Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Xeno Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ranadiel wrote:

I don't blame you. I just get frustrated because I have read so much bogus stuff about how people think that game five in this series will be Xenogears when there is absolutely nothing that indicates that at the moment. I tend to get excited whenever I see someone say something about that. I guess it is just a pet peeve. All you did was post some info that you didn't understand the meaning of, so you weren't able to give an explanation which caused a little bit of confusion. No big deal.

That's shitty though. Here I was looking forward to playing through the past 10000 years and then this. I am so not buying Xenosaga ep 2 now. THanks for the heads up, you saved me 50 bucks.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, most excelent... after all this disscussion over the subject, I was able to find my favorite Xenogears shrine/speculation shelter, much like Suikox is to Suikoden. It is known as Guardian Angels.

The Creator (I believe a female, not that it matters.), owns a copy of the PW, and will translate it and uses material from it constantly. It is by far, the largest and most correct Xenogears website that is in English that I have seen, at least.

Being a bit of a perfectionist, she calls the characters by thier Japanese names after romanization, (i.e: Id becomes Ido; Citan becomes Shitan, as the Japanese have no 'C' pronounciation, but that isn't what's on topic) so it's a little...eccentric at first, but it's still very good.

Guardian Angels Linky :3

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I linked that like, way back. I don't find their information very efficient or descriptive. They just assume that everyone knows what's going on, and then they start popping in words and names that are unfamiliar, and then never use them again.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

One magazine in my country tried to disscuss the storyline with adding every single bit of information known and it took them about 5-6 editions to finish it. One edition had 5-6 pages about it.

I don't think that they could get every single detail about the Xenogears storyline in that little of coverage. Perfect Works is over 300 pages long. That has every single detail known about Xenogears.

Quote:

That's shitty though. Here I was looking forward to playing through the past 10000 years and then this. I am so not buying Xenosaga ep 2 now. THanks for the heads up, you saved me 50 bucks.

Please tell me that you are being sarcastic here. The game is still good. The story is getting to the point where it is almost(if not already) on par with Xenogears. I really think you should reconsider not getting it if you were being serious.

Quote:

(i.e: Id becomes Ido;

Not to nit pick(or maybe to) , but Id is referred to as Idin the romanization in PW. However you are right about Citan being Shitan. I took a quick peek at that site. It looks decent. It has a slightly different idea of some of the events(so either me or the site is wrong). I personally prefer gamefaqs, but this does have images which is nice.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ranadiel wrote:

Please tell me that you are being sarcastic here. The game is still good. The story is getting to the point where it is almost(if not already) on par with Xenogears. I really think you should reconsider not getting it if you were being serious.

Yes I am serious. I wanted to play out the xeno timeline, not something indirectly related to xenogears. Basically, if I want to read a bunch of dialogue, I'll go pick up a book. I've heard ep 1 and 2 are even more chatty than xenogears. So that coupled with the not-a-prequel thing, really makes me not want to play it anymore :(
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally find more than half the people at GameFAQs to be rather crass and incredibly shortsighted, compared to the wonderful people here. (at least, in the few peaks that I take in the forums over there are filled with them) They don't know what they're talking about, and don't have the common decency to use correct spelling and sometimes leave out critical pieces of structure out of their sentences, like oh, spacing between words.

And I'm not outright attacking everyone at GameFAQs, and I'm not trying to be a gramar/spelling Nazi here. I'm just saying that of the few times that I've looked into the forums looking for inteligent discussion on the game I'm researching on, all I see is "omgsftun00blolwtfbbqkthxbi!!1!1one", and it really leaves a poor impression on me. I could have looked at those on the low end of the intelligence spectrum those few times and missed the higher end, but I doubt it.

In summary: Using GameFAQs as a tool for walkthroughs and helpful tips: Good.
Looking for bright, inteligent minds in GameFAQs for discussion: Not so good.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GameFAQS is filled with idiots.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Yes I am serious. I wanted to play out the xeno timeline, not something indirectly related to xenogears. Basically, if I want to read a bunch of dialogue, I'll go pick up a book. I've heard ep 1 and 2 are even more chatty than xenogears. So that coupled with the not-a-prequel thing, really makes me not want to play it anymore

Xenosaga is very likely still an unofficial prequel to Xenogears. It should be taking place at the timeframe right before the opening movie of Xenogears. If I remember what you said earlier, you have Xenosaga Episode 1. I think you should at least try it if you already have it. However that is your decision.

Quote:

I personally find more than half the people at GameFAQs to be rather crass and incredibly shortsighted, compared to the wonderful people here. (at least, in the few peaks that I take in the forums over there are filled with them) They don't know what they're talking about, and don't have the common decency to use correct spelling and sometimes leave out critical pieces of structure out of their sentences, like oh, spacing between words.

And I'm not outright attacking everyone at GameFAQs, and I'm not trying to be a gramar/spelling Nazi here. I'm just saying that of the few times that I've looked into the forums looking for inteligent discussion on the game I'm researching on, all I see is "omgsftun00blolwtfbbqkthxbi!!1!1one", and it really leaves a poor impression on me. I could have looked at those on the low end of the intelligence spectrum those few times and missed the higher end, but I doubt it.

In summary: Using GameFAQs as a tool for walkthroughs and helpful tips: Good.
Looking for bright, inteligent minds in GameFAQs for discussion: Not so good.

Well when I made my comment about Gamefaqs I was talking about the fact that there is a really good translation of Perfect Works avaliable there. There also is a good guide mentioning refrences between Xenogears and Xenosaga. There are a lot of people there who do act like idiots, which has gotten worse since merging with Gamespot. However I have had some of my more interesting discussions about Xenosaga. For example on the Xenosaga Episode 2 board there was a realy interesting discussion over who the fourth horeseman was in the game.

PirateSigurd

Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have beat Xenogears,Xenosaga episodes 1 and II, I have episode I, havent brought II yet though, theyre pretty good games, only thing that ticks me off is they messed up the storyline that it doesnt take place in the same universe, now does that make sense? >_> howthe hell do they suppose Xenogears will fit in with the plot?

"The Blood of the sea flows through my veins, I return to it now to be reborn" Troy
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

PirateSigurd wrote:
I have beat Xenogears,Xenosaga episodes 1 and II, I have episode I, havent brought II yet though, theyre pretty good games, only thing that ticks me off is they messed up the storyline that it doesnt take place in the same universe, now does that make sense? >_> howthe hell do they suppose Xenogears will fit in with the plot?

Xenogears and Xenosaga were made by two completely different companies: Monolith (-saga) and Squaresoft, now known as Square-Enix (-gears)

Because Monolith never got official word from Square-Enix to make a game in the series of Xenogears, Xenosaga is not directly involved in the hapenings of Xenogears.

Take this for example: Suppose someone else decided to make Star Wars Ep.1 before Ep.1 came out. And that someone else was not Mr. Lucas, nor did they have the OK to make Ep.1, so instead, they make a bastardized, sloppy rendition of Ep.1 where there are some small similarities and some glaring differences between the original and the knockoff. (and as a result, Mr. Lucas sues the pants off of the creator of said knockoff.)

Question: Would you consider said knockoff a Star Wars movie? Of course not. It's basically the same thing as the Xenosaga/gears difference.

I believe that sums things up rather nicely.

Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That example is okay, but it doesn't go into the fine details. The problem with your example is that Xenosaga and Xenogears were mostly made by the same people. After Xenogears was made a large number of the people who worked on it quit Square and formed Monolith. So to alter your example a little bit, a better example would be if Lucas and his creative team were to quit Lucasfilms and then form a new company which made the new episode 1.

Quote:

only thing that ticks me off is they messed up the storyline that it doesnt take place in the same universe, now does that make sense?

Well according to the time frame presented in Perfect Works, the universe would be the same if they were connected. The only reason that it seems that they are different is that there are 10k years for humanity to be nearly wiped out across the entire universe except for a handful and then they repopulate a planet after losing a lot of technology.

Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have any of you seen this? I loved flipping thru this entire thing. If you haven't enjoy.
www.xradicaldreamers.net/xenoverse/
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for that, but the rarity of the real thing has my collector's blood boiling, I will eventually possess it for whatever price *polishes army knife*.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed Arenegeth, I too will aquire the Perfect Works as well, to expand my ever-growing collection of 'large books from games that I really enjoy to look at', as I have the Genso Suikoden one already :3

Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a shame the Xenogears Perfect Works book is in Japanese, I would have loved to read everything in that book. :cry:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: