Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Making Games Harder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Making Games Harder Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are tons of games out there that are easy or medium difficulty that we all love to play. Sometimes, it's fun to make a game we love more difficult by not allowing ourselves to do certain things.

If you don't knwo what I mean, I'll give you some examples. In Final Fantasy X, you can play a NSG (no sphere grid) game which doesn't allow you to use the sphere grid, making a game of mediocre difficulty, a very hard game. Some more examples are Final Fantasy Tactics's SSC (where you go through the game using only one job class starting at Dorter Trade City) and the SSCC (which is a SSCC with only the main character). Sorry, I forgot what SSC and SSCC stand for.

What I'm getting at is what you all do to make your games harder. What games have you done this sort of thing have you done? Can you suggest any ones for other people to try?

I have done some SSCC's in Final Fantasy Tactics. I have completed the Lancer, Monk, and Samurai ones. I'm never going to try the Calculator one because that is certain failure!

I've also started a level one Final Fantasy IX. It is really hard to beat bosses at level one, but it's even harder to try and not gain experience. I'll beat it someday I hope, but it's really hard.

So, now it's your turn. Tell us about what you've done.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm... I haven't really done anything notable like that, although in Star Ocean II, I spent lots of time opening as many voice clips as possible to get the Galaxy and Universe modes of play. When I finish Stella Deus and return to SO2, I intend to play on Universe mode at some time to enjoy the leveling process.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ive always wanted to play a SCC (straight character challenge) and SSCC (Single straight character challenge) in Final Fantasy Tactics but never got a chance or had the drive to do so. I really dont do those kind of challenges, the only kind of thing im doing is in my current FFT playthru I am not using any of the special characters (Agrias, Mustadio, Orlando etc.) because I believe they make the game way too simple.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, playing with only generic characters does make it slightly harder. Orlandu was waaaaay to good. You should really try some SCCs. They aren't too bad.
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After this I dont think I can play thru tactics all the way again for another month or two, I think Ill either buy Suikoden IV or play thru 1 and 2 again
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that's your choice to make.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, well even if the "special characters" in Final Fantasy Tactics make the game easier, I'd still use them. I mean, I think Orlandu is awesome, despite being a tad bit overpowered. Besides, Mustadio isn't that great. Any chemist can use a gun, and is therefore more cool than he is. (Unless they're male chemists, because those hats are just AWEFUL.)

Anyway, Final Fantasy Tactics wouldn't be anywhere near as cool, without me using my Holy Knight, Agrias. She's my favorite special character in that game. Just wish they would've given her a little more dialouge. :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Mustadio's "Seal Evil" skill makes him the best and most efficient character until you meet Orlandu. A lot of people overlook him because he is a horrible looking character and no one really cares about him or his ugly father.

Personally, I find that FFTactics is just about the hardest RPG there is out there. That of course does not mean that I'm saying FFTactics is hard. You can actually die in several places even with a good party... especially if a couple theives charm your best characters.

*shrugs*

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:
You can actually die in several places even with a good party...

Two words...FINATH...RIVER (way to many darn choco-curing chocobos)
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:
Personally, I find that FFTactics is just about the hardest RPG there is out there. That of course does not mean that I'm saying FFTactics is hard. You can actually die in several places even with a good party... especially if a couple theives charm your best characters.

*shrugs*

I had a tendancy to overpower Agrias from the start and had her with Blade Grasp and a high sheild block rate from early on.. a thief charmed her and she obliterated my party. I threw so many rocks at her but she kept blocking or catching them TT_TT

( NB: First time through the game I didn't use any special characters... was an army of lancers for the most part )

Mustadio was great - he was the master of controlling a single enemy while you powerlevel :P
Mustadio - Don't Move, Don't Act... rinse and repeat
Other characters - CIVIL WAR! Hit each other for good xp! make sure you unequip counter and blade grasp abilities :P

To make games harder? Well I NEVER use the strongest team available. Orlandu has to be the most overpowered playable character in any FF, I used him a bit on my 2nd play through and he could easily do 999 damage per round absorbing every bit of it.

Style over substance for harder gameplay :P

Ravenstrike

66500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've completed several SSCC's

Squire,Chemist,Knight,Wizard,Monk,Archer and Lancer off the top of my head. My next one I was thinking of useing my Game Shark to make Ramza in a Soldier and doing a SSCC though I'll most likely also give him a Materia Blade with the gameshark.

I play way to much FFT. I actually have 3 full memory cards Just for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anyway check the forums over at www.Gamefaqs.com for the hardmode GS codes to make the game way more fun.
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Go through SW:KOTOR Naked and cant upgrade your lightsaber or anything else. Party members have to have no armor as well.

Dragon Force:Beating Scythe with just 10 Samurai, living hell but very challenging, cinsider yourself a Dragon Force God if you can do this, its not impossibel Ive done it.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, so you're a Dragon Force God yourself. Nice.

I hate playing hard games, so i've only done this once. In Pokemon Ruby, i took on the Elite Four only using level 40 pokemons.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never tried doing anything like that for the sake of my blood pressure. I get frustrated easily and have already broken several controllers for my PS2. In Metal Gear Solid 3, I didn't kill any of the bosses, and was on Extreme difficulty. Does that count? That's actually how I broke one of those controllers...

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played Suikoden 1 without using the souleater (i think....) in battles. Tir is a good boy....see. and I guess for Kingdom Hearts chain of memories, you can try not using the heartless cards -at all-.

or in FF7, don't use HP upping materia is it possible? i mean all that hp i fun!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: