Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Silverburgs are stratagists, but what about Odessa??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Silverburgs are stratagists, but what about Odessa?? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone ever wondered that while five of the Silverburgs in the 108 stars are stratagists, but Odessa was not? I mean, her brother Mathiu and uncle Leon was, as were the rest of her family, but yet she was a fighter (not sure about her other brother, but if it is Rikimaru... :lol: ).

Worse still, she does not even seem to have any "blood of stratagists" at all. I mean, how many people with the slightest bit of wit power would charge into their own base, even though it was plain obvious something was amiss?

Does anyone have an explanation for this??
Mengo

Self-proclaimed Genius

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, are we really sure she isn't a strategist (at least having some skills at it) ? when looking at the rebels crew at the beginning of suikoden 1, you find her, Flik, Viktor, Humphrey and Sanchez. If she isn't the strategist of the group, then who is it ?
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Odessa is more of a radical, but I imagine she's got some strategy in her blood. It's never defined very well, but I always saw her and Sanchez being the ones who came up with the plans.

As far as her rushing into the base; Odessa (and Mathiu and Caesar I think) is (are) more hot blooded than any other Silverberg, I think. All of them tend to place their emotions above their logic, and thus get into some more dangerous situations as they rush in to try to help those they love. Leon and Albert are almost the exact opposite and are more logical, and weigh their choices and decide according to what is logically the best move. ...I don't think I'm making much sense here.

Basically, I think Odessa (or Mathiu or Caesar, really) is the kind that, if her house were burning down, would rush in to try to save things that meant a lot to her (or at least would certainly want to), whereas Leon or Albert would probably think about insurance forms and the (monetary) worth of what was lost in the fire. Not that they wouldn't be sad, it just ...wouldn't come to them as a first line of thought.

...I still don't think I'm making sense. Oh well...

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it's any consolation I thought that made perfect sense. I doubt Odessa was strategyless, she created herself a rebellion (albeit small), you must have some sort of plan or how do you convince anyone to believe in you and your chances of defeating a very large and malicious empire.

As to running in to the base she may well have been fine if it wasn't for her instinct to save that child. I can't remember the words but it was probably something like she said she was a woman first blah blah, I'm bad with quotes. Hope that helps explain things to you a little Halberdier and since this is the first post I noticed of yours, welcome to the site.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Silverburgs are stratagists, but what about Odessa?? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

halberdier wrote:
Has anyone ever wondered that while five of the Silverburgs in the 108 stars are stratagists, but Odessa was not?

Well, to be nitpicky, Odessa was not a Star of Destiny. =P j/k

Quote:
I mean, her brother Mathiu and uncle Leon was, as were the rest of her family, but yet she was a fighter (not sure about her other brother, but if it is Rikimaru... :*laugh*: ).

Well in my opinion, it's simply that Silverbergs are known as strategists. It's not to be confused with "all Silverbergs are supposed to be strategists". Or let's use an example in our own real life. The Jackson family are known to be singers (Jackson Five + Janet + La Toya, etc). But that doesn't mean that every Jackson has to be singers.

And even as a "fighter", I think Odessa showed a bit of her "strategist" bit shown by the bow as her weapon of choice. It's certainly not as direct/violent as sword or spear or axe, and the use of a bow would need more skill than just brute power.

Quote:
Worse still, she does not even seem to have any "blood of stratagists" at all. I mean, how many people with the slightest bit of wit power would charge into their own base, even though it was plain obvious something was amiss?

Does anyone have an explanation for this??

In my opinion, I think she's not that bad at all. Strategists tend to not be able to lead, but since she has the natural born leader kind of aura/charisma on her, she just sort of doubles up as the leader rather than being pure strategists. So it's like 75% leader and 25% strategist. In the end though, I agree with Sophita when she said that Odessa was more of a heart-over-logic kind of woman. So her decision to charge into her own base was done because of her heart, not her brain. Not to say that she's stupid, mind you. But it's just that she's one of those people.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Many thanks to PF!!

I must admit that it is true that strategists seems to have the lack of leadership qualities. However, there is this one particular person that has brains and leadership too. I am, of course, talking about Leon Sliverberg in Suiko 2.

Leon had led the Highland army for a few times, like the attack on the merc fort belonging to Viktor, and the one when Shu did the "fire" thingy. I personally think that strategists can, too, lead.

Quote:

It's never defined very well, but I always saw her and Sanchez being the ones who came up with the plans.

Was it really so? SANCHEZ, of all people, planned for the liberation army?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
DocFrance

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure, Silveberg has become a household name when it comes to strategists, but that doesn't mean every Silverberg is skilled in the art of war. My father, his father and his brother, my brother, and I are or have been in the Air Force - but that doesn't mean that my children are guaranteed to be. Caesar and Albert's father George isn't known for doing anything specatacular, and neither is Matthew's and Odessa's mysterious brother.

Odessa was more of a leader than a planner. She could have been a Tenkai Star if fate had dealt her a better hand.

That, and she had to die in order to further the plot.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Was it really so? SANCHEZ, of all people, planned for the liberation army??

This makes quite a bit of sense actually. Sanchez would have the best insight as to the actions of the imperial army, and there movments (unless he was kept in the dark, which I find HIGHLY unlikely) He would've gained the trust of the liberation army be either A) Using his pulls in the government to have them fake a loss (Allow the plum tree to wither so that the peach may blossom) or B) Defeating the Imperials legitimately by exploiting his knowledge of their movements and actions. He would be trusted if it were truly a monumental victory, and if not, he might be trusted toplan the next. Once he gained a series of victories he would become the fulltime strategist of the liberation army.

Though one thing bothers me, Odessa only requested her brother's help AFTER she knew she was dying. This presents me with two seperate theories, either A) She knew Sanchez was a spy and wouldn't reveal it (much the same way her death was covered up) because she knew it would kill the liberation army, or B) She WAS the liberation army strategist, and knew that in her absence, only Mathiu could take over. Weird eh?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weren't Odessa and Mathiu not on good terms prior to her death? Mathiu's words when you met him in Seika seems to hint at this; something about not using their strengths or another...

In terms of leadership, Odessa is still quite many points above Leon. Leon was a General serving under Jowy's command, whereas Odessa led her own army (and as mentioned above, would have fit the Tenkai star figure if fate had not interfere).

Sanchez. He probably played a Tesla-like role, a secretary of sorts to the army. He might contribute some strategies here and there, but I doubt he'd take an active role planning a war against his own beloved Empire. However this is only speculation on my part.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although i wouldn't consider Odessa a conventional strategist, i would think she had strategist skills. I think of Odessa as possessing the skills of a strategist, but with a desire for action. Most of the silverbergs only use their skills when called upon. Odessa saw the need for her skills to be used, after her husband's death, and she sprung into action. She took the leadership role upon herself, and in my opinion, worked as both a leader and a strategist at the same time. Obviously in order to form a resistance it takes some sort of strategy, and as the leader Odessa must have possessed this. If Odessa had honed her skills as Mathiu had done, I believe she could have become an adequate strategist.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Kit-Kit

Blue Poppy

4655 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe she had used the stategic sense to know when she was going to die, that it would be detrimental for the liberation army to known she had fallen. Same as when Ceaser was trying to save Chisha sorta by having Hugo pretend to be the flame champion.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sasarai's little pet wrote:
I believe she had used the stategic sense to know when she was going to die, that it would be detrimental for the liberation army to known she had fallen. Same as when Ceaser was trying to save Chisha sorta by having Hugo pretend to be the flame champion.

Well Kit, while that could be viewed as a form of strategy, it seems more like common sense to me. I actually think it might be possible that Humphrey played some sort of pivotal role in the strategy of the Liberation Army. Like Sanchez, he would have an inside view as to the abilities and strategy of the SME (as he was an imperial swordsman for the empire afterall) And whereas Sanchez might be hesitant to attack the nation he loved so dearly, Humphrey looks to me, like he would have much less of a problem doing just that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit-Kit

Blue Poppy

4655 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My master Sasarai wrote:

Well Kit, while that could be viewed as a form of strategy, it seems more like common sense to me. I actually think it might be possible that Humphrey played some sort of pivotal role in the strategy of the Liberation Army. Like Sanchez, he would have an inside view as to the abilities and strategy of the SME (as he was an imperial swordsman for the empire afterall) And whereas Sanchez might be hesitant to attack the nation he loved so dearly, Humphrey looks to me, like he would have much less of a problem doing just that.

I thought Sanchez was a total doushe
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I thought Sanchez was a total doushe

Agreed, I wanted him to die so badly for having Odessa murdered. I sat for so long wishing that it was possible for Flik to chop his head off.

Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

halberdier wrote:

Was it really so? SANCHEZ, of all people, planned for the liberation army?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't think it's ever defined in canon, so that's just my opinion.

But I do find it quite likely; they had a small force, and Sanchez is the only one (I believe) who doesn't fight of the up and ups. To me, that suggests that he's more heavily involved with the planning. Otherwise, what reason does he have to be on the high end of the liberation army? To be so high up in the chain of command suggests (to me) that he must have had an active role beyond ordering supplies and the like.

As far as him plotting against his beloved empire, more likely he was reporting back to them on every movement. Him being that high up and commanding the strategy has benefits; the imperial court can tell him what they want the rebellion to do and he can direct the actions of the Liberation Army like so. I'm sure the imperials allow the Liberation Army small victories so that they don't suspect anything, and they have the added benefit of knowing (and being able to influence) the Liberation Army's every move, thus allowing them to put their heel down whenever they wish, really.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: