Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most/Least Favorite Types of Characters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Most/Least Favorite Types of Characters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are hundreds upon thousands of characters in all series known, whether it's a high-quality anime that's heard everywhere or a terrible John Waters movie that can only be found underground. Within those thousands of characters, you gain your tastes for certain types of personalities, and loathing of others. Which kinds of character personalities do you like, and which ones are ones you can do without?

- Villains with a good reason to do what they do, or act the way they are. It allows me to think about who they are, instead of just classifying them as a 1980s nutcase baddie. Losing a mother seems to be very popular for guys to go bad, like for Luca, Laharl, Gaara, Gaspard, and so forth. I can't say what makes females go bad, since I haven't seen too many of them.

- Take-no-crap characters who know how to say no, and aren't afraid to beat up whoever disagrees. What they say has to have me rolling in laughter at their sheer defiance. Naruto fits the bill entirely. Too bad there aren't too many of these characters.

- Quiet characters who don't need to say much, yet when they speak, their words have a lot more meaning than a chatterbox's words. I haven't watched the whole Galaxy Angel series yet, but from what I've seen, Vanilla hasn't said anything, yet her actions are the most boldest and cutest.

DISLIKE

- I, for one, can't stand one-dimensional villains. It's excusable if I play older games or watch older anime, but this is 2005, not 1985. I want depth to my villains, not some bishie-looking nobody who magically decides that he wants to conquer/destroy the world for no apparent reason, AND who has a cheap laugh tagged to them.

- Hopeless romantics tick me off. A girl who can do nothing but give reason to the hero's motivation to save her, or girls who are intentionally useless because they're female, drives me crazy. At least let her have SOME capabilities, like how Hayao Miyazaki does to his leading ladies! Rinoa is, to me, the worst case for this.

- Different from hopeless romantics, boy-crazy and girl-crazy types just aren't my thing. I still can't understand what 'cool' and 'hot' mean when it comes to describing a guy passing by on the street.

- Bubble-headed, but cares for their friends. PLEASE! How many shows have this kind of character!?

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hm, I'm always seemingly drawn to the strong silent types, I don't know 100% why that is but it's possibly because I'm not the quickest to open my mouth myself. I can feel some sort of association with them perhaps, even if in all honesty I'm not so much the fit in the strong part of that character type!

Dislikes...childish characters, they (almost) always wind me up something ridiculous. Even the suikoden children generally annoy the heck out of me and I love Suikoden so it's worse in other games/anime.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm typically fond of characters like Geddoe and Auron. They're hiding something, which intrigues me; they are strong; wise; and take no crap. It also has to do with the experience factor (see last paragraph).

I only like the silent type if there's a good reason for them being silent (trauma, no tongue, etc). It also has to add depth to his/her character or it's not worth it. If they're silent just so the game/show can have a "quiet character" then I despise them with a passion.

The reluctant hero is getting old. The stereotypical "I have the power, but I don't want to use it for X reason" gets on my nerves. The "hidden power" characters also annoy me. I mean, just when something horrible's about to happen, this power "awakens" and everyone lives happily ever after. Not much of a character type, sorry. [/rant]

The boy/girl-crazy and hopeless romantics, as Benit put it, are definitely on my dislike list. But in the defense of the "must save the princess" campaign, we all know that when one grabs a female's upper arm, she becomes totally defenseless. (It's a joke)

I detest young heroes as well. No offense to anyone, but since when does a 13-year old have the capacity to save the world/universe/city/whatever? If this happened every once in a while, I might be fine with it. However, heroes always seem to float around in the 13-18 year old range. It just doesn't seem feasible to me. It's not so much the physical aspect, but these characters seem more mature than someone three times their age. That just doesn't happen as often as games/shows portray. Personally, I think they set the age thusly just to use school as a setting. [/opinionated rate #2]

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most Favorite:
-The Stupid, take action before thinking type: This is what i most relate to.
-The cool, silent but hiding something and also strong type: Yes, people like Geddoe and Auron amaze me. I'm really happy that Auron's gonna be in the party for Kingdom Hearts 2.
-The Sacrificial Jizo Type:Dunno, but the thought of sacrificing your own life to save others seems very heroic to me.
-Misunderstanded villains: Hard to figure them, but you put pity on them.
-The Villain:Being a villain is cool, netherless.(Is this right?)

Most Hated:
-The Hopeless Romantic/Boy Crazy/Girl Crazy Type:Too boring. Except for Spicy from Arc The Lad 3, though. I put pity on him.
-The Stereotypical hero:The "I have hidden powers bla bla bla yada yada yada"," i'm the only one who can save the world"," no matter what i still save the day"," i can't die", it's getting boring.
-The Silent Suikoden hero: I hate silent heroes! Why can't they talk, darn it! They're always out of words!
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'm typically fond of characters like Geddoe and Auron. They're hiding something, which intrigues me; they are strong; wise; and take no crap. It also has to do with the experience factor (see last paragraph).

Yes, those guys are good. Sol Badguy makes the cut for me as well. He may use raging fire in his attacks, but he actually doesn't say much except what's important. He's definitely got experience and something to hide.

Quote:
If they're silent just so the game/show can have a "quiet character" then I despise them with a passion.

Precisely why I can't stand ninjas. Period.

Quote:
I detest young heroes as well. No offense to anyone, but since when does a 13-year old have the capacity to save the world/universe/city/whatever?

Yes, our heroes are getting younger and younger these days. Just look at the heroes for Square games. Back in FF7, Cloud was 21. FF8, Squall was 17, FF9 with 16-year old Zidane, then FFX with Tidus at 17, and even Yuna was 19 in FFX-2. Kingdom Hearts? Sora's 14, Kairi's 14, and Riku's 15. A sad, sad trend indeed for Square. It may be for the Disney setting, but saving the universe before you hit puberty poses a problem for me.

Quote:
It just doesn't seem feasible to me. It's not so much the physical aspect, but these characters seem more mature than someone three times their age.

Riku fits the bill. He acts more like a bad soap opera villain than a 15-year old kid.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Adrian Magicent

Ever-Nameless, For It's Mysterious

528 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I seem to be one of the only people who likes some of these types. But, then, I'm really not very selective about these things, and just go based off each character. But, I really like truly skilled swordsmen, mysterious character, vampires, and characters who epitimize their archetype or really bring something interesting or new. What I dislike are heroes who are foolish and have no understanding of others, characters who sacrifice themselve foolishly or needlessly, space-filling characters, and the overly-reluctant.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

-Characters that strategize and scheme. Preferably main characters, since villains always do that.

-Strong female leads or love interests. They don't need to be butch or anything, just not so... needy.

-Tragic characters. Characters that have never known good luck or happy times. I can always root for the downtrodden.

Dislike
-Heroines that rely on the hero. For God's sake, get a hold of yourself if you want to participate in this adventure.

-Heroes that love eating and sleeping, and can't detect when the heroine wants to do him dirty. Am I alone in this?

-Catgirls. Yes, I understand that some people like that. I don't. Make a tragic catgirl, though, and you may have created the most unique character of all time.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
-Heroes that love eating and sleeping, and can't detect when the heroine wants to do him dirty. Am I alone in this?

-Catgirls. Yes, I understand that some people like that. I don't. Make a tragic catgirl, though, and you may have created the most unique character of all time.

Amen.

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

-Silent, cool, badass more than 20 years characters (they are the badass of the badasses)
-Uncapable of thinking characters, that go head on against the enemy without thinking of the consequences
-Strategists and the like, that do those nobody-know-how-they-think-that plans
-Kenny

Dislikes:
The rest

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
-Silent, cool, badass more than 20 years characters (they are the badass of the badasses)

You mean possibly, maybe, per chance, someone like Solid Snake? I mean that's a total guess on the kind of character you're going for Fundertaker but it sounds like a character you might like, a bit. Kind of. ;)

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Oh yeah, hands down. Catgirls are overused and annoying, mostly either for comic relief or to make the title popular (Felicia anyone?). Hell, even a catboy like Leon from SO2 is original.

Quote:

Again, like Sol Badguy. Or even Spike Spiegel. 8-)

Quote:
-Tragic characters. Characters that have never known good luck or happy times. I can always root for the downtrodden.

Ashton Anchors! He's one of those original characters that lots of people like, even so far as making not-so-original characters of their own and writing them as love interests in fanfics. Too bad he was dumbed down as comic relief in the anime.

Oh, another type of hero I can't stand are the REALLY dumb ones who can't get the hint that the heroine loves him. Worse are those ones who have no idea they're caught in a love triangle. They're like, "Hey Heroine, why did you hit me? I was just being nice to her!" Examples are Dart from Legend of Dragoon and Klein from Atelier Iris.

Omni

Champions of Grassland

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like-People who talk with there sword or fist.

Dislike-The "spunky" characters (i.e annoying)
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The nice, quiet characters (don't nescessarily rely on the hero, just aren't as loud and obnoxious) Example, Fia (Riviera: The Promised Land), Culotte (La Pucelle: Tactics)

The silent magicians (Luc) and the ditzy girls (Viki)

DISLIKE

The stupid story types, for example the vampire muscleman in Shadow Hearts 2, I hate those types of characters.
the violent one

Homedogs

1000 Potch
5 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like-The silent badass, the best friend traitor

Dislike-The annoying character, the animal/human character
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Character types I like
-The kid with hussle, or the light-hearted hero character. Think Rock Lee, Zidane Tribal, Aladdin, or Daisuke Motomiya. Kind of a never-give-up, always got an ace up their sleeve type. Can adapt to new situations rapidly and is always capable of dealing with opponents, even opponents who are by all means much more powerful than they are. Like Rock fighting Gaara, or Zidane dealing with Kuja. It's essential that this character also be comletely chilled most of the time. It's good to have a character, especially a hero, who's not your standard silent badass type. Of course, when done wrong, this character can easily get out of hand. Generally, though, I like these guys.

-The confused or insane type. Hudson from Aliens, Capt. Jack from POTC, Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Lucas from Empire Records, or Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters. People who as a rule are completely ignorant to what's going on and couldn't care less about it.

-Evil, bitter, spiteful jerks. The kind of badguy who just makes you want to punch someone in the face. Iago from Othello, Gorudo from Suikoden II, Kane from Vandal Hearts, Myotismon from Digimon. You know the type. Whether or not he has a reason for being evil becomes irrelevant, this guy is just that evil. So evil that when you see him you just go berserk and want to kill him. I mean, Myotismon killed Wizardmon! What an asshole!

Characers I dislike
-Strong silent badass types. Boooooooring. Cloud from FF7, Auron from FF10, and all those other boring losers. They just don't come across as interesting to me, because they're locked in this silent thing, so they can't develop as a character. They've got THE ANGST. This is forgivable in kids, I guess, like Digimon's Matt, because they're just stupid kids. But when Auron the 40-something year old dood is still cutting himself off from the world it gets boring. That's why I always loved the scene in Digimon when Tai pummels the crap out of Matt. Gives him his come-uppence, and it's gooooood.

-Useless female characters. Most of the character types I've mentioned I've referred only to male characters, but for pretty much all of those women can fit the bill perfectly well. But this category is just for those waste of space Damsel-in-Distress types. Sakura of Naruto comes to mind first. She's completely useless, I don't know what Rock sees in her. Kairi from Kingdom Hearts never does a thing worth doing (except give Sora the Oathkeeper). Oh, sure, she was catatonic for two thirds of the game, but whatever. Same goes for Namine. Sibyl Vane from The Portrait of Dorian Gray. She's in the book for like, two chapters, and every second was excrutiating and pathetic. omg book spoilerz- She's head over heels in love with Dorian the whole time, even though she's never even learned his name. She agrees to marry him. Then Dorian gets bored of her, and says he never wants to see her again. Her reaction? Suicide! Kills herself right then and there. 16 years old, or something. In the words of Psycho Mantis, "useless woman!" One of the reasons I like Shakespeare is because nearly all of his female characters don't take crap from nobody, so there are very few of this type of character.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: