Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just got this game on the cheap on eBay and i am waiting for it to be delievered.

Has anyone here played this game that was released for the Playstation back in 2002?? I have read a few reviews about it and they are kinda mixed, ign giving it a 4 out of a possible 10 and rpgfan giving it a 64%.

They both go on about the difficulty in this game, is it really that hard?
Also, they are both annoyed with the fact that when a character dies, that is it, they are gone for good, that surely must add to the difficulty. (What is that GameBoy RPG where you characters can also die, Fire Emblem??, people seem to think that is a good game with that feature)
People thought it was the next Final Fantasy Tactics, it looks like it but that is it. Apparently the flaws ruined this game. True??

I would like to hear your views on this please.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved this game, partly for its difficulty, except that it did become excessive in places. I actually wound up never finishing the game, because the buildup necessary to survive the final dungeon did me in. See, I'm a level sailor. I sail on through levels, getting them when I get them. I am not like some of my friends, who level up obsessively. I'm sure the game would be a breeze, relatively speaking, for someone who does that.

The plot is great, I really enjoyed it. The magic system is a lot of fun too, though I remember only little about it - I got it around when it came out, so my memory's fuzzy.

Also, I like how losing a character means losing a character. Funny, that sounds familiar, to a degree. Oh, gee, hey, kinda like how a party member can die in the war system of Suikoden ^_^ Fancy that.

Don't listen to the review sites. The reviewers want a nice easy game to breeze through so they can write their reviews and call it a day. You won't get that with Hoshigami. Give it a shot and decide for yourself what you think.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought this game back when it first came out. I still have it, it's a great game. Very good challenge. Made Final Fantasy Tactics look easy. The battle system was pretty fun, I loved how the enemies would level up with you. Or wait.. I can't remember if it's this game. I think it was. You made a good choice in buying it. The only way people can ever get a hold of it these days is via bittorrent, to emulator. : \
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harukaze, Like your good self i also just breeze through the levels and only level up my characters when i need too. But in this game when you level up the enemy levels up too, correct? So that must keep the difficulty pretty constant.

Well if it is as hard as the reviers make it i am looking foward to a good challenging Strategy RPG.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't honestly remember if monsters level up with you. It's been too long. All I remember is thinking it was too hard, and that I needed to level more before I tackled the final dungeon. If monsters level with you... I'm not sure why I would have wanted to level more. So that might not be correct?
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never played this game, but the same as you, I've heard it was really bad. Though I have palyed a game, Stella Dues, which people say it by the same maker or something and it's like the spiritual sequel to Hoshigami (I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong). if you like Hoshigami, you should probably check out Stella Dues on the PS2 (Came out recently)
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh God, I absolutely despised Stella Deus! So much so that even though things began happening in the plot, I gave up and returned it to save my brain from turning into mush. I tried to play Hoshigami as well, but it was too difficult, what with losing characters permanently even though you went through Heaven and Hell to level them up.

Why did I give up on Stella Deus? I'm pretty sure I outlined it elsewhere, but I'll give you a brief rundown.

1. When a plot involves religion, it's basically a creativity cop-out, IMHO. Grandia II had such a thing, but at least the twist in the story surprised me.

2. The music was unexciting and drab. I'm a hunter for good tunes, and Stella had nothing worth mentioning.

3. Only a possible couple of characters had any decent VAs. The rest of them sounded like they were ready to fall asleep or something.

4. The system was okay, but if I was forced to play Phantom Brave or Stella Deus for their gameplay, I'd go with PB.

5. Guys named Spero. And I'm not joking. :evil: I hated Spero with all my breath, flesh, sinew, everything possible! He was dull, uninteresting, naive, believed anyone and everyone regardless of how many contradictions he's made, had the second-worst voice actor (first goes to Viper), and so on. He was only good in battle, and even then he has the 'if the leader dies, it's game over' curse from good 'ol Shining Force days.

Sure as hell wasn't worth the money for me.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Benit149 wrote:
1. When a plot involves religion, it's basically a creativity cop-out, IMHO. Grandia II had such a thing, but at least the twist in the story surprised me.

Clearly my dear, you have not played the Xeno games. I do not think it is possible to call Xenogears, in particular, a creativity cop-out; and if you think that Xenosaga I is, clearly you're missing the point in that game. I have spent more hours than I can imagine discussing the minute intracacies of the plots of both games. There is much, so very much, for you to discover. Particularly if you are even remotely into mysticism and have a basic understanding of the Kaballah.

However, I am getting far afield; I just couldn't let that statement sit, so I appologize for the digression.

As for Hoshigami, yes, it's hard, but it isn't like you can't just hit the reset button. Why accept it if a character dies? Best words of advice for any game with true difficulty: save often. Really, it should be logical. Don't accept someone dying, just reset and redo the mission! And it's about time at least one game is willing to pump up the difficulty that much. There's gotta be something out there to challenge people; God knows most games don't.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mind digressions: we all have different tastes. Mine just don't fit with Hoshigami and Stella Deus' difficulty levels. And I completely forgot about Xenogears simply b/c I never played it. I can't find it anywhere in the city I live in, and I can't order online.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's really bothering me that I forgot whether or not if the enemies leveled up with you. Can anyone confirm this? I really don't feel like digging out Hoshigami right now.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember playing the game a few times when I rented but I didnt get the oppertunity to finish it namely because for one reason or another I gradually lost interest in the game. Just never really caught on with me, and it had nothing at all to do with the difficulty. In fact if anything I was moving along pretty well with my time if you ask me. However aside from that I cant really say that the game kept much of my interest much longer than maybe five hours or so.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't honestly remember if monsters level up with you. It's been too long.

One of the reviews mentioned it, i will see when i start playing it.

Quote:
you should probably check out Stella Dues on the PS2

I actually just finished this game on Tuesday night, i quite enjoyed it actually. Some of the battles we kinda long but not to the extent that they were tedious.

Quote:
save often.

Ok, so there IS save points in this game then. Just asking because one review i read the reviewer was complaining that there was no save points in the game and when you die that is it, you have to start all over again.
I simply can not believe that there are NO save points in an RPG.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh... bwah? No save points? Okay, I know for a fact that I have a saved game waiting for me pretty much at the end of the game. Your reviewer is on crack. I managed to get to the end of the game without losing anyone permanently, and while I don't remember specifics, surely I never lost a character. I definitely remember losing battles and retrying them, that's for damn certain.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Your reviewer is on crack.

That is what i thought. The poor guy was looking foward to the next Final Fantasy Tactics and ended up with a tough monster of a game.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me, the completely randomised Coinfeigm system and the ridiculous difficulty in the first few battles took out all the flavours that Hoshigami was supposed to have. Though, if you love overlevelling in the towers, then the game would be a breeze and only those coins would cause you a headache.

I wouldn't even go near Stella Deus, considering how both games are made by the same people. No, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: