Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Best Video Game Song
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Best Video Game Song Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, this is just a little subject I thought of. Quite a few video games have good music, there are, of course, exceptions. I was wondering what everyone's favorite video game song is. It's kinda hard to ask "why" on this topic, though, because it is really hard sometimes to explain WHY you like music. If you want to you can answer why.

Personally, I have to break this group down in to three categories: with lyrics, without lyrics, and from a Final Fantasy. Even now I will have several answers for each of these.

Best Music With Lyrics: Okay, this one is hard, but I'm going to have to go with Inner Logic by Bad Religion from Crazy Taxi. I just really loved that song. For original game music, though? Oh, definitely Simple and Clean (Planitb Remix) from Kingdom Hearts.

Best Music Without Lyrics: This category is even harder than the previous one. I have to say Marble Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog. It really makes me nostalgic. Plus, I have always loved Sonic and I just really like the music from the Sonic games. Another one of my favorites, and perhaps all time favorite game song of all time, is Dispair and Hope from Grandia II. You might know it as "that really sad song with the string instruments that plays very few times in that game." Well, I think it is beautiful and makes me cry almost every time that I listen to it.

Best Music from a Final Fantasy: For this one, I also have to take two songs. The first of which is 1000 Words by Jade from Final Fantasy X-2. I like this song and it is one of my favorite to sing when I'm just hanging out with some friends. My other is The Stage is Set from Final Fantasy VIII. I don't know why, but that song just kind of clung to me the moment I heard it. I don't exactly know how to describe this song if you haven't heard it before, or don't know which song I'm talking about. There is a link to a sample of it below.

[The Stage is Set]

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ai wo Koete, The Coldest Land, Mysterious People- Suikoden III

la mer- Suikoden IV

Morning Glow, 1000 Words- FFX-2

The Successor- FFVIII

If You Still Believe- Legend of Dragoon

Melodies of Life, The Place I'll Return to Someday- FFIX

Small Two of Pieces- Xenogears

Simple and Clean- Kingdom Hearts

Suteki da ne, Ending Theme- FFX

THERE. The ultimate list. Now everybody go and download! The ones in bold are the ones you have to listen to or you just haven't lived.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since I wouldn't possibly be able to think of only 1 song for each of these, I'm gonna list a few:

Best Music With Lyrics:

Danger - Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (By the band Etro Anime)
You're Not Here - Silent Hill 3
Your Rain - Silent Hill 4
Break Down - DDR MAX 2 (Dance Dance Revolution)
Exceeding Love - Suikoden 3 (The opening video song)
Butterfly (Chou) - Fatel Frame 2 (Ending credits song)
Lord Laharl's Hymn - Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
You Were There - ICO

Best Music Without Lyrics:

Phase VIII: Korbenik ~ First and Second Stage - .Hack//GAME
Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground - .Hack//GAME
Loop 3 Opening - .Hack//GAME
Ending - .Hack//GAME
Aura's Theme - .Hack//GAME
Whisper of Hell - Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Dear Friends - Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Tradey of the Marionettes - Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Sorrowful Angel - Disgeae: Hour of Darkness
Planet X - Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Castle in the Mist - ICO
Heal - ICO
Alice's Theme - Shadow Hearts
Coffin Fetish - Shadow Hearts
Imbroglio - Shadow Hearts
True Voice - Shadow Hearts
An Old Irish Song - Suikoden 1
Remienscence - Suikoden 2
A Peaceful Mountain Village - Suikoden 2
Secret Village of the Ninja - Suikoden 2
Gothic Neclord - Suikoden 2
Requiem of Grief - Suikoden 2
Withered Earth - Suikoden 2

Best Music from a Final Fantasy:

Relm's Theme - Final Fantasy 6
Kefka's Theme - Final Fantasy 6
Dancing Mad - Final Fantasy 6
J-E-N-O-V-A - Final Fantasy 7
One Winged Angel - Final Fantasy 7
Compression of Time - Final Fantasy 8
Eyes of Me - Final Fantasy 8
Find Your Way - Final Fantasy 8
Liberti Fateli - Final Fantasy 8
Succession of Witches - Final Fantasy 8
The Castle - Final Fantasy 8
The Man with the Machine Gun - Final Fantasy 8
Eternal Harvest - Final Fantasy 9
Freya's Theme - Final Fantasy 9
Melodies of Life - Final Fantasy 9
The Place I'll Return to Someday - Final Fantasy 9
Kazenone - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Real Emotion - Final Fantasy X-2
Path of Repentence - Final Fantasy 10
Suteki da Ne - Final Fantasy 10
To Zanarkand - Final Fantasy 10
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting, interesting.

Of course a lot of my favourite game music comes from Suikode, but since this is a Suikoden forum it'd be kind of redundant to have a huge list of songs that you're all already familiar with. So let's branch out a bit, shall we.

The Metal Gear Solid series has a solid soundtrack. The orchestrated theme from MGS2 is insane, and if you haven't heard it you're impotent. Seriously.

Katamari Damacy is just.... woah. Crikey. Check out WANDA WANDA or The Moon and the Prince. Everything else is just as wild, but those two are the best, I think.

Medal of Honour has a great soundtrack, a more orchestral arrangement to fit the dramatic mood. I'm constantly impressed with the quality of the arrangements.

Jet Grind Radio has loads of songs I'd never listen to, but that fit the game divinely. Great pump-up songs for graffitiing and angering pigs.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me I can only think of a few good songs...

Lunar:SSS

Wings (the opening song)
Wind Nocturne (the boat song)

Lunar:EB

Lemia's Theme
Lucia's Theme
Crowded Street Corner
Eternal Blue

Suikoden:

The opening song
McDohl's Mansion
Gregminster
Headquaters

Suikoden 2:

Old Castle
Beautiful Morning
Muse's Theme

And then of course their is the ultimate video game song.... EVER! And that is of course the original Mario Theme song.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just going to list FF music. I like them the best.

FFVI:
The Decisive Battle
Celes's Theme

FFVII:
Sending A Dream Into The Universe
Cid's Theme
Great Warrior
Cosmo Canyon
Aeris's Theme
Cait Sith's Theme
Crazy Motorcycle
Forested Temple
Jenova
One Winged Angel

FFVIII:
Eyes One Me
Fisherman's Horizon
Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec
Force Your Way
Movin
Ride On
SeeD
Tears Of The Moon
The Landing
The Extreme
The Man With A Machine Gun
The Stage Set

FFIX:
Black Mage Village
Mount Gulug
Hunter's Chance
Kuja's Theme
Melodies Of Life
Skirmish Of The Silver Dragons
The Dark Messenger
You're Not Alone

FFX:
Otherworld
Mt. Gagazet
Seymore's Theme
Seymore Boss Battle #4
Summoned Beast Battle
Someday The Dream Will End
To Zanarkand

And of course, all the Chocobo themes.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys forgot the best battle theme for any game ever, Battle with Gilgamesh.
That song alone is why Final Fantasy V is my favorite final fantasy (even though the series has gotten stale in my opinion)

La Mer is also one of my favorite songs from Suikoden IV.

another good song I like is from the tales series, I think. I can't remember which game, but the song was titled Break into Pieces or something like that. The song is very fast and chaotic, and that' why I like it.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ever sionce the days of Dragon Warrior and Mega Man, i have enjoyed the unique music that is included in video games. Early on there were the classics. The Mario themes, Zelda themes, and for those who like creepy, Metroid's themes were quite a thrill. Dispite the MIDI like format that the NES games had, they sometimes made their game far better than it really was. For example, some may hate on me, but the Mega Man Series was virtually the same game over and over. I hold it dear to my heart though because of the music that accompanied the robot lairs. Most specifically Mega Man 2. The themes to Flash Man, Bubble Man, Metal Man, Wood Man and Quick Man are all works of art. Later on in the series, Ring Man and Skull Man's themes were great as well. I have techo remakes of a lot of Mega man songs and most are so well done its mind shattering. I also have symphonic remakes of the themes to Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Brothers.

Since the NES era, music in video games has in my opinion declined, with a few exceptions. I will not go into detail because if you look above my post theres a nice list of exactly what I speak of. Final Fantasy has almost single handedly kept the video game music flame burning in my heart. FFIX's Black Mage Villiage Waltz, The ENTIRE sound track to Final Fantasy Tactics, and even some simpler ones from Final Fantasy VI. This isn't to say that no other games have had good music. On the Genesis, there was a set of games called Shining Force. Both SFI and SFII had beautiful music and a fun system, which kept the game going through its high lack of character development. (It was one of those "Hi, I'm a warrior, you need me? Ok, I'll join you and never speak again for the rest of the journey" kind of games)

Back on track. There are a few more shining stars, Speaking of Stars, Suikoden's Opening theme music for the first 3 games was awe inspiring, and several scores throughout the series make me tingle. Most of which is the opening theme to Suiko III, dispite being in Japanese, it was moving and well in synch with the animation that coincided with it.

Another diamond in the rough is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the music in that game was like a symphony to my ears. Vampire killer, the long standing Castlevania theme takes a semi-techno jump here to become one of the most beloved VG songs in my entire library.

Most recently there haven't been a lot because games are now employing actual pop stars and music bands to create their score. Not that I expect Madden 2005 to woo me with original music or anything. But in genres where original music was once commonplace, more and more we see bands coming in and doing that work for the programmers. But, again, not everyone has fallen for this. Katamari Damacy has such a bizzre track of JPop that could ONLY go with a game as equally bizzare. For some reason making stars out of thumbtacks, fences, cows, boats, people and anyhting else in our world by a 1/4 inch high prince of the universe is made complete with the weird sounds of JPop.

I for one feel that hiring a 3rd party to create a games music is cheap. For some games like Madden its fine, but there are some decent titles that have music by Smashmouth, Pink, Good Charlotte.. etc. I think that including music thats popular now into video games is a "Travishamockery"

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Best Music With Lyrics:
Xenogears - Small of Two Pieces, Stars of Tears
Xenosaga - Kokoro, Pain
Suikoden 3 - Ai wo Koete (does it count as lyrics? :mrgreen:)
Suikogaiden 2 - Currents
FF8 - Eyes on me (even though I don't like the game)
FF X2 - 1000 Words (even though, again, I don't like the game :P)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced - White Flower (Japanese)

Best Music Without Lyrics:
FF7 - Aeris's Theme
FF6 - Tina's Theme
Okage: Shadow King - Marlene's theme
Suikoden 4 - Rune of Punishment
FF9 - Melodies of Life (piano version)
Wild Arms 3 - OP song (whistle version) forgot the name... heh
Legend of Zelda - that... that theme song... don't know the name...

That's all I can think of right now. I am one of those people that don't pay a lot of attention to the background music... unless they have lyrics or are the OP/ED song :lol:

Lilly's Entourage

8472 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Music without lyrics
Almost all the music from Animal Crossing(Surpising)
Find your way-FF8
Martial Law-FF8
Balamb Garden-FF8
Shuffle or Boogie-FF8
Junction-FF8
Swamp Battle-Legend of Dragoon
Blade-Suikoden 3
Large Cavity-Suikoden 3
The Will-Suikoden 2
Lift-Breath of fire Dragon Quarter
Those who must eat-Suikoden 2
Dandy Richmod-Suikoden 2
Battle music grom Grandia Xtreme
Most of the music from Dark Cloud and Xenogears
Fragments of Soul-Legend of Legaia 2
Mostly all the music from Megamen
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neorude II - Last Battle

I was hooked when the piano started jamming out. The track doesn't get much attention, seeing as the game never hit North America.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lyric

Grandia II - A Deus
La Pucelle - Legend of the Maiden
Lunar - Boat Song
Sonic series - Chaotix theme, Live and Learn
Suikoden III - Ai wo Koete

Non-Lyric

Disgaea - Planet X
Grandia - 1st half Battle Music, 1st half Boss Music
Grandia II - Boss Battle, Ambush Battle, Final Boss
La Pucelle - Boss Battle
Lunar II - Boss Battle
Maximum Carnage - The Climb stage
Sonic series - Marble Zone (1), 2-player Mystic Ruins (2), Ice Cap Zone (3), Robot Carnival (Heroes)
Star Ocean II - Dynamite (boss battle)
Suikoden II - The Chase, Neclord Battle, Silver Wolf, Gregminster
Tales of Eternia - Celestia Boss Battle, Sekundes Battle
Toshinden 1 - Ellis, Cupido
Toshinden 3 - Chaos/Shultz, Naru

And many more, of course.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Euram Barows

Gizel Godwin Fanclub

131074 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are so many good songs:

Suikoden;

Exceeding Love
Withered Earth
Blade
Dandy Richmod
Old Castle
Gregminster
Headquaters
Luca Battle

Final Fantasy:

Jenova
One Winged Angel
Balamb Garden
Hunter's Chance
Mt. Gagazet
Black Mage Village
Kefka's Theme
Liberti Fateli
The Place I'll Return to Someday
To Zanarkand
apathy

14000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ffx: suteki na de
thousamd arms: opening them song (don't know the actual name)
shenmue: ending music

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is tough I don't have a single favorite so I'll mention my favorites here in no particular order but as they come to memory.

The Metal Gear Solid theme, yes the one at the start I think, or do you get to hear it at the start I'm not sure I don't know if it has any particular name so the song that plays at least in videos for the game, is supposed to be the theme but I really can't remember if you hear it at the beginning of the game Lol.

The ending theme of Metal Gear Solid the one that plays at the credits while you look at some pictures from Alaska, that is my favorite Metal Gear song in general.

Now the Metal Gear Sons of Liberty intro again (this time I'm sure it plays at the beginning of the game) and the song that plays at the ending and when [spoiler] Emma dies [/spoiler]

The Shenmue theme song again I don't know a particular name if there is one the one that plays when the hawk is flying at the start I think before you select a New Game, also from Shemue, Shenmue II in this case the song that lol I'm getting forgetful with age, that girl you get to meet in the mountains at the end of the game that name escapes me.

Now some people may not note it for its music but I also like some Resident Evil tunes there a lot of good ones in Code Veronica like that spooky music box music since I don't know names for any of them jus let me say some Resident Evil Music.

Silent Hill music, the intro to Silent Hill 1 that song that starts with Maria talking to James, good and spooky stuff by Akira Yamanoka (I think maybe wrong name again) from Silent Hill 2, nothing really strikes my attention in 3 and The Room of Angels (finally a name) from Silent Hill 4: The Room.

The Wild Arms 3 theme song that plays each time you start the game with an Anime sequence to go along with it, don't know the name of this one either, I prefer the English version.

Well there few from not particularly good games that I liked but can't remember them to mentioned them here so I will just mention the Violin Zelda theme from Wind Waker.

Now the good stuff, from Final Fantasy VII One winged angel, the Cosmo Canyon tunes, Prelude, and others I'm forgetting right now, from VIII there a lot of good tunes that I don't know their names, and of course ‘Eyes On Me' my favorite Final Fantasy Song, from IX nothing stands out as ‘Melodies of Life' from X Sudeki Da Ne and the hymn, from X-2 that song that Yuna sings in the Thunder Plains, erm I will also mention Simple and Clean from Kingdom Hearts here.

Now the Suikoden music, the intro of Suikoden II, the er, something la istoria, that is the song that Annalee sings I think, there a lot of stuff from Suikoden II that again I don't know the names to mention, from Suikoden I Gremio's death and some other stuff and Neclords castle music.

From IV just La Mer and though again I don't know name that music that plays during the credits.

Well that's it folks I wished I actually remembered the names or more of them, I really like to listen to games music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: