Suikoden United and Infamous Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mormons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkness_rune

The crimson knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Mormons Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok. I'm not trying to say I hate anybody, i'm just telling ya'll something that has happened to me.

A long time ago my real dad made a friend named joe, he was a mormon. So me and my dad went to his church a couple of times. My dad joined, it was good for him cause he doesnt have many friends. Maybe 7 years later, the missonaries came over, they where trying to talk me into joining. I dident want to, but they wouldent leave me alone till I said yes. So I did, and the big day came, my dad was to baptize me. I had to wear a white jump suit, I hate waering white clothes, but I digress. So it happened, most of my family was there. I was in the church for about 2 years befor I "came out". I had been trying to find myself, and I finally have, but I had to hide it. Cause, ok, here is a line I was given. "We are ok with gay people, but we are pro-family, And god said homosexuality is wrong and you'll go to hell for it." So I was really scared to come out. But after awhile I thought to myself. "Well if god made me, he is ok with me being gay, and he loves me no matter what anyone say's. I don't need this." So I left. Then a couple of mounths later the bishop called, he is the "leader" of the church. He asked me why I left, and I told him. And that is when he told me about this book someone in the church wrote. "How to turn a gay person straight" was the title. And when he told me about that I snaped, I can't tell ya'll every thing I said, cause most of it was swearing. But I basicly said "I have found myself, and I am happy. And you'r not gonna change that." Or something like that. So he told me I had to write out a letter to the head of the church to remove me from the church, and I did. And it is done now, I hope. A couple of moutns ago some missionariers came by trying to make me join again, I told them everything that has happened and to not bother, i'm not going back to the cult ever again.

Last edited by Darkness_rune on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All I have to say is, good for you for getting away from people who dont accept you for who you are. I cannot stand people who discriminate against others for whatever reason, whether it is their race, their gender, their political opinion, or their sexual orientation. I cant say that I have personally ever been disregarded thanks to my race, or gender, and my sexual orientation as a straight male is considered "normal". However, on the internet, and with people that I know people tend to disregard my thoughts because I am a staunch conservative. It doesnt fit very well with the Canadian "left wing norm", but I manage to get my thoughts in anyway, whether they care to hear it or not. I dont really like doing so, but sometimes when there are no other options to the matter, I do what I have to do. Just a tip, make sure that no one ever disregards your opinion regardless of the reasons why, or it will cause problems.

If you are looking to get into religion anyway, try to find one more accepting of your differences of opinion. While they might not agree with it, might not even support it, there are some out there that are willing to leave you alone in that respect. Some would just take you in, and you could have your beliefs, and they would have theirs, all the while sharing a belief in god whatever form that might take. Thats the difficult thing with choices like that, if you are looking for a religion that will accept your way of life, you will be hard pressed to find one that will agree with it. I cant speak on that from experience, but I know of several homosexuals who have went searching for a religious institution accepting of their way of life.

Thats pretty much the only suggestions I can give you, but I am not speaking from experience, so just take my suggestions for whatever they might be worth.

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, all I can really say is "good for you". It takes a lot of guts to to be youself sometimes and i think in the long run it's worth it. Yeah there might be friends and family who now shun you for it but it's really there own problems not yours. I'll go ahead and use the old "I'm not gay but I have a lot of gay friends" line. While there is not much I can do for you personaly you should know that you and the entire G&L Aliance have my suport and the second Washington state oks the union I'll be open for buissness.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you got to love culture, you got to love tradtion. it wrong to bash those who bash other things? I guess so.
anway if some religon requires massive breeding, well "adopting" won't cut it. they need "family", some kid could even had been born to partents, differnt parents. sure you raise them as your own. well this is "my understanding"

I read an artical about Mornon(I think) teens getting kicked out of the church for stupid reasons, apparntly other guys saw them as compitition for wives, so they needed an excuse to level the playing field

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

"We are ok with gay people, but we are pro-family, And god said homosexuality is wrong and you'll go to hell for it

Then they are not OK with gay people. Why would they make a statement like that? I hate hypocrites.

Anyway, I was always a religious person, but since I came out I've been slipping a lot in that. I was born Catholic, raised Catholic, both sides of my family are Catholic, everyone who has married into either side of my family is Catholic, most of the people I went to school with are Catholic ... so it can be hard when you realize that a belief system you have held for so long basically considers you to be almost subhuman. Religion is what you make of it, I guess. I still consider myself a religious person, but I am finding it harder and harder to say that I consider myself Catholic anymore. I probably shouldn't say I am, but I just can't seem to let it go.

I find religious intolerance ridiculous. The so-called followers of Jesus (a being who preached love, acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness) pushing forward an agenda of hate and bigotry seems quite contradictory. Granted, some obscure passage of the Bible may say this or that, but the Bible also says things like how its OK to sell your daughter into slavery in certain conditions, how God demands blood sacrifices every so often and how the sun revolves around the earth. That don't necessarily make it so.

But back on topic. One of my friends in college (and his cousin who lived in the same dorm) were Mormons and they didn't seem very conservative at all. The cousin was a major raver/party guy and my friend (who became an elder his sophomore year and started signing all of his documents with the titled Elder before his name) was an art history major and was very gay-friendly. He would go to our neighbor's drag shows every week and was majorly into fashion. This was in 1998, so I guess you could call him the begninnings of Metrosexuality.

While Mormonism may have a stigma of being more conservative, I do believe it rests more with the person than the religion as a whole. It sounds like you got thrust into a circle with some bad apples, though, Darkness Rune.

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, a lot of the world's religions are anti-homosexuality. I don't know what to tell you, as they'll always have their beliefs. It does depend on the person though, as I went to Catholic High School and they were quite tolerant to those who were different. You have to understand that they consider homosexuality in a different light, they think of it as a defect in character, something that is not inherit but something that is not desirable.

On a somewhat related note, the governor of my state happens to be Mormon. And he'll probably be running for President in 2008.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think generally on mass, all of the religions of the world, with maybe a sect of one religion are against Homosexuality. That is not to say that all members of said religions are against homosexuality, but as religions they are. Some find it to be a mental defect that people have, and others see it as a choice people make, not to mention they can change their minds. Then again some people see it as a horrible sin, and a crime that should be punished for it goes against gods laws. Personally I am torn between people being born with it naturally, and it being a choice that people make. Perhaps it could be a bit of both, that some people are generally inclined to both but lean more towards those of their same gender. That doesnt make it evil, or unnatural quite the opposite actually. It is probably something that has been instilled in all of us, but only active in some of us.

Do I think god created all people to have that within us? Probably not, more than likely since god gave us the ability to adapt to things it developed over time. Kind of like a development into the human psyche that is not evil like some other things that have come about. The psyche's need for more money, possesions, physical pleasure, drugs and such. Taken in certain situations all of these things could be considered evil, or corruptable, however they have all developed into human nature. So has homosexuality, but that doest mean it is corrupt, or even evil, merely something different that is essentially in the human brain. It might show itself in ones life, it might not. I hate to say it, but I somehow doubt that very many of the worlds religions will ever come to see homosexuality as normal. Some may eventually accept it, not as a sin, or evil but merely something that comes along with being human.

Hopefully no one has seen what I have said, as offensive for that was not my intention. I was merely stating my personal point of view on the current discussion, that does not involve my giving advice.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, homosexuality is only considered as an "abomination" in the abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Zoroastrianism includes it within the purity laws that it is unclean, but does not go as far as saying it is a sin. The same is true with other major religions, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Daoism: they neither condemn it nor do they encourage it. Shinto says nothing about homosexuality, and plenty of other religions do not care.

Also, homosexuality is not a trait observed only in humans; it is observed in animals as well.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Homosexuality is a genetic thing again.

That is why is visible in animals too, in as far as I can tell all this years in lesser degree than humans.

I don't want to get this off topic and start talking about homosexuality in general so let me ask something first.

What the hell is a Mormon?

At first I thought that this topic was about some fish or something, Mormon's are unknown fruit to me.

Now about religions, still not to generalize just let me tell you that religions especially in the form of organized religion like the Vatican for instance, are hypocrites and they faction in the same way as politicians that I personally think bring a shame to their beliefs...

Do you know that like two years ago it was found that monks in a monastery in a country near me that I will not name, were having homosexual orgies?

If you believe in religion and want to devote yourself to it then do so, but not go around ***** each other when you get ***.

Is just a matter of perspective, I advice anyone homosexual to stay away from religion since religion especially roman catholic, Islam and Christian Orthodox will certainly stay away from them.

Now before I'm ravaged by wild beasts again just let me say that the above is my personal opinion, and if it happens to offend anyone then I'm sorry that was not the intension.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:

Also, homosexuality is not a trait observed only in humans; it is observed in animals as well.

I saw the national geographic artical and a dicussion about it over DA's forums. I just wonder if those penguins are gay and not "trans sexual" a penguin can't say "but i'm a boy/girl inside!"
also some aniamls ,I think people missinterpet their homosexuality.Maybe....but some species communicate through touch more like Dolphins, sure there are gay dolphins, but Bottlenosed dolphens also gang-rape and beat up other species and their own low ranking podmates (juse like people?) Bonobo chimps are the notrious "OMG look bi-sexual aniamls afkjsfkjakjf!1oneone" but again, somhow the're better than use because they have sex when upset and not violent. they rub up aginst eachother, dosen't matter how "is getting any" so again, if young chimps and old chimps do thins, look pedophila in the animal kingdom. its a good natural thing?

there are lots of thigns aniamls do that we could, I've seen people counter this "but aniamls are gay so it is a good thing/ok/not bad" with "lions kill cubs that aren't there own" hinting that, stepfathers should kill their stepchildren and make ther own kids. (I think)

as for friendly religions? what about those neo-pagens or psudo-pagans. The kind you find on the internet all the time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arenegeth wrote:

Mormons is a colloqial term for members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Basically, they're another Christian sect, mostly, I think, based in the U.S. They don't belong to Catholic, Protestant, or Orthadox traditions; rather, they believe the LDS church is a modern restoration of Jesus' own church. Joseph Smith founded it after (supposedly?) experiencing an appearance by God and Jesus in the early 1800's, but they faced a LOT of persecution. (In fact, Smith was killed by a mob.) They eventually drifted westward, and are now based in Utah.

They're mostly known for their:

- Former belief in polygymy (which the mainline LDS church is very AGAINST now,ut there are still small communities where it is, in fact, still practiced on the underground by fundamental mormons).

- a strict dietary code (no tea, no alcohol (even wine, I wonder?), no coffee, no tobacco)

- performing post-mortem baptisms

- extensive geneology research

- cheesy TV commercials in the 1980's and early 1990's (Ok, that one's just me.)

They differ from the Roman Catholic/Greek Orthadox/Protestant in that they recognize the Book of Mormon and the Bible as pieces of scripture, a belief in exaltation (basically a belief that people can become like - but not equal to - god), a rejection of the trinity doctrine, and generally more active proselytizing than some of the Protestant/Roman Catholic/Greek Orthadox traditions have. Of course, most of that's from Wikipedia and my memory of a brief religious overview class I had about 5 years ago, so you know, there are lots of people who could give you a better idea than I can.

It is also fairly amusing/disturbing that they can be fairly bigoted concidering it wasn't so long ago that Mormons were pretty heavily prosecuted in the U.S. (They were actually run out of several states and I don't mean in the "pleave leave now" way; I mean the "pitchforks and fire" sort of way.) Mormon was a diry word for a long time.

Quote:
Now about religions, still not to generalize just let me tell you that religions especially in the form of organized religion like the Vatican for instance, are hypocrites and they faction in the same way as politicians that I personally think bring a shame to their beliefs...

Well, with the Vatican, it is worth noting that the Vatican was the policy maker in Rome for a very, very long time. (And still is in Vatican City.) The clergy had a state of unpresidented power in communites in Europe for a long time - it was not uncommon for a powerful family in the middle ages to send some sons or daughters into the church. The clergy was an upper class position, and it was a political position.

And I would say many people and organizations are hypocritical. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; people (and organizations) change, and who you are in 1600 is not the same as who you are in 2005. I would prefer to have a religion that is hypocritical due to changing than one that never changes at all.

Quote:
Do you know that like two years ago it was found that monks in a monastery in a country near me that I will not name, were having homosexual orgies?

And some of the popes had hundreds of bastard children; some mormons drink coffee. Your point? Those who govern churches are human just like the rest of us. They sin, too. (Edited to clarify that I don't think homosexuality is a sin.)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darkness_rune

The crimson knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

At first I thought that this topic was about some fish or something, Mormon's are unknown fruit to me.

That is too funny :D . :lol: . Well, how can I describe it? It's a religion. Founded by some guy named joesph smith. Something about a mirror, golden book's, a angel of god.

Well, from what I remember. Nothing that leaves a stain, so no coffe, no tea, no red wine. But they will drink grape juice. And they are still makeing those dumb commercials, they look old, but they are new. And I don't know what is so important about utah to the mormon. Except the head of the church is there, but that dosent make it a great vaccation place. My dad is ok with me being gay. In fact everyone in my family still loves me, I told my granpa, but he allways forget's, oh well. My uncel is gay to, so it's not new to the family.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Please edit your original post and don't just make another double post.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

South Park did a very funny episode about Mormonism last season. It was very mean and very spiteful, but it was also very funny. And say what you will about Trey and Matt, they do tend to do their research.

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats one of the things I've always liked about South Park; the subtle (or not so subtle) sociological points.

About Mormons.. Like most religions, I believe Mormonism has been tweaked as it has grown to suit those who chose to believe in it. I had a friend here in Scotland who was apparently in a Mormon family, but his beliefs went little beyond that of the average Christian. Religions can often be fickle contradictory things, I've little patience for them.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: