Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

relatioships in suikoden
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuel Iaydhen

The Blind Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: relatioships in suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think the 'love stories' in suikoden shouldn't be taken too seriously. . i mean it is just some spice to the game. but that doesn't mean that the story should revolve around it. like i know everyone is anxious about this mysterious ex husband of apple but it is really no big deal in the story. for me the most interesting part of suikoden is light romance like rina flirting with flik and having this 'adult' conversation with a highland souldier. for me that's what makes the game so fun. . . :P

(by the way i don't think flik and viktor are gay. flik just can't get over odessa that's why he remained single. as for viktor; who would fall for his looks anyway?)
Gaius Abruscato

Swordsmen of Morricone

2109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the fact that most romance in the suikoden world is often incredibly subtle, and that you can either agree with it, or ignore it. You can couple together whoever you want to see as a couple, because the story usually just doesn't go into it. Even when there is a very definate coupleing, nine times out of ten it's not fully explained an no one knows for certain whether it's true or not.
This is of course, all excepting a few absolute couples, Like Flik and Odessa, Freed and Yoshino, and couples like that, which are intertwined in the plot.

The person who plays the game can decide who they like to see together, though, and that gives the game a nicely personal flavor. (much as the nameless hero, and freedom to build the castle and/or recruit people theme does.) The game offers so much for everyone to discover or think about for themselves! If people want to focus on, "I wonder who this rumored wife/husband of *Blank* is!" They can. Or, if they want to say "I think romance is boring. I'm glad suikoden doesn't have much" They can. Or, yes, even if they want to say "I think Vic and Flik are gay and a couple" They can say that too.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think some of the romance should be taken seriously, though might not be *that* seriously. I mean, an example like the "Eilie having a crush on Riou" is indeed an indication by Konami to show that Eilie had a crush on Riou. So if anyone said that Eilie liked Futch instead, they could, but it wouldn't really make sense.

To me, I don't really enjoy people coupling characters freely with no basis at all. I would prefer people to couple the characters if they have some hints that would support it. Coupling characters without any basis could annoy me if those who believed it insisted about it as if it is a fact, which we know it wasn't. I would prefer to consider the characters without any specific hint about crush/love as simply in love (if ever) with normal civillians and not with any particular named-character in the game. So characters like Sid, Sansuke, Adlai, etc would fall into this category for me rather than considering them to be falling in love with particular female characters in the game.

The tricky part is the homosexual coupling, may it be male-male or female-female, because those who believe it most likely based it on the close relationship between the two characters (example: Rina-Eilie, Fliktor, Seed-Culgan, Miklotov-Camus, etc) which IMO were only meant to be friends. I'm not against homosexuals, but I don't think it's really fair to consider a character to be homosexual when there was no intention by the creator to make them a homosexual. If there were any intention by Konami to create one (or more) homosexual character(s), I think they would make it clear that x is homosexual or at the least, give very strong hints about it. And so far, to me, no such homosexual couple yet.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. Most every RPG out there nowadays has that horrible cliche romance in it between the hero and their friend. That's why I like Suikoden so much, most of the time everything in the game is all up tp opinion and you can decide what you want to beleive is the truth.

However, even though romance isn't usually a main part of the story in Suikoden, Konami proved that it could work in S3 with Luc and Sarah. Sure it wasn't that important to the story, but it was the closest it's been so far. (Though I guess you could count Flik/Odessa and Jowy/Jillia too, but Odessa wasn't really in the game for that long. And you hardly saw Jillia that much either.)

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Romance has played important roles in Suikoden. If not for Barbarossa's feelings toward Windy there really wouldn't have been much of a Suikoden I.

It is true that romance in Suikoden is relatively lowkey. Since the series uses silent main characters there is not as much emphasis on romantic interaction between the character and others as a major plot point, ala Final Fantasy VIII.

But romance is important in developing the characters of Suikoden. Flik changes because of his relationship with Odessa, Hix decides to fight for Tengaar, etc. While it is trivial, Apple's relationship with her ex-husband would serve to give insight into her character. It is this broad array of relationships that helps to give the Suikoden characters depth and meaning.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: relatioships in suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ladyapple wrote:
as for viktor; who would fall for his looks anyway?)

Not sure if I'm alone in this or not but, personally? If Viktor were real I would go out with him in a heartbeat. He's quite handsome and he has a good personality. (And I would say Annabelle definately fell for his charm as well.) Just because a guy doesn't look like the average bishie out there doesn't mean there aren't going to be girls who find him attractive. :wink:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

I like how the relationships in Suikoden are kept, for the most part, in the backround. I like how none of the main heroes are in relationships; it's such a nice change over RPGs where basically at least 1/4th of the game is spent trying to woo/rescue (x) hero's lady love. I find that boring. I like how the couples in the game tend to be low key relationships; even the married ones. It makes the few romantic moments between them that much more sweet.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Seiferalmasy1930

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well , it can't be helped . I mean video games sometimes can bring a player to an emotional state where he also would want to assimilate into the feelings of the character he controls . But of course , whether he can draw the line for a reference to moderate his feelings is another .

Visit Kika or get your Kika goodies at :

http://www.geocities.com/seiferia/kikaindex.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Excalibur1027 wrote:
I agree. Most every RPG out there nowadays has that horrible cliche romance in it between the hero and their friend. .)

I say there should be an RPG where the hero gets infatatuated with the antagonist! or they were lovers/best friends but like...they have to be pulled apart by some cosmic battle.
0_o like in um X(X/1999) where those two characters were best pals (wait no clamp I hear makes everyone gay lovers?)
altough some players may not like the idea of that, but it makes it intresting....moreso if matters of the soul are thrown in, repentanc and such...the fallen antagonist friend/lover can be redeemed (who knows maybe they were half possessed) and they can forgive their friend for killing them(in your classic rpg battle way).

it will give the players lessions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

King Jarrett wrote:
if u ask me...their is no homosexual or lesbian relationships

Hey now, doesn't Milich/Kasios count? :P Unless that's one-sided...
Kira Yamato

Dragon Army

7000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have loved to see Eilie admit to Riou that she loves him. Now that would be adorable. I wish Suikoden 2 was remade.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

percival + chris?
Midori

Stijgende Zielen

53473 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: relatioships in suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
ladyapple wrote:
as for viktor; who would fall for his looks anyway?)

Not sure if I'm alone in this or not but, personally? If Viktor were real I would go out with him in a heartbeat. He's quite handsome and he has a good personality. (And I would say Annabelle definately fell for his charm as well.) Just because a guy doesn't look like the average bishie out there doesn't mean there aren't going to be girls who find him attractive. :wink:

You're not the only one ;). I'd do that too if he's a real person or someone almost like him...*is a crazed Viktor fan*

I don't really mind about the love parts in any game. I like how Suikoden deals with it. The love scenes are just put out randomly and away from the plot and you usually don't see it talked about when you progress the story (unless you want to, side quests and all).
Erinyes

Zephyr Quill

7589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes they are fun

I don't know why people like Eilee x Riou...what's Eilee's personality that perfectly matches Riou?

Anyhow, the couples I want are:

Sierra x Tir :Tir has no exact personality and had been showed many times Kasumi liked Tir but Tir simply had appriciated this concern (similar to Gaiden). He usually is carefree and curious yet stubborn but after the war, he turned out to be quite and unusual with the True Rune. Sierra had been through this as for being a vampire and met worse things but look, she could still smile.

Konami had mentioned that they really had planned for a Sierra x Nash but anyway, these are our claims ^^

Back to the couple...it would be good if this saddened boy is with this girl who had overcomed this pain and it would be nice for Sierra to know someone is like her and is currently going through what she had felt....

Riou x Wakaba/Millie : Riou is a lazy bum =O it would be fun to have someone active and noisy....and never-gives-up (likely Wakaba) partner. Not Nanami though...she could be angsty. Anyhow, Futch does fit Millie though :)

Jowy x Ayda : a burst came out my thoughts and this appeared....Ayda is very strong about her intentions and she's very wise . She may had her dreams shattered once and she is an idealist about the forest like the way Jowy expressed his during the war....
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have to agree; viktor is a 'manly' man, something that appeals to me more than any pretty boy *see geddoe.* while i do find some of the pretty boys appealing, they don't distract me from manly guys, when games have them, unfortunately, most games tend to favor girly boys as characters.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know I am probably the only one that would think this, but it would be a nice addition to Suikoden if you could actually have some females that you could try to romance with. You could get an ending with one of them, or an ending by yourself, sortof like Fire Emblem...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: