Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Xeno Games
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: The Xeno Games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm actually playing Xenogears for the first time in my life *swoon*. My overall opinion of it is that it's a game ahead of its time. Not to mention that I'm totally and utterly confused by everything and that I could not resist a peek at a couple plot analysis, but wow. Xenogears doesn't seem like a game to me at all- that's just the other stuff. It's like gears is this complicated and rich storyline that got cast off as being game- almost like the gameplay is holding it back. But make no mistake I love the gameplay =D Not too much emphasis, which I like. Although I can name many games that I have enjoyed a lot more than Xenogears, I look forward to completing it and moving on with Xenosaga, which i bought a few months ago, and then ep II, which I will rush out and buy tomorrow after work.

Anyway I know I'm rambling, but I'll also ask, did anyone make sense of the storyline, almost completely, the first time that they played? I'm absolutely enthralled by it so far. I heard that the sagas are more like novels (well so is gears, in a sense) and once again, the gameplay takes a backseat to the storyline. Normally this would annoy me to no end but I'm kind of looking forward to it...
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I won't lie and say I got the complete the story the first play through. There's a lot of complex issues and topics that the game addresses. I knew and understood most of the psychological terms that were thrown in, but alot of the concepts deal with Nietche and many other terms that would need a doctorate in physics to break down. But, I loved the story and the fact that it makes you think about all sorts of topics.

The fact that they throw in various religious terms and themes just makes the story even more intriguing. You will definitely enjoy all three games and look forward to Xenosaga Episode 3..they have a voice actor already, so a release for the game seems to certain. Which pleases me because there was a lot of concern whether they would stop the series or not.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was actually playing xenogears before I flew out here to Cali for the summer. The story has confused the heck out of me, especially the part I'm at. I played episode I before xenogears and thought that it was a good game. I don't remember much of the story details though since I finished it quite some time ago. I do remember that there were many times when it looked much more like a cg movie than a game and this annoyed me at some points due to the length of a few of those scenes. But there are also several points when it's just you running around killing things. Not disappointing by any means, IMO.

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does Xenogears have anything to do with Xenosaga?
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Officially there is no connection between Xenogears and Xenosaga because they are made by different companies(but not people). However any person with a couple of brain cells that has beaten Xenosaga episode one and Xenogears can tell that the developers of Xenosaga intended for them them to be related. Although they have changed the back story a little bit from the original conception shown in Xenogears: Perfect Works.

I at least like to think that I made complete sense of the plot on my first play through. However I think I might have read some of the stuff online before I actually started playing it.I can't remember for sure. Although on my second playthrough(which was after I played Xenosaga) I noticed a probable connection between the two games through one of the bosses.

Also I think that Xenosaga could very easily end up becoming a much more interesting and complex story then Xenogears is. While I despised the battle system of Episode II, they deepened the story of the story a great deal. They revealed several interesting plot points along with some really cool mechs(in the ending). So yeah I love this series.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, I absolutely adore Xenogears (Xenosaga, not so much, but it's not horrible) because it is hands down, the biggest psychological mind-trip that you will ever experience. The game has so much story to it, that I don't even call it a game anymore. It's more like a graphic novel to me, with some gameplay thrown in to satisfy the masses. ("Oh, tired of reading, are we? Here, enter this tournament. :3") I enjoyed everything about the game: the story, the characters and their development, the battle system, et cetera. There are certain events in the game that I will always keep with me, like when you learn about just who the hell Id really is. (When I saw the CG of Id's gear transforming, I nearly died)

To answer St. Ajora's question, not exactly. This is a game that if you really want to get the full experience, you'll need to play it twice at least. There are so many things in the beginning that they hint to, and blatantly show, that by the time they are answered late onto the 2nd disk, you've completely forgotten about it. Even the Opening anime cutscene bears the utmost relevance to the story, in fact, I'd say it's the most important part.

Oh yeah, Kahn kicks ass! :3

[EDIT:]
Ranadiel wrote:
Officially there is no connection between Xenogears and Xenosaga because they are made by different companies(but not people). However any person with a couple of brain cells that has beaten Xenosaga episode one and Xenogears can tell that the developers of Xenosaga intended for them them to be related.

Actually, I think I heard that Xenogears is the equivalant of the fifth or sixth episode of the 'Saga series'. Or maybe who ever I heard it from was just blowing smoke up my ass. (¬.¬);

As a side note, I need to aquire the PW and master the Japanese language, so I won't need to translate it. (I know enough and have the tools to translate it, but it would be ludicris to try...it's like trying to translate the freaking bible (-_-);

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.

Last edited by Raze on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Actually, I think I heard that Xenogears is the equivalant of the fifth or sixth episode of the 'Saga series'. Or maybe who ever I heard it from was just blowing smoke up my ass. (¬.¬);

The person that told you that wasn't just making stuff up. That person was either misinformed or jumping to conclusions that aren't substantiated. Basically this belief stems from the fact that Xenogears is the fifth game in a hypothetical series that was never made(but were discussed in Perfect Works). Now then some people are making the assumption that Xenosaga Episode 1 is the first game in that series(and 2 is the second game). Following this logic Xenogears is the fifth game in the series which will eventually be remade.

However there are two very large problems with this logic. The first, most obvious one, is that Monolith, despite having a large number of Xenogear's producers, does not have the rights to the Xenogears game. Therefore they are unable to make the games officialy connect(lthough everyone can tell they do).

The second problem is that the time frame is completely wrong for that logic based off of the information provided by Perfect Works. I can't remember all the details(and I don't have time to look it up), but basically according to Perfect Works the assumed time frame for both Xenosaga Episode 1 and 2 would be just before Episode 2 of the Gears series takes place. Now then that means they have to move several thousnad years into the future in order to be able to get to the time frame of Xenogears before episode 5. When I have more time(assuming there is still interest in this) I will look the specific dates up.

Quote:

As a side note, I need to aquire the PW and master the Japanese language, so I won't need to translate it. (I know enough and have the tools to translate it, but it would be ludicris to try...it's like trying to translate the freaking bible (-_-);

I have a copy. :D However I can't understand any of it. It has really nice art in it though. However if you want a translation there is one avaliable(I believe) on Gamefaqs.

St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They are classified as unofficial sequels.

Taken from http://guardian.leamonde.net/history/index.shtml

Episode I - the era of human expansion, the discovery of Zohar, and the creation of Deus.
Episode II - the crash of the Eldridge and the birth of Miang. Cain and the Gazel, Abel and Elly.
Episode III - the era of technology and war, and the creation of Emeralda.
Episode IV - The Solaris War; Sophia, Lacan, Krelian, and the Diablos conflict.
Episode V - the war between Aveh and Kislev, Krelian's plans, and the events of the game
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played Xenogears after Xenosaga so I haven't really paid much attention to Xenosaga's details. After looking back, I do see some stuff that's connected. I do have a few questions, though, assuming that this timeline is actually true for the most part.

Episode 1 = So it says that Deus was created in Episode 1. But I can't seem to remember any type of weapon created that can classify as Dues-like. The only notable weapon I can think of (that was developed in this game) is KOS-MOS. Unless, of course, I missed something.

Episode 2 - I don't plan on getting this game until it drops greatly in price. But with a yes or no answer. (No spoilers please) Does are any of the events mentioned in the timeline covered in Xenosaga 2?

Edit: Yeap. Didn't make the connection. Whoops on my part.

Last edited by Cedric on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*slams forehead on table reapeatedly* Sometimes I wonder if anyone listens to me. I'm just going to assume that you read my post Ced, but didn't make the connection. The five episodes in St. Ajora are five of the six proposed in Xenogears Perfect Works which are not the same as the Xenosaga episodes. The first episode takes place either 500 or 5000 years(forgot which) before the events of Xenosaga Episode 1. Then the events listed under Episode 2 should take place either during the entire collection of Xenosaga games or shortly afterwards(we have yet to see).

Quote:

They are classified as unofficial sequels.

Technically wouldn't it be prequals?

St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahhh. See, no one seems to bother to explain that. Xeno analysis' are either too complicated or lacking too much information for me to understand. So don't blame me if I don't understand, I haven't even completed xenogears yet :P
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played Xenogears back in the day soon after is US release, and that is surprising since back then it wasn't easy to play US games, and it was the first and only US game of its era that I played around release, for those who don't know Xenogears never got released in Europe, not that the Xenosaga Episodes did but just to make it known.

Now when I played Xenogears I didn't even know the English language very well, but I still got the gist of the story or at least I think I did, very interesting RPG had many things I liked, but the second disc caught me off guard even if I was expecting some change and I was training, the hardest battle I had in the game was the one against the gear of that woman with the glasses that name I forget, Mikoto something, anyway I have been meaning to replay the game for some time now since I managed to get it in my possession at the end of 2003 (a friend gave it to me to play back in the day and a friend of his gave it to him) but haven't found the time yet.

Now I'm irritated because the Episodes didn't get a release either in Europe and I have to import them too, so I will try to find my time for this series, I have to say that some of the themes on Xenogears were unique for an RPG and I would like to explore the series to the limit, and now I found out about this Perfect Works, book whatever it is, though I'm guessing only in Japanese I will look for it and when I eventually learn the language to get more accounted with the story...

Ah I wish I had more time in this world to spend on more games, but alas I don't...
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This entire series is complicated in a way that we might not understand. One thing you have to notice is the fact that the connections in Xenosaga to Xenogears are so obvious. I am sure that Squaresoft would know this already, thus if they didnt agree to let Monolith run with it, even if it means a remake of their game. Heck i would not be at all surprised if they decide to do a co-production remake of Xenogears for episode 5.

They dont need to follow the timeline really if they keep adding elements and surprises into the Xenosaga series which adds in to everything else. Then again Xenosaga on it's own is pretty good to so I wouldnt be dissappointed to see them stay on their own.

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

So don't blame me if I don't understand, I haven't even completed xenogears yet

I don't blame you. I just get frustrated because I have read so much bogus stuff about how people think that game five in this series will be Xenogears when there is absolutely nothing that indicates that at the moment. I tend to get excited whenever I see someone say something about that. I guess it is just a pet peeve. All you did was post some info that you didn't understand the meaning of, so you weren't able to give an explanation which caused a little bit of confusion. No big deal.

Quote:

and now I found out about this Perfect Works, book whatever it is, though I'm guessing only in Japanese I will look for it

Good luck to you in finding it. Sadly it is an out of print book in high demmand here in America among Xenogears fanatics. It took me several years of on and off searching before I managed to get ahold of one. I think I got it for only 50 dollars off of ebay using buy it now. However a few weeks earlier I had been involved in a bidding war for a copy that got up into 200 dollars. So if you are going to be looking for a copy ebay is probably your best chance unless you know a really good importer. Oh and yeah it was only printed in Japanese.

Quote:

One thing you have to notice is the fact that the connections in Xenosaga to Xenogears are so obvious. I am sure that Squaresoft would know this already, thus if they didnt agree to let Monolith run with it, even if it means a remake of their game.

I'm sure that Square-Enix tried to do something about Xenosaga, but the developers have changed the originaly planned storyline.

Quote:

Heck i would not be at all surprised if they decide to do a co-production remake of Xenogears for episode 5.

I would be incredibly suprised if this were to happen since Monolith was founded, according to rumor, to get away from Square. Also there is the whole fact that if they were to make a remake they would have about 10000 years left to cover in only two episodes. At the rate that they are currently going I really doubt they will be able to pull that off.

Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, anything's possible.
The Xeno series is very, very complicated. One magazine in my country tried to disscuss the storyline with adding every single bit of information known and it took them about 5-6 editions to finish it. One edition had 5-6 pages about it. They found lotsa-lotsa things and speculations. And stuffs containing religious contect and such. Even after i've read it a few times...
I STILL DON'T GET THE FREAKIN' STORYLINE.

Raze wrote:
It's more like a graphic novel to me, with some gameplay thrown in to satisfy the masses.

Possibly the reason i don't understand it. I think that the idea of playing a graphic novel is weird. They should have made it into a graphic novel. Playing a game which is more to the storyline than the gameplay (especially a storyline like that!) is kind of boring. I'd rather read a graphic novel.

Quote:
Heck i would not be at all surprised if they decide to do a co-production remake of Xenogears for episode 5.

Well, the timeframe's kinda been messed up, so they might either do that or alter the facts. Making a new game isn't that easy. Especially one like Xeno.

Ranadiel wrote:
At the rate that they are currently going I really doubt they will be able to pull that off.

Me too. :P
Well, maybe i'll just start buyin Xeno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: