Suikoden Unique and Irrational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Games You Regret Not Playing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Games You Regret Not Playing Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can't play every game in the world. Sometimes we wish we can, but that's pretty impossible. Then there are times when a game becomes so successful, years down the road you find yourself saying "I could have bought/played that one".

So this thread is dedicated to the games that we missed out on. True, we can probably pick them up now, but here's your chance to share with others, so maybe someone else won't make the same mistake.

As for me, I regret not getting into any of the Shadow Hearts series. Someone spoiled the plot for the two games, so I don't plan to pick it up at all now. It's a shame because I heard it was really good. Cult hits usually are.

But the game I regret not picking up the most is Xenogears. I can't find this game at all now. I played it for about 3 hours because I was holding it for a friend, and I really did enjoy it. For some reason, I never picked it up following that 3 hour play through. And so here I am, all those years later thinking about what could have been, starting a thread about games which were lost.

Hopefully none of you missed out on a game on that caliber, so I'm interested in your stories.

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I regret not picking up Xenogears, too! I heard it was so good and now... argh. : /

I regret getting into the Tales of series so late in the game, too. Symphonia is great, my favorite game of all time. I missed out on the opportunities to play Tales of Destiny 1 and 2... argh.

Oh yeah, and the Lunar series! I got my greedy little paws on the second game, but I can't get the first one at this point in time. I heard that one was pretty good and had funny characters, so that makes me sad! I enjoyed Eternal Blue, so...

This isn't really the same, but I'm sad that I got into Suikoden so late. I only got into it when the third game came out, and boy, did my bank account hurt after getting the second game. >_>

I sort of wish I had tried out Rhapsody while I had the chance, or picked up Valkyrie Profile waaaay back in the day when it first came out. A lot of the games that I'd like to get now, like Legend of Mana, became so damn rare that it'll cost my SOUL to try to get it.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GAME I WISH I NEVER SOLD: I wish I never sold Tales of Eternia after I was finished, since it had strong gameplay, strong story and strong music tracks. That's why with certain RPGs like Wild ARMS, Suikoden and Grandia, even if I never play them again, I'll keep them for the benefit of having them. Other series like Final Fantasy I can sell off b/c Square games are pretty easy to find where I live. But if I could find Tales of Eternia again, I'd be SO happy. :D

GAME I WISH I PLAYED MORE: Xenogears, since I got a little bit into the game before it got buggy and didn't work. I'm not in a hurry to find it, since I'm not into mecha games, but I hear the storyline is very, very deep.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are some games which i wanted to play. But some of them i did get the chance to get, but there are some which never presented themselves to me.

First of all, Suikoden I and II. Yeah, i've only played III and IV. But you can't seem to find them anywhere. *sigh*

Star Ocean II. People talk about it. I got Star Ocean III and played Star Ocean I, and i loved them both. So If SOII is anything like those two, i'll definitely want it!

Lunar: People talk about it, so i want to know what's so cool about it.

Wipeout: I could have gotten this trippy, psychedelic racing game, but my brother chose something else at my advice. What was i thinking?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a lto of games I want to play. I think that the Lunar series and the Xeno series sound good, but I never got around to playing them. I have only played one Tales game and I am interested in playing the others. I also regret not playing FFs 1-3 and all the Gameboy Color FFs. The old Zeldas sound fun and I haven't played those.

I have a tendency to try to get a "perfect file" and I play many games over and over again which doesn't allow me to play new ones that often.
Percival

Go Go Power Rangers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunar!! I actually played it a few years ago, but I couldn't get into it. My brother's friend lent me the special collector's edition with the hardcover extra book, guidebook and everything... aghhhh. He took that back, but completely forgot about Final Fantasy 8 ;) I think it would be good if I actually had some patience.

Star Ocean 2 is great! I went over the clock timer on that one xD
Sarah

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to say that I feel quite lucky to have had the chance to play -most of- those games.
Xenogears is, without doubt, one of the best RPGs released on Playstation, and so are Lunar (Silver Star Story), VP and Legend of Mana. Rhapsody was okay...
I am not into 'mecha games' either, but Xenogears has much more to it than just mechs and gears! (It is way better than Xenosaga, in my humble opinion.)
You should find those four games somehow. It's true, they have become a rarity nowadays, but you can find them on-line if you look.
Arrgh, I wish I could fax a copy to all of you who are looking for them...
I just get uber-excited when someone is playing -or wants to play- any of the games I love.
*Sighs*

I never got to play the other Tales' too, and I do regret that, however, I've never had them in the first place so I guess it's understandable.

I would say one of the games I deeply regret not being able to play is Star Ocean: the Second Story.
When I had it, I managed to get about halfway through but I just didn't complete it back then, and now, I don't have it anymore.
..After flipping though one of the old game magazines and reading something about its endings, I kind of realised my loss.

Sega Genesis' Sword of Vermillion and Phantasy Star 3.
When my Sega Genesis was alive and working, I could have played either of them, but I didn't.
Thankfully, Phantasy Star has been remade for GBA and I finally got a chance to enjoy it. But Sword of Vermillion... it lies there, dusty, untouched : (
It must be one of a numerous obscure RPGs that I was lucky enough to come across, but missed my chance to play.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I don't exactly have any games I regret not playing but I do have some I regret not buying. They're Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Chronicles, and Xenogears. I played them all before via renting them. Now I'm starting to regret the fact that I just didn't act like I lost it and paid the video store.
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden I! I was not interested in suikoden at that time yet so i didn't buy a copy of it. when i bought suikoden II and liked it, i looked for a copy of suikoden I but it's not available anymore...sobs... :cry: :cry: :cry:
i regret my stupid action! hope i find a time machine and travel back... :cry: :cry:

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have no more regrets, i have got my hands on all the RPG's that i could not get here in Ireland.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mine are Persona 2 and Xenogears. I can remember whenever I went into the game store (I was smaller then, like 9-10) Persona 2 would always catch my eye, but I'd never actually get around to buying it. At one point I asked the clerk about the game and he said that if I didn't like alot of text, I wouldn't like this game. (Probably because I was smaller, though my favourite genre then and now are RPGs). I rented it anyways, but I couldn't even beat the first boss because I didn't understand the battle system (Talking to monsters etc.) Now I've played Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, I really like the games and I know how rare Persona is now... wish I could try that game again.

Also for Xenogears, I was on vacation, and I had to choice the rent two games, but only had enough money after that to buy one. The two games I choose were Suikoden 2 and Xenogears. I remember played Suikoden 2 (At the beginning fort, with Viktor/Flik) and loving it. I barely remember playing Xenogears, and don't remember anything about it. Thankfully I chose Suikoden 2, because that got me into the Suikoden series, and brought me here, but now I've heard how good/popular Xenogears is (And I've thought Xenosaga is okay) so I want to play it again.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The games that I regret not buying are actually kind of low now. It used to be astronomically high, but well...I'll give you a quick rundown of my console history.

when I was...3 I think, my parents bought me a NES (it was relatively new at the time: 1986)
Then, I got a brand new N64 when that hit shelves in the late summer of 1996.
In Christmas of 2000, I was able to get a PS2.
And in Christmas of 2003, I got a Gamecube.

And so, during my lifetime, I had skipped the SNES and the PS1 entirely, thus, all the cool games that came with that. But thanks to the power of E-bay, I've been able to aquire some of those legendary games that I was unable to buy back then because I didn't have the console for it.

But there are still games that I haven't gotten yet, like the Persona games. I played them once on a friend's PS1 when he had it and I fell in love with the game (which he then promptly sold it, the jerk. ><). Since I got a PS2, i've been desperately searching for it, but with no luck whatsoever. ;_;

The Lunar games are another thing that I regret not finding. all of my friends who at one time owned the game said it was great, and I experienced a fraction of it when I bought Lunar for the GBA, but there is so much more to the game than what was given in there, that I've been searching for this series as well.

No luck yet, but I haven't given up hope.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really think I have any regrets concerning games I have never played, since having not played them, I have no idea if I would have liked them and, thus, don't feel like I've missed out. The closest thing I can think of is when I learned of the existence of Lufia II, had I not been able to track down and secure a copy, I would have regretted missing out as I enjoyed the original.

For a while, I regretted being introduced to (SNES) Final Fantasy II too late to secure a copy of the game for myself. It was so incredibly hard to find in a second-hand game shop, let alone complete. Before I got a steady job, I would find it for roughly $50, which included pretty much just the cartridge, so I had to pass on it. (later finding a complete (well, at least with the box and instructions, not sure about the map) for $150. There was no way I was going to spend that amount of money on a used game, so I essentially gave up the search... until Final Fantasy Chronicles was announced, then I got the game as soon as I saw it. Since the version of Final Fantasy IV included in the package is considered to be superior to the SNES version, I don't have any regrets about not picking it up.

Essentially, I go by the last words of the Queen song "Innuendo": whatever will be, will be.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Lunar series on PS1. I rented Silver Star Story from a friend, and he went on and on and ON about how great of a game it was. For some reason I could never really get into it though, and I only got a few hours into the game. Now I wish I had really played it all the way through, however, and I'm sure that would have sparked my interest to buy and play the sequel.

Another game that I regret not playing, is Breath of Fire III. Almost everyone says it is the best game of the series. My history with this game is almost exactly like the Lunar one. I borrowed this from a friend but only played a couple hours of it, and now I can't find it anywhere. Much later in time I bought BOF IV when it came out and loved it, so I'm really kicking myself now for not giving III a real chance.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never got into the Lunar or Tales series and I regret it... I keep hearing about it, on this board and on the net. I intend to get into the Tales series because I think there's one game coming to north america some time soon.

Skies of Akadia (sp?), I think that's the name, was another game that I heard about but never got around to playing it.

If you posted this a month or so ago, I also would've wrote Arc the Lad, but I've just started with twilight of the spirits. So that's one down, many to go.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: