Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rune placements on the body
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, runes don't have to be on just your head or hands. If we're talking plausability here, runes can be just about anywhere.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fliktor wrote:
You know, runes don't have to be on just your head or hands. If we're talking plausability here, runes can be just about anywhere.

Talking about plausibility here is an argumentum ex nihilo. The games show that those three locations are the only ones available to everyone but Crowley himself, so we have no reeason to believe otherwise. It may well be that there are energy nodes or something like that in the palms and the forehead which are necessary for the coaction between body and rune.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leknaat as well does not have the her half of the gate rune on her hand or head - as far as I recall. Isn't it on her chest?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you'll find that it is on her chest, yes Fliktor.

Crowley's a bit of a special case in the scheme of things there are no runes visible on his face in his picture so his 100 runes are on the rest of his body. I'd venture a guess that they can go pretty much anywhere but the norm is hand and forehead placement. That or it's just to simplify things gameplay wise, to stick them on three static locations rather than just numbering the slots, it seems a nicer way to do it anyway.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always assumed Crowley had them all over his chest and back, and that's why he wore such large robes all the time, so no one could see all his runes. It doesn't appear to me like the average person should be able to have a rune anywhere other than the three main areas unless their hand was chopped off or something like that.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Runes are specified to those three places just to make it easier for the programmers for gameplay purposes. Anyone in the Suikoden World could attach a rune any place they desired based on preference. Actually, I would think it would be to a person's benefit to hide the rune and not put them somewhere as visible as the head and hands.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always thought attaching it to those locations granted faster activation. Don't ask my why I thought that but it just seems right.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Urn wrote:
Runes are specified to those three places just to make it easier for the programmers for gameplay purposes. Anyone in the Suikoden World could attach a rune any place they desired based on preference.

Please don't state mere opinion as fact.

And I don't see how introducing the three classic locations made it easier for the programmers at all. They could have just used three unnamed slots.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

iscalio wrote:
They could have just used three unnamed slots.

See, this is what I was getting at, while I think it's a gameplay element to use the three slots I think they were named instead of just saying Rune1, Rune2, Rune3 because it's more user friendly and gives you an indication of their general position.

I think in Suiko Reality a person could place the runes anywhere they felt like assuming they had the magical capacity to add another one.

Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was not an opinion. It is fact based from actual game evidence. The mere fact that Crowley has runes all over his body and the mere fact that Leknaat has her half of the Gate Rune on her chest all leads credence to my statement. None are opinion, but fact from the game itself. It is quite obvious that runes can be placed anywhere and were specifically made only available for the forehead and hands to simplify things for gameplay purposes. If you want to speak of facts, then please provide evidence that states otherwise because I know of none.

It makes it easier because there are less room for random variables. If they used three unnamed spots then we can assume they weren't on the body of the person invoking them at all and we know that could not be possible. They needed something players can identify with. It was just a simplification.

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Urn, I will say that the gate rune is a True Rune, it's not your average thing, they have a will and as such can probably choose to stick themselves where ever they damn well please to be honest. As to Crowley, he's also a bit of an exception as possibly the greatest magician in the world, you can't take his situation and say just because he can put a rune somewhere means anyone can, next to no one has his ability with magic, he has over 100, he can't fit all those on his hands and face so he had to improvise!

It's like saying because Windy could attach two true runes anyone can, that is simply not the case. I still think they can be attached anywhere personally but what you're claiming as fact is not in fact, fact.

Last edited by Exile on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why should I provide facts? For what? I never stated an opinion. That remark of yours doesn't make any sense.

And stating that Crowley and Leknaat prove your theory (that's what it is, a theory, and not a fact) is wrong. Both individuals are immensely powerful magicians, so their example does not necessarily represent the norm. You seem to have an odd notion of "fact" and "evidence".

EDIT: Simultaneous posting there, Phil!
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You said it was an opinion, but can provide nothing to support that. That's why I asked if you could provide evidence proving that it was shear opinion oriented. And how does the fact that Crowley and Leknaat have runes in other places all over their bodes (Crowley has runes, just regular runes, all over) prove it wrong? No theory, just plain fact. That right there is a simple fact. Who cares if they aren't simple magicians? Imade no statement about magical prowess. I simply stated that runes can be placed on other parts of the body, which is obviously true.

The fact that Leknaat and Crowley can and do have runes on other places than their head and hands is more than enough evidenve to prove that runes can in fact be placed on other places, thus making my statement a fact, not an opinion or theory. That right there is my definition of fact and evidence.

Or would you disagree? Or does the fact that those two characters have runes on other body parts elude you? Or is that not concrete enough proof for you that it is in fact possible for runes to be placed on other parts? Which would baffle me because it is evident right there. Well, unless you can provide evidence otherwise, then you are stating an opinion that is not based on fact or evidence.

I would find it hard to deny what is already clear, thus we can say it is fact that runes can be placed on other locations of the body based on the fact that there are already two characters that do in fact have runes on other places regardless of their magical prowess. I'm sure you noticed how I keep using fact and evidence. This was done in order to eliminate my weird notion of fact and evidence.

Also, the claim of magical prowess would be and could be credible aside from the fact that this cannot be proven. The fact that two people can put runes other places shows that it is possible to put runes other places than the hand and forehead. It is as simple as that. Would it not be odd to have a rune slot that says:

rh: lightning, wind, fire,rage, water..etc.

It's confusing and hard to organize. It is simple to just restrict the amount of runes and places the runes can be put for gameplay purposes. This is obvious and cannot be denied. Or would it be better for them to have a rune slot for legs, arms, ears, nose, etc. etc. for mage's who have a MGC ability over a certain point? That is another programming nightmare. They did it in order to simplify the system. There's no need to even argue about that. If one person can bear a rune on another part of the body then it is obvious that other rune bearers can.

Last edited by Urn on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Urn wrote:
Anyone in the Suikoden World could attach a rune any place they desired

Urn wrote:
I simply stated that runes can be placed on other parts of the body

The key difference here is pretty simple Urn. You originally say anyone then you use two examples of what I would call special cases and you change your wording in the replies to indicate you weren't actually talking about everyone out there and that you only meant that the fact Crowley and Leknaat can place them in other places shows they can be put anywhere.

I'm not even refuting the idea that they can be placed in other places, I'm refuting the idea that it is a fact that anyone can place them anywhere. That is not a fact. It is my opinion that they can, same as yours but it is not proven in any way this is the point that iscalio asked you for proof on and it is the point you have provided none for.

Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I stand by my statement that everyone can place them anywhere. This is not the first discussion about this topic. But, I will agree that I should not have used fact. I apologize to PF and iscalio for my stubborn behavior on that subject. But, I will say that it is obvious that they can. I will also state that I did not change my wording. I clearly state that regardless of magical prowess, the point that Crowley and Leknaat can bear runes on places other than their head and hands makes it apparent that other people should be able to do so, as well.

This is because in no way was it stated that based on magical powers does it make it so that a bearer can place a rune on a place other than the head and hands. If this was the case, then why do we not see any mentioning of Mazus with runes everywhere? He is on par with Crowley, is he not?

It is clear that it was the programmers preference and done to simplify the whole process. Runes are simply objects giving their bearers the power to use magic and appears on the skin as a tattoo. Are we seriously going to say that this tattoo can only be placed on the head and hands? Also, we have skill runes. Are we going to say that they are restricted to the hands, as well? Evidence supports the opposite. It was just more convenient to do things that way.

If we look at things realistically, it would make more sense to hide the tattoo of a rune. Would a mage want to give away what spell he or she would be able to use by having it advertized on their head and hands? No, I don't think so. Again, we see evidence that supports the fact that runes can be placed elsewhere. If this is fact, then we can assume that others can put runes elsewhere regardless of magical abilities. That is where my argument lies and I don't think that can be refuted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: