Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A new theory regarding the Crowley and Mazus timeline.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: A new theory regarding the Crowley and Mazus timeline. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For those that are unfamiliar with the Crowley and Mazus reincarnation theory, this piece was taken from:

http://suikox.com/spec/crowleymazus.html

------------------------------------

Reincarnation of Crowley and Mazus
Written by SARSadmin
June 18th, 2003

SARSadmin wrote:
The mountains shook, the skies were shattered, and the ground was torn in IS 340. In the land that is now called the "Badlands" that lies between Toran and Dunan, two powerful sorcerers, Crowley and Mazus, had a magical duel which permanently destroyed the landscape. The force was so extreme that these two sorcerers were themselves destroyed.

The mystery starts five years later in IS 345 when the official timeline states that Crowley is born. Mazus is also born 19 years later in IS 374. Some think this is an error in Konami's part. However, Konami has stated that this is no error. Then what exactly happened? No, it wasn't people with the same name bring born, who also became rivals after beicoming powerful sorcerers. What I speculate is, these two sorcerers reincarnated.

Before proceeding, let me explain reincarnation. As opposed to resurrection which aims to restore life to a dead body, reincarnation aims to transfer a person's soul into another body, or at times into an unborn child. Thus, it doesn't matter if the original person's body is destroyed completely--the person will be able to reincarnate as long as their soul is intact (and they tend to be, unless affected by powerful runes such as the Souleater.

In the case of Crowley and Mazus, the fact that they are powerful sorcerers makes it possible that they would know the secret to reincarnation. Not only that, these two sorcerers are known to be interested in achieving a power equivalent to true runes without the use of one. Thus, it is simple to deduce that conquering their mortality has been one of the main focuses in their decades of research.

Furthermore, Crowley is known in history as the one who invented unite magic. In an "old book" from Suikoden 1, it is said that the "ancient sorcerer Crowley" invented unite magic. Typically, ancient refers to more than a millenium ago--definately not a mere century.

However, the greatest proof that the Crowley and Mazus are the same as the Crowley and Mazus who destroyed Senan in IS 340, is that Crowley and Mazus are rivals now and then. How can people with the same name, same profession, and the same relationship exist unless they actually are the same people? It is silly to say that the Crowley and Mazus from IS 340 are different from the ones we have seen in the games, there simply are too many evidences pointing towards them being the same person--and if that is the case, reincarnation seems to be the method they used.

------------------------------------

This theory makes good sense to me, it sounds reasonable.

Now, the theory that you are about to read, I have written, it shows another possible explantion for the cause of these great events.

I don't know if this idea has been proposed before, so bear with me.

Alright, so I'm watching Back to the Future III the other day (you know the one where they travelled to 1885, the old west), anyway, I was thinking, what if Marty or Doc were not able to get back to the future? Okay, now I know what your just thinking. "Oh no, how tragic! Our heros left in 1885 with the torment of Mad Dog McGrif hot on their heels, chasing after with despair. What kind of back to the future movie is this anyways!? I demand to see the director!" I digress... The point is, ultimately, they would have lived out their lives, and died before they were even born!

Now back to Suikoden. You can probably see where I'm going with this.

We know time travel is possible in the suikoden world; for example when Mcdohl, Viktor, and I think Cleo went back in time the the village of the rune. Or was it Pahn? Well I don't really remember who went back in time. What is important is that time travel is possible in the suikoden world.

Now for whatever reason, accidental or on purpose, you can speculate, Crowley and Mazus travelled back in time, and at some point battled each other. Now, I'm not going to speculate who travelled first, who travelled second, maybe they travelled together, how far back did they travel, how many times did they travel, maybe they even travelled forwards a couple of times, who knows. That's not important for now. For that matter, you can come up with almost any explanation you want to, and they can appear at almost anytime throughout history. But back to the point, I think they ultimatley met their fates at those mountains, and that is their true end. Perhaps they did not reincarnate at all. This idea may not be a popular one, ending two significant characters, but this explanation does show that they could have been born after they died.

I am not against the idea of reincarnation, futhermore I offer nothing to discredit the possibility of reincarnation. I do, however, think that time travel is a plausible idea. Perhaps even more so to reincarnation. Time travel is possible we've known this for some time. Even Vikki, not one of the brightest individuals, travels through time and space quite often. As far as reincarnation goes, to my knowledge, it is not possible in the suikoden world, and is just speculation at this point. But if anyone could do it, I'm sure it would be Crowley and Mazus. On a side note, did anybody see the movie Twelve Monkeys. It had a very interesting story line intertwining past, present, and future.

So what do you think? Does any of this make sense?
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, your theory is that Crowley and Mazus traveled back in time to wage their historically documented and legendary battle? Although the idea is extremely plausible, the main question I have is why would they travel back in time to have the battle when they could have done it right in the present. Why would they travel to the past? I'm just confused as the need for them to do that.

Also, if they met their true end on the mountains in the past, then why did they still exist many years later? If I'm remembering correctly, time travel will effect the events of the present. So, if they died in the past it would effect the present not allowing either of them to be alive and walking around as their present selves. Could you elaborate on how we managed to recruit them in the present if they traveled to the past and died? I'm not trying to be overly critical, but trying to understand your theory better.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Possible. But no more possible than any of the multiple theories.

The question, as Revolving Sphere has stated is "Why?" Any and all reasons we can come up with would be on the same level as fiction. There's nothing in any Suikoden publication to suggest that either of the two needed or wanted or had any interest in time travel.

But it is possible. If Mazus and Crowley travelled back in time some time after IS 460 (their last known appearances) they could obviously fight to the death in the Karkaras region and if this battle didn't affect their own parentage, there's no reason why they wouldn't be born on their respective birth-dates.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am not suggesting that they intentionally travelled through time to fight, or unintentionally for that matter. That would be up to whoever writes the stories for the game. As far as how they travelled, or when they travelled, or why they would travel back in time, even if it was up to them, who knows, maybe they didn't go back willingly, ect. ect. I have no explanation for these questions.

According to the timeline, Crowley was born in 345 and Mazus was born in 374. I'm not sure at what point they started their rivalry, let's just say it was around 450, before S1. Now, they could have been at each other for another 50 years or 100 years or however long you wish, doesn't really matter. Let's just say in the year 500, at this point, they travel back. The battle took place 340. It's not neccessary that they were transported exactly to this date, it could have been earlier than this.

It is just an explanation, probably not a very widely accepted one, of how they could be born after they died. I am not saying the reincarnation theory doesn't work or is not plausible.

As far as the details of how or why this time travel would take place could be up to you or me.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, then I'm trying to understand the purpose of your theory. You give a hypothesis for a pausible explanation, but don't have a feasible retraction as to why your said events would have occurred. You give a how, but do not attempt to explain the why. It's just that I thought you were going to show us a possible explanation and you sort of left us hanging when you got our interests. You give us nothing to really argue or debate.

You just give us a, dare I say, baseless theory and really don't try to defend it. I was just hoping you would at least try to explain why they would go back in time, as I would have found any explanation for this interesting. It's not whether I accept the theory or not, I just wanted to see if you would use your imagination to give credence to the theory you obviously worked on and had enough interest in to share with the members of this site.

I at least wanted you to have faith and stand behind the theory, but you seem to be like it can or cannot work and you don't explain why. I wanted to hear a little more from you on the subject. It's not our theory, but yours and you seem to ask us to fill in the holes and do the work for you. I wanted to at least see you attempt to fill in the holes yourself as this had the makings to give us a very different perspective on the two mysterious mages.

Please don't take this as me being overly critical, I just want to push you to stand behind your theory and not to just give up on it without looking at every possible angle that you have at your disposal. But, I guess there's not much in form of support, but I wanted to see if you could come up with something else we haven't thought of.

butters

The Keeping It Real Krew

1000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like this theory so im just going to throw this out there...

What if Crowley fled from Mazus (Or Mazus fled from Crowley) to another time period hoping to lose Mazus but he figured out the plot and gave chase to finally confront Crowley and they had there huge magical "OMG AMAZING!11! DUALZ11!!1" them being both wise and realising there actions affect the future so they go back to there normal time and BAM!

The Rivalery continues.

And there is they 'Why' (Its just a idea to help the topic creater out and give him ideas for his theory on why they would go back)
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The purpose of the time travel theory is simply to offer an explaination of how they could have died before they were born. You could argue if you agree or disagree with their reasoning. Did they have a legitimate reason to travel, or was it a foolish reason to travel. You could come up with numerous possibilities of why they decided to do what they did, or why not for that matter. We could debate all day and all night.

But now we are not even talking about the same thing. You are asking a question of choice, 'would someone do this?' I am asking a question of ability 'could someone do this?' I agree with you, I do not offer an explanation of why they would do this, but that was never my point. As far as trying to determine someone's reasoning for their actions, that is a completey different topic.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, this is not a theory and just a relative question then? I mean, if you ask could something happen, then yes, it could happen, but when you say I have a new theory that kind of implies that their will be an explanation or at least some evidencial reasoning as to how said events could have occured and not just a question as to whether or not something could have occured.

It is as you say, there are plenty of ways to decide whether they did or not and I was under the impression that you would give us one as it was your theory. I'm not asking a question of choice. In essence I'm not asking 'would someone do this?', but 'why you think they would do it even if they could do it?' as it was your theory. I guess I was just putting too much thought into it because you stated this was a theory and you offer a reason, but I guess I was just curious as to why you chose time travel among other options.

I mean, you establish the fact that it could happen, basically anything could happen with magic, but I think it is feasible to ask why it could happen or why it would happen. I think that fits into this discussion and is not a completely different topic at all. But, I won't push it if you don't want to discuss it, although I believe that this topic will not serve its purpose if we don't ask the questions how or why.

Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blah blah blah blah blah.

You know, maybe it's just the ginger ale talking, but I've just completely lost interest in this topic. I'm mean, it has just sucked me dry, trying to explain this over and over and over again. I was about half way through writing my response when I realized, "Hey. You know what this guy sounds like. You know what this guy sounds like to me? A story writer. Yes you heard me ladies and gents, a story writer who is hard up for ideas, trying to write the plot for suikoden 5. So he's hanging around the message boards at 1 o'clock in the morning tormenting us kids. Come on kid, tell me how it ended! Tell me how it ends, so help me or else you'll be sorry!"

Well I for one am not going to take it anymore. I can just see suikoden 5 coming out, and they have my twist ending that I posted on a message board for all to read. I'd be kicking myself so hard. " Oh man. Can you belive this man. That guy stole my script."

Anyway, against my better judgement, I present to you, the truth of how and and most importantly why Mazus and Crowley time travelled.

Well let's see... How does Vikki time travel you ask? We'll she usaully gets drunk or at least a little tipsy, and sneezes, and poof she's gone. Walla! Just like that folks. So let's set the scene. Well let's say Mazus just happens to be at this party, and Crowley just happens to be at this party as well, along with Vikki and what the heck a couple of those narcissists and an assortment of characters that really aren't important at this time. Why are they at this party you ask? Oh good, I'm glad you asked. Well I don't know actually...uh how about for world peace. Alright, anyways, so Mazus and Crowley have been knockin' back a few beers, both a little drunk, both a little tipsy. Feelin' good, havin' a good time. When Crowley, on his way to the restroom steps on Mazus shoe.

So Mazus is like, "Whoa bro! Watch where your going!"

And Crowley's like, "Oh totally my bad bro."

So everything's cosher for now. However, as the evening progresses Mazus and Crowley keep knocking 'em back, I mean these guys are like machines just one, after another, after another, then finally Crowley has to go to the bathroom again, you know, to drain the main vein. This time however, fate peaks out its ugly little head out from the corner, and Crowley, once again, steps on Mazus' shoe.

"Whoa bro! I know you just didn't step on my shoe again bro."

And Crowleys like, "So what if I did bro, what are you going to do huh?"

Then Mazus is like, "What am I going to do?"

Then Crowley's like, "Huh!"

Then Mazus is like, "Huh?"

Then Crowley's like, "What?"

And then Vikki's like, "Come one guys, stop fighting and have another beer, like, you know, whatever! Cause, you know, we're just livin' <hick> and lovin' and just... came here to have a....zzzz.... came here to have a good time, you know ha ha ha ah... AH... AH... AHCHOOOOO!" and sneezes, and sends them back to the year 340, and the rest is history.

Happy now?
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another intersting thing is Crowley is also the "ancient wizard" who created combo magic. So, this means Crowley probably learned combo magic from Crowley, who was actually himself who traveled back in time back to "ancient times" to write down his work.

But then, when did everything start? When exactly did Crowley first learn combo magic? Is that even possible? Because if Crowley learns combo magic from timewarped Crowley, that means he would have never invented combo magic, meaning he could not have created combo magic in the first place! Either that or there are infinite parallel worlds where things are slightly different than other worlds.

*stabs self*

I am confused. :?
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup! I'm most pleased now. That was a very interesting explanation. ;-)

Kenshiro Miyamoto

The Cherry Blossom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True as it may i agree with it thats a good explanation about things wouldnt you say?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did this turn into "I have no evidence to support my theory and thus will use comedy as a smokescreen to run the hell away"?

Quote:

Another intersting thing is Crowley is also the "ancient wizard" who created combo magic. So, this means Crowley probably learned combo magic from Crowley, who was actually himself who traveled back in time back to "ancient times" to write down his work.

But then, when did everything start? When exactly did Crowley first learn combo magic? Is that even possible? Because if Crowley learns combo magic from timewarped Crowley, that means he would have never invented combo magic, meaning he could not have created combo magic in the first place! Either that or there are infinite parallel worlds where things are slightly different than other worlds.

And as far as this goes... It is confusing. A theory for that would be Crowley may have originally came up with combo magic in the future (let's say... IS 500) but Mazus, being his number one pupil and now his nemesis and possibly even his equal, could have come up with his own variation shortly afterwards. His big trump-card or advantage lost, Crowley travels back in time and leaves his texts somewhere where only the future Crowely will find them in around the time when its stated Crowely does discover combo magic. Mazus follows him back in time and with his plan essentially 'complete', Crowley battles Mazus and they both die. In the present, 'our' Crowley discovers the texts and comes up with combo magic at a much earlier date, probably without the knowledge that these texts were 'planted' by his future self. And the time-line continues as we know it.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Did this turn into "I have no evidence to support my theory and thus will use comedy as a smokescreen to run the hell away"?

The evidence is that they were borm in 345 and 374, then died in 340. If that's not evidence, I don't know what is.

The comedic story was just for laughs and giggles.

As far as coming up with a story as to why or the purpose they did this, would be lame. I could write a book about it, but why would you consider that to be evidence?

But I do ask, why is everyone so convinced they reincarnated. What is the evidence for that? Why is that so believable but time travel isn't?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reincarnation or the relocation of a soul via the medium of magic is a long standing ancient idea used in many stories. The use of magic to achieve time travel... not so much. I can accept time travel as a possiblity but there's little precedent for it in any form of fiction set in a similar world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: