Suikoden 4 people finally get to see the Island nations that only got a mention in previous games. Though is wasn't the Island Nations at the start and you see the war with Kooluk and then the formation of the Island Nations. As always you see some returning characters to give you the feel of previous Suikodens. You learn about The Dukedom of Gaien. And this game intoduces a lot more to the Suikoden World.

All the Suikoden games have a common theme which focusses on the gathering of the 108 stars of destiny, you see returning characters and characters with a connection to previous Suikoden characters and you learn of more True runes and new places are explored and introduced. In each game we learn more about the Suikoden World, that is the way that Konami keep up guessing and that adds some of the appeal to Suikoden.

Now spin off games, if you want to call them that, like Suikogaiden and Rhapsodia are their own separate games sometimes with concurring events with the Suikodens so that you can relate to them. They introduce more of the Suikoden World and tell more of the story. The Suikogaidens introduced places like Viki's home dimension and Little Viki and Nash and Wang / Joker that then made an appearance in Suikoden 3.

There are many places still to be introduced and alot of people can't wait to see if Falena and the Southlands will be the setting for the next Suikoden. It is still unclear what the actual setting will be in Rhapsodia, although it could be all over the place. I pesonaly cannot wait to see the new Suikoden games and see what Konami has planned for us and see if new places are introduced and new items and characters to wonder about. The Suikoden Series rivals the Final Fantasy Series in my opinion and I would hope that is runs as long as the Final Fantasy games have done.
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks to a few of you for answering my main question. But still if they were as advanced as they would be by S1 they would have planes. In Rhapsodia they are going to show the destruction of the Island Nations tecnology which will put them back a few hundered years.Also to get power boats they could use water runes or wind runes, Like in S1 the Dwarfs use lighting runes for their machines.(But mabye we should make another topic for the prosperity of the Island Nations).

CLERKS
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I agree that taking the Rune Cannons out of the picture will push the Island Nations back when it comes to the realm of advanced weaponry, but this does not mean that they will falter in other advances. I believe it was a consensus that the Rune Cannons ended up doing more harm than good.

I believe this will be explained and will have something to do with the creatures that will be needed to harness that sort of power. We cannot assume that the Island Nations lack in technology because of that setback. It could be easily said that Harmonia should have planes, there should be railroads, and such things, but yet those things have not been revealed.

Again, Rune Cannons are advanced weapons not to be equated with the advancement of that particular society as a whole. There are satellites in the Suikoden World, they harness and utilize steam, and they have motion pictures and cameras. These are all seen in the Island Nations. I'd say that one setback in weapons technology did not harm their development as a whole.

We just do not know the extent of advancement that they have made over the years, just like with much of the other countries. Harmonia has clones, who knows what else they are capable of. Just because we have not seen it does not mean it doesn't exist. I would not jump to conclusions about the capabilities of the Island Nations.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well considering one man created the Rune Cannons and nobody else managed to mimic his creation in 150 years, I doubt the destruction of one particular type of weaponary would set back a nation as a whole.

There is absolutley no proof that the Island Nations would be a backwards nation after the events of Suikoden IV. Your examples of Amada being "poorly" dressed and the shiney coins have no relevance to the Island Nations state.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: