Suikoden Unique and Informational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Good RP mods?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Good RP mods? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am unsure of where to post this, but since I am asking people to give me some helpful links, then I guess it goes in the Ad forum. So here it is.

Anyway, I would like to get into the world of RP-ing, much like Suikox and FFP. But don't worry, my basic ideas don't have anything to do with their ideas, just so you know. Anyway, I am unsure of what forum I should use to begin. Invisionfree does not seem very useful when it comes to RPG hacks, and the three of them that I tried either didn't work, or just looked bad. So I don't know where to turn know. I'm looking for a reliable forum that I can use to build my RP- a forum that comes with a variety of hacks and mods (they don't have to be anything complex, as long as I can find a code for an RPG profile). Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can build my forum?
Arcana

The Engineers

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Describe "RP".

There's a lot of styles of RP and I'm not sure if you're using a board to just write stories, or to support a role-playing game in another context, like MUD/MUSH/MUCK, or if you want to make an RP forum that's like Gaia Online, or have a loose RP game like Tabula Ralsa, or to have a private game with rules and turns and stuff like that.

More information would be helpful.

In any case, if it's useful at all, SuikoX runs on phpBB and it seems that SARSadmin (judging from the FF thread on this forum) might potentially be willing to offer some of his code to help set up a similar style of forum as SuikoX. But ask him to be sure.
Vextor

Potch
Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah sure, I don't mind. However, my code is messy because it's not intended for distribution. I also can't give much support because I'm pretty busy with various things, so it'd be best if you already have some knowledge of php or something similar to php.

Various role-playing related mods are available at various sites when it comes to phpbb, but they tend to be tailored to specific types of role-playing, which is why I made my own (and the suikox one is more like a mish-mash of code that has been plugged into the default board, much like mushroom growing on a tree.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well basically all I wanted from IF was an rpg profile. You know, stat bars, victories and the like. An RPG store would be cool, but it's not really on my list of priorities since I can't scrounge up the images to make a decent one. Plus it would make things a little too complex for what I want now, and I just want to start off easy. And grow as time passes.

This is why I wouldn't ask for a lot of help though- I know nothing about php :S It seems like a hassel to switch to another forum style and try to maintain a grasp on it, when I've already started things in IF. But I don't know, I guess I could look at what php can do with simple codes- but php always seemed so...generic to me. I guess the features that I look for depend on admin coding and whatnot, and aren't offered exclusively.
Arcana

The Engineers

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're not going to be able to code a Stats module in phpBB with "simple code"... but as SARS said, there are modules that exist... plus the code he has on board here.

What's IF?
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The stats bar that I have isn't very complicated nor long...even I can get the hang of it and I only know basic html :\

IF is InvisionFree.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mean to double post, but I want people to see my next question in case they've checked the above reply and will miss an edit.

*How* do you even install phpbb?

edit: I realize that was a stupid question >> What I meant was, just getting started and openin php files. I need something to install php...?

Oh I'm on a roll.

moss2

0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Proboards...they usually have RPG hacks abailable to put it in there...
Here's the link...

www.proboards.com
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Proboards turns me off for some reason. I think it's their really long ugly urls. Plus, I've never been to a proboard I've liked. So thanks anyway, though. I guess through it all, I'm not meant to...broaden my horizons just yet and I'll have to put up with IF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: