Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why the Silverbergs seem to be the only good strategists in the world
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would definitely be interesting for another non-Silverberg related character to take the hot seat of Tenki star in the next game, perhaps against a true blood Silverberg in the Chikai star position.

They probably appear to be "everywhere" because all the settings that we've had so far are placed around SME/Toran. The further we get away from their homeland, the more likely we'd get one from a different lineage/school of thought. Like Salome of Zexen.

Of course, they could always appear anywhere else for no particular reason; along the lines of Jeane and Viki, also Leknaat.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yum, Starbucks.

Yeah, I think the best explanation I can offer has been hinted at already. The Silverberg bloodline is clearly permanently intertwined with the assembly of the Stars of Destiny, they're as important a factor in the turning gears of Destiny as the True Runes. The only reason that the Silverbergs appear left right and centre is that they're written into the Destiny of the 108.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They reason they come back is because they're popular. Fans love the Silverbergs. The Suikoden creators see this, and decide to keep the Silverbergs coming back.

^Actual quote!
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Note: I have another thread stating a Sliverburg not being a strategist, showing that not all Silverburgs are one.

Anyway you guys seem to have forgotten something, the main strategist for suiko2 is NOT a Silverberg, even if he received Silverberg training. That is why he does things against Silverberg beliefs, like put himself in such great danger.

Also, I do not count Caeser in Suiko3 as the main strategist. He can't even come up with a decent strategy to save his own butt. Rather, I give the role of main strategist to Salome, which proves that Silverburgs are not the best strategist in the land.
Ridual J?ger

2nd Armored Cavalry Regt.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's kinda cool having a Silverberg everytime. But how about having a Silverberg who was banished from the family for immoral tactics on your side.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the Silverburgs have been around so long, why hasn't there been a strategist who learns their tactics and counters them yet? It's like professional poker players. You have all these superstars, like Doyle Brunson, who has been playing poker for 50+ years, and after he wrote his book everyone was able to use his strategy against him, forcing him to change the way he played poker. You'd figure someone would buy "Leon Silverberg's Super System to Winning in Times of War" and find out how to beat him, right?

halberdier wrote:
Also, I do not count Caeser in Suiko3 as the main strategist. He can't even come up with a decent strategy to save his own butt. Rather, I give the role of main strategist to Salome, which proves that Silverburgs are not the best strategist in the land.

Caesar does much more strategizing in the manga, but I don't know if you would consider that canon or not. His role is definitely expanded on, and he doesn't come off as a stoned, arrogant loser. Salome is a good strategist too, but to me he's more of a politician than a real military strategist. He was good at manipulating governments, not particularly good at planning a battle. *shrug*

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Caesar does much more strategizing in the manga, but I don't know if you would consider that canon or not.

SARS officially stated that the manga is not canon.

Anyway, he is much cooler in the manga, but that's not the discussion we're having.

Quote:
If the Silverburgs have been around so long, why hasn't there been a strategist who learns their tactics and counters them yet?

Because every main strategist we've had so far has had different tactics. Mathiu was all about preseriving life, Shu was too underhanded to be predicted, Caeser didn't do much, and Elenor didn't do ANYTHING except anticipate the pincer attack at Obel. On top of this, we have Albert and Leon, who we didn't see enough of to understand their methods.

Quote:
You'd figure someone would buy "Leon Silverberg's Super System to Winning in Times of War" and find out how to beat him, right?

And that's why he never wrote a book. Leon isn't dumb enough to expose his secrets, not to mention that without a printing press, he'd have the only copy.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I brought up the manga to defend Caesar as a tactician, that's all. I'm not changing the subject.

As for the book thing I mentioned, I had my tongue firmly planted in cheek with that remark. All I'm saying is that the Silverburgs are clearly a family of tacticians, and I'm just wondering why nobody who has learned their strategies has discovered how to turn them around on them? (Well, Shu did in one case against Leon by burning down the forest, but I just mean that this family shouldn't be so strong unless they're also highly skilled at improvising on the battlefield).

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've met many girls who think Salome is THE man. Calm intellect is one thing, but the amount of human care he shows towards Chris (not being too pushy, and letting her have her emotional space) is just way too sexy. I guess that has almost nothing to do with whether he is a good strategist or not, though... :P
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The timeline has been updated with Suikoden 4 information. Julian Silverberg helped Kranach Rugner to take over the Holy City of Rupanda - now known as Gregminster - without any casualties. So the first Silverberg of the Scarlet Moon Empire advised the Emperor directly. Theoretically, he could be a Tenki star.

Elenor was born 19 years after the formation of the Scarlet Moon Empire and so since she herself became a strategist, Julian must have taught her everything she knows because supposedly he was the best in the Empire and the only reputable school as far as I know was the Soledt Academy of Military Science in Harmonia which was probably not an otion because there might have been a war between the Scarlet Moon Empire and Harmonia.

Elenor was one of the top strategists in the Empire. She was Chief Strategist either with or without the reputation of Julian Silverberg. Her name was recodniseable as far as the Island Nations, so her actions may have been well known. Maybe it's genetic that the Silverbergs are great strategists.

She was also responsible for the Kooluk-Scarlet Moon war after the Kooluk and Island Nations war. Since you have never heard of Kooluk before now leads me to believe that it was taken over by the Scarlet Moon Empire. I'm not sure if Kanakan was part of Kooluk, but it's always mentioned and reputable for it's Wine in most Suikodens. I'm assuming that Elenor passed on her teachings to her family.

Leon and Mathiu both have the Silverberg gene. The teachings that were passed down in the Silverberg family and the battle history and the fact that their family legacy is one of brilliant strategic minds is what they must have grown up with. And so what else could they have been. The same with Albert and Caesar - it's in their blood.

Apple graduated from the Soledt Academy of Military Science, but she was inexperienced and her skills were not as great as Mathiu and so she became his student. Also, Klaus (another Soledt graduate) could not beat Shu who was educated by Mathiu, so generations of strategic knowledge was a factor. Shu was Mathiu's best student and so in a way he gained all of Mathiu's knowledge on and family teachings on tactics and so I agree that in a sense he is like a Silverberg.

The Suikoden games are all about linking characters so that fans could relate to them. Such as Albert's relation to Leon that made him strive to make a name for himself. Caesar was not so motivated, but he had the Silverberg knowledge and was trained by Apple and he did study in Harmonia, so he wasn't as useless as everybody was saying. He knew what he was talking about and to an extent could predict what Albert was doing.

I can't comment on Solome because he was a basic strategist, but he had connections with Nash and maybe there is something more there. There is no information that I can find in the character section on him, but he is the other Tenki(lofty star) which doesn't have anything to do with being a strategist. Sadness, Salome might have acted in a sensitive way towards Chris but on the inside he was just like Boris and Percival.

If the next Suikoden is set in Falena as everyone hopes and assumes, then I don't see a connection with the Silverberg family. So there should be a new strategist. Maybe even a new strategy family lineage that rivals the Silverberg's, but that's just a thought. But still, why break with tradition. I wouldn't mind if the next main strategist is a Silverberg as long as there is a good story to back it up.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I can't comment on Solome because he was a basic strategist, but he had connections with Nash and maybe there is something more there. There is no information that I can find in the character section on him, but he is the other Tenki(lofty star) which doesn't have anything to do with being a strategist. Sadness, Salome might have acted in a sensitive way towards Chris but on the inside he was just like Boris and Percival.

You probably should stop making conclusive statements without proof (which you have been doing a number of times in other threads), because this is pretty much wrong. Salome cared for Chris due to his loyalty towards her. He wasn't "like Borus and Percival inside."
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's the impression I got from the manga stories. I was supposed to state that as being my opinion. Is there a Salome description in the character section, I never found one. Also can you tell me what his connection to Nash and/or Harmonia was.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is no Salome entry in the character list because I am waiting for a person called "karthur" to submit an entry which she promised to write.

However, there is a pretty detailed editorial about him that I wrote more than a year ago available in the editorial section.

Salome's connection with Nash is that they have exchanged information with each other periodically in the past.
camus_greenhill

Office of the Merchant Guild Secretary

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nutflush wrote:
Salome is a good strategist too, but to me he's more of a politician than a real military strategist. He was good at manipulating governments, not particularly good at planning a battle. *shrug*

And Albert Silverberg wasn't? He didn't do much military strategizing, but he certainly was a strategist when it comes to manipulating politics.
PirateSigurd

Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Klaus didnt study under a Silverberg, he did under Shu, but I wonder if Shu is really Mathiu's son, he lookslike a Silverberg.

"The Blood of the sea flows through my veins, I return to it now to be reborn" Troy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: