Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mormons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Relating back to what Sars Ad-minh said, yes, in the majority of abrahamic religions homosexualism is considered a sin. However, I was raised in a sect of Protestantism called the United Church, a not insignificant denomination, at least within Canada and the United States. In the United Church, though it is Christian, homosexuality is not frowned upon; indeed, it is not even considered a sin. Granted, the United Church is somewhat renowned for being one of the most liberal sects of Christianity. I believe that it is the only Christian church that has ordained gay and lesbian ministers. If you believe in the teachings of the Christian Church, Darkness Rune, then I would say that the United Church might be a good fit for you. You would not be shunned nor frowned upon for who you are, and I believe that this sort of belief more closely mirrors Jesus' teachings about love and acceptance for all. Something to consider, at the least.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you Sophita for the Mormon info.

So from what I figure they are yet another Christian off shoot kind of like the Jehovah witnesses.

I personally dislike those off shoot "cult" religions more than the official branches of Christianity.

You know I was approached by a Jehovah witness many times, and they tried to convince me to join, and I was a kid back then, and they just wouldn't leave carrying around their briefcase insisting on things.

Now of course they don't bother me more than once since I give them the stare, but my point is that religions like the Mormon's or the Jehovah witnesses are basically army recruiting, I mean a Catholic priest never came to me to tell me to start believing in god, that by it self ruins some of the fundamentals of religion and off shoot religions like this as my personal opinion should be eradicated.

Quote:

Well, with the Vatican, it is worth noting that the Vatican was the policy maker in Rome for a very, very long time.

Before I try to make a point, does anyone remember of the dark years of the inquisition?

The Templars, the Crusaders?

That is basically religion in politics, as the Vatican is as the Islamic religion is involved with happenings right now.

As long as people are in need to believe over something that doesn't exist so they can make themselves feel better, there will be war and religion, politics and religion.

So...

Quote:

And I would say many people and organizations are hypocritical. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; people (and organizations) change, and who you are in 1600 is not the same as who you are in 2005. I would prefer to have a religion that is hypocritical due to changing than one that never changes at all.

I would prefer not to have a religion at all and be strong enough to look at the mess of the world without anyone giving me "strength" and me giving them money.

Quote:

And some of the popes had hundreds of bastard children; some mormons drink coffee. Your point? Those who govern churches are human just like the rest of us. They sin, too. (Edited to clarify that I don't think homosexuality is a sin.)

Personally I don't think that homosexuality is a sin, because there is no such thing as a sin, as you said in the 1600' been a homosexual could get you literally tortured and killed unless you were an aristocrat or something.

My point is that if I believe certain teachings I follow them, if I'm not able to then I should sit at home and live a normal life and not "seclude" and "devote" my self to a religion only to brake the teachings of that religion it self in a profound way only later to say that I have sinned and god forgive me.

So the point of believing somewhere is that I should believe then break those beliefs be forgiven the break them again and the cycle goes on...

Interesting I should write a piece on religion and its side effects one of this days.

Quote:

That is too funny

Glad that I made someone laugh finally, though it wasn't my intension this time...

Quote:

Well, how can I describe it? It's a religion. Founded by some guy named joesph smith. Something about a mirror, golden book's, a angel of god.

This Joseph Smith guy reminds me of the Smith's from Killer 7 for some reason, and it doesn't have to do with the name alone.

Quote:

Please edit your original post and don't just make another double post.

Ah, Fliktor you fixed the quote too, you make neat guys like me proud.

Quote:

South Park did a very funny episode about Mormonism last season. It was very mean and very spiteful, but it was also very funny. And say what you will about Trey and Matt, they do tend to do their research.

I love South Park but I haven't seen past Season 3 and I don't remember any Mormons during that.

Now again and before I receive a barrage of spoons, pots, rotten apples, kittens and other assorted items let me say that the above is my opinion, nothing more nothing less so don't assault me if it insults your beliefs or something ok, is not meant to do that is simply the way I think.
Samwise

Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I personally dislike those off shoot "cult" religions more than the official branches of Christianity.

Hmm... I wouldn't say that Mormonism or Jehovah's Witnesses are any less "official" than any other denomination of Christianity. I mean, Christianity itself is an offshoot from Judaism, but that doesn't mean that it's a "cult". All the different groups branched off from Catholicism because there was some part of the original doctrine that certain people didn't agree with, and since religion is such a personal thing, I don't think there's anything wrong with breaking away for such a purpose. Saying that Catholicism or Protestantism is "the official branch of Christianity" would be playing along with the game of "my religion is better than yours". And eradicating any form of religion that others believe in would be taking away their personal freedom.

But that being said, since religion is such a personal thing, I agree with you in that I don't think that people have any right whatsoever try to get anyone else to change his/her beliefs concerning these kinds of matters. And I also agree that Jehovah's Witnesses tend to get a bit pushy about recruitment. I don't think they should be eradicated by any means, but I think that they should definitely rethink their policies on coverting others.

::Edit:: Oh, and if I came off in any way as being pretentious and overbearing, then please, by all means, tell me to shut up. :wink:
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The whole difference between the "Christian" belief of each individual sect, are for the most part just the traditions they put into practice. Catholicism, is more old school using old traditions that have been in practice since essentially when they had first gone into Rome. Using Rome, as the center of their religious beliefs, considering at the time it was literally the center of the world. From my understanding, while they differ in some of their beliefs on how things are to be done the Amish also tend to be more traditional. The Protestants, and others tend to be more progressive with their traditions,and such. They also tend to focus more on reaching out to the community,and such though thats not saying that Catholics dont also do so. There are very few differences between all of the Christian beliefs, not to mention that at the very core of things there are few essential differences between Christianity and Judaism. Aside from of course the belief in Jesus as the son of god, rather than just a prophet.

I cannot disagree in anyway with what Samwise said about certain sects needing to back off on their recruitment. I mean especially Jehova's Witness's who if I hadnt literally started forcing them physically out the door they wouldnt have left. I mean it sometimes gets to the point of being absolutely rediculous, when i have to physically remove them just to get them to leave me alone. I think people should have the right to sue the organization if repeated attempts of recruitment come around to them. The last time that I checked, constantly having people you dont want coming around you, it's called harrassment.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just think there should be one religion from each sector.

The problem with all these off shoots is that they all recruit and that they all have a "community" and money revolving all around.

I could make a religion tomorrow too.

"Aye, believe in me and ye shall find peace" (as South Park Jesus put it).

"Get rid of all your material possessions and give them to me to purify your souls, you have sinned but not be afraid there is still time to repent and not burn in hell eternally, just make sure the check doesn't bounce, I accept VISA and MASTERCARD too" (as I put it just now).

Though the above rant may seem ridiculous that sort of thing was present in the US particular in the 70's and 80's.

So I have to put up with enough religions as it is, people should believe in Jesus, Mohamed or Micky Mouse, but at least unite in doing so rather than divide in several different factions and dissecting their religion and keeping only the parts that suit them.

Also the recruiting part is what annoys me the most, I mean man I'm aware of your religion and I don't want to follow it, respect that and don't follow me around with leaflets pestering me to join.

And personally I would never say to anyone to shut up and not voice their minds since it seems my usual opinions are not very welcome around here.

And again not to upset anyone I think I'm going to repeat this in every post I make from now on, is just MY opinion is not right is not wrong is my point of view so don't go on a riot.
Samwise

Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arenegeth, sorry if you took my post to mean that I was trying to prove you wrong, because I really wasn't. I was just trying to debate my point of view in a friendly argument. If I sounded like I was going off on a riot, it wasn't my intention, and I deeply apologize. :D

...I really shouldn't post on these kinds of topics on my first day here...
Filipe

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem with that approach Arenegeth, is it would never work for the sects to ever come back together for any reason at all. You have to remember that these differences have caused far too many in the past, just to get back together so it wont bother you. I respect your opinion really but essentially you are stepping into territory that would basically be ignoring the history behind everything that happened. All of the wars, and all of the killing on both sides that have happened since even England broke away from the Catholic church.

You have to remember that even as recently as a few years back, for an example the Irish Republican Army were killing British citizens because of religious differences, among other reasons. They were also terrorists, but far less known than Al Qaeda though some could say they have a legitimate cause. However, many wars have been waged all across the world because of these differences. Im not only limiting them to christian sects either, because factions of Islam have also been fighting for centuries as well if I am not mistaken. In fact I would not be surprised if when the Amercians leave Iraq, if the fighting starts up again then, if we dont see civil war between the Islamic sects over there. Doesnt really sound like all that good of an idea to bring them together, where we would essentially have mass slaughters all over the place in the name of beliefs.

It is my opinion that the Mormon religion might need to adjust their acceptance of different lifestyles, and beliefs. They dont have to accept a person's lifestyle, whether they are homosexual, or whatever other differences they are not willing to accept. Obviously no one is going to force them into doing so, considering it is their beliefs, so forcing them would be encroaching on their beliefs. Just like if the laws here in Canada were to force churches, and other religions to perform gay marriages because it has been put into practice here. That would obviously not be an acceptable course of action.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The problem with that approach Arenegeth, is it would never work for the sects to ever come back together for any reason at all. You have to remember that these differences have caused far too many in the past, just to get back together so it wont bother you. I respect your opinion really but essentially you are stepping into territory that would basically be ignoring the history behind everything that happened. All of the wars, and all of the killing on both sides that have happened since even England broke away from the Catholic church.

Let me say it this way, we got Catholics we got Orthodox, Protestants that's ok.

And then we got Mormons, Baptists, Jehovah witnesses the Patriots (joke relating to Metal Gear), I mean what the heck, there is history in Catholic and Orthodox and other big factions, there are too big and influential to change now, but all those smaller parties are just a thorn on my police record side (since my jokes and analogies are rarely captured by that I mean that from all the pestering to join I might give them an "invitation" too with my fists), those people should just wake up, the big parties started with whole countries on their sides and not just some mob with worldwide connections.

Quote:

You have to remember that even as recently as a few years back, for an example the Irish Republican Army were killing British citizens because of religious differences, among other reasons. They were also terrorists, but far less known than Al Qaeda though some could say they have a legitimate cause. However, many wars have been waged all across the world because of these differences. Im not only limiting them to christian sects either, because factions of Islam have also been fighting for centuries as well if I am not mistaken. In fact I would not be surprised if when the Amercians leave Iraq, if the fighting starts up again then, if we dont see civil war between the Islamic sects over there. Doesnt really sound like all that good of an idea to bring them together, where we would essentially have mass slaughters all over the place in the name of beliefs.

I address to that in my earlier post I mention the past and you mentioned the present so we got that point that both made covered.

Quote:

Arenegeth, sorry if you took my post to mean that I was trying to prove you wrong, because I really wasn't. I was just trying to debate my point of view in a friendly argument. If I sounded like I was going off on a riot, it wasn't my intention, and I deeply apologize.

...I really shouldn't post on these kinds of topics on my first day here...

No Samwise Gamgee, I was not referring to you is just that *looks left and right* in the past some of my generally controversial and subjective views didn't get the best reception so I wanted to avoid people getting on my throat again and make them understand that is a matter of perspective.

Be free to voice your mind whatever that is, is called freedom of speech so don't worry about it, if you live in the US you have the first amendment to fall back to, I just have a lot of time and my fists (another analogy and joke that I'm sure all of you missed).
Filipe

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dont get my ideas wrong Arenegeth, I am not saying that there arent already too many sects of religions out there. Being a member of a protestant(I think dont hold me to that) church I am generally not bothered by people trying to recruit me to join them. I usually just promptly show them the door, and in the case of Jehovah's witnesses, show them the door with a foot to the well you get the idea. I can sympathize with your situation, but just dont get the idea that you or anyone else can change whats going on. For now, during all the time they have had their place within the religions these sects are a part of, they have built up their own traditions. Their own ways of seeing the same beliefs other break offs from the Catholic religion have, not to mention the Catholics themselves. All I can suggest on the matter, is just like everything else in life, if you know there is nothing you can do to change it just learn to roll with it. That goes for differing political opinions, or even the War in Iraq. You dont have to agree with it, you dont have to like it, however the fact is the US is in Iraq, and thats not going to change. That is merely an example though.

I am also happy to see that we have both added to the history, both present, and past of said conflicts. However, I do really think we should consider that while these religions are being pushy with their recruitment, they are trying to comfort people. Many people around the world find comfort in their religious beliefs, and they are better off in their lives for doing so. Is it the right thing for everyone? No of course not, but you cant hate them for trying to help people come to something which may show them some level of comfort.

I hate to say this Arenegeth, but it might not be nessasarily your opinions on things, but rather how you go about responding to other peoples opinions. However I am not able to mediate that, as that is the responsibility of one of the mods, or an administrator. I do hope I was not stepping on anyones toes, by saying that. I was merely making an observation.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I hate to say this Arenegeth, but it might not be nessasarily your opinions on things, but rather how you go about responding to other peoples opinions. However I am not able to mediate that, as that is the responsibility of one of the mods, or an administrator. I do hope I was not stepping on anyones toes, by saying that. I was merely making an observation.

Eh, I can't understand what you mean by that man, I'm personally very receptive of other peoples opinions, anyone can say what he/she wants, as I said above freedom of speech so I really don't know what you mean, I may not agree with what some people will say neither I will unless they mange to convince me otherwise with their arguments.

So I really can't see what you're talking about here.

Quote:

but you cant hate them for trying to help people come to something which may show them some level of comfort.

First I don't hate anyone and nothing I have said that several times in several threads I will say it again.

Second personally I have never seen a Jehovah witness for instance go and try to recruit the poor homeless guy at the side of the street, neither have I ever heard of any of those religions helping anyone.

Oh and I'm not saying that it can change though under certain circumstances it can, but that it should change, you see there's a difference.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think any of us are fit to say that a religion needs to change. I remember whining when the new Pope was announced- we were all hoping for a new, more modern type of Pope that would pick up where JP II left off- and didn't get one. Many Christian religions (and the religions who call themselves Christian) need change; they need to fit into the time in which we live in, but it wont happen. If you disagree with whatever church, simply do not endorse those beliefs. Now this is much more difficult than believing in something and being shunned by fellow believers because of homosexuality- often times, you can't up and quit traditions and ideals that you have built upon for many years. But those calling for change outside of these religions should just leave them alone. If you want to be a priestess, don't join the Catholic religion. That's really all there is to it...change isn't very likely, so why waste that time trying to make it happen?
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learn all sorts of things by reading plays - particularly about smaller social sects. The only problem is that most of the time I don't research them to find out whether they're true - this time I did. In Tony Kushner's Angels in America (One of my favorite plays) two of the main characters are mormons and the religion is brought into the forefront. Out of the things I learned about Mormonism this is probably my favorite.

The angel that came to Joseph Smith, where the name of Mormonism is shaped - the angel's name was Moroni. So the Mormons shouldn't be Mormons at all but rather "Morons."

I mean no insult to the Mormons - there are many more religions I have less respect for. People are people and they're believe what they want. As long as they don't kill me over it I could really care less what they do or do not believe. To me, religion is fine for anyone who wants it or doesn't want it as long as no one is killed over it. My main problem with Judiasm, Islam and Christianity isn't in their belief structure - it's in their actions to the other people enhabiting the earth.

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To comment on what St. Ajora said, the people that are most calling for change within religions are not members of said religions. Those calling for religion to accept homosexuality for instance, are usually not members of these religions so what right do they have to tell them to change anything? When it comes to female priestesses that is something which will come eventually, probably within the next fifty years. It is something that needs to steadily be brought into the fold, making it more acceptable for the very traditional Catholics. They are also making other steps forward, in the fact that one of the main candidates for pope was black. There has never been a black pope, heck I doubt there have been any black candidates before this past time. Thats a step forward as well, however you have to realize all of these things take time before they will be put into place. There may never be a black pope, but it's a possibility that might come around. there could very well one day be some Priestesses leading Catholic congregations, rather than priests. It's all possibilities for the future, but we never know whats really going to happen.

The sad part is, there is one thing we all know wont happen, and that is acceptance of homosexuality. When even moderate, liberal christians are not for religious acceptance of homosexuality, you know it's never going to happen. To most religions it is a sin, while to some others it's tolerable, but not acceptable. I mean none of this is going to change, because it is something which has been etched into the fabric of their religions since virtually inception. The one religion which did go so far as to accept homosexuality right now is virtually torn in half by the decision. So trying to force a change of this sort, does more damage than good. Besides freedom of religion warrants their right to choose what, and what not to accept in their beliefs.

This is just my opinion folks, and I am just stating them as such.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but I stumbled across it by accident and I feel the need to say just a couple of things, being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) myself.
The name, "Mormon," is derived from the Book of Mormon, which we hold to be another testament of Jesus Christ and is held to be canon along with the Bible, as far as it is translated correctly. Mormon was the last prophet to write on the plates that comprised the original "book" and it was he who compiled the vast number of records his people had accumulated into the book, and thus it was named after him. In the early days of the church the members were nick-named Mormons, probably because it was easy to remember!

As for the Church's stand on homosexuality, if you want to know the official stance, it is to be found here..
After all that's been said, it's only fair that I put this out there, considering it's my faith that was the one that triggered this discussion, it seems.

Also, we're not a "cult." T_T That implies weird rites and bizarre rituals to me...O_o We are so far from that...

Anyway. Religion is a deeply personal thing and I believe very strongly that every person has the right to follow the dictates of his or her own conscience, as far as it does no damage to other people. What I DON'T understand at all are the people who feel the need to take apart or try to destroy other peoples' faith.

...and just a foot-note, if you want to find information on the LDS Church, PLEASE don't just randomly search the 'net. There's a lot of really vicious untruths out there, and the accurate information is here. I'm not trying to advertise, I just don't want people believing lies about something that is so very precious to me. It makes me sick at heart.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hiccup, I actually spent a good twenty minutes reading info on that site. I'm not sure why...seeing how I am not religious at all. I guess because I was also curious, and my knowledge on Mormon's is severely limited. To be honest, all I know is from the South park episode. Although it was poking fun, it told some of the story. And the main thing was "How do you know he didnt just make it up???" Although that can be said about all religion, really. Reading through there, I see that mormons arent ass odd, and crazy cultists as i thought them to be. It's not the thing for me, but I'm glad I actually have a reason for thinking this. So, thank you for posting this. I suggest anyone who has "beliefs" about mormons that came from a unreliable source, to read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: