Suikoden United and Illegal Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden III manga ordering question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Suikoden III manga ordering question Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've decided after much deliberating to order the first seven volumes of the Tokyopop released translation of the Suikoden III manga.

Now, the only place that I know of that has all seven volumes that I want to order for prices I'm willing to pay is at Anime Castle. (animecastle.com)

My question is this. Is Anime Castle, in your opinion a reliable place to order manga from? I don't want to be scammed out of my cash and I can be quite paranoid about these things so any words of wisdom on this place is appreciated.

NOTE: I understand this may be the wrong section of the board for such a topic. If a moderator feels this is out of place, please, move it.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The fact that they have Sonmay as publishers for many of their soundtrack CDs does make me suspicious but I have never dealt with them personally, so I'm not in a position to comment.

Not to mention that books are definitely less popular than CDs when it comes to bootlegs.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasent aware that volume 7 was out yet (at least in english) also in book 5 the writers state that they will need more than 7 volumes.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there are other sites as well; if you don't feel comfortable, shop around a bit-i've never heard of the one you're talking about, so i can't help you there.

worst case, you could always see if amazon or barnes and noble could get it for you; they may be big, evil corporations, but they're reliable as well.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've ordered from anime Castle and I've never had a problem from them. I usally got pretty fast service (a week on UPS ground (aka cheap) shipping) and everything was packaged relatively well and arrived in great shape. Credit card has always been charged correctly. I've had only one trouble with them once, which was when they send me the wrong item, but they quickly allowed me to exchange it, so it wasn't a big deal. I rather like them.

Edit: As far as manga goes...I think I've only ordered manga from them once, and it was the Japanese SKU. All the volumes I got were (AFAIK) legit, and came in good quality.

Their CD's are almost all Son May/Ever Anime, though, so they're of ...borderline legality, shall we say. But I've never had a bad experience with them ordering their more legit productrs. Last time I ordered from them was about a year ago, though.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you, that helps greatly.

Moderators, this topic has run its course, i.e. to service me. Whenever someone stumbles along it drunkily, can you lock it.

So, thanks everyone who posted trying to help, especially Sophita, because she's female , erm, the one who gave the most clear-cut answer stemming from first-hand experience with the web-site.

I'd donate some soldiers but... I don't want to, nyah. :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it's just my experience. I certainly hope you don't get dinged...I can just tell you it's never happen to me, and I've ordered from them about 3 times. ^^;

Everyone knows girls are more helpful anywa- *clobbered* Ooooh the paaainnn!!!!

Edit: and on a mod note, I think the topic should stay open so that others who've had experiences w/ the site can tell so or ask about reputable places to buy Suikoden merch.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith, there are only 6 Volumes out in English. The seventh book is available for pre-order only at the moment.

I'm ashamed to say, I've bought from some (most) of the Suikoden books from Amazon.com, and let me tell you, they are quite poor at getting you the right one.

I bought book five about 3 times and each time they shipped book 4. It took them that amount of time to realise that both of their links for book 5 actually took the order to book 4.

But on the flip side, I just got book 6 without any hastle today.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmmn, I just went to my local Barnes & Noble - they had 'em in stock, save the first one, which I had them order. Most book stores are very happy to order books for you, which is something that people seem to remember very seldom. Being able to check something in person before getting it is a really nice thing, I believe. And I generally avoid buying things online unless absolutely necessary.

Just my experience, though.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't be worried except that is practically my 'replacement' for Suikoden III itself, which as I'm sure we all have drilled into our heads by now, is not available in Europe. Sure, I could order the game and get all sorts of naughty things done to my PlayStation 2 but a place that'll chip for cheap (cheap being the main word) is really hard to find here, if indeed, I managed to find such a place at all. So I'm turning to the manga itself as the best option as a make-shift 'placeholder' of sorts in my Suikoden game collection.

I'm sure with minimal effort I could actually get the volumes off-line but... I'm lazy. And the book stores around my area are very lazy about these things (not to mention stupid, they are the types that would keep showing you volume 1 and going "It's Suikoden, isn't it?!" even though you keep asking for a different volume. So, very much Amazon off-line. :P )

As it is, I'll probably get around to it, but I'll look into getting the game itself first. That'd be a bigger plus.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You could do what I did and just go all out and buy the hardware from the US with all the fiddly bits needed to make it work here.

Also, PalominoMule, some bookstores actually do mind ordering books for you. Ottakars for example, only really like ordering books that they generally have in stock but are sold out of at this time - and generally you get your ordered copy weeks after the shop restock. They also have rarely heard of the books you ask for, and after ordering one for weeks, you get the wrong book.

Not saying all bookshops are like this; just most of the bookshops around the UK.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah. Maybe it's different in the UK - in the U.S., most bookstores I know of are very happy to do that for you, but I have no doubt that many would resist or refuse to do so. Mind you, it really - and I mean REALLY - helps if you can supply them the ISBN. So few people think to do so, but dammit, it can eliminate so many problems if you do.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I picked up the frst 2 volumes on amazon. But each one is listed as the same thing so you have to make sure you get the correct one. BEst bet would be to buy them in a borders or barns and noble. Ive read up thru 5.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will be ordering on-line the Japanese versions soon enough, for collection mostly since I won't read them because I can't yet, but I will probably try to decipher one of them.

I would like to know from where to order US versions too, other than eBay.

Now buying a US PS2 is the best thing to do for me, since I can play US PS1 games on it as well.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you mean the NTSC versions of the games? I think you can get Suikoden III still from Amazon.com - but your best chance is actually eBay, as much as people hate using due to the hiked prices.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: