Suikoden Unique and Illusional Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rap and Hip-Hop, Yea or Nay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Rap/Hip-Hop Good Music?
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 21 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 44

Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jeremy wrote:
Personally, I hate rap as it all tends to blend together with boring beats that are very similar to one another. Plus, I don't consider it to be a mark of talent being able to talk with a beat.

And the guitar with bass and drum beats don't blend together? Rap and Rock are more similar than one would think at first glance. A rhythmic voice over a mix of bass and drums could describe most rock today and rap. And talking with the beat is far from what rap music is, it's being rhythmic with a purpose - with soul. While a lot of rap music is still rap music without this soul I described - good rap music needs it. And most things I hear on the radio, whether rap or rock or whatever, don't have that soul. To hear that soul I have to listen to jazz and college radio stations.

Quote:
I balk at calling it "music" since I don't consider it to be music. (that's just my opinion, of course) I don't know everything about rap, nor do I have any desire to, it just does not satisfy my taste in music. If that presents any problems for anybody... tough.

Now, I don't mean to insult your opinion, but this is something that irks me. Music is nothing more than a combination of sound and silence. When you speak you create "music." The keyboard chatter from me typing is "music." Oddly enough, bands like Pink Floyd would use common sounds like that and call it music. If that is all music is how can rap not be music? Especially because of how rhythmic it is.

Quote:
The trouble is, even rock and alternative have a tendency to blend together as, at first, you might confuse early Stone Temple Pilots for Pearl Jam (as Scott Weiland modeled his vocals after Eddie Vedder) but you would never confuse, say, Crash Test Dummies for Nirvana.

Of course we wouldn't have these "genres" if the sound weren't similar. The idea of it is liking a similar sound to something else. Also, it would be difficult to confuse a lot of rap artists if you know anything about it. It's easy to confuse Mos Def and Kanye West, but you would never confuse, say, Run DMC and Eminem.

Now, I would never insult your musical taste, because that's just how you are. But hating genres you don't like is going a little far. I used to hate Metal for similar reasons that you hate rap, but then a metal fan showed me the purpose of it and what it actually does. While I don't like Metal still, I respect it.

Question: If you can't stand the sound of rap so much, how do you stand it at work? Do they let you put in headphones or something, or do you just have to deal with it?

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brecht wrote:
And the guitar with bass and drum beats don't blend together?

As I have said, rock and such does blend together. It's practically impossible at this point to come across any completely original work as there are only so many possible chord progressions. There's even the example of Nickelback's "How You Remind Me" and "Someday" which features very similar music.

To put it succinctly, I do not like the sound of rap, at all. The first time I heard anything by Eminem was when he lifted a Dido song and did his bit over it. Really... it doesn't take talent to use somebody else's work. Dido may have consented to the use, I don't know, but I still think such examples are cheap rip-offs.

Now, before anyone thinks about saying "Well, 'Weird Al' Yankovic uses other people's music..." just remember he only does so with permission. If he doesn't get the permission, he doesn't do the parody.

Quote:
Question: If you can't stand the sound of rap so much, how do you stand it at work? Do they let you put in headphones or something, or do you just have to deal with it?

Sadly, I have to deal with it. I have earplugs, but they don't block everything out, which is excrutiating when that total piece of shite "Goodies" is played. Thankfully, it looks like it's on it's way out as it isn't being played four to five times in an eight hour span anymore. Believe me, that is not music at all. It's just headache-inducing crap.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All I say about this is to each their own. I think the argument over originality and borrowed tracks is ridiculous because all artists sample other artists work in one form or another. Nothing is original. And as far as what is acceptable music. That is culturally based. I can't expect people to understand the melodies of rap and hip-hop as many don't understand the history of it. I've been fortunate enough to be able to do research on the subject. Original rap and hip-hop had soul.

Today we have cheap imitations of the soulfull music it once was. You have Payola diminishing the quality of the music due to corporate made rappers. Again, I can't expect everyone to understand rap and hip-hop. If you are not of the particular culture then it won't appeal to you, just like rock and punk don't appeal to me.

But, oddly enough, rock, punk, and pop all have history in rap and hip-hop. If you just listen to rap and hip-hop for its 'beats' then of course you won't value it as music. Any true hip-hop and rap fan values the lyrics above the melody. Music is different for everyone. Just because it does not appeal to one person does not mean it is not music. It may not appeal, but it does not diminish the value of that art as music itself.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Cirus

Heavenly Beings

9500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like rap because its fun and interesting to listen to and I like to try and understand what the rapper is saying, most of the time I can. I just like rap pure and simple rock is good but not as good as rap.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jeremy wrote:
The first time I heard anything by Eminem was when he lifted a Dido song and did his bit over it. Really... it doesn't take talent to use somebody else's work. Dido may have consented to the use, I don't know, but I still think such examples are cheap rip-offs.

Now, before anyone thinks about saying "Well, 'Weird Al' Yankovic uses other people's music..." just remember he only does so with permission. If he doesn't get the permission, he doesn't do the parody.

Let me remind you that the difference between the rapper and producer is like the difference between lead singer and drummer. In select cases they can be the same, but typically the beats and lyrics don't come from the same person. While I don't like that Eminem song either (or Eminem for that matter) sampling from another song then inserting it as a beat can add not only nostaligia, but also can just make for a kick ass song. An example of this is Atmosphere's "The River" where Ant (the DJ for Atmosphere) took the Moonlight Sonata and added some drum underneath it. Even you might like it Jeremy - but I wouldn't be willing to test that theory.

Whether sampling is okay or not is a common argument among my hip-hop loving friends. So, I can see how someone might go the other way on that one.

Weird Al also didn't have the permission to do "Amish Paradise" from Coolio's original "Gangsta's Paradise." While it was a mistake why he didn't have permission, he still did not have it.

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the most obvious thing that I'm sure has been stated up until this point is that origionality is no longer an issue, because it's practically impossible to produce anything else that we might see as origional. Everything's been done, put up for a month and then done again. Most music's like bad coke, you can't really tell you first time but after a while you get tired of the nose bleed (No, I've never done coke, fog-hats).

Rap is no different, HOWEVER the one thing that sets it apart in my book is that Rap is just now becoming a growing genre. In the past it has never really been this big, and it wasn't until a couple years ago after the creation of MTV 2 that it became exceedingly popular. MTV the origional converted to all shows and Rap, then BET filled the air with all kinds of 'mad beats'. Next thing you know Rap and Hip Hop have become a fad much like Grunge was when Nirvanah first hit the streets. I just see Rap as an untapped market right now, it's perhaps the only genre left that still has a little room for origionality. Not to say that I don't appriciate Rock, or Punk. Many a time I find myself listening to some Flogging Molley, or Godsmack. All I'm saying is that especially on the technical level, Rap is going beyond what most Rock artists or Punk artists do. Power cords get old real quick after hearing the same three in different orders throughout three tracks. Then you realize they all three had the same beat too, and vomit.

As for Eminem, the people that made him famous are---*drum roll*---Emo-kids! *applause* All you really have to do is observe the masses in your school that claim to be 'goth' for example. I'd say a little more than 75% of those kids listen to Eminem, or have one of his CD's. He's become the poster child for kids who think their lives suck and want to talk about how crappy their parents are too the world. What a shame, you have a roof over your head and food in your bellies. Wow, I wish my parets hated me that much.

All it comes down to for me though, is that while two beats for a rap song might sound similar on CD. When you break those sound-bytes down and observe them, you'll realize that even though they sound alike, most don't have two frequencies in common. That to me is ultimate origionality, being able to make sure that you NEVER have the same exact sound twice, that you don't have the same three beats repeated the ENTIRE song, and then throw in a guitar solo so it seems more acceptable. The only funny thing about arguing about this though, is that I used to be a diehard Punk and Rock fan. Eventually you get tired of being forcefed the same thing over and over again. Only a handful of Rock artists are doing anything that isn't 'streamline' these days, and as for Punk. I don't think there's anything left for them to complain about, so the only noise I really hear when I listen to that anymore is, "Whaaaaaaaa!" Most alternitive has gone all emo, so that's not too good anymore. There's no more rough neck artists anymore in most genre's. I want the next Ozzy (I say the next because gawd he needs to retire before he kills himself), or give me the next Metallica (Pre Saint Anger). Just give me a group that isn't complaining about how their own lives sucked when they grew up so that we can 'relate to them'. F***, if I thought my life sucked that bad why would I want to hear how bad yours was too? We've all got issues shmucks.

Julious Cezar
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I'm not a fan of rap.

Generally rap wont bother me, only one genre really irks me and that is gangsta rap. I don't care for gangsta "values" and nor do I care for what they have allegedly participated in their seedy or violent past. Coming to think about it, if they didn't exist I'd think this world would be a better place but that's only my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Now don't get me wrong, there is probably bands I listen to who might sing about the same, but at the very least I like the sound of the song in it's entirety. Just because I like a song, that doesn't mean I believe in nor condone what the lyrics are about.

Most rap I just don't like the sound of, it just doesn't appeal to me, although I don't deny there might be some songs I may like. I can respect rap or a rapper as a music genre or a musician, but that doesn't need to say I particularly like it.

Some music I listen to has rap influences, for example my favourite band is Biohazard. In their own words, "Biohazard was one of the first bands to mix heavy metal and hardcore with elements of hip-hop and rap." Although they are influenced by rap, I like the sound of the music. So although rap is arguably partially responsible for Biohazard's sound, that doesn't neccessarily mean I like rap as a genre on it's own.

So I voted, nay.

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Now don't get me wrong, there is probably bands I listen to who might sing about the same, but at the very least I like the sound of the song in it's entirety. Just because I like a song, that doesn't mean I believe in nor condone what the lyrics are about.

But that statement right there is completely controdictory to the former part of your posted opinion. So it's alright for a band that isn't rap oriented to sing about killing b****es as long as you like the way the song sounds, but when it's Gangster Rap, they're destroying the world. Is it because they're black or something? No, no wait, it's because they're not as cool as dashboard confessionals, that's why...yep.

The point is, you can't just condemn an action in one genre, then condone it in the other. If the world would be a better place without Gangster Rap, then by your own philosophy, it would be a better place without any hardcore music that delvs into crimes being committed anyway, which sadly is about half of the music out there.

Julious Cezar
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, that's not the point that was made at all, which is evident by the "Just because I like a song, that doesn't mean I believe in nor condone what the lyrics are about." sentence. What Sir Spuderik was saying is he can at least enjoy a song when it's performed in a style that is appealing. If I listen to a Rammstein song, "Du Hast" for example, I'll most likely not understand the majority of the lyrics but I can still enjoy it. I can also enjoy Japanese songs without understanding the lyrics if the musical style appeals to me.

Zero wrote:
Is it because they're black or something?

Why do you even have to play the race card? Not all rappers are black but I still don't like rap regardless of the artist and not all rock/metal/whatever groups are white and I will like whatever appeals to me regardless of the colour of their skin. Please don't make any more comments such as this as they will just cause trouble. (not to mention the fact that they are completely and utterly pointless)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This just comes back to what is appealing to you. Everyone has their own opinions. Many people stereotype a "gangsta" rap concert as having people shot up or beaten up, not saying any of you do, but have never even been to a rap concert. What appeals to each person will vary based on the fact that we have our own views. I just don't agree with the fact that some people say it isn't music because it doesn't appeal to them or because they can't enjoy it.

Heavy Metal and Punk sounds like a bunch of guys screaming their heads off just throwing some music to back it up. But, that's my opinion and that doesn't appeal to me. But, I still believe it is music.

And the race card is not an issue. If you look at most people who listen to rap and who goes to rap concerts, they are white surburban teens. Race is not an issue on what appeals. It is solely culturally based.

Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zero wrote:
Quote:

But that statement right there is completely controdictory to the former part of your posted opinion. So it's alright for a band that isn't rap oriented to sing about killing b****es as long as you like the way the song sounds, but when it's Gangster Rap, they're destroying the world.

The point is, you can't just condemn an action in one genre, then condone it in the other.

Zero, did you even read what you quoted?

Let's break this down:

Me - "Just because I like a song, that doesn't mean I believe in nor condone what the lyrics are about."
Zero - "you can't just condemn an action in one genre, then condone it in the other."

When did I condemn "gangsta" and then go on to condone it?

Zero wrote:
If the world would be a better place without Gangster Rap, then by your own philosophy, it would be a better place without any hardcore music that delvs into crimes being committed anyway, which sadly is about half of the music out there.

Sir Spuderik wrote:
if they didn't exist I'd think this world would be a better place but that's only my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

I only stated the world would be better in my opinion. This is only due to my distaste for the sound and lyrics of gangsta rap, which happens to be my opinion. Hopefully that clears that up.

Zero wrote:
Is it because they're black or something? No, no wait, it's because they're not as cool as dashboard confessionals, that's why...yep.

I would kindly suggest that you wouldn't accuse me of having a biased opinion towards ANYTHING due to racism. I care little for what skin colour any gangsta rapper is and even suggesting that I would is plain insulting.
EDIT: Zero, have a look at my signature while you're here.

Oh, and I don't know who the Dashboard Confessionals are, I've only heard of their name.

Anyway, as much as I don't like that particular genre of rap, I still accept it is a form of music.

Also when I say I don't like rap, I mean the majority... the number of rap songs I dislike far outnumber the amount I do.

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You said, that in YOUR opinion, the world would be better without gangster rap because of what they sing about doing. Correct? Now follow me on this one, no matter how difficult it may be for you. If you think that Gangster rap is bad because of what they sing about, how can you turn around and say that you like the music of a different type of band that sings about the same thing? All you're saying is that it's bad for rap artists to sing about things you don't condone, but if a band you like does, you don't condone them but it's still a good song. Do you get where I'm going with this?

If I were to turn around and say that I wish that everyone who killed people was put to the death penalty, it would be about the same thing you just said in your post.

I'm not saying that I care if you like/dislike rap at all, nor am I saying that I care what genre you like anyway. I'm saying that you're calling an apple an apple in one instance, and then the next you're calling an apple an orange.

As for this race card that seems to have been taken so seriously, it was a joke intended to exaggerate my point. If I had thought that the genre was disliked simply because of race then my reply would have been a one liner, and it would have been just that.

Quote:
This just comes back to what is appealing to you. Everyone has their own opinions. Many people stereotype a "gangsta" rap concert as having people shot up or beaten up, not saying any of you do, but have never even been to a rap concert. What appeals to each person will vary based on the fact that we have our own views. I just don't agree with the fact that some people say it isn't music because it doesn't appeal to them or because they can't enjoy it.

That's a valid point Urn, but I'm saying that is it ok to turn around and say that Ganster rap is horrible because of what they sing about, then listen to a different genre of music that sings about the same thing and be like, "It's good music, I just don't like the topic,"? something about that just strikes me as controdictory.

Julious Cezar
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to sit here and say what may be right or wrong, but that statement does sound contradictory. Of course, we would have to assess which direction that statement was coming from as it may not have came out as the poster intended. Either way, everyone is entitled to try to justify the reasons for what they like and don't like.

But, I do not agree with the statement for a couple of reasons. First, violent rap songs consist of about 25% of the total music that is portrayed in rap. Unfortunately, most people won't hear any of the positive rap music out there because music producers want to portray an image that will sell.

The people that produce the music don't think a positive rap song will sell, so they go get angry youths who have never had anything and were forced to struggle to survive to produce music for them. Then they market this to more urban youths and make this the music in which people associate to rap these days.

Rap was not originally about violence. It was about political and social revolution. Most people don't know that and are unfortunately caught up in the image of gangsta rap music that these rich corporations that have no idea about what is going on choose to produce, market and force us to listen to until we have no idea what the original purpose of the music was about and eventually we think that it is the norm.

Another reason why I don't agree that people would be better off without that type of music is because I don't believe we should turn a blind eye to music of that nature. It gives a real vision of the delusion that America can force on individuals through manipulation.

It also gives a real look into low income urban life-styles, as well. This music is so graphic that it shows us there is a need for change that can't be ignored. But, unfortunately this won't happen because big music producers have a vested interest in it not changing so they can further exploit these misguided individuals.

Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zero wrote:
You said, that in YOUR opinion, the world would be better without gangster rap because of what they sing about doing. Correct?

No, I then said to clarify it was both the sound of the music and the lyrics. With this little one form my last post:

Sir Spuderik wrote:
This is only due to my distaste for the sound and lyrics of gangsta rap, which happens to be my opinion. Hopefully that clears that up.

Zero wrote:
Now follow me on this one, no matter how difficult it may be for you. If you think that Gangster rap is bad because of what they sing about, how can you turn around and say that you like the music of a different type of band that sings about the same thing? All you're saying is that it's bad for rap artists to sing about things you don't condone, but if a band you like does, you don't condone them but it's still a good song. Do you get where I'm going with this?

I see what you mean, but maybe I'm not explaining this correctly or maybe you misunderstand my point. I said in my last post that the sound AND lyrics of gangsta don't appeal to me. It's as simple as that, I find NO redeeming features about it. Maybe I used the wrong word, lets say instead of sound, instrumental parts, e.g keyboard parts, bass, whatever.

However, if a band releases a song with the same lyrics, presents it instrumentally and vocally pleasurable I would like the sound of the song. In no way would I say the lyrics were any better, I didn't say that, I meant the song would be pleasurable to listen to, meaning I would probably listen to it. Therefore, I would think the song is overall good, even if the lyrics were not to my taste. It takes more than lyrics for me to enjoy a song, and I prefer the instrumental side to songs rather than lyrics involved. That, again, is personal preference. Having good lyrics is more of a plus than something I require in a song, a voice and instruments being played in a manner that arouses my interest is far more appealing for me.

An example is Mad Capsule Markets, some of their lyrics are in Japanese. Do I have the faintest idea what they are saying? No. Could they very well be insulting me? Yes. Do I still like the song? Yes.

Zero wrote:
As for this race card that seems to have been taken so seriously, it was a joke intended to exaggerate my point. If I had thought that the genre was disliked simply because of race then my reply would have been a one liner, and it would have been just that.

Then apologies for being so uptight about that. A joke is a joke and whilst engaged in such a debate I didn't quite see it like that. Sorry.

My dislike for gangsta is not entirely the lyrics. This is just another factor as to why I have such disdain for it. I assure you it is more than that as I have hopefully explained in this post.

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I must have been reading a bit too fast, I probably did infact miss that part in your last post. In a nutshell all I'm trying to get across is that rap is going to be rap, it was founded on the whole gangster principle which is what made it so popular to begin with. Even when it was first being produced it was about as controversial as Elvis Presley, which is an accomplishment I think being that innovators are often ridiculed to death before they're every appriciated.

I love music, most in general actually. So it's probably not the best judgement on my part to really participate too heavily in this conversation because in all honesty, it all sounds about the same to me. I suppose sometimes I just find it hard to believe that others don't think that way, but that's what makes us individuals after all, so I can't really argue with that too much now can I?

Julious Cezar
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: