Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Willy Wonka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unknown

Hidden Loyalty

10137 Potch
150 Soldiers
630 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so ready to see it muhahahaha
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lord Dredd wrote:
I do not think that I will watch this movie because it will probably ruin my fond childhood memories of the original movie. It just looks to sinister and evil to me.

It's funny you would say that, because when the first movie came out, a lot of Mothers wouldn't let their kids see it in theatres. They thought it looked evil (my how times have changed). As a result, it wasn't a big commercial success. yet as time went by, it became a classic anyway.

I remember reading in the paper that Depp was defending his role in the new movie. Gene Wilder didn't like the fact that a remake was being made, and said that they were only doing it for money. Depp replied by saying something like "Aren't all movie made to make money?"

and while that's true, I think Mr. Depp is missing the point. The point being that the first movie is a timeless classic, maybe even an American Icon. And the shoes of Wilder's Wonka are big shoes to fill.

I might see it when it comes out on DVD (I don't like theatres. they are smelly, sticky, and teenagers do things in the very back), 'cause i am curious about Wonka's past.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This movie is unfortunately not something that i think will be all that good in comparison to the original movie for several reasons. For one thing, the original movie, and part of Willy Wonka was tailor made for an actor like Gene Wilder. The part was essentially perfect for him, and he pulled it off accordingly. Johnny Depp is nowhere near the character actor that Gene Wilder is for that sort of part. Wilder is strange in that sort of way which would work perfectly for the part that he played. However he is far too old to play the part now, they should have found someone else fitting for the role. Johnny Depp is not said person in my opinion at least.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

For one thing, the original movie, and part of Willy Wonka was tailor made for an actor like Gene Wilder. The part was essentially perfect for him, and he pulled it off accordingly. Johnny Depp is nowhere near the character actor that Gene Wilder is for that sort of part.

Tailor made for him, did not the older moive come after the older book? So really Gene Wilder was just acting to the part of character that was created for the book. And I"m not quite sure what kind of part your thinking about. I saw Depp being fairly strange in past movies. I mean he wasn't strange at all for "Pirates of the Carribean" or "Edward Scissor Hands". And I understand, how there are going to be tons of people who are going to remain stubborn, just for the fact they feel they need to stay loyal to a actor who also "did the role for money" a long time ago. I also loved the old charlie and the chocolate factory. I somehow keeps a twisted warm feeling in your stomach after watching it. That doesn't mean this one wont do the same unless given a chance. Along with the changing in times, so do the actors. Anywho Grand Marshall Filipe, I ask you, try and watch it. They also add new background story, compaired to the old one.

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The badguy from Tron wrote:

It's funny you would say that, because when the first movie came out, a lot of Mothers wouldn't let their kids see it in theatres. They thought it looked evil (my how times have changed). As a result, it wasn't a big commercial success. yet as time went by, it became a classic anyway.

The real funny part was that the movie was supposed to bomb. It was originally supposed to support acandy bar that had come out. They expected the movie to flop, and the candy bar to do well. Luckily it did not happened as they planed. On a side note, does anyone else fast foward through the song "Cheer up Charlie" with a title like that it should be more upbeat. Not a funeral durge.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hate to break it to you Ranadiel but I am far from one of Johnny Depps fans, and this film doesnt fit as a movie I would watch regardless of who was in it. If I do see it at all, I will wait until the movie comes out on video or pay tv and watch it then. I just dont know what it is about Johnny Depp's acting it just doesnt catch on with me whats so great about it. Dont get me wrong it's not that he's a terrible actor just in my opinion he's not all that great.

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They were supposed to make more Willy Wonka movies after the original. But the actor that played charlie bucket - Peter Ostrum - turned it down because he wanted to be a veterinarian. I would really have liked to see a fillm version of the other wonka books by Roald Dahl. The plan was scrapped after that. Amazing how one person can influence events like that. I know alot of people were used to him being Charlie, but I think it would have worked with another actor. The movie was revolutionary in the 70s and it was a shame that you never got to see more of the Wonka story.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

one thing about Depp is that he plays characters that are completely different. By that I mean there isn't one unifying theme in all the characters he plays. For example, Mel Gibson, if you see him in a movie , its going to be an action movie (unless its that want women want...... thing), he's going to get beat up, and will end up killing the other guy in the end.

But, in my unbiased opinion, The best part Johnny Depp ever played was that kid in nightmare on elm street, where his bed is turned into a blender or something (can't remember exactly), and he falls in and gets all cut up and blood goes everywhere.

oh, and I don't hate Johnny Depp or anything. Just thought you should know that.

Harmonian Death Squad

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if I want to watch the new verison of Willy Wonka, it doesn't look that good. Johnny Depp looks scary when he smiles in this movie. I don't know why they made him smile like that in this movie. I also agree that he doesn't look old enough for the part. It is very hard to believe that he is in his fourties. I have a friend though that saw it, and she said that it was better than the original. She said they go more into depths with the characters, they explain why Wonka is the way he is. If thats the case, I might check it out when I have nothing else to do.

Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Willy Wonka is supposed to be creepy. He's making kids disappear left and right, and doesn't seem to really care. I thougtht there were only 2 Wonka books. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Great Glass Wonkavator.
Jinners

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw the movie with a friend (Willy wonka scares her, just in general, but i made her mwahhaha...-ahem-) And i personally think it was wonderful. I've never read the book, but i did see the movie, the first one with gene wilder, and he scared me to death. He looked so...scary. I dont know how but it was just this dazed look he had....or something about him that made me wish i had never watched it.

But i liked willy wonka, just as a character. And when the remake came out it was on the top of my list to see and it was amazing! Johnny Depp looked so...awesome! He was adorable! And he played his part so well, it was really amusing. i dont see whats so scary about him...Maybe its just my personal opinion and such but ill be seeing it again for sure. And maybe one more time.

If you dont watch it. You'll be missing out. The way the characters are all in depth and how Willy Wonka is---acts the way he does. Id give it 5/5. It deserves it. And understandably those that liked the original...well, everyones entitled to their own opinion.

This movie flies over the original... Especially the songs. Oh yes the songs X3 Thats my opinion anyway. ^_^
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't get what everyone's problem is. Personally, I can't stand the original. But I saw this version today and I adored it. Johhny Depp is a far superior Willy Wonka, he's just creepier and quirkier. Maybe it's just because I love Depp, but I think this movie was faaaaar better than the first Wonka film.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You got me intrigued about this movie now and I want to watch it, but I guess it will take its time to come on DVD, I like Deep's acting in general but I still prefer Gene Wilder as Wonka I mean he fits the part better, perhaps is the hair or something, I didn't find the first movie the least spooky I have no idea why some of you did.

Again whenever I see this thread I crave some chocolate I better go get some again.
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Same with me. I'm going to go and see this movie too. See how it compares with the original.
Walawala

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't too bad. It was very close to the book. Almost word for word, which was kind of creepy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: