Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Final Fantasy VI (no spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Final Fantasy VI (no spoilers) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AKA Final Fantasy III in the US.
Considering the game, this is more than likely to be a repeat if the age median is a tad above 18...

I really just wanted to go fanboy for a little bit.
Now, the first FF I played was Final Fantasy VII, and I was hooked. I thought it rocked. It was superb. The music was amazing. The storyline drew me in. The hero was twisted. The bad guy was twisted. Who the hell was the good guy, and are we sure we're not the bad guy? Huh? What?.. Anyway, it was nice. But, I beat it five or six times and got bored (yes, it is possible, once everyone has their ultimate weapon and ultimate limit break, even Aeris, and everyone has a master materia of every type.. except Aeris.. to get bored).
Then came FF VIII, FF IX and FF X.. And then FF X-2. Now, I think those mostly sucked except for X, which I loved again. But I'll never fully beat it because capturing monsters is a chore.

This is the background, to tell you I'm not a common FF fanboy.

Anyway, I started playing FF VI recently, and got hooked very, very fast. I'm only a few hours into the game, but I'm amazed at the amount of playing characters there are (the last one I met was Gau). The music is sweet. The graphics are.. Well.. SNES... But there is so much included in this game, most characters have some specific battle technique, so it's fun to use them all and it's not repetitive, as it gets to be when you can just exchange characters and put the same materia setup and voila, same character...
The story is just intricate enough, even though it has one major question mark in the background, towards which we are slowly moving, i.e., how come she can use magic? (this is not a spoiler)

/fanboy off

Just wanted to say I was very incredibly pleased with that game and it should be somewhere up there, around where the standard for RPGs should be.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Then you should try FF IV, or FF2 in the states. The story line is also as good, or if not better. There are also a bunch of characters, but they do come and go. The original FF is great also. No real character development, but the gane is very good, and very hard.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I just got done playing it yesterday. It was a repeat play through and I still find that it's missing something. Maybe it's what I really always disliked about FF games is that the characters have no real strength or weakness which kind gives characters a lack of depth. And I always felt the story was somewhat lacking but then again it was a SNES game so not alot of space to work with.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem with FF4 is that the storyline becomes completely silly near the end of the game. For me, it ruined everything I had done, but it was still fun to play. it seemed to set the template that other FF's would come to use the later on.

And yes, FF6 is one of the best games out there. The music is beautiful and extremely fitting of the barren world that it is placed in. The only problem that I have with it is that most characters have become much too alien due to the exaltion of hundreds of fans out there. No really, Terra and Celes aren't the revolutionary female characters that every other female character was based on, and so on. I hate it when fan's imaginations take rpg characters to the extreme and derive them of their simple roots...
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Final Fantasy 6 was one of, if not the best Final Fantasy so far. I liked the story, and the characters, the music, and how the plot branches off at the second half (Anyone that's beaten it would know what I mean). I agree with St. Ajora about the music, how it was really well done. I liked the villian (Who doesn't like a good psycho?) and the villian's theme :mrgreen: Overall I jsut think it was the best, and will always have fond memories for me (Right up there with Suikoden 2, and Shadow Hearts in my book).
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, FF VI, has I've mentioned in another thread, has an absolutely unheard of scene (opera), some strong minded, other totally flat and many steriotype characters that fill the game very well (Go, Go Moogle, Dance!) and one of the greatest battle system in RPG. The story is simply amazing, the music is the best ever in any game and the graphics were the best... on SNES :D .
But, anyway, if you're not obcessed with graphics, than (in good ol' APA's Bradshaw style) Play or Fight!

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, how can anyone like this game? It is one of the worst I have ever played. Not really. If I thought that way, why would I put it in my name? Sorry for the bad joke.

FF6 was the first rpg I had played. I was 10 and wondered why my guys weren't moving when I fought and what the crazy numbers (HP/MP) were. Yeah, I was a genious kid, what can I say? I was taken in by the characters and story. I was floored by being able to use all those characters and the story was infinitely better than the games I was playing before (like mario & mega man). Run and blast vs rpg story, come one. Once the disillusionment settled in, I still adored it. The music and so on didn't catch my eye...or ear, rather, right away, but nowadays I sometimes let battles drag on just to listen. It's still my favorite game.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't played this game in almost a year... but that battle tune... it's still stuck in my head. ^_^ The opera scene is classic, the whole game is classic. FFVI is by far the best FF out there (in my opinion). Plus the animation in that game is pretty beautiful, for those who can appreciate the old-school 16 bit graphics, those were some of the best. Anything else I could say about the story, characters, and music has already been said too many times... so why repeat it, all you need to know is this game is awesome. ;)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FFVI was superb. It had excellent music and a good storyline. The numerous characters allowed the player many options (without getting too complicated). FFVI is one of the best ones out there. There were also many things that could be done to make the game harder for the veterans. Low level and fast playthroughs are good examples. I've never done one of those, but I have an Australian friend who is a FFVI god. He's realy good.

Just a question. Has anyone tried to complete the game and tried to take as few steps as possible?
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too much trouble, it's better to have all Gau's possible attacks.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge - Nope, but I did use the Celes 99 Level Trick on the rafts before the World of Ruin - that made the rest of the game MUCH quicker when using the Golden Feather.

FFVI is a genius game, though I think the only downside it has is that it starts off a little slow. It picks up after the first few hours, but before that I think the story is a little tired. Thankfully there are enough characters and twists to make the game amazing.

Not that I did, but did anyone ever fall for the "Resurecting General Leo Trick" joke?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never heard of that trick. Is it like the FFVII Aeris revival joke?
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It involved going to the the small triangle (ish - it's been a while) Island in the corner to fight a lot of Behemoth's. Randomally you can fight T-rex's on the Island, and if you kill 100 of them, you get a sword or something. Take it to Leo's grave and he's resurected.

Of course...I was never young or stupid and I never fell for such an obvious ploy.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh well i can't say much, that no one else said. it was touching and I fed Cid (Cid right?)lots of bad fish, In Played the PSX version and messed up, then I emulated it (wow they did some changes in names and language???eeep bad Americans) and well, fixed my problem there. I forget my qualms I had, really I did., save for some of those superpowerd monsters that, shouldn't be where they were...or collecting attacks for Gau. The characters and their stories were great, Shaodow's dream/memory sequences gave some intersting history.

The auction house was kind of fun, and I was a looser at the collusiem. I tryed to get all those extra characters because I read about them.

but I recall reading once, somone was crying on how hard the final battle was to fight, I had very little problems during the final fight, the last part a little, but otherwise I plowed torugh it. the same with Luca Blight's battle, got it in a second shot(bad stragity)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The battle music agaisnt Kefka was amazing.

If anyone has the chance, listen to "Dancing Mad" by the Black Mages.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: