Suikoden United and Irrational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your favorite TV show on right now
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Your favorite TV show on right now Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to be confused with the "Favorite TV show that didn't quite make it" thread. TV is pretty much a wasteland right now. I used to watch TV all the time as a kid, but now I just can't seem to get into it anymore. Even the Simpsons, which I used to live to watch, is far past its prime. And the good reruns are so overplayed I can't watch them anymore.

However, there are some gems out there. Quality programming can still be found. What shows do people like that are currently running? Why do you like them?

For me, my favorite TV show currently being produced is Degrassi: the Next Generation. American audiences may not know it, the only reason I can watch it is because my cable package gets a channel that happens to show it in syndication. The show, from what I hear, has a pretty decent folliwng in Canada, so our northern neighbors may know what I'm talking about.

It's the continuation of a Canadian series from the late 1980s that features high school students in Ontario (I think it's Ontario ... I'm American so I'm not very schooled in what Canadian cities look like). It, like it's predecessor from the 80s, deals with complex social issues like racism, sex, abortion, drugs, popularity, drinking, violence, and other things that affect teenagers today. And it doesn't do it in a condescending or detached way like most TV shows do. It respects its audience's intelligence, which is rare today. The acting is pretty good for a cast that, for the most part, has very little experience and although the characters can get a little over-the-top sometimes, they seem like real people and do a good job of avoiding being cartoonish. Sometimes the plotlines can border on soap-opera (how many problems can one small group of kids have anyway?) but it is always handled with heart and maturity.

In my mind, it is the best show currently on TV. What show is your favorite?

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite shows are South Park, and the Simpsons. But I think they are past their prime. They are not nearly as good as they were when they first came out, and it's starting to show. I fell like they are both treading water until next contract.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite shows are (in no real order):

Lost - I missed the first part of the season, but I watched one episode about 5 weeks in and I was hooked; the finale last night was awesome (but I REALLY want to know what is in that flaggin hatch!)

South Park - As Earthquake said, it's seen better days, but it's still better than most of the trash on TV these days.

Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t! - This season hasn't been as good as the previous two, but their last episode about Mother Theresa and the Dalai Lama was really interesting, as was their show about conspiracy theories. Next week's episode is about college, and I'm rubbing my hands together to see how they discuss it.

Daily Show - Unfortunately they're taking a two week break, but it's the best late night show out there by far and will be as long as Jon Stewart is at the desk.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

agreed. the simpsons and South Park are not nearl as good as they used to be. Luckily, Family Guy seems to haven't run out of steam. :)

Besides Family Guy, I also watch Macgyver. Why? because he's awesome. I don't care what you say, anyone who can make a flame thrower from a bicycle is totally awesome.

Quote:
I used to watch TV all the time as a kid, but now I just can't seem to get into it anymore.

It seems that not only TV, but almost all forms of media and entertainment are on the decline. Movies are nothing but sequels and remakes of old tv shows and marvel comics. A lot of popular music today is fake( no talent required. just look hot and use that box that makes you sound good). And as for video games, i feel that whenever i play a new game, i get the feeling that i have played it before (like first person shooters, racing games, platform) The cause for the decline of mass media? no innovation.

but back on topic, yeah, Macgyver and Family Guy forever![/quote]

Cheesier Monsters!

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I barely watch TV. Seriously the only show I watch is The O.C. and I have to Tivo it. And now its over! Till next season.

Oh also, I watch this Chinese show on Saturdays at 8:50pm (on Fairchild television). It helps me with my Cantonese. I don't know what it's called. I also have to Tivo it haha.

Both shows are addictive. And also from time to time Family Guy, and Law and Order SVU. But stillllll it's been a while. I haven't even seen any of the new FG eps!

I agree that TV is going down the crapper. Remember all those cool shows from back in the day? *memories*

The upside to this? More physical excercise! :P

Ok this is seriously the last edit. I just wanted to say that I see the people from Degrassi walking down the street downtown all the time haha. I've only seen the show like once though.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Recently TV has seemed pointless, I hardly watched stuff in the first place, however now all it seems is that I use the tv for movies. However, alot of my friends watch the OC, and I Personally have never seen it. Mostly watcher tv I watch is like law and order or somthing like that, because my girlfriend watches it and really there is not much escape. Its not a bad show, but it seems like the plots are starting to get very similar, maybe thats with all Tv shows however...

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, kind of interesting to see that a lot of viewers in what has been historically Television's sweet spot aren't interested anymore.

For what it's worth, I too, find myself watching less and less TV. I watch the Simpsons sometimes, but it's past it's prime; I feel like it's succumbed to Family Guy-itis where it is not a character sitcom so much as it is "Wouldn't this be wild and zany?" and not so much "Let's explore what happens when we throw the family into situation (x)" and doesn't have much a storyline to hold it together. It's just...zany and madcap. And I don't find that as funny as earlier shows that tended to be more cohesive. But it can still pop the funny joke every once in a while, so it's worth watching occasionally.

The main show I've been watching this season is Lost. I just adore that show, even if they never reveal a damn thing - though I hope that will change second season. Great plot, I love the fact there's a prime time mystery back on TV that doesn't start/end with someone getting shot, that isn't tied up in a neat bow in 25-55 minutes, and that doesn't start each week at point zero. Great characters (Sun alone? <3 Jin alone? <3 Showing the different perspectives between Sun and Jin by using some of the same situations in their flashbacks? <3 <3 <3) It's a great breath of fresh air and I'd encourage you all to check it out, especially the pilot (which will probably air again next week, if they go in order in reruns). If nothing else turns your fancy, there are hot men and women galore in it, so you may at least get some suitable eye candy. ;)

Kate does annoy me, though. Kate, seriously, when your people are in danger of being killed and you have to make it back to camp before a certain time and you JUST SAW A GUY GET BLOWEDY UP REAL DAMN GOOD, now is not the time to argue about getting to carry a stick of dynamite in your sack. You do not have to force yourself to do everything on the island, k? It's going to the point where if someone started a drinking game that consisted only of the rule that every time you said "I'm going with you" or likewise forced yourself into a situation/other people's issues, they would be dead long before the end of the hour. You're pretty, but so very, very annoying.

Jack really annoys the vinigar out of me, too. Such a pretenscious jerkwad who jumps to conclusions far, far too much. You're not a man of science, Jack. You're an idiot who sees a 2 and a plus sign and automatically assumes 4. You're no less a man of faith than Locke, considering how much you jump the gun. You're only useful on that island because you're a doctor - and frankly, your savior issues get in the way of that all too often. STFU, Jack.

And I kind of worry about the show collapsing in it's own self importance. It's what happened to the xfiles when they didn't give anything away right away, and it's what will happen to Lost if they don't give up some of the secrets. I've lost interest in actually knowing what's in the hatch - I just want the storyline to move on from it, if that makes sense.

(Did not expect ithat hatch would be so damn deep, though!)

I thought it was a great finale (even if it dallied in parts), though of course I'll be wondering if Michael, Sawyer, and Jin will make it. (Nooo!!! DO NOT TAKE JIN!)

I never did expect the others to be a bunch of surly fishermen, though.

Did anyone else think that the girl with them was totally Alex, Danielle's daughter?

The other show I've been watching pretty carefully is Desperate Housewives, but I think I'm done with it now. They don't have very good characterization on it, and that reallys turns me off - Lynette misses work, right? So when she gets the chance to go back, why isn't she thrilled about it? She hates spending all that time at home. Also, why couldn't they both work, with a nanny at home? If they're rich enough to be able to live in the suburbs with a one person income, then they're rich enough to be able to afford a nanny while they both work. Gabrielle is a self absorbed, vapid twit, right? One who certainly doesn't think of other worthiness of existance as she jerks around Carlos and John. So why, when she discovered she's pregnant, does she not get an abortion? It's the logical step her character would take. And they just killed off my second favorite character (Rex) last sunday, so on top of that, it's not like I have a lot of people I'm particularily interested in. Just Bree, and Rex was part of what made Bree so damn interesting. (Bree should so bring in Dr. Kimberly Shaw to help her with some of the "troubles" around Wysteria lane. :lol: )

I will give them one thing, though - they do have decent pacing. Unlike Lost, they solved the first season's big mystery, and dropped lines for a new one in the finale, which was quite well done if just a bit boring. (I do kind of hope they get rid of Mary Alice in season 2. Every lilt...of her voice...forms either an ironic statement. Or a question? )

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did watch TV quite a bit when I was younger, but now my TV exists as a monitor for my PS2, DVDs and VHS movies. I never liked sitcoms and reality shows turn me off, although I did watch The Swan during its run. Very biased in that in this society, public opinion about beauty is NOT skin deep. These ladies get totally made over and everything, and that's swell were it not the fact that the producers pick the most traumatized and ugliest women possible.

I do watch America's Most Wanted and Cops when I can if I'm not working on Saturdays, which is rarely these days. I like documentaries the most b/c they give you the facts and let you decide for yourself. On Discovery Channel, there was something on World's Greatest Mysteries about spontaneous human combustion, and they provided professional input as to whether or not it's possible. It left me hanging, but I'm still skeptical, and that's a kind of entertainment I like. Another one they did was about Nostradamus' theories, but I didn't watch that one.

The shows I watch the most these days (and am quickly declining from) are A&E's Cold Case Files and Montel, since he's pretty much the only GOOD talk show left. I used to watch talk shows to no tomorrow, but now they're dead. Gradually, I noticed a turnaround from different topics to one friggin topic only: paternity tests. If not paternity tests, then something to do with sex. Maury was the biggest offender, and I never watch him anymore b/c of that blatant turnaround.

So, in effect, I rarely watch TV programs. Even if I wanted to at times, a good game can hook me easier than a show.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Paternity test epsiodes are great guilitly pleasures but the results always conform to please the target audience. A show like Riki Lake, whose viewers are mostly young urban single women, will have the guy be the father 90% of the time. That way all the moms who were in the same boat as the girl on the show can get some kind of tacet vindication. "If my deadbeat baby's daddy won't pay up, at least yours will girl! Take him to the cleaners for me!" On a show like Jerry Springer, where the majority of the viewers are young single frat-boy-esque men, the guy is never the father. And for exactly the same reason. "My slutty ex-girlfrend tried to make it look like I was the father of her little brood. Rock on bro, make her look like the slut she is." It's all staged anyway.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
The main show I've been watching this season is Lost. I just adore that show, even if they never reveal a damn thing - though I hope that will change second season. Great plot, I love the fact there's a prime time mystery back on TV that doesn't start/end with someone getting shot, that isn't tied up in a neat bow in 25-55 minutes, and that doesn't start each week at point zero.

Totally. The way the show is structured, having several main plotlines moving while also focusing on a different character's back story each week is brilliant. When I first saw the preview for this show, I thought it looked like "Survivor: Drama" and that's part of the reason why I didn't watch it right away. But I was wrong. This is one of those dramas that you have to watch week to week, like it's one big movie that is broken up in 1 hour time slots.

I disagree with you about not revealing anything though... at this point, I HAVE to know what's in that hatch or my head might explode!!! They've milked this story long enough, and if they don't pay us off in Season 2, I might have to have a little talk with the writers.... Well, not really, but I'd be upset. :P

Probably the thing I love the show the most is the overall purpose of the survivors being on the island. I love Locke's character because he isn't thinking like the others about getting off the island--he believes the island brought them there for a specific reason. What that reason is, I don't know, but it makes you examine what all the characters bring to the table and how it can impact the story. This didn't happen by chance (and it wasn't Hurley's bad luck that made the plane crash), so I will continue watching this show until everything that can possibly be revealed about these characters is done so.

Quote:
Jack really annoys the vinigar out of me, too. Such a pretenscious jerkwad who jumps to conclusions far, far too much. You're not a man of science, Jack. You're an idiot who sees a 2 and a plus sign and automatically assumes 4. You're no less a man of faith than Locke, considering how much you jump the gun. You're only useful on that island because you're a doctor - and frankly, your savior issues get in the way of that all too often. STFU, Jack.

I know, who died and made him the leader? I know someone had to take charge and organize the survivors once they realized they were going to be there for the long haul, but why Jack??? What makes him so qualified??? Shouldn't they all have a say in what happens, shouldn't everyone be made aware of the situations taking place? To me, Jack has formed himself and elitist group of people that will do whatever he says (starting with Kate) and no one questions him except for Locke.

Quote:
And I kind of worry about the show collapsing in it's own self importance. It's what happened to the xfiles when they didn't give anything away right away, and it's what will happen to Lost if they don't give up some of the secrets. I've lost interest in actually knowing what's in the hatch - I just want the storyline to move on from it, if that makes sense.

(Did not expect ithat hatch would be so damn deep, though!)

I agree, they can only flesh out the same plot for so long before people start losing interest. But I think the "S" is about to his the "F" and a lot of stuff is going to go down in Season 2. The story I'm probably most interested in is Walt, the "special" boy, so we'll see what happens in a few months.

Oh, and the way the finale ended PO'd me a bit, because I was hoping for a lot of stuff to get resolved with new mysteries popping up at the end, but the only thing that was resolved is Claire's baby was named Aaron. :? They could have done way more with that 2 hour finale, I thought.

Quote:
Did anyone else think that the girl with them was totally Alex, Danielle's daughter?

I thought Alex was her son? Not a girl? I know her child was taken from her when it was very young, but I coulda swore that it was a boy. *shrug* I still have the finale on tape somewhere, so MAYBE I'll go back and watch that sequence again, heh.

Oh yeah, the Season 1 DVD comes out September 6th, just so you know, which tells me that Season 2 should start out pretty close to that date. ;)

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite tv shows right now are:

Lost: I have watched this show since the first episode and i have seen every one since. I think it is great. I usually don't get hooked on any non-animated shows, but this one has been the exception. It has a great story and i really enjoy how they give flashbacks to allow the viewer to see some background on the story. You really don't see this used too much and i think it is a great idea.

South Park: I love south park. I have been a longtime fan and i still continue to be one. I think it is extremely funny and continues to be with the new episodes. I have bought every season released on dvd so far and i will continue to collect them. I rarely miss an episode and if i do i will download them.

Family Guy: I loved family guy since it originally aried on fox during the super bowl, at least i think it was at halftime of the super bowl. Stewie had me hooked from the beggining. I continued to watch them on fox until they were cancelled, then i moved to cartoon network. Now that family guy is back on the air i still enjoy the new episodes on sudays and continue to watch them on cartoon network.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Drakken

The Crimson Sword

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its been said but really one of the few things I make sure I watch is Lost. Its so awesome and yet never seems to really reveal a direct plot.. is it purgatory?................ is it just some magical island? haha....... anyway if you haven't seen it; you should check it out. The first season dvd drops in September, and I'm hoping it has some bonus features to reveal a little more.

Favorite Character: got to give it to my hometown boy Sawyer. Yeah hes a jerk but hes a cool one and will end up with the girl. That southern charm shines through even if you are busy being a selfish prick.
And when your deepest thoughts are broken,
Keep on dreaming boy, cause when you stop dreamin? it?s time to die.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite TV shows at this time are as following:

Family Guy: Definitely the best show at this time. Its so funny there is no way to describe how funnny it is. I just started watching it last year but my brother owns the DVDs so he saw all of them. I watched it regularly on Cartoon Network or Adult Swin, but i now watch the new episodes on Fox too.

South Park: Still one of the funniest shows out there. Auctually if i posted this last November then it would be my most favorite show. I havent really seen that many but the ones that i ahve seen are great.

Home Improvement: Definitely one of the best comedy shows out there. I watch it every weekday at 5:00 on TBS as part of my routine after i get home from school. I still havent seen the last episode, but someday i will.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that the show I would have to say I laike above all others right now would be Avatar: The Last Air Bender. I have only seen a few episodes, but I liked it a lot.

A lot of my old shows were taken off recently. Yu Yu Hakusho, Kenshin, Gundam Seed, The Slayers and many others. It is a sad age of television.
Kekoa Alejandro

Reina Mia's Might

189444 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only show I'm watching nowadays is Avatar: the Last Airbender. This show is...this glorious mixture of an epic and folklore and fairy tales, with humor and beautiful action (the fight scenes are godlike, I say!). This show has displayed some of the best - if not *the* best - animation I have seen outside of a cinema. The way the bending (essentially "magic") powers are invoked is refreshing, with such involved physical movements and no verbal elements. And the characters! Yay, the characters! Some of them are quite archetypical, some are just wonderful, and some are characters I really haven't seen before (I refer to Sokka here, of course). I've always been a sucker for the set of four earthly elements, though. Such a sucker. If only something besides fire had been the evil one for once - water can be so vile, why can't it be the misguided one? What about air or earth? Bah. I tells ya'...I wrote an essay about all that for a reason, yah.

And, of course, it's American. It's like God decided to reward the faith I've had in American animation all these years, and rewarded it *handsomely*. Call it "American anime" or "Amerime" (I shudder at this obscenely awkward portmanteau) and I'll get all sorts of pissy, mind you. I hate the word "anime", though, so that's to be expected.

...I don't go off on tangents! Why would you ever suggest such a thing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: