Suikoden Urgent and Informational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Was Gremio Worth It?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sana

Acolytes of Chisha

6534 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Was Gremio Worth It? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, after replaying Suikoden 1 for the first time, I came up with this question. What does it mean? Well, as you all know Leeknaat resurrects Gremio, she mentions that she can only use this power one time. Was Gremio worth this amazing power?

Aside from the fact that he was needed to give me that 108 stars of destiny completion relief, Gremio, I don't think was worth it. He was a weak character, not in sense of battle, but the fact that he relied too much on other people, mainly Tir. He didn't do anything too significant, nor strived to, and needless to say, I think Leeknaat's one-time amazing power could've been put to better use.

For example, I think it would've been better spent on Odessa, or Mathiu Silverberg. Why Odessa? Well, she was a passionate person, she fought for what she believed was right, and if had not been killed, I think she would have lived up to do great things, and if had led the Liberation Army to the end, would have made an amazing queen/empress/leader for the Scarlet Moon Empire. I believe she would have been a leader who strived for equality, and fight until equality was reached.

Mathiu was also more worthy of being revived then Gremio. Although he was very passive, he was an amazing strategist, and a compassionate person. I think that if he had lived on, he would not help any more leaders in war, but for all the things he's done, I think he was deserving of allowing to die of old age and peace.

Do you think Gremio was worthy of being revived, and if not, who is?
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course he was, he gave his life for Tir and the group he didn't deserve to die the way he did at the time he did, some say that he was influenced by the Soul Eater to do so, I say he wasn't his only motivation was to save the life of young master, he was loyal, now the thing is what you ask is kind of hypothetical, because now is over and done technically for the world it would be better for others to be revived, but there's nothing that can be done about it now is it?

He deserved his revival and he got it now if someone else deserved it better is as I said completely hypothetical, as you said for the people Mathiu and Odessa would be better choices but I think for Tir, Gremio would be the best one, even over Teo and Ted...
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, was it worth it to save a human life? Well, sure, especially since this particular person gave you his not just to go on to win the war, but to just live. Was it worth it to pick him over someone else? Maybe, maybe not.

Odessa's role was over. She had persuaded you to continue on her dream, and died with no regrets. Mathiu was still alive at the time of the revival, so he would obviously be out of the question.

In Suikoden II, Kiba's leadership may have helped in the seizure of L'Renouille and saved many lives. In Suikoden III, having Wyatt, a familiar face for both sides, may have helped the short-lived peace Zexen and the Grasslands had after Luc was defeated. In Suikoden IV... well, none of the stars were said to have flat-out died around the end of the war (Warlock perhaps, but we don't know how long afterwards). Of course, in the two examples I gave, neither of them had 107 other stars to focus their thoughts, so maybe it wouldn't have even worked. Who knows.

You just have to remember the importance of this one person to you, and can't predict if the 108 Stars were going to gather again and that they would need their departed associate.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I believe that he was a great person and all, but I think Ted should have been revived also. He was brave and was definately a benevolent person. If Gremio should come back, so should Ted.
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gremio was worth it, he made the ultimate sacrifice for the team, but I don't understand why this was a one time only thing. Surely Mathiu would be a more important person to bring back. But what about in the other Suikodens. I felt bad for Pohl dying at the hands of Luca Blight trying to save Pilika. Supposedly Leknaat could have brought back Luc, her pupil but she didn't, almost like a it's your own fault and an I told you so from my point of view. Glen Cott could have been brought back also. Leknaat is just stingy that's what I think, all that power and she doesn't use it. Was it actualy Leknaat that brought Gremio back or was it in conjunction with the Soul Eater.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leknaat has clearly stated she can only do this once.

Also, Mathiu died after Gremio was revived, so there would not have been an opportunity.
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I know that's what she says, but unless she is using a special item that disintegrates when used in the same way as the listening crystals, if she did it once then she can do it again. I know what you're thinking, surely Leknaat wouldn't lie, or maybe it takes her a while to recuperate her powers. I think she could have brought Luc back if she wanted, but what does Konami say about this.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gremio was revived through the power of the 108 stars... Though he might not be of much use, reviving him would certainly improve the morale of Tir, Cleo, Pahn, Viktor among others, and, given that these guys are the backbone of the army, the revival of Gremio would certainly help...

In addition, he was 1 of the 108, he was meant to be revived... His revival makes just as much sense as useless people continueing to join ALL the armys and make it to the 108 (eg. Onil, Haruto among many)
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well.... :|
I feel that Gremio is worth it, but there should be far more better options on people to be revived than Gremio. More of the people who died were much-much more worth it than Gremio, such as Wyatt/Jimba.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Again, Leknaat said she can only do this once, which means it can only be done once. Not twice, not three times, but once.

Konami's official explanation is that Gremio was initially not meant to have been resurrected. However, they decided late in development to include this option because it would have been sad to not have a scene where all 108 stars congregate. Murayama decided that Gremio's revival won't cheapen the plot too much, so they went with it.

Thus, officially, Leknaat was supposed to not be able to bring people back. Further official information is that Leknaat would not have been able to bring back people who had no will to come back to life (or went beyond a certain threshold). Luc pretty much killed himself willingly, and had no intention of coming back, so it would be impossible to bring him back even if Leknaat has never revived Gremio.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Gremio was certianly worth it. Though his use may not have been as stated as Odessa or Mathieu's (who people have cancelled out being as he was still alive at the time of the revival) he was important to Tir and represented part of his reason to keep fighting. If Gremio believed in him so much that he would die (coupled with how he was devoted to Tir so much) perhaps that was a sense to Tir that he should too, though I feel since he was a mute, there was not much reason to why he went on in the first place.

Also, Odessa was important too, but mostly to Flik. And Tir, who was now in charge of the army and commanded much more respect and morale from the men of his army, probably cared more about the death of Gremio then he did about Odessa. Also, as far as I know, no Silverberg has led an army in the Suikoden games, they're strictly strategists.

Keep in mind also, that Odessa died before many of the members could remember her, and before the Liberation Army even had a legitmate footing for their army, which is not the case with Gremio. Plus, Gremio was one of the 108 stars, which was what the gathering that Konami had wanted was all about. So, why not revive Gremio? Makes perfect sense to me.

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i was thinking that it would certainly have been better if they didn't attempted to revive anyone in the first place in Suikoden 1. The revival thing only comes once, and it certainly would be so much more useful for reviving more important people in the future.

Sars Ad-Minh wrote:
Further official information is that Leknaat would not have been able to bring back people who had no will to come back to life (or went beyond a certain threshold).

*sigh* Well, that clears out the possiblity that have might occured to Jimba/Wyatt....

Well.. but it occured to me that Leknaat (Or maybe rather Murayama?) is the keeper of balance in the Suikoworld, so i guess Gremio's revival was worth it. :P
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Odessa, Ted and Glen were not stars when they died and Gremio was. It is the 108 stars together that had he power to revive him. The desire of 107 to see him again and the desire of the 108th to come back. Gremio was also a kind, loving person who gave his life willingly for the benefit of another. I think that warrants resurrection if one is possible. Granted, Odessa fits that description, too, but again, she wasn't a star.

Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Was Pahn orginally supposed to die too? in the battle with Teo McDohl?

I think its sad to have SOD die

"The Blood of the sea flows through my veins, I return to it now to be reborn" Troy
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gremio was definitely worth it, have you used him at higher levels? But storywise, he was as well. At this point, Teo is dead, and you can see Tir being disconnected frmo Cleo, Gremio was Tir's closest relative left. Bringing him back was possibly the best thing that could've been done. SOme may argue, well what about Mathiu, Odessa, or Teo, well here's why they shouldn't have been revived:

Mathiu: Even if Leknaat had not revived Gremio, and had waited until after Mathiu died, it would not be worth it to revive him. Mathiu silverberg would nothave been happy with being revived, first off. He would said something like "Well what about (Random soldier A) he had a wife and two children at home." Mathiu knew his life was over, he knew and understood the consequences of war, but most of all he ACCEPTED these things.

Odessa: She has no reason to return to life. If the afterlife exists in Suikoden (which we can guess that it does) then she's probably with Achilles. But besides that, her dream has been accomplished, eeryone is happy and free in the Toran republic, and the cause that she fought for, lived for, and died for has been championed as well as she could've done it.

Teo: Now here's where many would get stuck. Teo McDohl would've been a top notch choice for revival, however he would never have fought against Barbarosa. Not in a million lifetimes would he lift his sword against the empire. If he had been revived, he probably would've headed back to Greminster to gather up the remnants of his army, and launch another attack on the Liberation army. ANd again, besides that, he died fittingly, and he knows it. Killed in battle by his son, Teo was proud of TIr and was content with his own downfall. I doubt he would want to be revived, and I'ms ure he would've been more than happy with Leknaat's decision and the 107 wills to bring back Gremio.

In conclusion, battlewise, it was worth it to revive Gremio; storywise, ditto.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: