Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Suikoden II Prestige
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think Suikoden II is most known for?
Being rare, high price, I'm gald to have one for that reason and the love of the game
14%
 14%  [ 12 ]
Being rare, high price, but that should be changed so more people(I) can get it
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
The game itself, being rare is just a minor detail
25%
 25%  [ 22 ]
It is the best game of all the Suikoden games
48%
 48%  [ 41 ]
It is just plan overrated and not even the best game of the series
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 85

Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a good topic and i definitely agree that there is a prestige associated with suikoden 2. I voted that it is the best game of the series because that is how I feel about the game. Suikoden 2 was the first suikoden i ever played and i was hooked from the beginning. I could barely bring myself to turn off my playstation and stayed inside for an entire weekend trying to finish the game. Ever since then suikoden has been my favorite rpg and i have proceeded to play the other three games. The other three games in the series were good and i enjoyed playing them, but it was never the same experience i got from playing suikoden 2. There is no one reason i can give for my preference, but it has continued to be my favorite.

Suikoden 2 is rare, but I don't believe that is the main reason for the prestige. Of course i am glad that i own a copy and the strategy guide, but all that is only as good as the game itself. If suikoden 2 was just another rpg there wouldn't be nearly the demand that there is just simply because it is hard to find. The actual quality of gameplay is the #1 factor.

I understand that some people believe that it is not the best of the series and i can understand that. The three other games each brought a different element to the series and those things may appeal to different people. Most notably suikoden 3, in my opinion, was very different from 1 and 2. The basic elements of a suikoden were there, but it followed a different path. These differences brought a lot of new fans to the series and for many it was the first suikoden they ever played. Knowing this i can easily see why it is some people's favorite. (Not to say that suikoden 3 is the only other favorite, but it is a good example) That said we are all entitled to our opinion and mine is that suikoden 2 was the best game and definitely my favorite.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SUikoden 2 is the best of the series in my opinion, however that is not why it's so famous. I've spoken to people who never even played SUikoden, and they know that SUikoden 2 is a rare and expensive game. One of my friends bought a factory sealed copy for over 200 and refuses to open it, saying that he's going to put it on ]eBay when the supply gets even lower. He'll never know how great this game is, but he certainly knows how rare and expensive it is. I adore this game, every aspect of it. I can't think of a single thing that I didn't like about the game, it had every single one of my favorite characters from Suikoden 1 as a returning character (even if Pahn wasn't playable) It continued the story perfectly, and the game itself is incredible on a stand alone basis. Unfortunately, my copy has a large scratch across it (thanks to my sister) that makes it impossible for me to ever enjoy the beauty of the storyline ever again.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I for one completely agree that II is the best game in the series but consider this, we are blessed that this entire series of games(except for IV) are in limited supply comparing to the majority of RPGs released, which like I said earlier effectively keeps out all gamers who is not determined to both spend time and energy/money to learn about this series of games.

If you think about it, yes, there are plenty of fans that loves series like wild arms, the tales games, star ocean... and to talk about it with other people who might like those games is about all they can get out of it. But because of the fact that the hunt to buy a copy of suikoden II is such a hard task, any rpg fan or game collector who may have never played any of the suikoden games considers it to be something worth pursuing. How many other game can say that not only it has a strong fan base which will keep growing through upcoming sequals, and on top of those fans about just as many people who doesn't care about the game worshiping it like gold.
StryderthePrince

Mithril Knights

37 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, this game changed forever the way I looked at things, especially in RPG's. I got it when it first came out and have been in love with it ever since. The storyline appeals to me, the multitude of characters and of course the aweosme ones form the first. I love that this game is rare, because that makes it a treasure. To me it is priceless. If I hadn't gotten it when I did....I don't know what kind of perosn I would be now. Certainly not here.
luc skywalker

6783 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Suikoden II Prestige Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The game is the best in its series hands down. I finished it seven times and still, I can't get enough of it. I played suikoden 3 and 4 and I still can't get enough of suikoden 2. Just want to say to the makers of suikoden series to give us a story that is as deep as suikoden 2 because frankly, that's what lacks the other suikoden games.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While the game is probably the best out of the series, people are acting like some other people do for Final Fantasy 7. The amount of fanboy/girlism for Final Fantasy 7, and Suikoden 2 at times is beyond sickening. Not for the fact that it's so fervent, but for the fact that people look down on other games of the series because of it. I mean geez, in the dissappointment about Suikoden 4 thread, people were dismissing number 4 merely because it wasnt a carbon copy of number 2. I mean geez people, we are turning into the fanboys that we cant stand, when it comes to Final Fantasy 7. You know, the ones who didnt like any of the other games because they differed in their systems from their "god send" Final Fantasy 7.

This is not meant to be insulting, but as with all other series of games, you have to judge each game individually rather than against the prior games. Otherwise you will hate all future games of the Suikoden series because they are not, just like Suikoden 2. At that point you will be no better than the Final Fantasy 7 fanboys people so despise.

So if you havent guessed what my vote on the poll is yet, I am voting to say it is overrated. Good yes, the greatest thing since sliced bread? Absolutely not.

Heavenfang

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, most of the "new" Suikoden fans seems to know it because of the price, but I just think that it's best of the series. Before I played it, I had played only FFVII and FFVIII from other rpg's. After I had played it through, I was stunned. I thought that if rpg's are this good, I wanna play more of them. :D And so I have. Nowadays I have become a Suikoden fan, tried to get my hands on nearly everything that has got the label "Suikoden" in it, and of course played other rpg's. But none of this could've happen if I hadn't played Suikoden II.
And believe or not, I like Suikoden IV. Of course it has it's flaws, like lenghty seajourneys, but which game is perfect?

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 2 was the first RPG i ever played. When i played it i thought "what crap game this will probaly have minor detail" then i started to get into the story and thought WOW! this is the best game i have ever played. So i think Suikoden 2 is prestige because of its great story and gameplay. (God knows how much money i spent renting it out untill i finished it) i think most people just judge it before they actually play the game. I hope that makes sense if it dosen't someone slap me.
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, in my opinion, it's the game itself. Suikoden II is really a good game, very good plot, great mini games, good dialogues, excellent war game and the 2D graphics were good. The only downside at the time was it competed with FFVII.
And it captures the gamer's emotions too.

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted that Suikoden 2 was a great game and the fact that it is so rare is the reason for the high price . People will pay these prices for their love of the Suikoden games .

I played Suikoden from the very first game and it was the story that was most appealing to me . I really liked the multitude of characters that you were able to recruit and play as , I liked the idea of the runes when compared to their equivalent in Final Fantasy games . The death scenes were tragic and the accompanying music really make even the emotionally resticted of us sad .

The Suikoden games were epic apart from Suikoden 4 in which you just felt as if you were along for the ride . Rhapsodia will look to fill in what now looks like an intentional void in that story though .
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's because Suikoden 2 is the best of the Suikdoens :mrgreen:
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden is a good game just for being Suikoden. Every Suikoden is a good game because the story of the True Runes and the massive number of characters make the game even more good to play.

The Suikoden games are becoming more famous with Suikoden 3 and 4 and most of the people who plays a game that is the third or fourth of a serie wants to play the first and second.

And when this people start to look for Suikoden 1 and 2 they go on forums and stuff like that, and in there (here) they see people talking that Suikoden 2 is the best game of the series and then they talk with they friends who don't know Suikoden that Suikoden 2 is the best Suikoden game and them this go on.

In the end, we, the Suikoden fans, are the ones who give Suikoden 2 all this prestige. And after you play Suikoden 2 you start to see that all the Suikoden games are good, and that is what really matters.

Suikoden 1 is better than Suikoden 2? suikoden 3 is better than Suikoden 1? Every Suikoden fan have they own answer for this question.

What is important, is that Suikoden, not only Suikoden 2, but all Suikoden games, are good and Suikoden will continue to have the best history, the best characters and the best fans, :mrgreen: as long as we, the Suikoden fans, live in this world.

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II, being my very first Suikoden game, makes it special to me. At first i thought it was just some game i could buy to pass the time, but it has changed me alot. It is truly one of the best games of it's time. Even today, i'm not bored playing it.

I feel pity for those who haven't played it. Since it is one of the best games ever. I guess that's why i loathe FFVII so much... (No offense though...) :)

Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Krawnik wrote:
It's viewed as highly as it is because it's a great game. The only reason it's rare is because it was crushed by a Final Fantasy title (I think it was VII at the time?) so most gamers were putting money into that instead of Suikoden. The game sold few copies and Konami decided not to issue more thinking financially it wouldn't be worth it.

Which is the reason it's so expensive. High quality + low quantity = high price. High demand + low supply = high price. Pretty basic economics.

Suikoden II came out in 99, which was when Final Fantasy VIII came out (9/9/99). Everyone ran out to buy FF8 after the massive popularity of FF7. Poor Suiko ^^"

Anyway, like this smart fellow I quoted said, it's viewed highly because it's an amazing game. I'd like more people to play it on one hand, but on the other, I think only the worthy should get to play this game... so it's hard to say, whether I think it's good that it's so rare or not. As I said in an earlier thread, I like the 'small, tight-knit, appreciative fanbase of Suikoden', and for that reason, I'd rather see only a few good people with the game than many people who don't deserve to play such a masterpiece =P

<opionated bastard> :mrgreen:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dark_Wanderer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my humble opinion, I think the Suikoden II is the best game ever in the whole series.

With an amazing, twisted and inevitable plot, great and heroic characters (especially Riou, my most favorite character in the whole gaming world), quick and smooth graphics, three styles of battles and an amazing music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: