Suikoden United and Irrational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The 80's Nostalgia

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1137266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: The 80's Nostalgia Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Several years ago, Rhino Home Video released re-mastered DVD sets for the Transformers (Generation One, Beast Wars and - most recently - Transformers Armada) and G.I. Joe, though the latter wasn't completed before they lost the license, with roughly 16 episodes remaining.

In addition, various comic book companies picked up the licenses for various 80's properties, such as Transformers (Dreamwave Productions, and now IDW Publishing), G.I. Joe (Devil's Due), Thundercats (WildStorm - DC) and Masters of the Universe. (MV Creations - Image & CrossGen)

Each of the above series have disappeared from the shelves with the exception of G.I. Joe and, thanks to IDW Publishing, Transformers will be returning with a special #0 issue in October and a full-time return in January.

But all has been relatively quiet on the DVD front in terms of these old properties... until now.

Within a few weeks, the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon will make it's way onto a two disc, ten episode "Best of" collection, with season sets to begin in the Fall through a studio known only as "Brentwood."

Thundercats will also see a DVD release this August with the first 28 episodes of the first season arriving in a single box set through Warner Home Video.

G.I. Joe has seen a few new releases over the past couple years, with "Spy Troops," "Valor vs. Venom" and "Ninja Battles" but only "Valor vs. Venom" has seen a mass DVD release, with the other two being (so far) limited to being pack ins with figure releases.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The 80s certainly were important to me, although I don't know if I would go out and buy the DVDs, should they become available here. Since I'm a girl, I have totally different tastes from yours, Jeremy. Of any of the shows I'd buy, it'd definitely be Rainbow Brite. I only have the movie on VHS, though.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is neat. Just the other day several of my teammates at JPL and I were discussing various aspects of "old" cartoons such as Thundercats and He-man. It was deeply philosophical stuff like "which thundercat would you be?" and who would win between the ninja turtles and the best 4 thundercats. Anyway, good news there.

Rebel of Babylon

1137266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The wave of nostalgia isn't even limit to animation or the 80's, in fact, almost anything is receiving the DVD treatment these days, whether it is older material like the "Flintstones" and the "Jetsons", live action shows like "Night Court" or "Northern Exposure", it's almost like the mentality of "If you release it, they will buy" has gone into full swing.

Last year, I bought a couple of the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" DVD sets because the price was good, being only $99.99 at Future Shop in Canada, but in January the price for the Trek season DVDs went back up to $169.99 and I certainly balk at paying that price when you can get shows like "Angel" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" along with "Babylon 5" which, like Star Trek, are hour-long dramas and carry a price tag far more affordable than the Trek sets. Plus, in the case of Babylon 5, you get better extras (including commentaries on select episodes) than the Trek DVDs.

The only difference between those series and Star Trek is that they had 22 episodes per season as opposed to Trek's standard 26, but when an "Angel" DVD set costs roughly $60, I don't think four episodes are worth a $100+ mark-up. But, even that $169.99 price tag at Future Shop is reasonable in comparison to the $200 price tag the Star Trek DVDs at the Virgin Megastore in Vancouver.

One 80s property which I wouldn't mind seeing released on DVD is "Robotix." Rhino picked up the rights several years ago, but just sat on them and didn't do a thing with the property.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't say that I'm in an 80's nostalgia mindset. Rather, I never left the 80's. as far as I'm concerned, its June 25, 1985, and I'm going to listen to Twisted Sister and INXS, while making shrikie dinks and drinking ecto cooler Hi-C.

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting topic here,the 80's the music was good,Pro wrestling in my opinion was at it's best then.

Lots of good tv series, Night Court as meantioned was funny,i enjoyed it, I recently picked up the dvd set of season 1 and 2 of the Facts of life(that series ran from 1979-1988) it was a good series and spinoff of Different Strokes,which was also a good show.

As for cartoons in that era,the ninja turtles were alright as was Voltron,G.I Joe was alright to(Wrestler Sgt Slaughter appeared on that one for awhile,for anyone who didn't know that.)

The tv series The Incredible Hulk was good very few comic based tv series ever,made it anywhere,but the Hulk did,Billy Bixby's real life death was a sad moment, Nobody could beat his portraying Doctor David Banner.

The Dukes of Hazzard was enjoyable,as was Knight Rider,let's face it there will never be a decade like the 1980's again. Sure it had it's lousy moments but what decade didn't.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross

Last edited by Lonelion on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zelphiel

Apophis Berserkers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: The 80's Nostalgia Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:

Within a few weeks, the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon will make it's way onto a two disc, ten episode "Best of" collection, with season sets to begin in the Fall through a studio known only as "Brentwood."

that'll be great. it'll really take me back to my childhood watching that show again.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I pretty much have most of the 80's cartoon series as part of my dvd collection. I have to say that I don't have Beast Wars and Armada since I don't consider them as part of the original classic Transformers series. The same for all these newfangled G.I. Joe series. Despite all the 80's classic toon series being released I'm still waiting for a couple that would make me a very happy person and also make my dvd collection even more enviable: Gummi Bears, Galaxy Rangers and Dino-Saucers.

As for classic tv shows, I've the Night Court dvd set and that of The A-Team and the Vietnam-era drama series Tour of Duty. One of these days I will pick up the Magnum, P.I. season sets.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: The 80's Nostalgia Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zelphiel wrote:
Elc wrote:

that'll be great. it'll really take me back to my childhood watching that show again.

You all have my pity, my satellite subscriber has about 3 channels 24/7 dedicated to ye olde animations. He-Mans followed by Shi-Ra which is then followed by Dino Riders (i cant find any of those vhs anywhere though).

lonelion wrote:
As for cartoons in that era,the ninja turtles were alright as was Voltron. The tv series The Incredible Hulk was good very few comic based tv series ever,made it anywhere,but the Hulk did,Billy Bixby's real life death was a sad moment, Nobody could beat his portraying Doctor David Banner.The Dukes of Hazzard was enjoyable,as was Knight Rider,let's face it there will never be a decade like the 1980's again. Sure it had it's lousy moments but what decade didn't.

I hear that, i loved the HulkTV series and also the real life movies which came out around that time, like when he took on Thor(i have a vhs of some hulk cartoons with the whole paper cut out thing), that and the Toxic Avenger ('85) were pretty nifty for its time. Dukes of hazzard i was never too fond of though, and Night Rider...that so shoulda just been the car and no Hoff. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: